Not right now but in the near future
83%

Total votes: 6

memphesis2
Ballboy
And1: 0

Do you think Hollins should be fired? 

Post#1 » by memphesis2 » Thu Mar 5, 2009 3:53 pm

What do you think? Should he be fired or not.
You pick and please explain your selves as to why you picked your selections by placing comments. Thank You. I personally think he should be because he is taking this team into the wrong direction and hes not giving players a chance to play more when they are good during the whole game depending on the minutes they get. For the last sentence an example is Hakkim Warrick and Marc Gasol need to be given more minutes while guys like Darius Miles, Greg Buckner and Marco Jaric who are not producing as much shouldn't be given as much minutes .
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Re: Do you think Hollins should be fired? 

Post#2 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Thu Mar 5, 2009 5:21 pm

Too soon to tell. No liking what I'm seeing. Fire him no sooner than this off season and only then if you're bringing in an established/big name coach.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#3 » by Downtown » Thu Mar 5, 2009 5:27 pm

I don't think anyone sees Hollins as a longterm solution. He was brought in as a cheap, but familiar face to hold down the fort for the remainder of the season. Although he hasn't been able to get the team playing much better than Iavoroni, he has seemed to me at least, bring in a more stable, consistant rotation and manages game situations okay. And you can't deny he has managed to get Mike Conley on the right track.

As for the likes of Miles, Buckner, and Jaric, consider this. The young players need to play, no question. But because they are still young and learning they are going to make lots of mistakes, and burn themselves out by seasons end. We've watched how inneffective the Grizzlies bench has been and all Hollins seems to be trying to do is bring in a little bit of balance between the starters and bench players. I've always been a believer in giving players structure and knowing exactly what their roles are. Everyone knows what's expected of them and everyone feels more part of the team as a whole. And there's also the fine line between giving the young players lots of minutes and letting them know they can't just go out there doing things their way without accountability. If the team was winning then sure, let them fire away. But it's the wrong message and poor lesson to them by not having them on a bit of a short leash.

I certainly don't see Hollins as holding back Conley, Mayo, and Gay, three of their young core. Gasol and Milicic have been splitting time but lately Gasol has been earning more. I would rather have a Marc Gasol giving 100% in 28 minutes than playing 36 minutes and being in foul trouble and thus having to hold back. Darell Arthur, in my opinion, is getting the playing time he deserves. He needs alot more developing and limiting his time is just fine. Warrick is argueable. He's up and down, yet is the best sparkplug off the bench. But his defense hurts them so there's a tradeoff.

I really don't see the need to replace Hollins at the moment and think he is handling the team as good as can be expected for a replacement coach. Now if a Flip Saunders is available in the offseason sure I would jump at getting him.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#4 » by jman3134 » Thu Mar 5, 2009 7:41 pm

Well, I certainly don't feel that we should fire him immediately. You have to at least give him an extended period of time before you can expect him to turn this mess of a situation around. It's not easy for anyone and even Hubie Brown couldn't win a playoff team with our personnel at the time. So, I am not expecting anything miraculous to come from Hollins.

If we continue at the current losing pace, I do think that we might need to replace him in the offseason.

I don't really mind his rotation that much, but I feel that W's are really the only thing that is going to determine his fate with the team.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#5 » by SD2042 » Fri Mar 6, 2009 11:49 pm

I say keep him around for a minute. Hollins can only work with what he has at his disposal. Keep in mind he isn't a long term solution at coach. This team has a long way to go on improving themselves if they wish to become a better NBA squad. There's still a lack of leadership, positive momentum, accountibility, consistancy, chemistry, and a sense of direction that the team has yet to encounter as an organization.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies