ImageImage

Grizzlies Training Camp

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Re: Grizzlies Training Camp 

Post#21 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Wed Oct 8, 2008 9:16 pm

I'm still in the camp for making a play for Kirilenko. He fits along with the Josh Smith mold of what Wallace was trying when he took a shot at signing him. I could easily see a return to AK47's numbers prior to Boozers arrival. It would also be a huge defensive improvement.

Other players I could see the Grizz targeting (with a chance of being attainable) would include Drew Gooden (yeah - I typed that), Shawn Marion, Al Herrington, Sean Williams, Anderson Varejao, Zaza Pachulia, Paul Millsap and possibly even Shelden Williams. Most, if not all, of these guys would be a step up from Hakim in regards to what the Grizz need.
bgassassin
Starter
And1: 0

Post#22 » by bgassassin » Wed Oct 8, 2008 9:25 pm

GrizzledGrizzFan wrote: Drew Gooden (yeah - I typed that)

*takes GGF's keyboard*

You ain't typin' nothin' homeboy!
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#23 » by SD2042 » Wed Oct 8, 2008 10:34 pm

:lol:

AK-47 is still #1 on the grizz wish list.

Sean Williams would be of solid help on the defensive side of the ball and can chip in on offense.

On Zaza, I wanted the Grizz to get him a couple of yrs ago when he was a free agent. he would've helped out at the C position. As a PF, I don't think Zaza wouldn't be as efficient due to his lack of versitility.

Never mention Drew Gooden ever again. That should've been Caron Butler selected at the 4th pick back in 2002. :nonono:
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Thu Oct 9, 2008 1:45 am

Never mention Drew Gooden ever again. That should've been Caron Butler selected at the 4th pick back in 2002.

And we passed on Boozer twice - yeah, I HONESTLY would have been happy with him at 4, prior to breakout. I felt, even then, that he could play "center" to Pau's 4. Robert effing Archibald...
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#25 » by SD2042 » Thu Oct 9, 2008 4:29 am

We will forever be cursed by the decisions of Jerry West from here to doomsday.

On Bozzer playing center, not likely. He's better playing PF considering he's a legit 6'8.
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Thu Oct 9, 2008 12:49 pm

At that time Pau was still fixated on ONLY being a 4. My point was draft Boozer and tell Pau "gee Pau, you're still the 4 and Carlos is the center", when in reality Boozer would be the PF and Pau the center.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#27 » by Downtown » Thu Oct 9, 2008 3:19 pm

What do you guys make of Warrick's fast start in the two pre season games? Is he more motivated this season in his free agency year? Does he think he has a legit shot at being the starting power forward and wants to prove it to management? Is it a case of him putting in extra work in the off season? Is it a case of him finally figuring it all out and knows how to use his strengths to his advantage?

Whatever it is it can only be good for Memphis. I know it's way way too early to read too much into it but if he can play a bigger role this year it can give the Grizzlies so much more in terms of options and breathing room. Think about it. If he nails down the starting power forward position he could be a prime asset at the trade deadline. Or he could be looked at as a fixture for the future since Memphis can match any offers for a him. And if he does look good it takes the pressure off to make a knee jerk trade for a power forward and instead puts them in a better position of power in trade proposals.

We need to give it time for sure but the optimist in me thinks that besides all the mistakes a young team with new faces are going to obviously make it could be fun to watch this team grow and come together despite knowing they have an extremely thin hope of being a playoff team this season. Maybe not having the pressure on them to win will produce lots of great moments and give hope to the future.

My biggest problem is since I live in Vancouver and the Grizzlies aren't a top level team I'll only get a small handful of games on TV. If they played in the East I would get alot more since I subscribe to Raptors TV and get tons of games but they are mostly eastern ones.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#28 » by Downtown » Thu Oct 9, 2008 3:32 pm

As far as other power forwards I've stated my case about not taking a high profile, high paid player just to get through one or two seasons. Kirilenko, at the right price would be a great asset though. Already he looks like he's coming off the bench this season. In a year where the Jazz have to make a big decision with Boozer's contract, plus the max extension to Williams, to other players like Okur, I'm sure Utah is seriously contemplating how important it is to keep Kirilenko and his huge contract as a bench player. I wouldn't sacrifice the future but at the right price I would take AK47 on the Grizzlies.

I also used to like Pachulia when he was an up and comer. He's still young but I think he has reached his potential. While it's always good to have a hardnosed inside player, his skillset isn't going to elevate a team like Memphis. Plus as mentioned, even though he came into the league as more of a power forward like Darko did, he has been used almost strictly as a center.

Marion? Since he would be a rent a player you have to wonder how motivated he would be and what kind of leadership he would be willing to provide to the young players. I will say that Heisley might like to have him just to bring up the attendance numbers.

I've gone on record before as saying a player like Sean Williams makes sense for Memphis. But I don't see the Nets giving him up.

I think management will want to get a better look at players like Arthur and Gasol, then evaluate the situation before making any deals. That's why I've been setting the trade deadline as the timeframe for any moves unless a no brainer falls into their laps, but that's wishful thinking.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#29 » by SD2042 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:58 am

It's a likely chance if the Grizzlies were to make any moves later, the trade deadline would be the time to pull one. That way they have their evaluations up to date on where they are as a team and to determine what pieces they are able to add to the puzzle.

Traning camp note: Grizzlies waived PF/C Malick Badiane
http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... k_badiane/
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#30 » by jman3134 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:38 pm

Man, my favorite player just left training camp because of personal matters. Hopefully he tries to come back with the Grizz....
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#31 » by SD2042 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:51 pm

^^ Which player jman?

Tonight's match

Grizzlies Starters

PG Mike Conley
SG O.J. Mayo
SF Rudy Gay
PF Hakim Warrick
C Marc Gasol

Pacers Starters

PG Jarrett Jack
SG Brandon Rush
SF Danny Granger
PF Austin Croshere
C Rasho Nestorovic
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#32 » by jman3134 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:10 pm

Sort of old news, but Michael Dickerson.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#33 » by SD2042 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:38 pm

That's right, Mike D from early last week. I was looking to see which current Grizz had to leave camp for personal reasons. I hate that his injury wouldn't allow him to recover well enough to resume his career.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies