Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

U of M allegations 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Fri May 29, 2009 1:12 am

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi ... t_memphis/

Obviously college coaches have been doing these types of things under the table for years to get the players they want in their programs. Backlash will be expect for the Tigers program like the potential forfeit of the season Derrick Rose played in for the season in question. Looks like some ppl may have let this secret out on purpose b/c of what happen with the whole Calipari business to Kentucky. No tellin what will happen in the next few days on this issue.
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Re: U of M allegations 

Post#2 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Fri May 29, 2009 1:34 am

I'm hearing more that the NCAA was approached due to the guy that took the SAT for Rose not getting paid.

This would have come out in a little over a week anyway. I'm madder than hell that RC didn't manage this situation properly. He needs to be fired.

Worst case scenario, Memphis forfeits the season. Should not directly impact us in the future, in regards to sanctions.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#3 » by SD2042 » Fri May 29, 2009 2:05 am

What if there is more static concerning the U of M may come to the light? If so, then the program may have more than just sanctions to worry about. As for RC, since the Cal departure, some feel he has overstay his welcome and would welcome some fresh blood at his current position.
boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Post#4 » by boogiesdad » Fri May 29, 2009 2:36 am

RC letting Cal write these open ended Recruiting Letters of Intent should be fired. Now there are more allegations................. MEM deserves better.
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Fri May 29, 2009 2:48 am

SD2042 wrote:What if there is more static concerning the U of M may come to the light? If so, then the program may have more than just sanctions to worry about. As for RC, since the Cal departure, some feel he has overstay his welcome and would welcome some fresh blood at his current position.

I don't buy Parrish's allegations for a minute. He and Geoff were beside themselves today.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#6 » by SD2042 » Fri May 29, 2009 4:07 am

I work around the time Parrish and Calkins be on radio. What did they had to say about the allegations?
Cubboo
Rookie
And1: 22

Post#7 » by Cubboo » Fri May 29, 2009 5:08 am

This is long, so I apologize, I know this is a basketball forum...but I read the NCAA inquiry sent to the U of M and it seems fairly tame.
It alleges Rose had someone take the SAT for him.
How would the U of M be responsible for the dishonesty of a player before the admitted him unless they knew or were somehow were involved (which the report does not allege).
The school investigated- even had a handwriting expert look at the test and come back as clean.
Seems like they did their due diligence in checking it out.
By the way, anybody know if the test has an essay portion? Other wise it's just the printed name and basic info ....anybody confirm that?
The un-reimbursed charter plane trips and hotel stays at the team hotel were more of a question mark.
Plane Trips
night before Tulane (New Orleans)
night before SMU (Dallas)
Hotel Stays
12/14/07 MTSU (Nashville)
12/15/07 ???
12/18/07 @ Cincinatti
1/29/08 ??
1/30/08 Night before Houston
Total bill of non reimbursement $2,260
Seems as if the worst they could hit us with was faulty collections by the accounting dept. Most likely "lack of institutional control" category. The catch all of major violations.
It appears that he paid for the plane trips, but didn't pay for the hotel stays or vice-versa. It specifically indicates the difference between the two in the report. They've gone up the rear end of the U of M with a magnifying scope and this all they could find?? NCAA has to have a real desire to hump on non-BCS institutions. How do they get this much press when the whole Kansas/Darrell Arthur grade changing goes completely swept under the rug?
Since that time it appears that someone in Rose's high school changed his high school grades and two of his teammates during their championship run. The grades would not have made them ineligible for the high school games, so why were they changed? then they were immediately changed back? To make them eligible for admission to college? Dean of students says Rose maintained a 2.0 or better. So why were his changed? Find out who changed those grades and you will get close to the real story on the entire Rose fiasco.
The basketball seems to get the big time press, because it is so high profile and involves so many different storylines: NCAA championship game, Rose, Cal, Kentucky, etc
The women's golf on the other hand- sounds about as dirty as you can get. The coach there was completely oblivious to any NCAA rules or completely stupid. If I was RC, my testicles would be tight over this one.

It_Was_Typed
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Post#8 » by It_Was_Typed » Fri May 29, 2009 6:18 am

Not surprised at all...I'm sure more dirt could come out if the NCAA put more effort into it.
#JuiceIsFree
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Fri May 29, 2009 12:15 pm

SD2042 wrote:I work around the time Parrish and Calkins be on radio. What did they had to say about the allegations?

Only caught part of it (got called into a meeting - gah) but Parrish was suggesting that someone took Robert Dozier's and possibly one other unnamed players SAT. Apparently just rumor at this point.
Cubboo
Rookie
And1: 22

Post#10 » by Cubboo » Fri May 29, 2009 2:26 pm

It_Was_Typed wrote:Not surprised at all...I'm sure more dirt could come out if the NCAA put more effort into it.

They've been on campus interviewing and investigating for a year and a half. I'm not sure ow much more effort they could put into it.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#11 » by SD2042 » Sun May 31, 2009 1:59 am

Return to Memphis Grizzlies