Good and Bad News on the FA Front

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

jefe
General Manager
And1: 636

Good and Bad News on the FA Front 

Post#1 » by jefe » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:09 pm

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/jun/30/power-play/

The Good: Heisley is determined to spend some cash to get a top notch PF.

Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley is determined to bring to Memphis a high-caliber power forward, making that his priority this offseason, less than two years after gift-wrapping Pau Gasol to the Los Angeles Lakers.

The Bad: The Grizz are still going after Randolph

While insiders contend the organization remains undeterred in its efforts to consummate a trade for Los Angeles Clippers forward Zach Randolph

The WTF: The Grizz want a back a PG, but one that won't challenge Conley for the starting job. Why on earth do they set their goal at anything but the highest level is beyond me.

One reason the Griz passed on a guard in the draft is the organization decided it didn't want a starting-job battle at that position. Simply put: the Griz would rather have an experienced player capable of pushing incumbent starter Mike Conley but not competing for his job, as was the case with Kyle Lowry.
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Re: Good and Bad News on the FA Front 

Post#2 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:58 pm

Mike Conley can't compete. Marc Gasol can. Sounds silly doesn't it...
It_Was_Typed
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Post#3 » by It_Was_Typed » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:05 pm

Good minded, tough veterans please.
#JuiceIsFree
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#4 » by Downtown » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:07 pm

I don't know his contract status but Mardy Collins has been a career backup combo guard. I don't care for it but if the Randolph trade did happen I could see the Clippers being willing to throw Collins in.

Earl Watson isn't in OKC's plans. If it meant lowering their paroll maybe they would take back Buckner for Watson.

Before he has hip surgery I felt Keyon Dooling was a good fit for the Grizzlies. But I don't know how long he will be out. The Nets seem to be willing to wheel and deal so would a good young power forward like Josh Boone, along with Dooling be a decent pair for Memphis?

Didn't the Hornets draft a pointguard? I wonder if Jannero Pargo could be enticed to Memphis. I think he played at both guard positions in New Orleans.

There are a number of options for the backup pointguard spot.
iloveleglocks
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#5 » by iloveleglocks » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:19 pm

Lionel Hollins has an unhealthy unfatuation with Mike Conley. I'm not being "that" guy but it is true. Hollins is a little too emotionally invested in a job and a person he may only have and be around for a small period of time. I am not a big Conley hater or supporter but I realize that he may NOT be the answer for the future of the franchise at the PG position.

Oh well at least they are going to work to get a PF in. If they had of just said "We are good we are staying the course" then that would have been panic time
Celts09
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#6 » by Celts09 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 6:10 am

what do you guys think about Big Baby (check wiretap)
would you guys spend the MLE on him/ will your owners over pay him?
I Am Awesome-O
Rookie
And1: 544

Post#7 » by I Am Awesome-O » Wed Jul 1, 2009 6:25 am

Celts09 wrote:what do you guys think about Big Baby (check wiretap)
would you guys spend the MLE on him/ will your owners over pay him?

I would rather have Lee, Milsap, etc. but he's not a bad short term fix at all.
el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#8 » by el loco » Wed Jul 1, 2009 8:42 pm

Downtown wrote:I don't know his contract status but Mardy Collins has been a career backup combo guard. I don't care for it but if the Randolph trade did happen I could see the Clippers being willing to throw Collins in.

Earl Watson isn't in OKC's plans. If it meant lowering their paroll maybe they would take back Buckner for Watson.

Before he has hip surgery I felt Keyon Dooling was a good fit for the Grizzlies. But I don't know how long he will be out. The Nets seem to be willing to wheel and deal so would a good young power forward like Josh Boone, along with Dooling be a decent pair for Memphis?

Didn't the Hornets draft a pointguard? I wonder if Jannero Pargo could be enticed to Memphis. I think he played at both guard positions in New Orleans.

There are a number of options for the backup pointguard spot.

Please sign Anthony Carter :lol:

Return to Memphis Grizzlies