Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

October TT "Round 2 Results!" 

Post#1 » by Hawk Eye » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:24 am

Scenario 1: (Credit to -Kees-)

Bish V.S. DerrickNoah

Right before the trade deadline, Russell Westbrook gets injured and it looks like he will be out for the year. However, the Thunder are ruling the West and don't want to give up too fast. Without sacrificing TOO much of the young talent that the Thunder have, bring in a guard who can be a temporary second scoring option to Durant, so that the Thunder can continue their push.

Challenge: without sacrificing too much of the young talent the thunder have, bring in a secondary scoring option for Durant as they look to make their trip back to the NBA Finals. Make sure your trade is legal by the CBA.

Off the table: Durant & Ibaka

Player A:

Perkins for Calderon

Why for New York? Get more cap space
Why for OKC? Calderon is a solid point guard and would be great off the bench for the Thunder once Westbrook comes back

Player B:

Thunder get:
Gordon Hayward (14,746,000)

Jazz get:
Jeremy Lamb (2,202,000)
Perry Jones (1,129,200)
K.Perkins (9,654,342) expiring

The Jazz were having buyers remorse after matching Gordon's max signing sheet. They get two young discount Wings & a large expiring contract to continue they rebuild with cheap young players/contracts

The Thunder are super happy to get a young proven scorer in Gordon Hayward who can continue to fit after Westbrook heals. They also keep Reggie Jackson & Steve Adams to fill out their starting line-up until.

PG: Reggie Jackson
SG: Gordon Hayward
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Serge Ibaka
C: Steve Adams
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Scenario 2:

OhOhChristopher V.S. damecurry

The unthinkable has happened..Derrick Rose has suffered another season ending injury right before the trade deadline. The Bulls are currently leading the east and are not letting up on the gas pedal whatsoever. The Bulls front office and coach Thibs believes that they can't trust Rose to stay healthy. They are on the fence as to whether they should wait for him to heal and return next season or trade him for the best value they can get.

Challenge: this one is tough. Make a smart GM decision and decide whether to trade Rose for the best value you can get or let him heal and hope he returns ready for next season. In the meantime, you need to bring in another point guard to lead this Bulls team to the NBA Finals as well! Make sure your trade is legal by the CBA.

Off the table: Joakim Noah

Player A:

Bulls

In - Brandon Jennings

Out - Mike Dunleavy Jr, Kirk Hinrich, E'Twaun Moore, CHI 2017 2nd

Pistons

In - Mike Dunleavy Jr, Kirk Hinrich, E'Twaun Moore, CHI 2017 2nd

Out - Brandon Jennings

Bulls lineup
PG - Brandon Jennings | Aaron Brooks
SG - Jimmy Butler | Tony Snell
SF - Doug McDermott
PF - Pau Gasol | Nikola Mirotic
C - Joakim Noah

Pistons lineup
PG - DJ Augustin | Kirk Hinrich
SG - Jodie Meeks | KCP
SF - Josh Smith | Mike Dunleavy Jr
PF - Greg Monroe
C - Andre Drummond

If Derrick Rose got injured a 3rd time, I don't think it would be possible for the Bulls to find a team who would take him. So they can't just move on and trade him. Jennings can give them 15-18 points a game, 5-7 assists, can run the offense. Jennings is an expiring at $8M next year so he can be traded.

Pistons do this to shed salary. I'm not one who believes Jennings makes the team worse, but he does have a bad contract. I also don't think there's any chance Josh Smith is still on the team at the deadline this year, so they should've shed most of their salary to get Monroe signed long-term after this season.

Player B:

Derrick Rose (18.8m) + Tony Snell (1.4m) for Jeff Teague (8m) + Kyle Korver (6.2m) + Elton Brand (2m)
Math should be legal but Atlanta has about 7m in cap space atm anyway so should definitely work.

Why for Atlanta: Hawks are near the bottom of the playoff pack once again as the tradeline approaches. They decide to semi-tank, take on the injured Rose who could be the playmaker Teague hasn't panned out to be that they need. They get a young prospect and only have to give up a couple guys in their 30s of limited value. This trade if Rose can stay healthy will make them a very dangerous team for the next few years.

Why for Chicago: Bulls get a solid placeholder at pg who can score/pass/defend adequetaly. They get depth and experience to help their young wings and can shift pau to primarily backing up Noah while Taj/Mirotic/Brand fill out the PF spot. This will be enough to keep them on their winning track for now and gives them a young solid pg who should pair well with their defensive minded tough team for the future.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Re: October TT "Round 2 Results!" 

Post#2 » by HornetJail » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:33 am

Calderon trade for scenario one. Teague trade for scenario 2
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#3 » by Hawk Eye » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:39 am

BizGilwalker wrote:Calderon trade for scenario one. Teague trade for scenario 2

Can you provide some detailed explanation? I've been having players e-mail me requesting for judges to provide reasoning as to why they picked player A or player B
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#4 » by HornetJail » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:12 am

PMOTT3 wrote:
BizGilwalker wrote:Calderon trade for scenario one. Teague trade for scenario 2

Can you provide some detailed explanation? I've been having players e-mail me requesting for judges to provide reasoning as to why they picked player A or player B

Sure.

For Scenario 1- I think the Gordon Hayward deal is DOA. The Thunder refused to pay James Harden the max. They surely aren't going to be interested in paying Gordon Hayward one. I like Calderon better than Perkins (not saying much) and if OKC really does need a PG, he's a passer that could get a little extra out of Adams offensively, and that's a definite plus. I don't like Calderon's defense or contract, but it's the lesser of the two evils, I guess.

For Scenario 2- If I'm building a winning team, I keep Jennings well away from my lineup. He kills your team on both ends, and despite his talent, he's a bottom three starting PG in the league who does more harm than good. I personally don't think Atlanta does the second trade, but if Teague is disappointing, ATL doesn't look good, and the roster needs a revamp, taking a flyer on Rose certainly is a risk, but one that could reap benefits.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,691

Post#5 » by MadNESS » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:37 am

I say player A for both.

OKC one -

Calderon for Perkins actually makes sense for both teams, should this ever happen.
There is no way OKC pays 3 max guys. Ever.

Bulls one -

I can't see the Bulls trading Rose under any circumstance, period. They would rather have him be their problem, then sell him for cheap.
The Jennings deal could actually work. Put him with a million defenders and shooters, and have Thibs in his ear 24/7/365 could really truthfully work.

My 2 cents and my votes. Great job fellas.
LAKESHOW
CBFAlex
Rookie
And1: 69

Post#6 » by CBFAlex » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:33 pm

Scenario 1 I'll take player A because no way does the jazz do that deal

In scenario 2 I'll take A again because I don't think rose will have any value if he's missing his 3rd straight year and that point he's Brandon roy
sterncohen
Bench Warmer
And1: 38

Post#7 » by sterncohen » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:40 pm

First scenario: Not a big fan of either entry. Player A's deal is a maybe for OKC - Calderon would be quite good for them, but I do not think they will trade Perkins unless a veteran C is coming back, and I don't think they want to tie up that much additional money for future years. I don't think the Knicks do the deal; they gave up cap space for Calderon because they think he fits what they're trying to create, and they'd be left without a remotely decent PG. Player B's deal looks to me to be a no for both teams. If OKC wasn't paying max money to James Harden, it's a pretty fair bet that they're not paying it to Gordon Hayward. And, unless either Lamb or Jones starts to look a lot better than they have so far - in which case OKC has no incentive to trade them for Hayward - I think Utah sticks with their guy. I will vote for Player A's deal as narrowly less unrealistic.

Second scenario: Both good entries. I like player A's deal a lot - Detroit would love to get out of Jennings' deal, and he's a risk worth taking for Chicago if they think they can contend. Winning team, tough coach, strong veteran locker room - if he's ever going to do what he does well and stop doing what he does badly, that's the environment for it to happen in. Player B's deal is creative, and it works for Chicago. At the end of the day I think Atlanta says no, for two reasons. First, if Rose has one more injury I just don't see anybody taking the risk; at that point we're talking hugely damaged goods and $40M owed over the next two seasons. Second, everything about the way the Hawks have acted says that they don't want to drop out of the playoffs, even to boost their long term chances, and losing Teague and Korver would surely knock them out. I vote for Player A.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,775

Post#8 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:45 pm

Just wanted to stop in and say that I thought these were all quite interesting ideas by the contestants. Not a one of them would have been my solution to the scenario, but obviously there is a reason these 4 guys are in and I am eliminated. Nice work everyone. There is one I particularly like, but as I am not a judge I will not comment as to influence things.

Looking forward to the Finals.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
DerrickNoah
General Manager
And1: 1,722

Post#9 » by DerrickNoah » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:22 pm

It looks like Bish has me on this one. Congrats bro!

1st - I wanted to to say that I do like the Jose idea for OKC but I do not think Phil Jackson would do that deal. I believe that he values Calderon more than just cap space but still a very realistic deal otherwise.

2nd - The judges need to consider that the scenario given, clearly made OKC seem desperate enough to take on some extra money to improve their team and that's why Hayward seemed like a good fit. They obviously regret not keeping Harden and see money as much less of an issue with the new TV deal in place.

3rd - UTAH is not going to make the playoffs with Hayward as their leader. I truly believe they only matched his offer sheet to trade him down the road for assets (similar to when Denver matched Nene).... This is perfect for them, if that is indeed the case

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
BAF: Phoenix Suns
PG: Ayo Donaumu
SG: Franz Wagner / Ochai Agbaji
SF: Keegan Murray / Cam Whitmore
PF: Patrick Williams / Julian Phillips
C: O-Max Prosper
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,958

Post#10 » by goober » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:31 pm

Wow I was nervous with DerrickNoahs deal. That deal was solid

Nice that I've gone to the Finals each time I've played :D
SacSanity
Senior
And1: 89

Post#11 » by SacSanity » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:30 pm

Scenario 1:

I vote for Player A. More realistic and a better interim solution. Calderon along side Reggie Jackson brings a nice balance of offense and defense for the team. It also helps that Calderon is a willing passer that wouldn't require much of a transition phase when coming to the team.

Scenario 2:

I vote for Player B. I feel that if DRose were to get injured again, it would finally be time for the Bulls to move on. With that being said, bringing Teague and Korver would be great return value while still looking for the future.

Return to Trades and Transactions Games