ImageImage

PG Problems

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

OJMayo32
Ballboy
And1: 0

PG Problems 

Post#1 » by OJMayo32 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:50 pm

I Feel as though we Should Sign Marcus Williams and Let him and Conley Battle it out 4 the starting Positon.... Which i kno Williams will Win Conley is the Worst... He's a Back-up Point at Best we should of been shipped him out of here... I think Marcus Is much more of a better Fit.. He's more of a scorer than Conley and he can Dish the rock (the Summer League record in assist explains dat) unselfish and can score when need to what more can u ask 4..... I think Mike Conley was a waste of that Pick He Should Call up and Thank Greg Oden for His Pay Check because without him Mike Conley would of been a Late 2Nd Rounder if not undrafted.......
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Re: PG Problems 

Post#2 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:10 am

Hello Mayo32.

I'm guessing you're more of an OJ fan than a Grizz fan.

The management and ownership of this team is deeply enamored with Mike Conley.

They won't bring in a point guard that will challenge Mike Conley.

Marcus Williams won't challenge Conley, which actually makes him a good fit.
rhcpjf4
Ballboy

Post#3 » by rhcpjf4 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:00 am

To be honest, I like Conley, but if I'd take Marcus Williams over him. He is a true point guard but just needs to get a little better on defense. If he got the chance, he would thrive and be more successful than Conley. I'd still keep Conley tho.
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:32 am

rhcpjf4 wrote:To be honest, I like Conley, but if I'd take Marcus Williams over him. He is a true point guard but just needs to get a little better on defense. If he got the chance, he would thrive and be more successful than Conley. I'd still keep Conley tho.

You had me until you got to the part about the better defense. With defense, either you go it and you're sold out to it, or you don't. Williams never has been and never will be. He's a good distributor with very poor shot selection. There's a much better chance that he'll eventually improve his shot selection though.

Also, he's two years older than Conley. No matter how hard he tries, he'll never get younger than Mike. Again, I'm not at all against the Grizz signing Williams, I just have no illusions that he'll ever be more than a backup unless Mike goes down to injury.
It_Was_Typed
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Post#5 » by It_Was_Typed » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:31 am

Until Laptop shows he's the clear cut better PG, Conley will be getting the minutes.
#JuiceIsFree
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#6 » by dark-child » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:06 pm

"It was typed" that is so wrong. Here in Memphis we have been forced to put a lot of lipstick on pigs so in an effort to spin that mishap in the event Williams is signed.

Marcus got the whole Michael Dell started his business out of his dorm room inspiring and decided to give it a little urban twist, Frank Lucas style.

What wasn't reported was that Marcus planned on reconfiguring the laptops with faster speeds so his classmates could write reports faster.

Marcus was simply storing the laptops and planned to return them after he had given his manifesto about the evils of capitalism.

In the event Marcus does not sign with Memphis, he can be called by the moniker - "laptop".
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:59 pm

dark-child wrote:"It was typed" that is so wrong. Here in Memphis we have been forced to put a lot of lipstick on pigs so in an effort to spin that mishap in the event Williams is signed.

Marcus got the whole Michael Dell started his business out of his dorm room inspiring and decided to give it a little urban twist, Frank Lucas style.

What wasn't reported was that Marcus planned on reconfiguring the laptops with faster speeds so his classmates could write reports faster.

Marcus was simply storing the laptops and planned to return them after he had given his manifesto about the evils of capitalism.

In the event Marcus does not sign with Memphis, he can be called by the moniker - "laptop".

My understanding now is that when a young Hasheem Thabeet came to his defense, the story was altered to the point that Marcus was in worse trouble that he was in before...
It_Was_Typed
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by It_Was_Typed » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:33 pm

It appears I had the whole situation misunderstood.

Apologies to Marcus Williams.
#JuiceIsFree
BobCatsFoLife
Sophomore

Post#9 » by BobCatsFoLife » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:43 pm

GrizzledGrizzFan wrote:Hello Mayo32.

I'm guessing you're more of an OJ fan than a Grizz fan.

The management and ownership of this team is deeply enamored with Mike Conley.

They won't bring in a point guard that will challenge Mike Conley.

Marcus Williams won't challenge Conley, which actually makes him a good fit.

If management dosen't want to bring in a PG to challenge Mike Conley they better not sign Marcus Williams. I am a fan of Conley and any other player from Indianapolis, In. I hope he becomes an elite PG in the league, but I think Marcus Williams could give him a run at the starting position. Conley definitely has the starting job right now, but I think this is the first time Williams believes he could gain the starting role. He has played behind Jason Kidd, Devin Harris and Monta Ellis. He knew he had no chance to start behind those guys! Mike Conley better step his game up this season!!
CHILL
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#10 » by Downtown » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:40 pm

So I read an article on hoopshype ths morning saying that OJ Mayo has been working with Johhny Davis on his pointguard skills since May and that he's been learning from Devin Harris and Gilbert Arenas. It also said that Mayo has hidden his desire to want to play pointguard.

Like a couple others, I want to see Mayo get some playing time at pointguard, and perhaps they should be looking at simply signing Marcus Williams as the third stringer and be going after a backup shooting guard.

Any ideas on a sign and trade with Warrick for a backup two?
It_Was_Typed
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by It_Was_Typed » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:01 pm

Downtown wrote:So I read an article on hoopshype ths morning saying that OJ Mayo has been working with Johhny Davis on his pointguard skills since May and that he's been learning from Devin Harris and Gilbert Arenas. It also said that Mayo has hidden his desire to want to play pointguard.

Learning from Devin Harris and Gilbert Arenas how to be a PG? LOL.

Go learn from Deron Williams or Chris Paul, Ovinton.
Downtown wrote:Any ideas on a sign and trade with Warrick for a backup two?

Kelenna Azubuike, Jarvis Hayes, Willie Green, Bill Walker?
#JuiceIsFree
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#12 » by NetsForce » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:16 pm

What you have to understand is that Mayo is NOT / WILL NEVER be a "True PG" that's why it makes sense for him to learn how to play the position from other scoring "point guards" like Harris and Arenas.

Also I'd trade Dooling and Najera for Warrick in a heartbeat :=D

Or Hayes and Najera, take your pick!
It_Was_Typed
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by It_Was_Typed » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:43 pm

Juice needs to get at Chauncey Billups.

He does the best job of distributing and getting his own within the game.
#JuiceIsFree
scoobs07
Starter
And1: 82

Post#14 » by scoobs07 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:08 pm

Jordan Farmar from the Lakers is available. What would you offer?
pumuki
Sophomore
And1: 18

Post#15 » by pumuki » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:25 pm

scoobs07 wrote:Jordan Farmar from the Lakers is available. What would you offer?

Only pure cap space, Farmar is not worth anything more, if the Lakers want to save some money this year, just dump him to the Grizzlies for nothing, I think the Grizz could really use him backing up Mike Conley.
scoobs07
Starter
And1: 82

Post#16 » by scoobs07 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:08 pm

How about a sign and trade of Warrick for Farmar, Sun Yue and a future 2nd round pick? Sun Yue is a non-guarenteed contract, you get Farmar and you get a future pick. Thoughts?
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#17 » by Downtown » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:27 pm

I see Marcus William's agent is saying he will sign a contract with Memphis in the next few days for one year at the league minimum of $855,000. Makes sense to me. I think the Grizzlies were waiting to see if there were any sign and trade opportunities with Hakim Warrick. Now that it looks like Warrick could be signing with the Bucks Memphis gets Williams signiture on a contract. There really was nobody Milwaukee would send to Memphis that they need.
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:43 pm

Very cool. Now to sign Jeff Adrien and a wing and the off season is done.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#19 » by TheNewEra » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:54 pm

Why not Nate Robinson?
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:21 am

TheNewEra wrote:Why not Nate Robinson?

Because the Grizzlies are (to a fault) committed to Conley. Nate is better (and more expensive) than Conley. Those are two reasons enough that he'll not get an offer from the Grizz.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies