Future Games / New Ideas / Suggestion Thread

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Re: Future Games / New Ideas / Suggestion Thread 

Post#21 » by Hawk Eye » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:10 am

MadNESS wrote:Word on the "streets" is Rocd0gg might be running an OAT.

He's the most strict and anal commishioner ever, which is a great thing.

Everything is precise with him.

Can't wait.

I have still yet to participate in an OAT and have been dying to do so. You think an OAT game will draw a lot of interest and get a great turnout?
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 983

Post#22 » by roc » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:09 am

OaT v4 can start sign ups once GMaT is completed. It will be a game that returns each season like OaT v2 (v 2 will return next fall) has so there would be no draft or FA til next season sees v4's return.

What that translates to is a shorter timeline for just this season... roughly 3 weeks should do it.
the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,690

Post#23 » by MadNESS » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:03 am

r0cd0gg wrote:OaT v4 can start sign ups once GMaT is completed. It will be a game that returns each season like OaT v2 (v 2 will return next fall) has so there would be no draft or FA til next season sees v4's return.

What that translates to is a shorter timeline for just this season... roughly 3 weeks should do it.

LAKESHOW
lsuguy13
Junior
And1: 37

Post#24 » by lsuguy13 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:44 am

What's oat?
roc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 983

Post#25 » by roc » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:09 am

^Own a Team
the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe
Blazer50
Head Coach
And1: 759

Post#26 » by Blazer50 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:04 am

I like madness idea - just need to allocate duties to seasoned guys. I do agree the influx of new guys is good but they have to try to learn CBA and other rules

Another idea would be a three season game starting with 2011 then 2012 and 2013
Eliminate top 2 rookies each year - not necessarily top 2 draft picks. Once season over the teams will have changed enough that draft order will be different and the stars will be out of each draft.
lsuguy13
Junior

Post#27 » by lsuguy13 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:24 am

What's the difference between oat and gmat
lsuguy13
Junior

Post#28 » by lsuguy13 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:29 am

Do y'all ever do any games where it's a start from scratch draft Ala all nba players in a pool or a fantasy draft type thing. I'd love something like that
Ralnor
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 544

Post#29 » by Ralnor » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:31 am

I think the commissioner whoever that is, should use emailing as away to let everyone who is playing what is coming up/going on. Besides just posting it. IE: Post AND email everyone what is going on etc.
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#30 » by Hawk Eye » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:25 am

We also need a commish who is actually around for the majority of the game. Especially free agency which is like the most important part.
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#31 » by MadNESS » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:15 am

You guys don't know Roc do you.

Just wait...
LAKESHOW
damecurry
General Manager
And1: 1,517

Post#32 » by damecurry » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:23 am

lsuguy13 wrote:Do y'all ever do any games where it's a start from scratch draft Ala all nba players in a pool or a fantasy draft type thing. I'd love something like that

It has been discussed in the recent past. I too like the idea but it did not receive a lot of interest and even did have some derision when brought up in the past. But the cool thing about fantasy is you could theoretically make it work with only 10-20 players, you'd just have to fairly eliminate enough nba players from the overall pool so that people didn't wind up with super-star only teams or something.
bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Post#33 » by bringbackhoffa » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:41 pm

damecurry wrote:
lsuguy13 wrote:Do y'all ever do any games where it's a start from scratch draft Ala all nba players in a pool or a fantasy draft type thing. I'd love something like that

It has been discussed in the recent past. I too like the idea but it did not receive a lot of interest and even did have some derision when brought up in the past. But the cool thing about fantasy is you could theoretically make it work with only 10-20 players, you'd just have to fairly eliminate enough nba players from the overall pool so that people didn't wind up with super-star only teams or something.

I had tried to set up a fantasy type of game but there was really no interest at the time..
bringbackhoffa wrote:Its been a while since we have down a build a team or a create a team, so I thought I would give it a shot and see if there is any interest.

Build a Team- Strategy Version

Objective: To build the best win-now team through a 12 round draft, followed by playoffs to determine the winner. As you will see with the rules below this game is to try and mimic what a real NBA team looks like.

There will only be 8 teams in total for this game (only want people who I know will be active to join). If successful we can expand this to include more teams in future games. This number will not change no matter what for this current game.

Playoff Format (could potentially change depending on feedback):

1. Pick 1 vs Pick 2
2. Pick 3 vs Pick 4
3. Pick 5 vs Pick 6
4. Pick 7 vs Pick 8

Winner of 1 faces 2 and winner of 3 faces 4 and winners of those 2 face-off for championship

YOU MUST include a write-up for all playoff rounds. This game is all about the write-up, I want to see detail match-ups schemes, rotations, offensive/defensive strategies.

Judging will be done by all in game participants, if there is a tie we will go to a sudden death tie break. (Sudden-death is each team involved in the tie, will get to “injure” one player from the opposing team, and we will then re-vote based on the new rotation)

Rules:

1. Only Current NBA players who played during the 2013-2014 NBA season are eligible to be drafted

2. You will draft 12 players in total
a. Your rotation at the end of the game does not have to use all 12 players, however you still have to draft 12
b. Draft order is completely random

3. At NO point can you go over a $65 million hard cap

4. Salaries are based on 2013-2014 contracts

5. You may only have 6 players on your team that started more than 41 games this past season
a. You can only have a maximum of 2 starters that are still on their rookie contracts

6. If a player was injury prone during the 2013-2014 NBA season he will be considered injury prone for the purposes of this game

7. Coaches will be drafted at the conclusion of the player draft, so you can draft a coach that you believe best fits your roster. Coaches salary does not matter, and only coaches who coached in 2013-2014 are elgiable.

8. You may make 2 trades at the conclusion of the draft, however you must still abide by the above rules. NO trading of picks are allowed, only after draft is done.

9. If you miss your selection you will get last pick in the round or whenever you get back online. If you know you will be away please send the 2 GM’s drafting after you a list of your picks. Draft will most likely run from 10am EST to 10pm EST. You will have 90 minutes to make your selection.

10. Draft will follow the following format to reduce the advantage given to teams who get an early pick in round one.

Player Selection: ABBABABABBAB
Coach Selection: B

11. The following players CANNOT be drafted to make the game more complex

PG: Chris Paul, Russell Westbrook, Steph Curry
SG: James Harden,
SF: Lebron James, Kevin Durant
PF: Anthony Davis, Kevin Love
C: Dwight Howard, Marc Gasol

You must abide by all rules at all times

This game is not for everyone, if you read the rules and you think it sucks keep it to yourself don’t make yourself feel obliged to comment below stating it sucks (useful feedback is welcomed though)

This game will be done pretty quickly:

Draft 1 player each day (12 days).
Draft coach (1 day)
Trading (1 day)
Round 1 playoffs (2 days) –want to give time for insightful write-ups
Round 2 playoffs (2 days)
Round 3 playoffs (2 day)

Total 18 days
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
lsuguy13
Junior

Post#34 » by lsuguy13 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:09 am

I'd love to be part of that game. Have y'all done one before?
CellarDoor
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 972

Post#35 » by CellarDoor » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:04 am

....what on earth is the difference between GM a Team and Own a Team? Am I getting that old?

edit: just read Roc's rules thread. Holy crap that's intense.
tsherkin wrote:You can run away if you like, but I'm not done with this nonsense, I'm going rip apart everything you've said so everyone else here knows that you're completely lacking in basic basketball knowledge...
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#36 » by MadNESS » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:13 am

CellarDoor wrote:....what on earth is the difference between GM a Team and Own a Team? Am I getting that old?

It's not that bad, come back and play man! It's been forever!
LAKESHOW
CellarDoor
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 972

Post#37 » by CellarDoor » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:15 pm

MadNESS wrote:
CellarDoor wrote:....what on earth is the difference between GM a Team and Own a Team? Am I getting that old?

It's not that bad, come back and play man! It's been forever!

Haha...that's way more work than I've got time for. Hell, reading and comprehending the rules (and keeping track of assistant hires and whatnot?!) would take me hours.
tsherkin wrote:You can run away if you like, but I'm not done with this nonsense, I'm going rip apart everything you've said so everyone else here knows that you're completely lacking in basic basketball knowledge...
bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Post#38 » by bringbackhoffa » Fri Feb 6, 2015 5:00 pm

lsuguy13 wrote:I'd love to be part of that game. Have y'all done one before?

theres a Build a Team starting on the Knicks forum, just need 6 more GM;s , feel free to signup
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
calderon13
Pro Prospect
And1: 90

Post#39 » by calderon13 » Wed Mar 4, 2015 8:05 pm

I don't know who remembers this game but MadNESS and I were part of it. ALL TIME DRAFT - Build A Team

This is how the game works:

1. 16 Players - 16 teams
2. Each team starts off with drafting a COACH from a list of active or retired NBA/ABA coaches.
3. Each team then drafts 12 players using the SNAKE draft process.
3a. When drafting a player, you have to select 3 consecutive years for that player that you think were/are the best for the said player

Example: Michael Jordan (1996, 1997, 1998), 3 time scoring champion, 2 time MVP, 3 finals MVP, 3 NBA titles, 1 All Star MVP

4. Once the drafting is complete, you pick a team from a list of 8 best teams in the NBA right now in EAST and WEST.

Game begins with a trading period of 2 weeks, 2 week of playoffs and finals by voting which will be done by the players of this game (east votes west and vice versa, hoping that we are unbiased), no write ups whatsoever. No fuss about looking up salaries, player options, team options, expiring contracts. Just draft the best team that you possibly can and try to win the game.

The only write up that you will ever have to do is during the playoffs as to why your team has a chance of winning the series.

Shouldn't last more than 5 weeks if everything goes super smoothly.

It was actually a lot of fun and its a different game compared to the played out GMAT and OAT
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,709

Post#40 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Mar 4, 2015 8:09 pm

^^^ That game is probably better served to have no trading as there are no contracts or draft picks and thus everyone should be trying to compete for a championship. Would be fun I think to just try and draft the best team--see which guys can actually build a cohesive team and which guys just go for big names.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.

Return to Trades and Transactions Games