ImageImage

Poll: What does Memphis ACTUALLY do with the #2?

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

What does Memphis ACTUALLY do with the #2 pick?

Thabeet
35%
Harden
2%
Evans
2%
Rubio
23%
Other(specify in thread)
No votes
Trade the pick away(to who and for what?)
38%

Total votes: 48

grizzleGM
Analyst
And1: 0

Re: Poll: What does Memphis ACTUALLY do with the #2? 

Post#21 » by grizzleGM » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:31 am

I'm just going to throw this out, that I think that either Gay or Conley will be traded Thursday night.
GrizzMan
Freshman

Post#22 » by GrizzMan » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:12 am

Teams draft players for one of two reasons: (1) best player available; OR (2) team needs. Thabeet will not be the best player available when the Grizzlies select at 2; that distinction goes to Ricky Rubio. Further, Thabeet does NOT fill a team need. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind Thabeet; but, we already have our "center of the future" in Marc Gasol. So, why in the he!! would the Grizzlies consider Thabeet?!?! It makes absolutely no sense. The Grizzlies need a power forward and depth at guard (point or shooting).

I am the only Grizzlies' fan in the state of Colorado (I'm from Memphis), and I follow them religiously! If they do not draft Ricky Rubio OR trade down or out of the draft to fill needs, I am going to be irate! :oops: So, draft Rubio and figure out a way to move Conley and assets to get a power forward. OR, use the number 2 pick to move down and pick up a power forward and a lottery pick. My preference would be to trade the 2nd pick AND Conley for the 5th pick and Kevin Love. We get a young power forward who would be apart of an impressive young core (Mayo, Gay, and Love) to build around. We can get a solid player (Evans, Curry, or Harden) w/the 5th pick. We can move OJ to point…and the Grizzlies would be relevant for the next decade! Oh yeah, we are one of three or four teams w/considerable cap space THIS year. :D
bassmastert
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#23 » by bassmastert » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:30 am

GrizzMan wrote:Teams draft players for one of two reasons: (1) best player available; OR (2) team needs. Thabeet will not be the best player available when the Grizzlies select at 2; that distinction goes to Ricky Rubio. Further, Thabeet does NOT fill a team need. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind Thabeet; but, we already have our "center of the future" in Marc Gasol. So, why in the he!! would the Grizzlies consider Thabeet?!?! It makes absolutely no sense. The Grizzlies need a power forward and depth at guard (point or shooting).

I am the only Grizzlies' fan in the state of Colorado (I'm from Memphis), and I follow them religiously! If they do not draft Ricky Rubio OR trade down or out of the draft to fill needs, I am going to be irate! :oops: So, draft Rubio and figure out a way to move Conley and assets to get a power forward. OR, use the number 2 pick to move down and pick up a power forward and a lottery pick. My preference would be to trade the 2nd pick AND Conley for the 5th pick and Kevin Love. We get a young power forward who would be apart of an impressive young core (Mayo, Gay, and Love) to build around. We can get a solid player (Evans, Curry, or Harden) w/the 5th pick. We can move OJ to point…and the Grizzlies would be relevant for the next decade! Oh yeah, we are one of three or four teams w/considerable cap space THIS year. :D

So, I see Memphis wants Mayo, Gay and Love together. Does Gay Love Produce Mayo before the 24 second shot clock?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. The Memphis ordeal seems to be a pain, with rookies and their agents not wanting to sign with Memphis and I feel it's highly unproffesional for the agents/players to be able to do this.

How would Memphis feel in a trade surrounding Gay + #2 plus pieces for Bosh + #9 and drafting DeRozan with the 9 pick? I think it would work well for both teams.
vinsanity11 wrote:
He was having flashbacks of game 6 last year, he didn't want to be the one who chocked again..
Raptors90102 wrote:
Spell check is your friend..
vinsanity11 wrote:
I spelled it right dumbass...

LOL RealGM at it's finest...
It_Was_Typed
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Post#24 » by It_Was_Typed » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:43 pm

No Memphis fan wants Bosh because he'll leave next summer. Don't even mention an extension because he isn't signing one.
#JuiceIsFree
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#25 » by funkatron101 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:23 pm

5 + 18 + rights to Pekovic (or Utah 1st rounder) for #2.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,936

Post#26 » by Effigy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:38 pm

5 and 6 seem like overpaying for the 2. What about 5, 6 and 18 for 2 and Conley?
It_Was_Typed
Sixth Man

Post#27 » by It_Was_Typed » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:17 am

Bonzi wrote:5 and 6 seem like overpaying for the 2. What about 5, 6 and 18 for 2 and Conley?

With all the picks involved between Minnesota and Memphis, I think a third team might be needed to "balance" out the deal. If it's just between these two teams, there's too many picks involved IMO. Especially when you consider they also have late first rounders as of now (rumors of being bought off).
#JuiceIsFree
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#28 » by Downtown » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:01 am

The last few weeks I've been as active as anyone in discussing potential Grizzlies moves. But I've shut up the last few days since I don't have a clue what they will do, nor am I positive that they'll do the right thing, whatever it is.

I guess I could take that as a positive that the team has done a good job of keeping their cards close to the vest so other teams don't gain an advantage in trade talks.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#29 » by jman3134 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:11 am

Rubio doesn't want to play because he doesn't believe that the owner is committed to winning. Understandable, but could be eased if he makes some trades.

If we select Thabeet, I will not watch Grizz basketball until he is off the team. That's how fed up I am with this organization.
commadoor 64
Starter
And1: 26

Post#30 » by commadoor 64 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:47 am

jman3134 wrote:Rubio doesn't want to play because he doesn't believe that the owner is committed to winning. Understandable, but could be eased if he makes some trades.

If we select Thabeet, I will not watch Grizz basketball until he is off the team. That's how fed up I am with this organization.

It seems Rubio himself actually has no problems with Memphis, only Fagen & Chad Ford.

Direct quote from Rubio...
When asked what would happen if he were drafted by Memphis, Rubio quickly responded: “Then I will play with my friend Marc Gasol. If Memphis takes me, Memphis takes me. But we will see what happens tomorrow.”
bigballa3jj
Bench Warmer
And1: 183

Post#31 » by bigballa3jj » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:53 am

It seems everything is pointing towards you guys selecting Thabeet with the #2.....i feel sorry for you all if that happens
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Post#32 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:16 pm

bigballa3jj wrote:It seems everything is pointing towards you guys selecting Thabeet with the #2.....i feel sorry for you all if that happens

We're seeing what you're seeing and your condolences are appreciated. This will indeed be a sad day in Grizz history if things play out the way they are looking.
mayorhoiberg
Sophomore

Post#33 » by mayorhoiberg » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:03 pm

I'm a bit confused. From a Grizzlies fan point of view, isn't taking the T'Wolves offer of #5, #18, and Craig Smith preferable to drafting Thabeet straight up? Why would Wallace deny that offer?

I hope I'm not just seeing things from a T'Wolves rube POV, but it seems like the biggest need for the Grizzlies is PF. This offer gets you either Jordan Hill or your pick from several talented guards, a quality backup PF in the Rhino, and a mid-first round pick. It's overpaying from a MN perspective, but it's Wallace who has reportedly denied the offer.

What gives?
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Post#34 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:26 pm

mayorhoiberg wrote:I'm a bit confused. From a Grizzlies fan point of view, isn't taking the T'Wolves offer of #5, #18, and Craig Smith preferable to drafting Thabeet straight up? Why would Wallace deny that offer?

Likely, but a deal like that won't be made until the last possible moment. Right now is the smoke, mirrors and posturing phase. To the point that Bruno should be covering it.

I hope I'm not just seeing things from a T'Wolves rube POV, but it seems like the biggest need for the Grizzlies is PF. This offer gets you either Jordan Hill or your pick from several talented guards, a quality backup PF in the Rhino, and a mid-first round pick. It's overpaying from a MN perspective, but it's Wallace who has reportedly denied the offer.

What gives?

Again, you're correct. However, I don't think the Grizz are sold on Hill as the answer at PF. That will likely come from a FA signing or trade.
It_Was_Typed
Sixth Man

Post#35 » by It_Was_Typed » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:52 pm

mayorhoiberg wrote:I'm a bit confused. From a Grizzlies fan point of view, isn't taking the T'Wolves offer of #5, #18, and Craig Smith preferable to drafting Thabeet straight up? Why would Wallace deny that offer?

What gives?

I'd rather do this deal than take Thabeet at 2.

At 5, we can select James Harden or Tyreke Evans. Smith is a reliable back up PF and brings some much needed toughness. At 18, take the best player available or trade the pick (27 too) for some veteran depth/help.
#JuiceIsFree
DubaLakers
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#36 » by DubaLakers » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:02 am

Why are people so lost on this pick. MEM did the right thing to me Thabeet was a clear #2 to me. I'd rather see him go to OKC cuz they need a big bad and you guys have Gasol, but a perfect pick, you guys should be happy. He's big, he's athletic, he is a D first guy, and he hits his throws don't over guess it guys. MEM made the perfect pick.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#37 » by jman3134 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:25 pm

DubaLakers wrote:Why are people so lost on this pick. MEM did the right thing to me Thabeet was a clear #2 to me. I'd rather see him go to OKC cuz they need a big bad and you guys have Gasol, but a perfect pick, you guys should be happy. He's big, he's athletic, he is a D first guy, and he hits his throws don't over guess it guys. MEM made the perfect pick.

Have you watched Thabeet at all in college? Great physical specimen, bad basketball player.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies