Are type of shots/ league average data available?

Moderator: Doctor MJ

keondrunk
Junior
And1: 80

Are type of shots/ league average data available? 

Post#1 » by keondrunk » Thu Sep 5, 2013 3:00 pm

I'm trying to create a basketball strategy game and have tried finding some specific stats but could not.

Anyone know where to find:

- Type of shots taken in a game on average for the whole league(e.g. left corner 3, shot from 2 feet out, hook shot, free throws, dunks, lay-ups etc...). I know I can find specific ones for players in terms of distance shot from, but those don't specify if they were shots/dunks/lay-ups. Also I wouldn't be interested in specific players since that would be hard to compile/add up, the best would be something league wide or at least per team.
And I'd like to know the rate of these shots being taken (how many times per game, how deep into shotclock).

- The success rate of those shots would be good too.

- In addition to that I'd like information on number of passes made/ dribbles/ location of turnovers etc...

Basically I'm trying to create game events but want to use some stats for realism, not just make everything up...

e.g. " Player X sets a screen. Player Y dribbles to the right and pulls up a jumper"
"Player X steals the ball and there is a one on two, he passes the ball to Player Y, Player Y is free to dunk it"

So I'm looking for any data that could help with creating % of type of actions that would happen in the game.

Ideally I'm looking for data to recreate what we see on NBA.com game pages Play-by-play.

e.g.
Ginobili 3pt Shot: Made (3 PTS) Assist: Parker (1 AST) 08:08
[SAS 9-4]
07:51 Miller Jump Shot: Missed
Leonard Rebound (Off:0 Def:2) 07:49
Leonard Driving Layup Shot: Made (2 PTS) 07:42
[SAS 11-4]
07:21 Miller 3pt Shot: Missed
Leonard Rebound (Off:0 Def:3) 07:20
Ginobili Jump Shot: Missed 07:10
Leonard Rebound (Off:1 Def:3) 07:08
Leonard Hook Shot: Missed 07:07
07:06 Team Rebound
06:47 James Jump Shot: Missed
Duncan Rebound (Off:1 Def:1) 06:46

If there was a league wide agglomeration of the above play-by-plays that would be perfect. Anyone know any creative ways I could find a large chunk of these averages or a direct link to it?
keondrunk
Junior
And1: 80

Re: Are type of shots/ league average data available? 

Post#2 » by keondrunk » Thu Sep 5, 2013 3:44 pm

I found some neat data here:

http://www.basketballgeek.com/data/

You can find excel documents of play-by-play for specific games. It even has X and Y co-ordinates of the events!! It's only on a game-by basis but I could perhaps agglomerate these and maybe add them up somehow. It will take some work.

Return to Statistical Analysis