Steal efficiency in gambles?

Moderator: Doctor MJ

RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Steal efficiency in gambles? 

Post#1 » by RSCD3_ » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:43 pm

Im looking for a way to determine the amount of pts decided on average when a player gambles for a steal. Simply put if a player gambles for a steal that puts them out of position what is the benefit exactly.

Say a gambling player has 112 "gambles" 40 steals by gambling. 74 pts are scored by this action but the opposing team also scores 110 out the failed steal. This would mean (74-110)/112 so the amount of points per gamble would be -.32 pts per gamble. Also possessions would be reset after a defensive stop, rebound, or turnover like it usually is and pts wouldnt be tallied after that.

SVU or some other playing tracking systems would be able to find out what is a gamble and I think the definition would be hard to create but does anyone have any suggestions to making this stat easier to quantatize.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using RealGM Forums mobile app
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
blabla
Sophomore
And1: 76

Re: Steal efficiency in gambles? 

Post#2 » by blabla » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:10 am

It's a really good idea but unfortunately, as you said yourself, only possible with SportVU data. Besides the teams and the league I don't think anyone has access to this (unless you pay $50k or whatever)

Recovery time after a missed gamble is probably an important stat, too
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#3 » by RSCD3_ » Sun Feb 2, 2014 9:23 pm

blabla wrote:It's a really good idea but unfortunately, as you said yourself, only possible with SportVU data. Besides the teams and the league I don't think anyone has access to this (unless you pay $50k or whatever)

Yeah thanks for the response, It would be nice in my opinon because it would tell how useful steals are.

There really should be more defensive metrics it seems

Sent from my SCH-I800 using RealGM Forums mobile app
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,477

Post#4 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:38 am

blabla wrote:It's a really good idea but unfortunately, as you said yourself, only possible with SportVU data. Besides the teams and the league I don't think anyone has access to this (unless you pay $50k or whatever)

Yup. It's an extremely important stat that is very much needed. Quite literally the lack of this stat often renders the SPG stat almost entirely useless in determining impact.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!

Return to Statistical Analysis