OT: Basketball Reference Advanced Play-by-Play Stats

Moderator: Doctor MJ

Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

OT: Basketball Reference Advanced Play-by-Play Stats 

Post#1 » by Imon » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:34 am

So how many people here are like me and like to browse basketball-reference.com once in awhile to look up interesting stats?

I did a double-take tonight and I don't think I've noticed the "Advanced Play-by-Play" statistics on player pages. Is this a new thing or was I completely missing it all along?
It shows interesting things such as "Position Estimates" which estimates what percentage of the minutes a player spends playing what position, +/- per 100 possessions, and, very interesting, it shows how many and-1 plays a player had that season.

Unfortunately the advanced play-by-play stats only goes back to the 2000-2001 season but I would have loved to know who has had the most and-1 plays in NBA history.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Re: OT: Basketball Reference Advanced Play-by-Play Stats 

Post#2 » by Winsome Gerbil » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:00 am

Shaq seems like a good bet. You could foul him, but he so strong the ball was still going up.

Unless of course you mean actually COMPLETING the and1 by hitting the FT. :lol:
lorak
Head Coach
And1: 2,231

Post#3 » by lorak » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:04 am

Imon wrote:So how many people here are like me and like to browse basketball-reference.com once in awhile to look up interesting stats?

I did a double-take tonight and I don't think I've noticed the "Advanced Play-by-Play" statistics on player pages. Is this a new thing or was I completely missing it all along?

It's new addition. It's wonderful how basketball-reference developed over the years. I wish new nba.com data base was as user friendly as basketball-reference.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#4 » by bondom34 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:17 am

Woohoo! I"m not the only nerd! I do that pretty much daily, sadly enough.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#5 » by Imon » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:30 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:Shaq seems like a good bet. You could foul him, but he so strong the ball was still going up.

Unless of course you mean actually COMPLETING the and1 by hitting the FT. :lol:

Yeah, good call. Unfortunately the stats only go back to the 2000-2001 season so we don't have early Lakers Shaq or Orlando Shaq stats but we do have most of the three-peat Shaq stats.
In the 2000-01 season Shaq had 135 and-1 opportunities. Andrea Bargnani has had 127 and-1 opportunities in 7 seasons. :lol:
Chicago76
Rookie
And1: 228

Post#6 » by Chicago76 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:54 pm

DavidStern wrote:. I wish new nba.com data base was as user friendly as basketball-reference.

Me too, although then the NBA would lose all their pretty graphics and would make it much easier to strip the data. Question for you and others who have used the new database (because I ran out of patience in about 20 minutes of messing with it): is there anything you can get on it that you can't get from b-r?

The video and some of their proprietary indices like "clutch", sure...but other than that? If I wanted to know something about the 1998 season, is there anything there that I can't get in better form at b-r?

One of the things I really wished they had was an online on-demand Netflix-like broadcast library. If I wanted to watch a random game from 1989, it would be nice to be able to pay a fee to get that kind of access. It seems like there would be a lot of great franchise branding opportunities associated with attaching historically great games to franchises. Fans of various teams could create tags for old games: most dominating performances, great playoff games, heartbreaking losses, etc.

It would be nice to watch a couple of these on demand (as a Pacers fan), for example:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/box ... 70IND.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/box ... 90IND.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/box ... 90IND.html
lorak
Head Coach
And1: 2,231

Post#7 » by lorak » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:47 am

Chicago76 wrote:
DavidStern wrote:. I wish new nba.com data base was as user friendly as basketball-reference.

Me too, although then the NBA would lose all their pretty graphics and would make it much easier to strip the data. Question for you and others who have used the new database (because I ran out of patience in about 20 minutes of messing with it): is there anything you can get on it that you can't get from b-r?

Well, basically all pre 2001 pbp based data isn't available on b-r. Besides even since 2001 I like nba.com shooting splits (no zones, like "midrange" on b-r!) more, they also have more shots types (BTW, what's the difference between "dunk" and "slam dunk"? ;)).

Return to Statistical Analysis