Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Darko traded for Q-Rich 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:48 pm

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi ... d_of_week/

The link says it all. Although this move would help fill the backup SG position to spell OJ, a the same time this move will leave a hole at the backup center position unless the Grizz hit up FA to find a reasonable center for Marc Gasol.
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Re: Darko to Knicks? 

Post#2 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:16 pm

Fine by me. Heck I'd love to see some minutes with Mayo, Rich and Rudy on the floor together.
BRIGGS
Analyst
And1: 128

Post#3 » by BRIGGS » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:19 pm

Why would you need to get a back up C when you are drafting Thabeet--cant put 1+1 together here?
Vanilla Ice is the best rap artist of all time
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Post#4 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:21 pm

BRIGGS wrote:Why would you need to get a back up C when you are drafting Thabeet--cant put 1+1 together here?

1+1 is that the first option is to trade the pick. That drops the guarantee of landing Thabeet.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#5 » by SD2042 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:21 pm

Can you predict the future? Who says the Grizz are really drafting Thabeet? Hell, it's been a yo-yo effect between him and Rubio that it makes no sense. Besides the Grizz are better off drafting the pick and trade him of for the best offer.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#6 » by Downtown » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:58 am

In this years draft I honestly don't think Thabeet is a bad pick at #2. But I don't understnd why Memphis keeps him when they have Gasol unless they know something the rest of us don't with his ability to play power forward. But you have to admit that the Knicks rumor is a little weird with the Grizzlies supposedly taking back over a million more for Richardson, who hasn't played very well at all the last two seasons unless they wanted to clear out the center position.

I really don't know what will happen tomorrow other than I have an important engagement that means I'll miss the entire draft.
Abe
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#7 » by Abe » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:42 am

It's probably what you just said Downtown. They want to clear out the center position. Darko, even though he's a scrub, would not be happy rotting on the bench behind Marc Gasol and Hasheem Thabeet. There would be virtually no minutes for him. I can see this trade going down and you guys instantly buying out Q-Rich. Or maybe you make him part of your team. But beware: Quentin Richardson is one of the worst players in the NBA. Take it from me, I've seen him live 82 games a year for all these years.
PlinkingPanda
Analyst
And1: 2

Post#8 » by PlinkingPanda » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:29 am

Are you guys gonna be resigning Darius Miles? D-Miles + Q = awesome! 8-)
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#9 » by SD2042 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:10 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... ichardson/

Official Darko to Knicks for Q-Rich. It was foretold a couple of days ago and it has happen. With Q-Rich, he'll give the Grizz some offensive punch off the bench to spell Mayo. He's also a vet who been around for a minute so he'll be able to give Mayo some pointers to the game itself.
Luffy
Junior

Re: Darko traded for Q-Rich 

Post#10 » by Luffy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:39 am

Lol it's like a Clippers reunion here in Memphis. Darius Miles. Quentin Richardson. I wonder who's next.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#11 » by old rem » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:14 am

SD2042 wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60091/20090625/darko_sent_to_new_york_for_richardson/

Official Darko to Knicks for Q-Rich. It was foretold a couple of days ago and it has happen. With Q-Rich, he'll give the Grizz some offensive punch off the bench to spell Mayo. He's also a vet who been around for a minute so he'll be able to give Mayo some pointers to the game itself.

no...sorry,but Q Rich has spiralled down the drain and is actually a downgrade from Darko,who as an expiring - if rather mediocre big,might have a bit of trade weight. Q Rich..has a bit less and costs the Griz a bit more. Really makes no sense.
CENSORED... No comment.
Abe
Banned User

Post#12 » by Abe » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:20 am

Q Rich provides no scoring at all. He can't hit the side of a barn and is fat and slow which makes him terrible on D as well. He's really a useless player. Hopefully you guys waive him. But if not, good luck.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#13 » by jman3134 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:24 pm

old rem wrote:
SD2042 wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60091/20090625/darko_sent_to_new_york_for_richardson/

no...sorry,but Q Rich has spiralled down the drain and is actually a downgrade from Darko,who as an expiring - if rather mediocre big,might have a bit of trade weight. Q Rich..has a bit less and costs the Griz a bit more. Really makes no sense.

Kudos for pointing this out. Dumb freaking trade, especially for the king of cheap.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,249

Post#14 » by Luv those Knicks » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:50 pm

As a Knicks fan, I thought I'd give you my review on Q.

He's nothing special, but it's not fair to call him the worst player in basketball. He is very inconsistant, and really quite bad as a starter. He was, perhaps, the worst player in the NBA to start as many games as he did last year.

as a 35% shooter from 3 pt range, he will frustrate you. He's not the first guy you want sitting behind the 3 pt line chucking bricks. 35% isn't awful, but it's not good either.

Q used to have a pretty good post up game for a 6'6 guy, but he's had back problems over the last few seasons and that part of his game is gone. He's still a pretty good defender, and a smart guy on the court and good team player.

On days when he's on, you'll love him, but if he gives you what he gave the knicks, you'll dislike him more than you like him.

It's also possible that he was unhappy in NY, so he might play better in Memphis than NYC. I know that he didn't like playing with Marbury. I don't know how he felt last year, but it couldn't have been fun for him with all the fans preferring Chandler.

I think he's the kind of player a coach likes, because he does what's asked of him. I think that's why he played as much as he did, when the fans were screaming for his benching.

I'm not saying he's worth Darko, but maybe your coach sees something he likes in him. If Q can return a bit to his form in phoenix of LAC, he'd be a nice pickup for you guys, but I'm not sure that's likely. He does have back problems.

There's also a rumor that Q is gay, which would be kinda ironic, cause you'd have 2 gays on your team. :-)

OK, ignore that.

Finally,
I wonder if this was the best deal you could have gotten for Darko, or if you could have gotten a 2nd rounder out of the Knicks in this swap. Either your GM likes Walsh, which happens sometimes that GMs are a little buddy buddy, or maybe your GM sees some value in Q.

You might not hate him as a player.
Go NY Go NY Go
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#15 » by jman3134 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:56 pm

Of course- I'm sure Heisley and co. see value in any washed up bench player.
method
RealGM
And1: 299

Post#16 » by method » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:45 am

What should we expect from Darko?

Hows his shotblockings,defense and jumper?
pumuki
Sophomore
And1: 18

Post#17 » by pumuki » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:02 am

method wrote:What should we expect from Darko?

Hows his shotblockings,defense and jumper?

Good shotbloker, average defender.

The main problem with his offense (post moves, hooks and jumper) and Darko´s game in general, is that he doesn´t have the mental strengh to regain confidence when he misses a pair of jumpers or when he gets an early foul. He starts to tumble from here to there doubting what to do as a dumb robot.

BTW if you had someone to kick his butt and mantain him focused (Marc gasol did it some times last season and it worked) he could be a good role player.
commadoor 64
Starter
And1: 26

Post#18 » by commadoor 64 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:44 pm

Darko is one of the most frustrating players in the league. There are moments (moments mind you) you can see all the potential in the world. Then.....POOF.......Darko is playing aginst himself, which is his main problem.
I think that problem is gonna magnify in NY. He has the potential to be much better under D'Antoni's system which is good but, the fans will eat him alive there which will be very, very bad for his psyche, unfortunately it's his psyche that has the bad left hook.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies