Adjusted +/-

Moderator: Doctor MJ

Ozark
Pro Prospect
And1: 219

Re: Adjusted +/- 

Post#21 » by Ozark » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:27 am

Yeah, but WHY Collison? Surely you can't just intangible and hustle and b-ball iq and take charges to that sort of impact?

Should he be DPOY?
ElGee
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,202

Post#22 » by ElGee » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:51 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
Ozark wrote:Basketballvalue has been updated. Here are your top 7 players in the NBA.

Drumroll please...

1. Lebron James
2. Kevin Durant
3. Steve Nash
4. Chris Paul
5. Dirk Nowitzki
6. Dwayne Wade

and last but not least...

7. Nick Collison.

(cue the Price is Right tuba music)

Aside from the sample size issue I'm long on record saying that I don't think it makes sense to compare big minute players to small minute players in this stat simply because their coach is actively choosing when to play and when not to play small minute players based on what he sees on the floor at that point in time.

It's strange when people look for the outlier in order to discredit something without even taking the time to understand the process. It's not really hard for someone to be misrepresented with APM (yes, even with Collison's sample), but that wouldn't invalidate the entire model. And again, as is the case with all lower-minute players, your point about choosing times to be more effective always exists.

Yet people try their hardest to discredit anything new that challenges their notions. And, as I've asked before, why don't they do the same with something like eFG%? It's a measure of shooting accuracy, and Kobe was something like 7th on the Lakers...but he's not the "7th-best shooter" on LA. Guess we should never look at eFG%. :shrug:
Check out and discuss my book, now on Kindle! http://www.backpicks.com/thinking-basketball/
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,798

Post#23 » by floppymoose » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:49 pm

Ozark wrote:Yeah, but WHY Collison? Surely you can't just intangible and hustle and b-ball iq and take charges to that sort of impact?

Maybe you can. The Warriors were a bad team this season, but they beat their opponents in the minutes Vlad Radmanovic played, and he played 1700+ minutes. A lot of those were against starters. Vlad didn't do a lot in the box score, but he was sort of Collison-like in that he was just doing what he could to help the team. Lot's of screens, lots of defensive help, lots of passing, and the ability to hit the open 3.

Return to Statistical Analysis