ImageImage

Official: Memphis trades for Randolph

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

dunkonu21
Lead Assistant
And1: 40

Re: Memphis trades for Randolph 

Post#81 » by dunkonu21 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 8:13 pm

Just because players get along with a player doesn't mean he's less of a cancer.

I know a kid who is the most personable guy, he just is failing out of school, spends all his time at the bar, drinks everyday and has herpes. Randolph is a bad example, especially to young players. Often what happens is half the locker room with love him and the other half will hate him which creates drama between the halves.
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#82 » by StutterStep » Sat Jul 4, 2009 12:11 am

Downtown wrote:Definitely Lee would have been the better fit. And Glen Davis was the guy I wanted to see Memphis sign. But Randolph's stats were still better. All I can figure is that since they moved Richardson's contract it costs them a little less than if they had to give Lee $12m per season outright with raises over five years. This way it will be around $5mil less than if they did it the other way.

Wow...a better fit? Unless you have Gasol extending to Zach's range on his jumper, I don't know how you can make that statement, especially at 12million per season. Calgon take me away....

Big Baby would have been an intriguing signing and they really can still target him at partial MLE or full MLE less years (3 maybe), esp. if the Celtics sign Rasheed and want to keep Powe around as a good faith measure. Getting Randolph doesn't stop the signing of Big Baby since the latter is really a backup.
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#83 » by StutterStep » Sat Jul 4, 2009 12:17 am

younggunsmn wrote:milsap and lee are much better fits because of the way they play,
they get their points by grabbing offensive rebs, something important with 3 perimeter oriented players.
zach has never been a decent passer out of the post, he is a black hole,
plus he is soft like charmin on defense.

zach puts up nice stats wherever he goes, but his value as a scorer is undone by his poor defense and unwillingness to pass the ball.

That makes no sense. The point is that they have no POST PRESENCE so that's why the Griz have coveted Zach for so long. No player with post presence on the market so they had to get one.
akula1488
Bench Warmer
And1: 448

Post#84 » by akula1488 » Sun Jul 5, 2009 12:27 am

Lee is overrated. Randolf is a team killer.

You guys should go for Larmar Odom. Best PF on the market.
Bench Warmer
And1: 79

Post#85 » by 360 » Sun Jul 5, 2009 3:47 am

akula1488 wrote:Lee is overrated. Randolf is a team killer.

You guys should go for Larmar Odom. Best PF on the market.

I agree.
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,122

Post#86 » by GopherIt! » Sun Jul 5, 2009 7:00 pm

Some people have noted that perhaps Heisley was less than enthusiastic about adding salary past 2010-11. That's too bad if that is true.

A Darko for Lee S/T would have been perfect. Lee is quickly finding out that his goal of 5/50M is a tad optimistic. Lets say they get Lee for 45M. Subtract Darko's 7.5M that's 37.5M in new salary for Lee. Trading Darko for Q and then Q for Z-Bo netted them 25.5 in new salary (33-7.5M) If I'm Heisley/Wallace, I'd rather take on Lee for and extra 12M than add Zach. That's assuming Lee gets 45M. He may only get 7.5-8M a season.

It might cost a little more but I'd also take Millsap over either of those guys. Again, I realize that the issue was probably adding salary past 2010.
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#87 » by Downtown » Sun Jul 5, 2009 7:39 pm

Just from reading the various stories this weekend I have a feeling that the Grizzlies might be second guessing themselves for jumping so fast at Randolph. It looks like the free agent power forwards are having a tough time getting the money they want.

With Detroit and Memphis out of the market quickly, and OKC rumored to be hanging tough onto their money, and with the Lakers playing hardball with Odom, plus with teams looking at Rasheed Wallace, the likes of Odom, Lee, MIlsap, Big Baby, and Varejao all are competing for a small pool of money.

I'll repeat what I said before, I think Memphis rushed things in trading for Randolph. They could have played a waiting game and maybe come out of it in a little better shape.
It_Was_Typed
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Post#88 » by It_Was_Typed » Sun Jul 5, 2009 9:40 pm

SMH.

I present to you the Memphis Grizzlies.
#JuiceIsFree
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#89 » by SD2042 » Mon Jul 6, 2009 5:12 am

Speakin of Sheed. He was offer a three yr deal by the Celts. As for the rest of the free agent PFs. The economy will effect how their financial status for their contracts. Like David Lee requesting a 5yr 50 miliion dollar deal. I don't expect him to get that deal. If anything, he'll get between 30 to 35 mil.
Kurosawa
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#90 » by Kurosawa » Mon Jul 6, 2009 12:37 pm

Timberwolves fan here, coming in peace.

A few points:

1. Those of you who think Chris Wallace is the worst GM in the NBA...well, that may be true now, but his composite track record of stupidity, impulsiveness, laziness, and lack of preparation simply can't compare with Kevin McHale's. There's no debate: McHale was the worst ever.

2. Interesting how the Grizz and the Wolves seem to mirror each other in so many respects. I'd have to rank Heisley and Taylor at or near the bottom among NBA owners. At least the light seems to finally have come on for Taylor.

3. My personal opinion is that the Gasol trade, and the ridicule that was heaped on it league-wide for it, devastated Memphis' ability to make good personnel decisions. Witness the trade discussions the Grizz had with the Wolves for the second pick. At one point, it was reported that Memphis asked for Kevin Love, the fifth pick, AND the sixth pick for the second. It's as if nonsense like that was Memphis' way of telling the NBA, "We'll show YOU we're not suckers!" No, not suckers, Grizz...clowns.
LakersSquad
Analyst
And1: 132

Post#91 » by LakersSquad » Mon Jul 6, 2009 1:35 pm

with the right coach the Grizz makes the playoffs in place of Houston
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Post#92 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Mon Jul 6, 2009 2:49 pm

LakersSquad wrote:with the right coach the Grizz makes the playoffs in place of Houston

Which means that as long as Hollins mans the bench, the Rockets are fine.
dmutombo321
Sixth Man
And1: 365

Post#93 » by dmutombo321 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:30 pm

Did both teams ever officially finalize this deal?

If not, any chance Memphis backs out considering whats going on with Boozer and the dearth of offers for Odom?
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant

Post#94 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:50 pm

dmutombo321 wrote:Did both teams ever officially finalize this deal?

If not, any chance Memphis backs out considering whats going on with Boozer and the dearth of offers for Odom?

The deal will be finalized Friday. The Grizz need to wait for Stackhouse to formally clear waivers (7 days in off season as opposed to 2 days in season) so that they can do the salary cap dance with Z'Bo's deal. Virtually no chance of the Grizz backing out and signing Odom or Lee - or trading for Boozer, instead. Which is a shame. Of epic proportions.

Welcome to Memphis Z'Bo. BBQ joints all over town are already rejoicing...
daddyfivestar
Banned User

Post#95 » by daddyfivestar » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:56 am

Why can't they backout? Players backout of verbals.
They should say "we're pulling a Boozer, changing our minds"
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant

Post#96 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:06 am

daddyfivestar wrote:Why can't they backout? Players backout of verbals.
They should say "we're pulling a Boozer, changing our minds"

Because Z'Bo's apparently who the front office wants. *shrug* For all we know they did look into the Boozer situation and found out they didn't have what Utah wanted right off the bat. Although I can't see how Stackhouse's contract for Boozer wouldn't have been darned tempting.
daddyfivestar
Banned User

Post#97 » by daddyfivestar » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:47 am

Man. That's like getting your hands on a kinda cute girl who was easy so you take the plunge and marry her, but realize she's a 6 and kinda bitchy and lazy and spends all your money and has bigger thighs than you like, while a bunch of 8s and 9s are showing you some amorous attention wanting to get with you but can't because your tied down.
To put it in perspective.
I Am Awesome-O
Rookie
And1: 544

Post#98 » by I Am Awesome-O » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:40 am

daddyfivestar wrote:Man. That's like getting your hands on a kinda cute girl who was easy so you take the plunge and marry her, but realize she's a 6 and kinda bitchy and lazy and spends all your money and has bigger thighs than you like, while a bunch of 8s and 9s are showing you some amorous attention wanting to get with you but can't because your tied down.
To put it in perspective.

Yep, sounds about right. I knew doing this deal so early would come back and bite us in the ass.
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#99 » by NetsForce » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:17 pm

Could the Grizz technically fail Randolph's physical and nix the trade on a technicality?
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#100 » by Downtown » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:32 pm

I'm sure they could. OKC changed their mind on Tyson Chandler because there was something they didn't like in the physical.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies