ImageImage

Official: Memphis trades for Randolph

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Re: Memphis trades for Randolph 

Post#21 » by Downtown » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:08 am

I also wonder if the Josh Smith situation last summer shook their confidence in that they may lose out with restricted free agents and end up with nothing. I really don't think either Lee or Milsap will get the amount some believe, especially in this down market. Both the Knicks and Jazz might have matched.

I do wonder if the Grizzlies were aware that Detroit had signed Villeneuva and were out of the competition? That would have left just OKC as competition. Now Sam Presti has his two biggest competitors out of the way and can pretty much have his pick of the litter other than having to navigate the matching. But now the rush to get it done fast is over.

I think Memphis may have rushed into this trade. What would have changed if they told the Clippers that they were exploring free agents and they'll get back to them? It's not like the whole league was beating down their door to get Zach Randolph. That is a curious thing isn't it. Why the rush? Didn't they trust themselves?

Boy, the more I think about it the more I see flaws and holes in the deal. And I'm not talking at all about the player himself. Just the manner in which they concluded the deal. They really had the timeframe all wrong and gave themselves no chance at other options. I'm beginning to convince myself as I type that they made a rash decision. Man.
Jack wore plaid
Sixth Man
And1: 56

Post#22 » by Jack wore plaid » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:10 am

You should also point out to your management group that Zach can not go back onto the Blazers salary cap after 10 games.
93 Phillies
General Manager
And1: 3

Post#23 » by 93 Phillies » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:10 am

All of those young guys with a poor character guy like Randolph is a mistake, while I understand the reasoning financially. He also kills ball movement which will frusterate OJ and Gay for sure.
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Post#24 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:11 am

Props to Sixth Man for THE post of the decade on this move...

Young and Hungry
Promotion Came A Year Too Early

Image Image

:D
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Post#25 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:13 am

Jack wore plaid wrote:You should also point out to your management group that Zach can not go back onto the Blazers salary cap after 10 games.

Well played Jack ;)
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#26 » by BrooklynBulls » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:16 am

Are you guys sure Jaric isn't included? Because it's horrific if Jaric isn't included.
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,387

Post#27 » by Hangtime84 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:16 am

so what did the owner do just finally decided to wake up spend money again once he realized he losing more by cost cutting
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
Bench Warmer
And1: 79

Post#28 » by 360 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:16 am

93 Phillies wrote:All of those young guys with a poor character guy like Randolph is a mistake, while I understand the reasoning financially. He also kills ball movement which will frusterate OJ and Gay for sure.

This is my biggest concern. I hated Rudy last year for being so selfish. Now with Randolph, I could see him and Gay hogging the ball alot. Hollins has to break that habit. So far, I think that OJ has been very unselfish. He has a rep for being a ballhog, but I did not see that from him last year.
boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Post#29 » by boogiesdad » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:41 am

This could be a great trade if Zach can be a garbage guy. He needs to focus on rebounding for a bulk of his points.

The offense has to flow through OJ and Conley.

Honestly, if the team jelled we are a playoff team. This is by far the most talented team MEM has ever had.
Sheenmue
Junior
And1: 5

Post#30 » by Sheenmue » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:42 am

Zach Randolph, that great comedian http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh2fn01cngg .

Sorry for you Grizzlies fans, but Randolph and a young team cannot be a good mix. This year you'll need 2 or 3 balls to play.
Bench Warmer
And1: 79

Post#31 » by 360 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:47 am

boogiesdad wrote:This could be a great trade if Zach can be a garbage guy. He needs to focus on rebounding for a bulk of his points.

The offense has to flow through OJ and Conley.

Honestly, if the team jelled we are a playoff team. This is by far the most talented team MEM has ever had.

I completely agree. Hollins has to do his job now. We have so much talent.
It_Was_Typed
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Post#32 » by It_Was_Typed » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:55 am

Like ZBo is going to change his ways LOL
#JuiceIsFree
BRIGGS
Analyst
And1: 128

Post#33 » by BRIGGS » Thu Jul 2, 2009 3:00 am

Zach will be a good player for you IF he stays healthy. He hasnt been able to stay healthy and that is a key. If he gets hurt you guys have no chance at being somewhat good. I think if he can play 75 games--you will be surprised.

Lets see if he passes the physical first.
Vanilla Ice is the best rap artist of all time
Ripcity4life
Analyst
And1: 218

Post#34 » by Ripcity4life » Thu Jul 2, 2009 3:06 am

I was gonna tear into your GM but instead i just feel sorry for you fans of the Grizz. You guys were making progress maybe baby steps but was still progress but now someone in the teams front office wants to throw a keg of Dynamite named Statbo err Zbo in with your nice young core. Maybe it will FINALLY click for him but did not work in NY nor LA so have fun with him.
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#35 » by ctorres » Thu Jul 2, 2009 3:07 am

Don't pay attention to a lot of the haters. Getting ZBo is good for the Grizzlies. You guys desperately needed a legitimate power forward.

In the 11 games that ZBo played with the Knicks under D'Antoni, he was terrific. He played within the system and the team was playing very well with him. Knicks got rid of him mostly because they were adamant about their 2010 plan.

On a team like the Grizzlies, ZBo won't be the alpha male since you have OJ Mayo and Rudy Gay. I think if healthy, the Grizzlies may now be a 40+ wins team.
I am Ra
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#36 » by I am Ra » Thu Jul 2, 2009 3:09 am

hard49 wrote:
kingofkingz wrote:I'm sorry guys but getting DLee should've been the move. Trust me when i say this Zach is a team killer and DLee is a glue guy and perfect for a contending team.

You mean the same David Lee who has to purchase tickets to even know what the playoffs look like? Please. :roll:

Well he would be in the playoffs if he didnt have guys like Zach and Marbury around him and had some real talent around him. All im trying to say, and im trying to say this nicely, is that guys like zach are horrible for a young team. He hinders ball movement and is going to be uninfluenced to win as soon as things look bleak. The smarter move was to pay less to dlee, who gets garbage points, can finish with both hands and makes a 10-15 jumper, and improves every year. He also grows with your young players and you can actually be good in a couple of years.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 636

Post#37 » by jefe » Thu Jul 2, 2009 3:09 am

Well, if we can score 120 points a game, we ought to be allright.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#38 » by younggunsmn » Thu Jul 2, 2009 3:10 am

The worst part is how you bailed out the clippers and opened up 17 mil of 2010 cap room for them,
and killed your '09 and '10 cap position in the process.
A good GM could have held out for jaric to be included.
Value-wise you got killed in this deal, because q-rich has "zero" value as an expiring,
but zach is "negative 10" because of his contract, even considering his numbers.

milsap and lee are much better fits because of the way they play,
they get their points by grabbing offensive rebs, something important with 3 perimeter oriented players.
zach has never been a decent passer out of the post, he is a black hole,
plus he is soft like charmin on defense.

zach puts up nice stats wherever he goes, but his value as a scorer is undone by his poor defense and unwillingness to pass the ball.
hondaaccord
Bench Warmer
And1: 13

Post#39 » by hondaaccord » Thu Jul 2, 2009 3:17 am

Zach Randolph will give Memphis 20/10... Hes not the worst move possible. Hes not really a cancer, hes a dumb guy and makes silly mistakes off the court, but he won't kill someone...
OlFlashy wrote:Lebron would hurt derozan's development
realfung
Assistant Coach
And1: 44

Post#40 » by realfung » Thu Jul 2, 2009 3:20 am

Good for the Grizz, but Randolph is famous for ruining franchise, and he is not as good as the stats look.
Good try for the Grizz.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies