Happy B-day Marc

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

bobobolas10
Senior
And1: 307

Happy B-day Marc 

Post#1 » by bobobolas10 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:52 am

1st of February of 2007.

I was living at that time in Turku, Finland. I was coming back from a quick trip to Saint Petersburg. (that was our Atlantic City or Las Vegas.) Grizzlies record by then was 13-33. First thing I did was to switch on the computer to watch a few games that I could not watch because of Russia and then it all exploded. The franchise had changed forever. 180º turn.

Grizzlies acquired Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton, Aaron McKie , the draft rights to Marc Gasol and first round picks in 2008 and 2010.

We traded a 2nd rounder in 2010 and Pau Gasol. The leader that lead us to 0-12 in playoff but still. By large our best player, our biggest contract and our Franchise player after all.

Everybody without exception made fun of us. The Lakers were a 1st round playoff team and all of a sudden, they were not only contenders, but arguably, the best team in nba. (time proved it was right) We recieved Kwame Brown, 1st pick in the nba draft and a complete let down. Retired Aaron Mckie. The nowadays jailed Crittenton. We were the joke.

Three years later, we had a record of 46-36 to make the 8th seed. Against the Spurs again. Given our 0-12 record nothing felt right. But in those three years plenty things had changed. We had Marc Gasol as an anchor. Conley from 2007 was a reliable PG now. Zbo and allen arrived that summer in the team. And Gay was injured for good (OJ mayo took the starting rol) Ever since we have been in playoff (3rd best active streak)

Marc Gasol is our leader, our anchor in D and on the offensive end. Known for his passing ability. He is a 3point threat now. Former defensive player of the year. One of the most unselfish nba stars. The real prove that sometimes numbers lie (he is the best center in the league despite not averaging 30ppg 15rebounds and 3 blocks per game) He played in Lausanne Collegiate School. He is a Memphian and we love him. NOBODY had a doubt about him staying in Memphis. The only bad thing we can say of him is: please shoot more, be more selfish.

Happy 32nd birthday

Career highlights and awards
3× NBA All-Star (2012, 2015, 2017)
NBA Defensive Player of the Year (2013)
All-NBA First Team (2015)
All-NBA Second Team (2013)
NBA All-Defensive Second Team (2013)
NBA All-Rookie Second Team (2009)

To sum up:

Game against the raptors 6 days ago. Check his skillset on the offensive end.

My favourite moment of the season:

Passing highlights:
"Take that for Data!"
jumivi
Senior
And1: 41

Re: Happy B-day Marc 

Post#2 » by jumivi » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:48 pm

Nice post!
btw why u r a Grizz fan?
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#3 » by SD2042 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:30 pm

Great job with the tribute bobololas! Marc would definitely like this post!
bobobolas10
Senior

Post#4 » by bobobolas10 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:03 pm

jumivi wrote:Nice post!
btw why u r a Grizz fan?

When Michael Jordan retired (after the Jazz final). I used to watch games but just randomly. Whatever they would broadcast in spanish media. That'd be 2-3 games a week and many highlights from other games. I did not have a team to be honest. I knew I liked the Knicks, Lakers, Spurs...and I knew I hater suns, Kings, Raptors...

So I decided I had to choose a team to support. A team to follow up and check things beside the game itself.Like salaries, draft options and all that. I heard that Vancouver Grizzlies were moving to Memphis so, why not start all over with them?

Later on, The Grizzlies picked Pau Gasol and as I am spaniard, It looked like I got into the Pau bandwagon. Far from that. He is gone and I am still here. Marc will leave one day and I will stay as well. :D
"Take that for Data!"
bobobolas10
Senior

Post#5 » by bobobolas10 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:15 pm

A great documentary from spanish TV (English subtitles) Worth watching. From 2013

"Take that for Data!"

Return to Memphis Grizzlies