If Bynum were a FA?

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

Warhammer3025
Sophomore
And1: 0

If Bynum were a FA? 

Post#1 » by Warhammer3025 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:58 pm

Hello, Laker fan here.

When Memphis clearied out Gasol and others in the past 2 years that means you guys would have a huge amount of cap space, enough for a max FA. So as the topic asks, if Andrew Bynum were a FA would you guys be heavily pursueing him? And if so, how much do you think you guys would offer? And if you guys do get him how would you spend the rest of your cap to fill out your team? I know you guys got Marc Gasol from us and so far he has looked very impressive, but i wonder if you guys sign Bynum as a FA, you might package Gasol and Gay for a really good PF or something along those lines. If so, what kind of moves do you think your franchise might might?

Being a young true C, i'm rather curious at thet ype of interest he may garner from one of hte main FA competitors out there.
It_Was_Typed
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Re: If Bynum were a FA? 

Post#2 » by It_Was_Typed » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:07 pm

I'm a Laker fan that happens to follow the Grizzlies a lot.

From the Grizzlies POV, there would be no point in persuing Andrew with Marc already anchoring the center position. Hell, I find Marc to be the better talent right now (though Andrew does have the potential to be better than Marc).

Andrew's market in free agency also depends on his knees. If he didn't have the freak accidents on his knees?, he'd probably sucker a team into a five year-$70M contract due to what he showed before the injuries. But since he did have two freak accidents on both his knees, maybe a tad bit less at around five years-$50M.
#JuiceIsFree
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Post#3 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:42 am

I agree with It was typed. Marc has healthier knees and a much bigger heart IMO. What Bynum has over Marc in talent, Marc trumps with BBIQ and tenacity. Hopefully for Bynum the knees heal up and he does some more growing up.
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#4 » by dark-child » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:12 am

I think it is pretty telling that so many Laker fans wonder aloud about other teams being interested in Bynum. It sounds a lot like buyers remorse. I mean the lakers have 3 potential quality free agents this off season in Bryant, Ariza, and Odom yet they are not mentioned. You mention Mr. Glass whom you just locked up long term. You then call on the one team whom the basketball world seems to think you universally got the better of in a trade that has you in the NBA championship finals the past two seasons. Coincidence? I think not. How can we sign someone already under contract? You only request two of our best players for a guy who at best looks like a very bad investment.
We empathize with your regret on signing him to such an outrageous sum that he might not live up to but the Grizz are not the Lakers personal Mr. Fix it, or the likely destination for your unwanted contracts. I know you did not mean anything personal by your inquiry but it is a little too soon to call upon us for anything right now. Try back in the summer of 2010 provided you guys have not won another championship. We are just a little stressed about our plans in the draft to deal with this.
Warhammer3025
Sophomore

Post#5 » by Warhammer3025 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:06 am

Personally i thought the Grizzlies did a good job in the Pau trade. I always knew that Marc had some serious potential when i was keeping track of his euro league numbers and was impressed with his size, aggression, and moxie in the Olympics. You guys wanted capspace and young prospects at positions of need and you got them, one panned out (Marc) and the other didnt (Crittenden). Then seeing Marc show the league what he can do was definitely vindication that you guys sure as hell got a great package for your "star", who quite simply is best as a 2nd banana. Now you've set your team up nicely that with a smart FA signing you guys can get right back in teh saddle.

Meh, as the topic asked. IF Bynum were a FA would you guys pursue him? I'm not asking what you guys would trade for him since it doesnt make any sense at this point to give up assets + capspace, but if you could acquire Bynum for simply cash/capspace (remember the hypothetical) and then being able to use your trade assets (Gasol, Gay, Conley, capspace, etc) on other positions of need (PF i'm guessing especially). I'm not one of those (Please Use More Appropriate Word) fans offering up a ludicrous Bynum + garbage for #2 pick + Marc deal as we've seen been circulating the net, so please dont lump me in with those fools. I'm just here asking an honest question whether you guys would pursue Bynum to be your big man centerpiece to either go twin tower with Marc (doubtful, dont think either of em have the athleticism to be a PF fulltime) or maybe package Gasol with someone like Conley/Gay/etc to get a real PF (Al Jeff might be an intriguing player) to get yourself an imposing frontline.

Do the Lakers have buyers remorse? I'm sure quite a few do. Personally i think the extension was shrewd, cuz in this offseason i'm guessing the teams with 09 capspace WOULD be interested in Bynum coming off of injury or not to throw a sizable 5 year deal at him forcing us to match or lose for nothing (and we will). Course with just a 3 year extension + 4th year team option, at least if Bynum does go all el busto (i dont think he will, but there's always a chance) at least we only get nailed for 3 years hit instead of 5 had we been forced to match.

I'm just a fan of the game and am curious what other fanbases think. If you think this conjecture is a pure waste of time, then sorry about that. Otherwise for folks who like to wonder what if, let's have some fun! If you could get Bynum at his pre injury performance isnt that worth the roll of the dice? I know i would and then get myself a PF worth a damn to make a scary and complete team.
daddyfivestar
Banned User

Post#6 » by daddyfivestar » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:52 pm

^ Critt didn't pan out but the Grizzlies smartly moved him along for a Wiz 1st while he had value.

Wallace said the day after the Pau trade when asked about the three PG's (Conley, Critt, Lowry) that he'd put them all together and one would come out on top, another could be a backup and the third WILL be traded and they wouldn't keep all three.

He was basically right except that he moved both Lowry and Critt for 1st round picks. Not bad.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies