Early Discussion/Suggestion for Next Gmat

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

damecurry
General Manager
And1: 1,517

Early Discussion/Suggestion for Next Gmat 

Post#1 » by damecurry » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:36 am

Hey all,
I don't know if there has been any behind-closed-doors discussion about this yet, hope I'm not too early in starting this thread. Just thought with the summer game winding down we could start planning the next one.

I've heard feedback and completely agree that we should finally do the famous 2016 aka KD sweepstake FA period. Also would like to run a 2016 draft, first round only, but understand if others find it too early.

With 2015 FA more-or-less wrapped up we can just start with a trading period. Close for playoffs, draft, then 2016 FA, short trading and then final rankings. Basically the standard formula.

I will be fairly busy in the coming weeks/months but would volunteer to CO-commision the next game assuming others weren't already planning on it. I would definitely want at least 1 (preferably 3) other people co-running the game. It's been awhile since I've done one and don't have the time to do one alone. But I would be happy to help. Interested to hear others thoughts.
Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Re: Early Discussion/Suggestion for Next Gmat 

Post#2 » by Troubadour » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:50 pm

I had an idea for a GMAT a while ago that I finally have the time to run now.

This was my post from back then...

It starts in the Offseason of 2002, but the draft and free agency results are as they were. Trading is done for a week and then playoffs start. Rankings of all of the teams are submitted and playoffs are simulated as usual. The next off-season has the standard lottery, draft and free agency.

Here are salaries:
01-02: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/nba/stories/2001-02-salaries.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
02-03: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2002-2003-nba-salaries-eastern-conference.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Free Agents
01-02: http://www.nba.com/transactions/freeagents2002_team.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
02-03: http://www.nba.com/transactions/freeagents2003_team.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Few reasons why it would be fun:
- LeBron, Carmelo, Wade, Bosh draft
- Kidd, Duncan, Arenas, Hamilton, Jermaine O'Neal are the free agents
- Challenge of playing with a lower salary cap and the Sonics would be back

We could do two free agency / draft cycles because we're obviously a lot more familiar with the draft prospects. It may also help GMs position themselves for the greatest draft lottery of all time.

Here's a sample salary cap table that I made:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VikjPlkpRU3YP0zELLBe2WD_9BlZ1v9kSeGn5-pC2T8/edit#gid=1

Question for the group: would it make more sense to use the current CBA to play this game? We're all more familiar with the new rules and it would limit any confusion we might have.
Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,478

Post#3 » by Karmaloop » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:12 pm

Using past seasons to me is a conundrum, because we already know what players are going to be like. For example, a guy like Darko we know is going to be a bust, but a guy like Okafor doesn't have that same thing weighing over his head. I don't really have any interest in playing a previous years draft.
Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Post#4 » by Troubadour » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:46 pm

Karmaloop wrote:Using past seasons to me is a conundrum, because we already know what players are going to be like. For example, a guy like Darko we know is going to be a bust, but a guy like Okafor doesn't have that same thing weighing over his head. I don't really have any interest in playing a previous years draft.

Fair, but I disagree on the prospect side of things. We know Darko is a bust if he's drafted by a team that won't play him and is coached by Larry Brown.
damecurry
General Manager

Post#5 » by damecurry » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:00 pm

Karmaloop wrote:Using past seasons to me is a conundrum, because we already know what players are going to be like. For example, a guy like Darko we know is going to be a bust, but a guy like Okafor doesn't have that same thing weighing over his head. I don't really have any interest in playing a previous years draft.

I tend to agree. If other's have interest in a past-game by all means feel free but I'd have to pass, I just really don't have the requisite knowledge of nba history for that game, very much a contemporary guy.
Blazer50
Head Coach
And1: 759

Post#6 » by Blazer50 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:09 pm

100% agree with Karmaloop on this - which is kind of unusual. Historic games are not of any interest to me. You know how it turns out. Greg Oden is not suddenly going to have good knees, etc.

Since we had a great turn out on the Summer Game - I like the idea of ranking the results of that game and continuing with the same teams - rosters, etc. We can do another week of trades as we will have the draft order determined and then go on to the KD FA sweepstakes and 2016 draft to finish this game out.

ANY TAKERS!
Karmaloop
General Manager

Post#7 » by Karmaloop » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:15 pm

No thanks. This game got stale at the end of the game, and I don't think expanding the game is going to fix that issue.
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,686

Post#8 » by MadNESS » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:36 am

I have no problem with continuing this game, starting a new one, or tryong something new all together.

I came up with an idea that I posted in the other thread - a new type of twist.

5 rounds of fantasy drafting. So 150 players drafted, ABBAA style.
Random pick selection. Howevery many GM's we get, hopefully 30 or some will double up.

THEN everyone get assinged a team with the remaining players from that team, again randomly.

For example:

I draft Lebron with the first overall pick, Al Jefferson with the 60th pick, George HIll with the 90st pick, Kevin Martin with the 91st pick, and then Myles Turner 121st pick, I would then randomly get assigned the Lakers, with the remaining players that never got drafted in the fantasy draft. So assuming = Kobe, Russell, Hibbert, Clarkson, Randle all get drafted, I would end up with something like:

Hill / etc. / etc.
Martin / Lou Will / Brown
Lebron / Brown
Jefferson / Bass / Nance
Turner / Sacre / Upshaw

It would all be completely random EXCEPT who you draft. Those 5 players will be your say.

I think it would be interesting - bring in both concepts of GM'ing - Drafting and Balance + a regular GMAT would follow after.

So you pick your 5 guys (with a random draft spot), get assigned a team with the remaining players (a random selection of teams), then follow up with a normal GMAT.

NEW Twist - New take.
LAKESHOW
ThunderFan123
Junior
And1: 13

Post#9 » by ThunderFan123 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:46 am

I like MadNess' idea. I'd be willing to try that
Karmaloop
General Manager

Post#10 » by Karmaloop » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:01 am

I wouldn't mind ness' idea, although I'd simplify it to three rounds. Just using CBS Sports' rankings, the 150th player is Zaza Pachulia. I don't think anyone really cares to draft Zaza that much to be completely honest.

EDIT: Also, there should be some sort of reward system for a team that gets absolutely picked through. Not fair if you're picking last in teh 1st round, and then you get stuck with a team with little talent leftover.
SimonFish
General Manager
And1: 2,029

Post#11 » by SimonFish » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:34 am

Shouldnt the draft be ABBAB instead?
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,686

Re: 

Post#12 » by MadNESS » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:40 am

SimonFish wrote:Shouldnt the draft be ABBAB instead?

It could be, but since the league is top heavy, and then a big drop off, but then it kinda of balances off for 50 ish players or so.

Either way, it doesnt matter.

Do you guys like the idea??
LAKESHOW
Cormag001
Pro Prospect
And1: 288

Post#13 » by Cormag001 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:40 am

I would love to try the draft, but I agree about three rounds. That way, teams like the Warriors don't get ripped apart in the 5 rounds...

Each team gets their own "Big Three"
ThunderFan123
Junior

Post#14 » by ThunderFan123 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:12 am

5 rounds would allow for each person to get their starting lineup in.
damecurry
General Manager

Post#15 » by damecurry » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:47 am

Karmaloop wrote:I wouldn't mind ness' idea, although I'd simplify it to three rounds. Just using CBS Sports' rankings, the 150th player is Zaza Pachulia. I don't think anyone really cares to draft Zaza that much to be completely honest.

EDIT: Also, there should be some sort of reward system for a team that gets absolutely picked through. Not fair if you're picking last in teh 1st round, and then you get stuck with a team with little talent leftover.

I disagree, zaza is the 150th best right now maybe, but a lot of guys will intentionally be drafting younger/potential based picks so the 5th round won't come down to zaza caliber guys. I think 5 rounds is ideal, fewer would kinda nullify the point to some degree for me.
But I do like the idea in general, think it would be a fun new thing, though it'll need to be managed well and not take too long.
ThunderFan123
Junior

Post#16 » by ThunderFan123 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:27 am

I agree about the reward system. Or maybe just do a snake draft where whoever drafts 30th in 1st goes 1st and second and so on. How will salaries affect things. Maybe allow the GMs to offer extensions before FA opens. Maybe go through our draft followed by a week for trades and extensions if we decide on that, then FA, then a week or two more of trading, then rankings for that year then we can do 2016 just like 2015 without draft so we can do KD sweepstakes and whoever has best ranking average wins
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#17 » by Warriorfan » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:37 am

MadNESS wrote:I have no problem with continuing this game, starting a new one, or tryong something new all together.

I came up with an idea that I posted in the other thread - a new type of twist.

5 rounds of fantasy drafting. So 150 players drafted, ABBAA style.
Random pick selection. Howevery many GM's we get, hopefully 30 or some will double up.

THEN everyone get assinged a team with the remaining players from that team, again randomly.

For example:

I draft Lebron with the first overall pick, Al Jefferson with the 60th pick, George HIll with the 90st pick, Kevin Martin with the 91st pick, and then Myles Turner 121st pick, I would then randomly get assigned the Lakers, with the remaining players that never got drafted in the fantasy draft. So assuming = Kobe, Russell, Hibbert, Clarkson, Randle all get drafted, I would end up with something like:

Hill / etc. / etc.
Martin / Lou Will / Brown
Lebron / Brown
Jefferson / Bass / Nance
Turner / Sacre / Upshaw

It would all be completely random EXCEPT who you draft. Those 5 players will be your say.

I think it would be interesting - bring in both concepts of GM'ing - Drafting and Balance + a regular GMAT would follow after.

So you pick your 5 guys (with a random draft spot), get assigned a team with the remaining players (a random selection of teams), then follow up with a normal GMAT.

NEW Twist - New take.

I like the original premise
5 rounds of drafting can be difficult given time zones etc but this would garner more interest than usual draft.

The random free agent aspect also can be a problem you can end up with 5 -6 max deals.

Maybe 6 rd draft and free agency for players not drafted. So cap management budget comes into play.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#18 » by Warriorfan » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:42 am

For the most part I agree with this. If we did a past draft I would not go so far back. A key year like 2010 where familiarity of players and resources are better.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,037

Post#19 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:16 pm

Blazer50 wrote:

100% agree with Karmaloop on this - which is kind of unusual. Historic games are not of any interest to me. You know how it turns out. Greg Oden is not suddenly going to have good knees, etc.

Since we had a great turn out on the Summer Game - I like the idea of ranking the results of that game and continuing with the same teams - rosters, etc. We can do another week of trades as we will have the draft order determined and then go on to the KD FA sweepstakes and 2016 draft to finish this game out.

ANY TAKERS!

I would love to continue this game out a bit more. I keep thinking about 2016 FA for this team.
ThunderFan123
Junior

Post#20 » by ThunderFan123 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:48 pm

We can always run multiple GMATs as long as enough people are willing to be commish and play in the leagues. Also, with continuing would the same people keep the teams or would just the teams stay the same and people are randomly assigned teams. If the same people keep the teams you will have inactive GMs. I think getting randomly teams from the current rosters from the rnd of this GMAT would be better as we can see how other GMa dud

Return to Trades and Transactions Games