Game Ideas/Thinktank

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,691

Re: Game Ideas/Thinktank 

Post#621 » by MadNESS » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:38 pm

Biz Gilwalker wrote:I want to try something way off the wall. We have a list of all 450 players in the NBA, and randomize the thirty teams completely. Some teams will be better, some will be worse, some will be really imbalanced, some will have cap space, others won't. I'm sure it would be really weird but I think it has a chance to be more exciting than a fantasy draft. We all do rankings based on what each team starts with, and what they end up with after two years of trading.

I think this has potential.

Put all 450 names in a randomizer, run it ten times.
Take the first 14 names and that's a team. Take the next 14 names and that's a team. And so on. Regardless of how the teams play out, that's how we take them. Then, randomize the team to GM as well. No one gets a pick. It would all be random.

This way we could also only have 26 or 28 teams to ensure we have active posters.

I would be cool with this just because its something new. The same old GMAT is getting to boring and to easy IMO.

It's worth a shot, and you always know I'm down to help Biz.
LAKESHOW
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#622 » by HornetJail » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:47 pm

MadNESS wrote:
Biz Gilwalker wrote:I want to try something way off the wall. We have a list of all 450 players in the NBA, and randomize the thirty teams completely. Some teams will be better, some will be worse, some will be really imbalanced, some will have cap space, others won't. I'm sure it would be really weird but I think it has a chance to be more exciting than a fantasy draft. We all do rankings based on what each team starts with, and what they end up with after two years of trading.

Take the first 14 names and that's a team. Take the next 14 names and that's a team. And so on. Regardless of how the teams play out, that's how we take them. Then, randomize the team to GM as well. No one gets a pick. It would all be random.

This way we could also only have 26 or 28 teams to ensure we have active posters.

I would be cool with this just because its something new. The same old GMAT is getting to boring and to easy IMO.

Cool. I'd be happy to get the game started, but I definitely want at least two maybe three other COMMITTED players to help with the day-to-day stuff like approving trades- making sure people don't make illegal signings, etc. I barely have time during the week anymore and it's only going to get worse come exam time. I'll make a list of players this weekend, and run some randomizing tests. I may decide to shake up a rule or two as well. Maybe add an amnesty clause.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Ralnor
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 545

Post#623 » by Ralnor » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:16 pm

Biz Gilwalker wrote:
MadNESS wrote:

Cool. I'd be happy to get the game started, but I definitely want at least two maybe three other COMMITTED players to help with the day-to-day stuff like approving trades- making sure people don't make illegal signings, etc. I barely have time during the week anymore and it's only going to get worse come exam time. I'll make a list of players this weekend, and run some randomizing tests. I may decide to shake up a rule or two as well. Maybe add an amnesty clause.

I will play and I can help. I think it will be fun to switch it up.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,817

Post#624 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:23 pm

One change I would love to see in FA is the following:

A team should be allowed to both offer a contract to their own FA(especially Tier 1 guys) and agree to do a S&T if they aren't picked by hte FA. This is how it would happen IRL. If the FA comes to the team and says I want to play for team X but they don't have cap space, please work with me on a S&T or I will sign with team Y which does have cap space and you will be left with nothing.

Id go so far as to say you should be allowed to work out multiple S&T's on the same player and offer him a contract. IRL there is that window where you can negotiate that happens before any deal can be finalized. So teams would be having these types of conversations.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Texas Chuck

Post#625 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:25 pm

also, as a forum Mod I would be happy to help in any ways anyone sees fit. As a rookie I have tried to stay out of the way and let you more experienced players run things. But Im happy to help with things that only a Mod can do and to help police appropriate conduct within the games.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#626 » by HornetJail » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:51 am

I've thrown together a list of the 433 players who are currently signed through the season (basically everyone not on a ten-day contract). I'm thinking of cutting 17 minimum salary benchwarmers, and randomly selecting 26 teams, 16 players apiece.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#627 » by MadNESS » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:33 pm

Biz Gilwalker wrote:I've thrown together a list of the 433 players who are currently signed through the season (basically everyone not on a ten-day contract). I'm thinking of cutting 17 minimum salary benchwarmers, and randomly selecting 26 teams, 16 players apiece.

Perfect. 26 is a lot easier to run then 30.

Remove two teams from the East and two Teams from the west so we have even conferences.

I like your amnesty idea.

There should/could also be one of those "mini" amnesties like we do in Own a Team, since some teams might be well over 100 mil.

Then the rest would just follow the CBA like normal.

BUT, with less teams, we might want to raise the salary cap? 65 mil? And the lux? 80 mil? And the hard cap? Ideas?
LAKESHOW
Texas Chuck

Post#628 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:46 pm

agree amnesty would be a must. agree all cap numbers should go up. If you give every team 16 players, every team should be able to cut up to 3 players immediately whose salaries combined are say $5M or less, $3.5M (if you cut only 2) $1.5M if you cut one without using your main amnesty.

Also assuming every team would start with their own pick in each round, no real life pick trades would apply.
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#629 » by MadNESS » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:48 pm

I think the coolest potential part of this game could be the following;

A team with 16 point guards or 16 centers

A team with 200,000,000 million in salary

A team of 16 stars

A team with 16 players who are 15th man type of guys on most teams

This will be really cool how it all plays out.
LAKESHOW
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#630 » by HornetJail » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:22 pm

I'm thinking that I'm going to keep the salary cap at $60M, Luxury Tax at $75M, and hard cap at $100M. Keeps the Luol Dengs and Lance Stephensons of the NBA from making max contracts like they often do in these games.

A full amnesty clause will be given to every team, and a partial amnesty will be given to every team. The full amnesty works like usual, wiping the contract off the books entirely.

A partial amnesty reduces a player's contract by a TOTAL of $15M, broken down any way over the length of a contract. The player STAYS on your roster.

For example, team X wants to partial amnesty Kobe Bryant's contract ($30,453,805 / $23,500,000 / $25,000,000). Team X could subtract $15M from any one year of the deal, or they could reduce each year of the contract.
Another example: Nene ($13,000,000 / $13,000,000 / $13,000,000) could have his entire final year cut from the books, leaving another two million to cut from the remaining 2-year, $26M contract.

Two provisions with this rule: 1) The salary jump from one year to the next cannot exceed than $10M. 2) A player's salary cannot be less than $5M if he has another year on the contract. This should avoid stuff like this from happening:

Nene ($13,000,000 / $13,000,000 / $13,000,000) ==> ($11,000,000 / $0 / $13,000,000). That is not legal for obvious reasons.

This would be an acceptable partial amnesty: ($13,000,000 / $13,000,000 / $13,000,000) ==> ($6,000,000 / $5,000,000 / $13,000,000)

This would be acceptable as well: ($13,000,000 / $10,000,000 / $1,000,000).

Do people agree with this, and did I explain it well enough?
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#631 » by MadNESS » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:32 pm

This sounds good to me.

I just want to clarify.

If I have a rookie say, VO. And I use my mini on him. He would be at zero salary (since his salary is so low) for the first 3 years.

That would be leagel correct? Just like own a team.
LAKESHOW
Texas Chuck

Post#632 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:32 pm

still say the cap has to at least go up in year 2 because so many salaries go up each year and it seems wrong to use the actual real-world salaries, but to use a lower cap figure. No reason we can't use the actual cap number for year 1 and projected for year 2. Math isnt that hard......
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#633 » by HornetJail » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:33 pm

MadNESS wrote:This sounds good to me.

I just want to clarify.

If I have a rookie say, VO. And I use my mini on him. He would be at zero salary (since his salary is so low) for the first 3 years.

That would be leagel correct? Just like own a team.

If he has zero salary then he's a free agent. This part says that:
2) A player's salary cannot be less than $5M if he has another year on the contract.
You'd be better off partial amnestying a non-rookie deal.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,717

Post#634 » by Timmaytime » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:33 pm

Biz Gilwalker wrote:I'm thinking that I'm going to keep the salary cap at $60M, Luxury Tax at $75M, and hard cap at $100M. Keeps the Luol Dengs and Lance Stephensons of the NBA from making max contracts like they often do in these games.

A full amnesty clause will be given to every team, and a partial amnesty will be given to every team. The full amnesty works like usual, wiping the contract off the books entirely.

A partial amnesty reduces a player's contract by a TOTAL of $15M, broken down any way over the length of a contract. The player STAYS on your roster.

For example, team X wants to partial amnesty Kobe Bryant's contract ($30,453,805 / $23,500,000 / $25,000,000). Team X could subtract $15M from any one year of the deal, or they could reduce each year of the contract.
Another example: Nene ($13,000,000 / $13,000,000 / $13,000,000) could have his entire final year cut from the books, leaving another two million to cut from the remaining 2-year, $26M contract.

Two provisions with this rule: 1) The salary jump from one year to the next cannot exceed than $10M. 2) A player's salary cannot be less than $5M if he has another year on the contract. This should avoid stuff like this from happening:

Nene ($13,000,000 / $13,000,000 / $13,000,000) ==> ($11,000,000 / $0 / $13,000,000). That is not legal for obvious reasons.

This would be an acceptable partial amnesty: ($13,000,000 / $13,000,000 / $13,000,000) ==> ($6,000,000 / $5,000,000 / $13,000,000)

This would be acceptable as well: ($13,000,000 / $10,000,000 / $1,000,000).

Do people agree with this, and did I explain it well enough?

I like this, I understand it perfectly and I think it's needed.
ComboGuardCity wrote:If Bellinelli drops 50 and we lose I’ll eat my dog
Texas Chuck

Post#635 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:34 pm

I don't like the idea of being able to have any player have a salary below the minimum unless by reducing his salary to zero you are cutting him. The partial amnesty is already going to have the effect of turning negative value contracts attached to good players into terrific value players thus increasing the value of the asset. Allowing someone to keep a guy on the roster making $0 makes no sense.
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#636 » by HornetJail » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:35 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I don't like the idea of being able to have any player have a salary below the minimum unless by reducing his salary to zero you are cutting him. The partial amnesty is already going to have the effect of turning negative value contracts attached to good players into terrific value players thus increasing the value of the asset. Allowing someone to keep a guy on the roster making $0 makes no sense.

exactly why I included this:
2) A player's salary cannot be less than $5M if he has another year on the contract.
For clarification, zero salary makes a player a free agent.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Texas Chuck

Post#637 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:39 pm

also, instead of voting on seedings and playoffs, why don't we use some sort of simulator for the results? Yeah its a bit of work plugging in all the rosters, but I think the results would be more interesting plus we could have MVP's, all-D teams etc. Would add a little flavor to the game and we wouldn't have winners based on which GM is actively recruiting votes etc...
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#638 » by MadNESS » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:40 pm

Realistically, then, you saying only about 15 - 20 players will get mini'd.

Because no one is going to want to keep say a Nene or a Tyreke on their roster the entire game. And you can't use it on rookies. So basically it's only to reduce a star players salary. That's the only way it would make sense.
LAKESHOW
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#639 » by MadNESS » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:42 pm

I am all for this game.

Biz, TC, if we're gonna try something new, like this, let's get it 100% set up before we start, all the rules, all the formats, all the bugs fixed before we try through it out there. I love where we are headed.... Let's keep pitching "what if's" to figure everything out.
LAKESHOW
Ralnor
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 545

Post#640 » by Ralnor » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:46 pm

MadNESS wrote:I am all for this game.

Biz, TC, if we're gonna try something new, like this, let's get it 100% set up before we start, all the rules, all the formats, all the bugs fixed before we try through it out there. I love where we are headed.... Let's keep pitching "what if's" to figure everything out.

I am liking the things that you guys have came up with so far. I will be in on this.

Return to Trades and Transactions Games