Fantasy Auction Game R1: Fadeaway_J vs MadNESS

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Fantasy Auction Game R1: Fadeaway_J vs MadNESS 

Post#1 » by Hawk Eye » Fri Dec 2, 2016 5:10 pm

Here is a quick list of what you need in your writeup.

1. Specific years for each player on your team
2. Rotations and minutes for each player
3. Reasoning as to why your team will win and/or why people should vote for you.

Do NOT vote in this thread until both players have submitted their writeups.

**First to 5 votes advances**
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,784

Re: Fantasy Auction Game R1: Fadeaway_J vs MadNESS 

Post#2 » by Fadeaway_J » Fri Dec 2, 2016 6:29 pm

Starters
C: Hakeem Olajuwon (1993-94)
Spoiler:
27.3 ppg, 11.9 rpg, 3.6 apg, 1.6 spg, 3.7 bpg, .528 FG%, .421 3P%, .716 FT%, .565 TS%, 25.3 PER
- NBA Champion
- NBA MVP
- NBA Finals MVP
- NBA All-Star
- All-NBA First Team
- All-Defensive First Second Team
- Defensive Player of the Year

PF: Chris Bosh (2015-16)
Spoiler:
19.1 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 2.4 apg, 0.7 spg, 0.6 bpg, .467 FG%, .365 3P%, .795 FT%, 81 3P, .571 TS%, 20.2 PER
- NBA All-Star

SF: Paul George (2013-14)
Spoiler:
21.7 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 3.5 apg, 1.9 spg, 0.3 bpg, .424 FG%, .364 3P%, .864 FT%, 182 3P, .555 TS%, 20.1 PER
- NBA All-Star
- All-NBA Third Team
- All-Defensive First Team

SG: Dwyane Wade (2008-09)
Spoiler:
30.2 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 7.5 apg, .491 FG%, .317 3P%, .765 FT%, 2.2 spg, 1.3 bpg, 88 3P, .574 TS%, 30.4 PER
- Led the NBA in scoring
- NBA All-Star
- All-NBA First Team
- All-Defensive Second Team

PG: Kyle Lowry (2015-16)
Spoiler:
21.2 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 6.4 apg, 2.1 spg, 0.4 bpg, .427 FG%, .388 3P%, .811 FT%, 212 3P, .578 TS%, 22.2 PER
- NBA All-Star
- All-NBA Third Team

Bench
C: Bob Lanier (1973-74)
Spoiler:
22.5 ppg, 13.3 rpg, 4.2 apg, 1.4 spg, 3.0 bpg, .504 FG%, .797 FT%, 548 TS%, 23.9 PER
- NBA All-Star

F: Bobby Jones (1977-78)
Spoiler:
14.5 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 3.4 apg, 1.8 spg, 1.7 bpg, .578 FG%, .751 FT%, .616 TS%, 19.8 PER
- Led the NBA in FG%
- NBA All-Star
- All-Defensive First Team

G: Andre Iguodala (2011-12)
Spoiler:
12.4 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 5.5 apg, 1.7 spg, 0.5 bpg, .454 FG%, .394 3P%, .617 FT%, .537 TS%, 17.6 PER
- NBA All-Star

Rotations
C - Olajuwon (36), Lanier (12)
PF - Bosh (32), Jones (14), Olajuwon (2)
SF - George (36), Jones (6), Iguodala (6)
SG - Wade (26), Iguodala (22)
PG - Lowry (36), Wade (12)

Strategy
Offensively we will attack from a number of angles. To start with, we feel confident that peak Hakeem and Wade can comfortably win their primary matchups against Dwight and Manu respectively. Dwight is a tremendous team defender and solid in the post, but Hakeem is a different animal to anything he's ever faced. This is a guy who destroyed David Robinson. As for Manu, again he's more of a team defender than someone you'd deploy to try and stop an explosive scorer like Wade. We believe we can get plenty of mileage out of straight post-ups for Hakeem and isolations for Wade, especially with good spacing being provided by Lowry, George, and Bosh who combined for 6.6 3-pointers per game on over 37% shooting in the chosen years.

We also like our chances of exploiting our matchups at PF and PG. Ness is giving most of his PF minutes to Shawn Marion, who was an excellent and versatile defender, but he's only 6'7" going up against a 6'11" PF in Bosh. Matrix used to get abused by Lamar Odom in the post (Lamar averaged 19 and 12 over those 2 playoff series against Phoenix) and Bosh is bigger and a more potent scorer than he was. Bowen is similarly undersized, and Bosh will be able to go to his deadly face-up game against Wallace and draw him out of his comfort zone in the paint. There really isn't a great matchup for Bosh here.

As for Lowry vs. Nash, while Nash is obviously the better offensive player in a vacuum, it's worth noting that Lowry as an overall player was statistically really close to Nash in the chosen seasons, and by some advanced stats even outperformed him (http://bkref.com/tiny/FiNi1). More importantly, Nash has nowhere to hide defensively against this team. Lowry rang up 21.2 ppg on .578% TS and will have very little resistance up against 30 minutes of Nash. He'll be able to get by him easily one-on-one, and we can also run some pick-and-pop action with Bosh to force Nash to chase Lowry around screens and wear him down.

Defensively, our main fear is T-Mac, but fortunately we have some excellent options to throw at him. George is the primary guy here, and at 6'9" 220 he's one of the few guys with the length and athleticism to bother peak T-Mac. George his also a capable scorer in his own right, and will be even more dangerous outside the confines of Indiana's mediocre offensive system, so T-Mac will be forced to expend more energy than he'd like at the defensive end. We can also bring in Jones and Iguodala off the bench to have a crack at T-Mac. Basically he'll have an elite perimeter defender with length and quickness guarding him at all times. Compare that to peak Wade who only really has to worry about maybe 20 minutes against Bowen, and we feel we come out on top there.

Hakeem shouldn't have much difficulty containing Dwight's limited post game, and he has the lateral quickness to handle pick-and-rolls as well, so we're not expecting Dwight to have a big offensive series. Lowry is a bulldog defender whose physical style will definitely make Nash work. Bosh is one of the few pure PFs who is quick enough to keep up with Marion for the most part, and Jones will be even more comfortable in that kind of matchup. Really we have elite defenders at every position, and when limited players like Bowen and Wallace are in the game, guys like Hakeem, Wade, George, Iguodala, Jones, and Lowry will be able to help aggressively and generate missed shots and turnovers, even more so with the rim protection provided by Hakeem and Lanier.

Tl:dr version: We have the perfect defenders to throw at Ness's only really dangerous scorer (T-Mac), a clear advantage in the post, top-notch rim protection, a PG who can exploit Nash's weak defense, and strong high-volume 3-point shooting surrounding peak Wade and Hakeem. Put it all together and we think it's enough to take this one.

Good luck Ness.
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,691

Post#3 » by MadNESS » Sat Dec 3, 2016 6:15 am

Rotations:

PG: Steve Nash (30) / Chauncey Billups (18)
SG: Manu Ginobili (36) / Tracy McGrady (12)
SF: Tracy McGrady (24) / Bruce Bowen (24)
PF: Shawn Marion (36) / Ben Wallace (6) / Bruce Bowen (6)
Cc: Dwight Howard (32) / Ben Wallace (16)

Starters:

PG: Steve Nash (2004-2005)
SG: Manu Ginobili (2007-2008)
SF: Tracy McGrady (2002-2003)
PF: Shawn Marion (2005-2006)
C: Dwight Howard (2008-2009)

Bench:

G: Chauncey Billups (2005-2006)
F: Bruce Bowen (2002-2003)
C: Ben Wallace (2002-2003)

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

WRITE UP:

Offensively - We have elite spacing in our starting 5 with Nash, Manu and Tmac. All three will space the for Dwight. Marion is the perfect do all PF with Dwight. Basically, a lot of pick and rolls, pick and pops, high pace offense with a prime Dwight running the floor. Everyone can create their own shot. Ball movement is key here. These guys can swing it.

Defensively - We have above average defenders in Manu, Tmac and Marion, and elite defenders in Dwight, Billups, Bowen, and Ben Wallace. Our only weakness at defense is Nash. We feel our team defense can be elite level with multiple players able to guard multiple positions.

Overall - We feel we made on of the strongest teams in this league. One with great scoring, great defense, great passing, great spacing, great ball movement, etc. There are no holes. There are no outliners. Our players fit together and we hope the voters see that, we don't have 5 all stars starting that do not fit together.

Match ups for this round - We believe with Dwight AND Wallace that we can neutralize Hakeem. We also feel with Manu and Bowen we can neutralize Wade as well. We like prime Nash vs. any form of Lowry, and we really like Tmac up against PG. I think people really overlook how good Tmac was in his peak. Un-guardable. I like our changes especially when our shut down bench comes in. Vote for NESS.
LAKESHOW
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Post#4 » by eminence » Sat Dec 3, 2016 11:30 am

I am confused by the pick of '16 Bosh... And Billups is a competent defender, not elite.

Overall I'm going to give my vote to: Fadeaway_J

I don't like that it sounds like MadNESS isn't funneling his offense through Nash, and is trying to go with a more balanced approach. Wade/Dream as a star pair is as capable of star duo as you can have, and the fit around them is dang good. The '16 Bosh almost threw me off, but overall I like the Wade/Dream pair too much.
I bought a boat.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat Dec 3, 2016 11:44 am

What's wrong with 2016 Bosh?
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,740

Post#6 » by eminence » Sat Dec 3, 2016 12:01 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:What's wrong with 2016 Bosh?

Ehh, it's not terrible, I just think he has had years that were clearly better and without the health concerns (I'd probably go with '08 as his peak).
I bought a boat.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat Dec 3, 2016 12:07 pm

eminence wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:What's wrong with 2016 Bosh?

Ehh, it's not terrible, I just think he has had years that were clearly better and without the health concerns (I'd probably go with '08 as his peak).

OK. I wanted the 3-point shooting threat, and he didn't really develop that aspect of his game until after LeBron left. He was still excellent in 2015-16 before the blood clot issue resurfaced.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,053

Post#8 » by Laimbeer » Sat Dec 3, 2016 1:15 pm

I'd agree 2016 Bosh is a head scratcher. But Ness has mediocre offence at the four anyway. Fadeaway has an advantage in Dream and Wade. TMac and Nash as the main guys don't do it for me. Homer alert - peak Lanier is very underrated.

Vote: Fadeaway
BdeRegt
Lead Assistant
And1: 724

Post#9 » by BdeRegt » Sat Dec 3, 2016 3:41 pm

Vote: MadNESS

I don't think 2016 Bosh will be able to punish Marion. This Bosh might have shot 3s but I feel didn't have the same level of post game that would be effective against Marion. Dwight/Wallace should be very effective in containing Hakeem as they both are fast and strong enough. On the offensive end, I actually think Howard will be able to get some offensive boards and do ok but Hakeem will stop him as well. Ultimately, I don't think this series will be decided in the post. I think Nash leading MadNESS will be enough to get his team the win.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,220

Post#10 » by Statlanta » Sat Dec 3, 2016 4:36 pm

I think Manu and T-Mac is a great core to tackle Wade and George. I also think Nash should win his matchup over Lowry. What gives me pause is Dwight and Wallace going against Hakeem and Lanier. I feel Hakeem will get to impact the game too much with his defense on Dwight and Wallace forcing them into turnovers. I also think Lanier would provide scoring to bridge the scoring gap amongst the other positions.

Vote: Fadeaway_J.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Hawk Eye » Sat Dec 3, 2016 7:45 pm

Again, two very good teams. Kudos to both squads.

I'm a bit puzzled by some of the choices in years for both teams. 16' Bosh (as has been mentioned already) and not using 05' Manu really stick out.

I think Dwight is going to get a heavy dose of everything he wishes he could do in reality by Hakeem in this matchup. Dream will come at him with up-and-unders, pumpfake after pumpfake, beautiful footwork, you name it. However, having both Dwight and Ben to throw at Dream could make things tough at times.

I think Ness has the most athletic team overall in this game and Nash orchestrating the offense with Marion/TMac on the wings and Dwight/Ben down low should be super fun.

Honestly, I love both of these teams a lot but for me it comes down to NESS lacking in top-end talent which stands out more so than usual with all of these ridiculously stacked teams. Ness's best peak season is probably 03' TMac and I have 09' Wade and 94' Hakeem well above that in terms of peaks.

Vote: Fadeaway_J
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat Dec 3, 2016 7:56 pm

Man, the preoccupation with a non-peak version of my fifth best player is getting a little weird. :lol: In any case I've already explained why I used that version so there's no need to keep being baffled about it.
BdeRegt
Lead Assistant
And1: 724

Post#13 » by BdeRegt » Sat Dec 3, 2016 8:06 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:Man, the preoccupation with a non-peak version of my fifth best player is getting a little weird. :lol: In any case I've already explained why I used that version so there's no need to keep being baffled about it.

In fairness, you write that your strategy is to heavily utilize Bosh to exploit Marion at PF and if you had chosen his peak, I'd say Bosh is better than George or Lowry.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by Fadeaway_J » Sat Dec 3, 2016 8:11 pm

BdeRegt wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:Man, the preoccupation with a non-peak version of my fifth best player is getting a little weird. :lol: In any case I've already explained why I used that version so there's no need to keep being baffled about it.

In fairness, you write that your strategy is to heavily utilize Bosh to exploit Marion at PF and if you had chosen his peak, I'd say Bosh is better than George or Lowry.

That's true, but only because Marion couldn't even handle Lamar freaking Odom in the post, let alone Bosh. It's not like Bosh suddenly forgot how to post up in 2015-16, especially against a much smaller player. Anyway, the primary reason I drafted Bosh was to space the floor for Hakeem and Wade which I think this version does better. Hakeem and Lanier can handle the back-to-the-basket stuff. 8-)
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#15 » by Snakebites » Sat Dec 3, 2016 8:45 pm

I really like Nash and TMAC together, and think they've got solid supporting pieces around that offense for it to be pretty impressive indeed.

Not in love with that defense since their (by far) highest impact defensive player is going to have his hands full dealing with Hakeem- a task I'm not sure he's equal to.

Fadeway's team just seems a little more balanced overall.

Vote Fadeaway.
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Hawk Eye » Sat Dec 3, 2016 8:59 pm

Fadeaway_J advances to the next round with 5 votes

Return to Trades and Transactions Games