3-point defense

Moderator: Doctor MJ

keepsilence
Sophomore
And1: 69

3-point defense 

Post#1 » by keepsilence » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:03 pm

I think I read a few years ago in the 2010 Prospectus that team opponent 3-point % does not carry over from year to year the way other statistics such as team offensive rebounding sometimes do. Is this changing now that threes are a larger portion of the game? I'm thinking about Indiana's personnel and coaching since the beginning of last season. Statistically they have limited the number opposing attempts and held them to a very low percentage and there's no secret that is prioritized. Is this sustainable?
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Re: 3-point defense 

Post#2 » by JazzMatt13 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:52 pm

With so many +40% 3 point shooters, defending the arc is a responsibility as "meaningful" as defending the paint, meaning they are both things you must defend if you want to win.

If you leave these +40% guys/hot hands/streak shooters open, they basically are going to make it. You let them set their feet and get their shoulders straight, they are making it. You give them more than 1 second, they are going to make it. Which is also true for post up plays in paint. Were not talking every time, but it becomes a higher percentage shot, just like same spot can be different difficulty:

Wing:
-pull up 3 point shot
-on the break stop and shoot the 3
-pick and then roll to the wing for the 3pt shot
-bump off screen for hand off for 3pt
-In bound pass 3pt shot
-Clutch 3 pt shot

I think 3pt defense is a must, or else Warriors and Blazers will be going to WCF and probably win it. What I mean is, Miami beat Spurs because of a 3pt shooter, had Ray Allen not been there, no way they would have gone to game 7. Both Blazers and Warriors can win games just because they can make their threes, not to mention they got great bigs. That is another thing, when you got great bigs who can get rebounds on offense, shooting 3's is less risky because your guy can easily get the put back/rebound.

Return to Statistical Analysis