East Round Two: (8 seed) ATL Boy vs (5 seed) Timmaytime

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#1 » by Hawk Eye » Thu May 19, 2016 3:20 am

Do NOT vote in this thread until ATL Boy and Timmaytime have posted their writeups.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#2 » by ATL Boy » Thu May 19, 2016 5:00 pm

Atlanta Sports Heartbreaks vs. Tune Squad

Coach: Tom Thibodeau

Players (and years):

Mike Conley Jr. (2012-13)
Kobe Bryant (2007-08)
Shane Battier (2006-07)
Chris Bosh (2010-11)
Marc Gasol (2012-13)

Bench:
PJ Brown (2000-01)
Trevor Ariza (2008-09)
Josh Richardson (2015-16)

PG: Mike Conley Jr. (37)/ Josh Richardson (11)
SG: Kobe Bryant (36)/ Josh Richardson (6)/Trevor Ariza (6)
SF: Shane Battier (28)/ Trevor Ariza (20)
PF: Chris Bosh (33)/ PJ Brown (10)/ Shane Battier (5)
C: Marc Gasol (33)/ PJ Brown (15)

Timmaytime's Tune Squad

Steve Nash
Manu Ginobili
Shawn Marion
Blake Griffin
Al Horford

Bench:
Eric Bledsoe
Mike Miller
Tristan Thompson

Head Coach: Rick Adelman

Before starting, I would like to wish Timmaytime the best of luck, and compliment him on his beautiful avatar 8-)

I would like to start by reminding everyone of my team's defensive prowess. In the last round, against Jory's great defensive team, there was the feeling of a very narrow victory for Timmaytime ("Timmaytime in 7", "tough decision", and "back and forth" were all used to describe that series), and I got the sense that Timmaytime got the win because Jory's team only just couldn't muster up enough offense. I feel that my team is just as good as Jory's defensively across the board, and that we do have enough offense, the foundation of which is the best scorer in this series (Kobe Bryant).

We feel that an elite defensive PG in Mike Conley (second team all defense) will be able to give Steve Nash fits on the perimeter, and be able to somewhat disrupt him on offense. A slowed down Nash offensively slows down the rest of Timmaytime's team, as he's the composer of that entire symphony. On the other end, Conley should be able to penetrate at will against Nash, who's not a good defender, and that should cause all sorts of problem's for my opponent's defense.

I assume that Shawn Marion will get put on Bryant, and while I do respect Marion's defense, there's no way anybody's stopping a prime Kobe one on one. If there's no help sent, the Mamba will get his on offense.

What I feel that really gives me an advantage is the matchup between Marc Gasol and 2011 Al Horford. Horford has always had major problems against legit 7 footers on both ends of the court. Defensively, 2011 Horford was constantly abused by Dwight Howard in the post-season, and while Gasol isn't as powerful as Dwight, his skill and technique make up that. Gasol isolations and post-ups will give Horford a terrible time. On the other end, Marc is a DPOY, and Horford's problems against defensive 7-footers really showed in the 2011 post-season, where Horford averaged more FGA than points scored in two series' against Dwight and Joakim Noah.

Switching Blake Griffin on Gasol defensively also won't do much, as 2013 Blake isn't someone who was too used to guarding post players (Randolph had a good playoff series against Blake that year).

There will be no respite for Horford when DPOY candidate PJ Brown comes in against him, and 7-foot PJ is someone who will be able to keep pesky Tristen Thompson off the offensively glass.

We have elite perimeter defenders like Kobe (first team defensive player, 2008 his second best defensive year ever), Battier, and Ariza to shut down the likes of Manu, Marion, and Mike Miller on the wings. We like Chris Bosh's defense against Blake Griffin as well (Richardson on Bledsoe too). Tom Thibodeau's defensive brilliance will make it all the harder for Timmaytime's squad offensively.

we have deep defensive players to match up one on one across the board and stagnate my opponent's offense. And on the other end, we have three incredible primary offensive options in Conley's penetration, Gasol's post-ups, and Kobe's one on one play which are difficult for my opponent to defend unless he brings a double team, in which case my players will make the extra pass and find the open shooter.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,717

Re: East Round Two: (8 seed) ATL Boy vs (5 seed) Timmaytime 

Post#3 » by Timmaytime » Fri May 20, 2016 12:22 am

I had my write-up written and then my computer crashed before it posted :banghead:

it'll probably be up later tonight though
ComboGuardCity wrote:If Bellinelli drops 50 and we lose I’ll eat my dog
Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Timmaytime » Sat May 21, 2016 12:29 am

Years:
’07 Steve Nash
’14 Eric Bledsoe
’05 Manu Ginobili
’07 Shawn Marion
’13 Mike Miller
’13 Blake Griffin
’11 Al Horford
’16 Tristan Thompson

Rotation:

Steve Nash (36) | Eric Bledsoe (12)
Manu Ginobili (34) | Eric Bledsoe (14)
Shawn Marion (32) | Mike Miller (16)
Blake Griffin (36) | Al Horford (6) | Shawn Marion (6)
Al Horford (22) | Tristan Thompson (26)

First off, absolutely FANTASTIC team, ATL Boy, probably my favorite in this tourney and a tough matchup for sure.

Offense:

We are very aware of Marc Gasol. He is a fantastic post defender, makes great reads and rotations, and alters shots. That being said, there are a couple things he struggles with. Gasol isn’t very quick moving laterally, he has trouble guarding jump shooters, and transition defense and rebounding aren’t his strong suit either. We can exploit all of these things. We’ll start by relying a bit more on Tristan Thompson. He is an explosive finisher and can out-rebound anyone on the floor. His energy and movement can also give Gasol fits trying to box him out.

We’re going to run a lot more. If you go by TRB%, we have the FOUR BEST rebounders in this series (Griffin, Thompson, Horford and Marion all above PJ Brown). ATL Boy's team won’t get many second chances so when they miss shots we’ll gobble up boards and move in transition to get Gasol out of his comfort zone. Pretty much everyone on our team has extensive experience in a fast paced offense.

We’re also going to rely a lot more on the high PnR/PnP than usual when in the half court. Griffin and Thompson are very capable roll men and Al Horford is a dangerous PnP shooter. This will draw Gasol out of the post, and if ATL Boy tries to switch Bosh onto someone we can just send the other big out.

Conley may be a great defender, but you’d be hard pressed to find someone with better court vision and awareness from the point guard than ’07 Steve Nash. He’ll make plays, Conley shouldn’t be an issue.

Defense:

We’re going to give Kobe a few different looks. We’ll rotate Bledsoe, Ginobili and Marion onto him, mixing quickness, strength and length to try and slow him down. We can only do so much, but it’s certainly better than doubling as Kobe is a very willing playmaker. Ginobili will guard Conley when he’s not on Kobe, and Nash will hide on Battier. In ’07 Battier shot 57% of his attempts from behind the long line so he’s not a threat.

ATL Boy plans on using Conley drives as a secondary form of offense, and even though Conley’s quickness will certainly get him to the hoop, in 2013 he was only a 56% shooter at the rim. In comparison, Bledsoe and Nash were at 66% and 68% respectively.

We’re also pretty confident in our bigs matching up. Gasol is a threat in the post, but he is no ’11 Dwight Howard… Bosh in ’11 was a great offensive player, but the Heat hadn’t really figured out how to use him yet so his PnR/PnP game was much more inconsistent than it was later on. And once again, our bigs (and Marion) are much better rebounders, so second chance points will be few and far between.

Kobe can only do so much, especially while being guarded by guys like Marion and Bledsoe, and there’s not a good enough offensive plan other than that to keep Kobe from playing hero ball.

Timmaytime in 7
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,578

Post#5 » by parsnips33 » Sat May 21, 2016 5:59 pm

Honestly I was leaning towards ATL boy at first. I love the makeup of his team around Kobe and I think it's essentially a perfect fit. However, Timmay's writeup was very persuasive to me, specifically in terms of neutralizing Gasol and playing to Nash's strengths in terms of playing uptempo and running high PnR/PnP. I there are too many offensive threats for ATL's team to keep in check and Nash will have the offense running at a notch above what Kobe's squad can muster.

Voting for Timmaytime
DerrickNoah
General Manager
And1: 1,722

Post#6 » by DerrickNoah » Sat May 21, 2016 6:52 pm

ATL Boy
BAF: Phoenix Suns
PG: Ayo Donaumu / Davion Mitchell
SG: Cam Whitmore / Tim Hardaway Jr
SF: Franz Wagner / Moses Moody
PF: Keegan Murray / Bogdon Bogdonovic
C: Patrick Williams / O-Max Prosper
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,675

Post#7 » by MadNESS » Sat May 21, 2016 8:11 pm

Much like Parsnips - I was leaning towards ATL boy (how could I vote against Kobe), but then I realized how good Timmay's team actually is. Even though they will struggle to defend, they will outscore ATL boy's team.

Both team are excellent though - great fits and great balance - you guys did a heck of a job

TimmayTimes team advances
LAKESHOW
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#8 » by pelifan » Sat May 21, 2016 8:32 pm

Ginobili is maybe my favorite 2 guard to ever play so I'd like to say he would play kobe even but he won't. I really like the Bosh Gasol frontcourt much better than 2013 Blake and Al Horford. That's where the biggest difference is for me. Timmay has a monster bench but ATL boy has a pretty smart bench. It's really close for me, closer than I thought it would be, but I'm going ATL. Dont think the rest of the team outplays the other team to the degree that ATLs two main scoring options (Kobe and Bosh) play to. Plus I think playoff games are mainly won in the halfcourt.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by ATL Boy » Sat May 21, 2016 9:46 pm

Halftime: time to break out my secret weapon.

I stole this from the Tune Squad's dressing room when nobody was looking.

Back to business. Timmaytime has a wonderful offensive team, but I feel that we're good enough across the board defensively to slow down that offense. Our own Conley and Bosh PnR and PnP on offense doesn't seem like it would be stopped either.

Any-who, good luck in the second half Timmaytime.

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
DK-All Day
General Manager
And1: 8,327

Post#10 » by DK-All Day » Sun May 22, 2016 3:01 pm

I think Timmaytime has enough defensive weapons to contain Kobe and when that happens I don't see how ATL Boy can keep up with Timmaytime on offense.

Timmaytime in 6
Handsome.
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Hawk Eye » Sun May 22, 2016 5:12 pm

Both players did a hell of a job constructing their teams. It pains me to vote against a fellow hawks fan but I think I have to go with Timmaytime in this matchup. I tend to favor more towards offensive teams (so long as there aren't any walking turnstyles on defense) and i think Timmay has the advantage here. Nash has the pieces to orcherstrate an elite GOAT level offense. This series would be close but ultimately I think Timmay wins it in 6 or 7.

Vote: TimmayTime

Looks like the Atlanta Sports Heartbreaks comes through once again :(
DroppinDimes
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#12 » by DroppinDimes » Sun May 22, 2016 8:17 pm

2 very good teams. All the votes are tough but I feel like ATL Boy would edge Timmaytime in this matchup.

My vote is for ATL Boy
DocRI
Starter
And1: 762

Post#13 » by DocRI » Sun May 22, 2016 9:17 pm

INSANELY tough match up! Kudos to both of you! As I mentioned in another thread, I'm traveling and have to make this quicker than I'd normally like (no disrespect intended!).

This choice is the definition of splitting hairs. Kobe, Conley, Bosh, Gasol, Nash, Manu, Blake, Horford ... It's the dream stuff this game was invented to create!

So here's the hair I chose to split - team defense. I feel ATL Boy has a team who, led by Kobe (who never gets enough credit as a defender, IMHO) with Battier and Ariza, can disrupt what his opponent wants to do more than vice versa.

I'm sorry, Timmay; I don't think this ever should have been a second round match up.

My vote: ATL Boy

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Hawk Eye » Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 pm

Wow this series is all tied up at 4-4! Congrats to you both! So whoever recieves the next vote will advance.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by ATL Boy » Sun May 22, 2016 9:52 pm

PMOTT3 wrote:Wow this series is all tied up at 4-4! Congrats to you both! So whoever recieves the next vote will advance.

pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#16 » by pelifan » Sun May 22, 2016 10:43 pm

We need to get Chuck in here to decide these matchups.
Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Timmaytime » Sun May 22, 2016 11:12 pm

ATL Boy wrote:
PMOTT3 wrote:Wow this series is all tied up at 4-4! Congrats to you both! So whoever recieves the next vote will advance.

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,327

Post#18 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 23, 2016 3:16 pm

pelifan wrote:We need to get Chuck in here to decide these matchups.

Sorry. I am here. Don't love being the deciding vote, but you got to do what you got to do.

These are both terrific teams. As stated previously I applaud Timmay for finding a way to build an offense-first team in a FGA restricted environment. Tough to do and do well.

Edges for ATL Boy --Kobe. I love 07 Nash, but 08 Kobe is the best player in this series. And 07 Marion is a terrific defender, but its asking a lot for him to check Kobe all game. The one plus is that the Manu he chose was still a good defender as well. Size-- Gasol, Bosh, Brown, but also large wings in Battier, Ariza, and Kobe. And with that size comes a pretty good defensive edge with Conley also playing a part. If they can get this game into a half-court affair they will win this series.

Edges for Timmay -- offense, offense, offense. We are talking peak Nash here with near ideal pieces around him. He's with his running mate the Matrix, with Blake Griffin playing the Amare role. Except how he also has Al Horford who provides scoring but without sacrificing defense and of course we have perhaps peak Manu sharing some of the playmaking and giving him yet another shooter and weapon. Then Thompson goes and gets the ball back a bunch, Miller is another shooter, and Bledsoe another guy to get out and run with him.

To me this series would be about who could control the tempo. Both coaches are masters in this area so no real edge there. But I think Nash/Manu are going to be able to keep the tempo moving enough especially since ATL Boy doesn't have great offensive rebounders keeping them from getting out. And while Bosh/Gasol is a great frontcourt--neither guy is really a post threat that you could go to to slow the game down. And I can see Kobe getting caught up in trying to outscore Timmay's team particularly with the relative ease I expect him to be able to score.

Timmay in a tough 7 games.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by ATL Boy » Mon May 23, 2016 3:29 pm

Good game Timmaytime. Good luck the rest of the way.

Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Timmaytime » Mon May 23, 2016 4:01 pm

Wow, what a series

I actually had ATL Boy's team ranked #1 overall so I guess you could say I'm pleasantly surprised that i made it out of this alive, absolutely fantastic team man.

I completely agree with whoever said this felt like more than a second round matchup...

Return to Trades and Transactions Games