Radio: WRBO 103.5FM
TV: FSN South

My Starting Lineup:

The Bench

The Coach

VS

THE ROCKETS

Full Game Preview To Follow

Another strong season for the Houston Rockets resulted in yet another bitter playoff disappointment in 2007-08. The controversial addition of Ron Artest may give them their best chance yet to snap out of that familiar pattern.

Artest makes his Houston debut as the Rockets begin their quest for their first postseason success in more than a decade on Wednesday night by hosting the rebuilding Memphis Grizzlies in each team's season opener.

Houston suffered its sixth consecutive first-round exit from the playoffs last spring, and still hasn't won a playoff series since advancing to the Western Conference finals in 1997.

The Rockets' latest postseason failure overshadowed their surprising regular season, during which they put together the second-longest win streak in NBA history at 22 games and finished 55-27 despite losing Yao Ming to a stress fracture in his left foot in February and missing Tracy McGrady for much of the season because of nagging injuries.

With Yao and McGrady getting healthy again and Artest on board, the Rockets hope to take the next step this season.

"I've been waiting for this for a while," said the 29-year-old McGrady, limited to 66 games last season because of elbow, knee and shoulder problems. "I know I get criticized for not leading my team out of the playoffs, but it's hard when you don't have those pieces to elevate you to that next level. Now I have that. We'll see what happens."

Artest brings more than his share of baggage. He's perhaps best known for his role in the brawl with fans at The Palace of Auburn Hills during a game early in 2004-05. He was suspended for the remainder of that season, a total of 73 games -- the league's harshest punishment ever for a fight.

Artest, a 6-foot-7, 246-pound forward who averaged 20.5 points, 5.8 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 2.3 steals for Sacramento last season, has also been arrested for domestic abuse and had a dog seized from his California home because it was malnourished.

He insists, however, that he's not going to be making any more trouble with the Rockets.

"I'll be ready," he said after the trade was made official in August. "Whatever (coach Rick Adelman) needs me to do, come off the bench, be the sixth or seventh man, start, I don't even care. Whatever he needs me to do, I'm 100 percent sure it's going to work."

Artest could be particularly integral for the Rockets with McGrady's status for Wednesday still uncertain. The two-time league scoring champ revealed at the start of training camp that his left shoulder was arthritic and will require surgery after this season. McGrady also said his left knee was healing slower than expected from surgery in the spring.

"I'm gaining confidence," he said Tuesday. "I've been through three straight practices, grinding it out. A game is going to be a little bit different. Hopefully, it's all positive, because I want to get out there with the guys."

Meanwhile, Yao has proclaimed himself 100 percent healthy and will start against Southwest Division rival Memphis, which has finished in last place in the division with a 22-60 record each of the last two seasons.

The Grizzlies, though, have higher hopes for 2008-09 thanks to a wealth of young talent led by Rudy Gay. The 6-foot-9 swingman emerged as a star last season, joining Cleveland's LeBron James as the only players in the league to average at least 20.0 points, 6.0 rebounds, 2.0 assists, 1.0 blocks and 1.0 steals.

Gay was limited to 12.8 points and 36.7 percent shooting from the field as Memphis dropped three of four meetings with Houston last season.

He will be joined by rookie guard O.J. Mayo, who's making the leap to the NBA after one season at Southern California. The No. 3 overall pick impressed second-year coach Marc Iavaroni with his preseason performance.

"He has displayed the character and quality you need in a great player and potentially a great leader," Iavaroni said.

"He's willing to work hard, he's willing to be coachable, he's willing to fight through adversity, he's willing to fight through inconsistency whether he's getting 28 points one night or eight the next. He's shown a real resilience that's going to be real important to him, especially at this point of his career."

Iavaroni's club was 0-2 at the Toyota Center last season, extending its losing streak there to four games dating to a 93-81 victory April 15, 2006. ESPN.COM
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,551

Re: Grizzlies at Rockets 

Post#2 » by BarbaGrizz » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:28 pm

Who´s #13? Ross?

Also, Haddadi looks goods in Grizz uniform. Can´t wait to see him play.
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
A.J.
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#3 » by A.J. » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:18 am

Rockets fan here:

Good luck to you guys tomorrow. Hopefully it becomes a good game. I really like your young team. You guys have a bright future.
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Post#4 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:23 pm

If Houston remains healthy, they'll be among the best in the West. I'm hoping for a competitive game tonight from the Grizz - tough way to start out though.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 635

Post#5 » by jefe » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:09 pm

Tough road game to start the season, but I can't wait to get a look at both teams.
MalReyn
Analyst
And1: 5

Post#6 » by MalReyn » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 am

I've been watching snippets of this game, and let me just say Memphis looks MUCH better than they did last year. Mayo looks erratic, but the talent is there. However, the biggest difference is unquestionably the presence of Gasol and Arthur. Really doing an outstanding job in the paint.

I don't know if you guys will make the playoffs, but I have no doubt you're a much better team than you were.
A.J.
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#7 » by A.J. » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:05 am

Good game guys.
It didnt go exactly as planned, you guys played better than expected.
Good luck for the rest of the season. Until we meet again.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#8 » by jman3134 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:10 am

DD, so Rudy Gay is still not a viable first weapon with the addition of Mayo?
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#9 » by SD2042 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:12 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt= ... 2008102910

Tough loss, but at least they showed some sense of toughness at times during the game. Going 0-12 from beyond the arc was rough as Mayo going 5 of 20 from the field. Darrell Arthr did well in his rookie debut scoring 11pts and hittin the boards for 15rebs. it's only the first game of the season hich means these guys need time to get back into the feel of things and for the rookies to gain experience by learning as much as they go.
boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Post#10 » by boogiesdad » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:55 am

the one change that needs to be made is pulling Darko out of the rotation. He still seems lost and based on last night DA and HAK can man that spot.
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Post#11 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:59 pm

Arthur needs to start at 4 ongoing with Darko backing up Marc and hack behind 00. Marc and Arthur will have their ups and downs, but they looked legit against a very tough (and deep) front line. Yao, Scola, Hayes and Landry are beasts on the boards. Gasol didn't look like a rookie either.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#12 » by Downtown » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:29 pm

It's a long season and I imagine there will be a number of experiments with the center/power forward combinations, but based on last night, which I know is way too early in the season, I agree that a combination of Gasol and Arthur, with Milicic and Warrick backing up seems like the best lineup to start.

I think there is going to be enough minutes to go around since two rookies starting are bound to get into alot of foul trouble and having vets coming off the bench is a pretty good ploy when the momentum calls for a change up. Darko and Warrick have more experience and could step in and stop the bleeding where I don't know if Gasol and Arthur would know as much mentally to step in off the bench.

It looks like Gasol and Arthur are the better talents and on given nights they could step up and make a big difference when they're hot. But they will certainly have their ups and downs as rookies. That's when Milicic and Warrick step in.

But for those two to have double doubles against experienced talent like Yao and Scola is a very good sign.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies