ImageImage

Rudy Gay- Trade him or keep him?

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

I Am Awesome-O
Rookie
And1: 544

Rudy Gay- Trade him or keep him? 

Post#1 » by I Am Awesome-O » Sun Feb 1, 2009 10:50 pm

Who thinks it is time to trade Rudy Gay? I personally don't think we need to trade him at all, unless Chris Bosh or Amare Stoudemire become available and we are confident that we can re-sign either of them after 2010. Otherwise, I think we should let him develop under Lionel Hollins, a coach he obviously respects more than Iavaroni, because he will almost surely be a perennial all-star. But for some reason, there is talk around Memphis that Rudy should be on his way out. Again, I don't think we should be looking to trade him, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be taking calls for him.

There are a actually few pretty good reasons get rid of him. First of all, he really does act like a child sometimes. When Ivy was the coach, he would roll his eyes or pout every time Iavaroni said something to him. That has changed now that Lionel is the head coach, but his actions toward Ivy were very unprofessional.

Secondly, Rudy Gay could possibly land us a star big man like Chris Bosh or STAT. However, the problem I have with both of those players is the fact that they can just walk in 2010. If their teams could give them extensions before they traded them, or if we were sure that we could re-sign them in 2010, I would not think twice about trading a package featuring Rudy for either one of them.

Lastly, Rudy could land us a young, rising star big-man such as Michael Beasley. If Miami does in fact sign Carlos Boozer this summer, here is a deal I think both the HEAT and the Grizz would benefit from (pot sweatners such as Hakim Warrick could be added to Miami's incoming package)-

Grizzlies get- Michael Beasley, Udonis Haslem, Daequan Cook, James Jones

Heat get- Rudy Gay, Kyle Lowry, Darko Milicic, Marko Jaric

ESPN.com - NBA - Trade Machine Results

What do you guys think? Should we trade Rudy Gay? Would you trade him if he could land us Bosh, STAT, or Beasley? Would both the HEAT and the Grizz accept the Gay for Beasley swap?
grizzleGM
Analyst
And1: 0

Re: Rudy Gay- Trade him or keep him? 

Post#2 » by grizzleGM » Mon Feb 2, 2009 2:52 am

1st... I don't think Rudy should be traded at this point.

2nd... Gay will not net you Bosh or Amare.

3rd... The last thing this team needs is Beasley. HE DOES NOT PLAY TOUGH DOWN LOW!!!

This team needs to just sit still and either get lucky and draft Griffin or sign Milsap this summer.
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Post#3 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Mon Feb 2, 2009 3:18 am

grizzleGM wrote:1st... I don't think Rudy should be traded at this point.

3rd... The last thing this team needs is Beasley. HE DOES NOT PLAY TOUGH DOWN LOW!!!

This team needs to just sit still and either get lucky and draft Griffin or sign Milsap this summer.

Certified. grizzleGM is wise.
SportsFan215
Assistant Coach
And1: 60

Post#4 » by SportsFan215 » Mon Feb 2, 2009 9:55 pm

Would you guys trade him this summer in a S&T of Carlos Boozer?
I Am Awesome-O
Rookie

Post#5 » by I Am Awesome-O » Mon Feb 2, 2009 10:59 pm

1) I don't think Gay should be traded either. I think he will be a superstar, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be taking calls for him. What if a team makes an incredible offer for Gay that the Grizzlies can't refuse?

2) You don't think that a package of Rudy Gay, a future star small forward, and Mike Conley, a very talented point guard who would thrive in the Suns' system, could get Amare Stoudemire, a mega-talented offensive big man who plays almost no defense and has shown great displeasure in Phoenix and has a good chance to leave Phoenix in 2010, leaving the Suns with nothing? You don't think that package could get the Grizzlies Chris Bosh? Sure he is a franchise power forward and an all-star, but he has also hinted that he might leave Toronto in 2010. Are they just going to let their franchise big man leave for nothing? Hell, the only way I would do these deals on the Memphis side would be if Bosh or STAT got an extension before the trade was made. Otherwise, I would stay away from both of these players and their 2010 expiring contracts.

3) Good point. I would actually prefer Griffin to Beasley because he is very tough inside and he can score and rebound inside extremely well because he is so athletic. I just mentioned Beasley's name because, even though Beasley is a tweener, he still has a ton of talent. I think Gay will be the better player than Beasley when it is all said and done, but if we do wind up trading Gay, I would want a player like Beasley, who is young and will almost surely be a star.
I Am Awesome-O
Rookie

Post#6 » by I Am Awesome-O » Mon Feb 2, 2009 11:04 pm

SportsFan215 wrote:Would you guys trade him this summer in a S&T of Carlos Boozer?

Not in a million years. Boozer doesn't have anywhere near the trade value of Gay, let alone the fact that he is an unrestricted free agent this summer. If the Grizzlies want Boozer, they can just go after him in free agency. As long as we give him the most money, we would have a very good chance of getting him.

But I'm not so sure that they are interested in Boozer, an aging, injury-riddled power forward who was so easily replace by an undersized 2nd rounder. I would rather have Millsap in Memphis, and the front office probably would as well.
SportsFan215
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by SportsFan215 » Mon Feb 2, 2009 11:47 pm

How about this deal:

Clippers Get: Gay/Darko
Clippers Give: Kaman/Hart

Pistons Get: Kaman/Hart
Pistons Give: Rip/Max

Grizzlies Get: Rip/Max
Grizzlies Give: Gay/Darko
grizzleGM
Analyst

Post#8 » by grizzleGM » Tue Feb 3, 2009 12:41 am

GrizzledGrizzFan wrote:

Certified. grizzleGM is wise.

Unfortunately... that wisdom came after about 2800 posts!!! :lol:

I think right now you are going to get low-balled for Gay. He did not like Iavaroni and his play was greatly hampered by that style (if it was actually a style).
icealucard
Freshman

Post#9 » by icealucard » Tue Feb 3, 2009 1:13 am

Trade it...

Memphis Acquired
- JOneal
- Moon

Toronto Acquired
- Gay
- Millicic
Teamwork is the ability to work as a group toward a common vision, even if that vision becomes extremely blurry.
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,553

Post#10 » by BarbaGrizz » Tue Feb 3, 2009 4:10 am

Why would Memphis trade for JO and an almost 30 yo sophmore?
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
SportsFan215
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by SportsFan215 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 5:40 am

If the Griz were to trade Rudy, what would they realistically want in return besides Bosh or Amare?
icealucard
Freshman

Post#12 » by icealucard » Tue Feb 3, 2009 8:04 am

Memphis needs a center that can control the boards and defensive stuff.,
and JOneal is the best fit for them..,
and it would be a nice Duo together with OJ Mayo..,

what do you think?.., :D
Teamwork is the ability to work as a group toward a common vision, even if that vision becomes extremely blurry.
Slyk
Junior
And1: 5

Post#13 » by Slyk » Tue Feb 3, 2009 11:30 am

Marc says hi and that trade is ugly
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,553

Post#14 » by BarbaGrizz » Tue Feb 3, 2009 12:08 pm

Memphis need a PF. Our center for now and for the future is Marc.
And Memphis don´t need a 14/7 who´s paid 20M/year
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
jefe
General Manager
And1: 636

Post#15 » by jefe » Tue Feb 3, 2009 1:14 pm

I Am Awesome-O wrote:
What do you guys think? Should we trade Rudy Gay? Would you trade him if he could land us Bosh, STAT, or Beasley? Would both the HEAT and the Grizz accept the Gay for Beasley swap?

As a general point, no, we shouldn't trade Rudy. Of course, if a trade that generated a windfall for Memphis came along, then you trade him (but that's not saying much - that same logic applies to every player in the league, short of Lebron or Kobe). As for a Gay and Beasley swap, I don't think Miami would accept it ATM, but if (a) Marion walks, (b) MIA acquires a big name pf, and (c) Beasley is utterly incapable of playing the 3 - then maybe it's possible down the road.
DBurks2818
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,034

Post#16 » by DBurks2818 » Wed Feb 4, 2009 12:19 am

I'm sorry, but that's an awful trade for Miami. They have no need for Lowry now with Chalmers being a second-round gem, the emergence of Daequan Cook and his remaining potential makes him a keeper for a long time, and I'm pretty sure Miami believes Beasley is going to be better than Rudy Gay (or at least a comparable player, and a better fit). He's willingly holding himself back to help Miami be a solid playoff team right now and could easily be putting up 21-8 on any lottery team in the NBA. Check out his per-36 numbers and they're right up there with Rose and Mayo at their statistical peak this season.

And I don't even have to mention having to take back Jaric and giving up the team captain and glue player in Haslem.

Rudy's a great player, but this just doesn't make sense.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies