Stat guys Duncan vs Garnett (bear with me)

Moderator: Doctor MJ

lorak
Head Coach
And1: 2,231

Re: Stat guys Duncan vs Garnett (bear with me) 

Post#61 » by lorak » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:24 pm

Chicago76 wrote: We discussed RAPM being somewhat tied to team context earlier,

Just side note, probably obvious, but I think some people don't realize it, so it has to be said: all information we discuss, no matter if it is in stats form or "eye test", is tied to team context. But stats have advantage because of method and thus are closer to objectivity.

Why does it vary in its "correctness"? Because team context and noise differ across teams. I don't have the numbers for this, and I would love to see them from someone who does, but I would imagine that the error terms for the NPI lineups of the Wolves are higher than they were for the Spurs. Why? Roster turnover was higher. If a coach needs to experiment with rosters more, he will find some counterintuitive successes and failures, ie, those that perform above and below initial expectations. A halfway decent coach will quickly discard the failures and stick with the lineups that might exceed expectations. Which player is likely to be credited most heavily with the marginal performance? The guy with the highest prior.

Garnett's noise correction factor will therefore be higher than TD's, all else equal.

Interesting. I think it's the other way around, because the more lineups, players used, the more information regression has, and thus the more accurate results. Remember when at the beginning of "+/- era" there was famous problem with Pistons lineup and it was discussed on 82games? That's the same thing here.
Chicago76
Rookie
And1: 228

Post#62 » by Chicago76 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:40 pm

lorak wrote:Interesting. I think it's the other way around, because the more lineups, players used, the more information regression has, and thus the more accurate results. Remember when at the beginning of "+/- era" there was famous problem with Pistons lineup and it was discussed on 82games? That's the same thing here.

These are actually two different things. What I'm talking about is how players changing teams may post very different RAPMs in a team with completely different players employing different styles. A +2 RAPM player might continue to be a +2 RAPM player on another team, or he might be a 0 or a +4 RAPM guy. When you introduce team changes, you introduce additional uncertainty, and when you introduce uncertainty, you introduce error. Priors will have the tendency to increase NPI to PI.

Lineup turnover is something else. The Spurs can keep a core group of 6-8 guys year over year who play the bulk of the minutes with a couple of players added between seasons. Adding fewer players year over year generally means the ratings will work well on an inter-year basis. They also generally mix their lineups quite well, so we have lot of player combinations to examine at a particular minute threshold. On an intra-year basis, this works out quite well.

The DET problem relates to the starting 5 playing so many minutes together, which introduces the issue of collinearity. FWIW, Boston from 2007/2008 - 2009/10 is probably the worst example of this. The starting 5 averaged 1100+ minutes/season and 20 mpg together on the court. Over the last 10 82-game seasons, I think there are something like 4 other teams who exceeded what BOS averaged on a min/season AND mpg basis: this year's Pacers, two of those DET teams, and a MEM team from a few years ago.

The year KG posted those awesome RAPM numbers with BOS (07/08) had both issues going on simultaneously: a massive overhaul of the C's roster (including some young guys/rookies with low priors presumably improving), and very confining player lineup rotations. KG played >50% of his min as part of the starting 5, 85% of his minutes with only one starter off the court, and roughly 98% of his time with no more than 2 bench players on the floor.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,430

Post#63 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:40 pm

colts18 wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:[
Clearly better based on what? The spreadsheet that I've been quoting from doesn't say anything like that.

Shaq had amazing RAPM numbers those years. But the reason to have him ahead of KG those years is that playoff performance was better than 04 KG. 04 KG declined int he playoffs while 98, 00-02 Shaq increased his level of play. 09-10, 13 LeBron has better RAPm numbers than KG. Plus his playoff performances were better.

Doctor MJ, how many seasons do you think that LeBron and Shaq had better than any of KG's?

I see. So what you're really asking is how I can choose Player A over Player B when Player B had a superior peak which he hit in multiple seasons. The way you phrased it made me think you were focusing on stats, but you weren't.

Well, the question is basically peak vs longevity. Does a guy's cumulative efforts surpass those who burned briefly brighter? To me the answer to that question has to be sometimes "yes", so then it's just a question of where the threshold is.

For quite a while now I've ranked Duncan ahead of Shaq on these grounds, and to me that always seemed a pretty straight forward perspective: From a franchise perspective, if you're trying to build for the long-term, you should draft Duncan ahead of Shaq. Shaq will have the superior peak, but eventually he'll cause everything to fall apart.

Now, to be honest, I'm leaning toward Shaq over Duncan for my next list at this point. The more I see his impact even when he's doing all he can to destroy team chemistry, the harder it is to favor anyone a tier down from him in impact.

Pivoting over to Garnett though: I also had Garnett ahead of Shaq on my last lists for similar reasons, and further looks at the data appear to me to show Garnett standing right in the same tier as Shaq. I'd still take Shaq over Garnett when rating the better peak, but it's not a landslide. And so when I do the overall comparison factoring in Shaq's douchebaggery I'd say Garnett's still going to win out.

As far as Garnett vs LeBron well, I noted in another thread that I rated Garnett as a Top 5 player in his 17th year. Obviously LeBron hasn't played anywhere near that much basketball yet. I expect LeBron to eventually surpass Garnett, but it hasn't happened yet.

As far as precisely how many seasons I'd rank Shaq or LeBron's best over Garnett's best, to be honest I don't really think like that. If one guy at peak is 0.1% better than the other and maintains that lead for 5 seasons, then to the extent I recognize it, that guy is getting a peak/prime advantage over the other guy, but I don't think it makes sense to add that together into a statement like "His 5th best season was better than the other guys best!" to make it seem like it's a landslide victory when we know in reality it was close the whole time.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#64 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:44 pm

Also so it's clear folks, the data I'm using in my spreadsheet is not the method that Engelmann is currently using. I'm mostly using data from Engelmann (except for the early years), but he changed things up after 2012 and I've yet to feel comfortable with what he's doing, or really anyone else.

This means that I expect I'll eventually be changing data sources and that it will include years past 2012.

As such, when people mention RAPM for 2013 & beyond, I'd appreciate them saying where they are getting their data, and while they're at it, explaining their thoughts on the data source if they feel comfortable with it.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#65 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:00 pm

Chicago76 wrote:Don't have a lot of time over the next few days, and I want to elaborate on some other things (maybe this weekend), but for now PI vs. NPI RAPM:

I think another possible issue with the NPI vs. PI discrepancy is roster turnover. We discussed RAPM being somewhat tied to team context earlier, and I don't see how anyone could really argue that it isn't. All else equal, we should expect to see more RAPM fluctuation year over year for players changing teams (or staying on a team with major roster changes) than a relatively stable team.

The purpose of the prior is to reduce errors (expected vs. actual net rtg) for noisy lineups. As has been mentioned previously as an example, NPI #s make it difficult to distinguish good players from bad on bad teams. Using the prior typically gives more credit to the player with the highest historical performance. This is generally the correct approach, because it reduces noise and enhances predictive power, but the degree to which it is "correct" will vary across teams.

Why does it vary in its "correctness"? Because team context and noise differ across teams. I don't have the numbers for this, and I would love to see them from someone who does, but I would imagine that the error terms for the NPI lineups of the Wolves are higher than they were for the Spurs. Why? Roster turnover was higher. If a coach needs to experiment with rosters more, he will find some counterintuitive successes and failures, ie, those that perform above and below initial expectations. A halfway decent coach will quickly discard the failures and stick with the lineups that might exceed expectations. Which player is likely to be credited most heavily with the marginal performance? The guy with the highest prior.

Garnett's noise correction factor will therefore be higher than TD's, all else equal. Standard error reduction suggests this is the correct approach, but minimizing standard errors on a team level doesn't necessarily mean beta for a particular player is more accurate. It just means that the particular beta combinations anchored to some extent by the priors provides a better estimate on a team level. Does this approach treat them equitably with respect to their true value? Hell if I know.

Well in general there's no doubt that the biggest issue with a prior is that it assumes consistency where there isn't always consistency. Hence if you know a player made a big jump in a given season the NPI is a much more meaningful data source than the PI.

I agree with you that a player is more likely to experience a jump or drop in efficacy when switching teams than when staying on the same team, and I could also agree that this means those playing with new teammates are also more likely to experience a jump or a drop - though not as likely as the new teammates.

Now as I say all this, clearly I'm not simply talking about errors in measurement but actual changes in efficacy. The latter exaggerates the former, but both remains factors.

But as all this is worth discussing and is interesting, I don't see any reason to think the debate in question hinges on it, because I don't see any indication that uncertainties due to turmoil would cause an increased error that repeatedly boosted Garnett's PI RAPM scores to cause a discrepancy with the NPI in 6 different seasons. One might argue that the sheer turmoil involved made the team more dependent on Garnett than Duncan of course, but that's another topic that I think has essentially been brought up a couple times in this thread.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#66 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:15 pm

Chicago76 wrote:
lorak wrote:Interesting. I think it's the other way around, because the more lineups, players used, the more information regression has, and thus the more accurate results. Remember when at the beginning of "+/- era" there was famous problem with Pistons lineup and it was discussed on 82games? That's the same thing here.

These are actually two different things. What I'm talking about is how players changing teams may post very different RAPMs in a team with completely different players employing different styles. A +2 RAPM player might continue to be a +2 RAPM player on another team, or he might be a 0 or a +4 RAPM guy. When you introduce team changes, you introduce additional uncertainty, and when you introduce uncertainty, you introduce error. Priors will have the tendency to increase NPI to PI.

Lineup turnover is something else. The Spurs can keep a core group of 6-8 guys year over year who play the bulk of the minutes with a couple of players added between seasons. Adding fewer players year over year generally means the ratings will work well on an inter-year basis. They also generally mix their lineups quite well, so we have lot of player combinations to examine at a particular minute threshold. On an intra-year basis, this works out quite well.

The DET problem relates to the starting 5 playing so many minutes together, which introduces the issue of collinearity. FWIW, Boston from 2007/2008 - 2009/10 is probably the worst example of this. The starting 5 averaged 1100+ minutes/season and 20 mpg together on the court. Over the last 10 82-game seasons, I think there are something like 4 other teams who exceeded what BOS averaged on a min/season AND mpg basis: this year's Pacers, two of those DET teams, and a MEM team from a few years ago.

They are two separate things, but I'd say lorak is correct that the context driving your dilemma which increases potential for error also drives the other dilemma and decreases potential for error. Adding new blood adds noise from a prior perspective and from a coaching chaos perspective but it also decreases multicollinearity issues. That's not to say it all cancels out of course, but it's an interesting thing.

Chicago76 wrote:The year KG posted those awesome RAPM numbers with BOS (07/08) had both issues going on simultaneously: a massive overhaul of the C's roster (including some young guys/rookies with low priors presumably improving), and very confining player lineup rotations. KG played >50% of his min as part of the starting 5, 85% of his minutes with only one starter off the court, and roughly 98% of his time with no more than 2 bench players on the floor.

It's a reasonable thing to point out but I don't have much reason for it to cause me doubts.

In the case of Boston '08, we're talking about perhaps the single greatest turnaround in NBA history with an edge based primarily on defensive improvement. It hardly seems odd then that the team's universally agreed upon defensive star would look damn good, and it's not like he's the only one who looks good. Pierce gets his peak RAPM that year too.

Actually I think you can make a pretty reasonable case that Garnett gets underrated by RAPM in '08 for the same reasons we're already talking about: A jump in efficacy typically means a prior will underrate you. Worth noting as we discuss this that Garnett's '08 season doesn't give RAPM numbers that set a new bar for his career by any stretch and that his defensive PI RAPM actually goes up in '09 further indicating an unfavorable prior effect from '07 to '08.

sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,534

Post#67 » by sp6r=underrated » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:10 pm

I'm curious if any of the strong RAPM crowd has a response for this.

sp6r=underrated wrote:
When I said this calls for revisionism I am primarily referring to posters on this message board rather than the statisticians who make these stats. The later do understand the importance of point differential but IMO many posters who strongly advocate for RAPM downplay team point differential.

Consider the following clubs

1985 Lakers
1987 Lakers
1989 Pistons
1990 Pistons
1994 Rockets
1995 Rockets
2005 Spurs
2007 Spurs
2008 Celtics
2012 Heat
2013 Heat

The Bad Boys Pistons and mid 00s Spurs are routinely disparaged as opportunistic champions who never really reached greatness. By contrast the Showtime lakers, recent Heat and even to a lesser degree 95 Rockets are regarded as truly great teams:

Here are there RS SRS and RS+PS SRS

1985 LAL: 6.48, 7.64
1987 LAL: 8.32, 9.07
1989 DET: 6.24, 7.08
1990 DET: 5.41, 6.18
1994 HOU: 4.19, 4.91
1995 HOU: 2.32, 3.61
2005 SAS: 7.84, 7.86
2007 SAS: 8.35, 8.22
2008 BOS: 9.31, 8.87
2012 MIA: 5.72, 6.82
2013 MIA: 7.03, 7.35

Ranked by RS SRS
2008 BOS: 9.31
2007 SAS: 8.35
1987 LAL: 8.32
2005 SAS: 7.84
2013 MIA: 7.03
1985 LAL: 6.48
1989 DET: 6.24
2012 MIA: 5.72
1990 DET: 5.41
1994 HOU: 4.19
1995 HOU: 2.32

Ranked by RS+PS
1987 LAL: 9.07
2008 BOS: 8.87
2007 SAS: 8.22
2005 SAS: 7.86
1985 LAL: 7.64
2013 MIA: 7.35
1989 DET: 7.08
2012 MIA: 6.82
1990 DET: 6.18
1994 HOU: 4.91
1995 HOU: 3.61

Let’s look at this list carefully.

How can the mid 90s Rockets not be regarded as maybe the worse NBA champion post 1980 if you have a strong belief in point differential?

They’re a total outlier from a point differential perspective. In comparison to these clubs. Only the 88 lakers and 06 Heat have similar SRS.

How can the best single season Showtime lakers clubs be regarded as a massive step up from the best mid 00s Spurs from a point differential perspective?

They are right next to each other.

How can the Heat be considered near GOAT squad from a point differential perspective?

The current Heat do not come close to the top of the list and are far closer to teams such as the Bad Boy Pistons than Jordan’s Bulls.

It is really hard for me to understand how RAPM could hold such influence on people while also believing things such as Showtime Lakers >>> mid 00s Spurs, 95 Rockets great teams, Heat near-GOAT level and other things I haven't touched here. Yet I routinely read posts were that is the case. So no I don’t think team point differential has had nearly the impact on team evaluations that RAPM has on individual evaluations. Well at least in this community.

That is shocking because it is easier to evaluate a team statistically than it is to evaluate an individual statistically. If people really are heavily influenced in RAPM to such a degree that it can cause them to revisit debates that were settled in their mind such as Stockton-Malone** they should be even more influenced by statistical analysis of team point differential.

So far that hasn't really occurred.

.Note: my post-season SRS is a back of the envelope calculation that weighs HCA at 3 points. It doesn’t perfectly match b-r’s results but it is a fair approximation.

** When I say settled debates I am explicitly NOT referring to TD-KG. The great posts by drza, one of the best posters on this board, along with others have really settled that TD only developed this clear margin in the public eye due to the disastrous management of Minnesota.

*** One last totally stray thought, when I say Minnesota had terrible management I am not including Flip. Flip is actually a pretty good coach and is unjustly maligned despite some clear flaws.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#68 » by sp6r=underrated » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:34 pm

I think I've mentioned before in this thread but I want to be clear about my view of RAPM. The plus/minus tree of stats has a lot of value and you should incorporate it in your analysis. You would be foolish not to.

The strong RAPM premise goes beyond incorporating +/- stats into your analysis. The strong RAPM hypothesis is the belief that given a sufficient sample size you can eliminate or reduce the box score to a near footnote. That RAPM is an excellent player ranking tool that can serve as almost the entirety of your statistical analysis. I believe many posters hold it without either understanding that they hold it or being explicit about their view.

My main intention in this thread has been to describe what I believe are the logical conclusions of the strong hypothesis. This includes among other things ranking teams primarily by point differential, re-evaluating figures such as Robinson and Hakeem and elevating KG to the GOAT conversation. I do think that all of those things are the logical endpoints once you accept the strong RAPM hypothesis.

Nonetheless, I do not accept what I would call the strong RAPM hypothesis. This post may be a waste but sometimes it is necessary to be explicit in your views and in your intentions.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#69 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:01 am

sp6r I think you're doing great work in this thread.

You've also made clear that you yourself are not part of the "strong RAPM" contingent, but haven't elaborated as to why presumably because you weren't asked. So, why u no strong RAPM?

To your other post, I can respond since you specifically ask. When I read it before I didn't respond because it seemed like it didn't relate to me. Key points though:

-I always considered it a given that the Houston title teams were weak and lucky.

-I will say though that very clearly in '95 this was a tale of two different teams. Their play early in the year simply wasn't the same as what it was later on. And this is part of the issue with a "strong SRS" perspective.

-The GOAT Heat talk really came about with that massive streak last year. Had the team utterly dominated in a similar manner through the playoffs I would have seen them as a GOAT candidate. As is, they've not shown enough to be in that stature.

-I will though admit to writing some posts talking about how great the "attack" of their offense is, meaning how effective they are before you factor in offensive rebounding. To me that's a useful thing to bring up even though as you say, if it's not leading to a GOAT MOV then clearly one cannot simply dismiss weaknesses as strategic choices.

-In general there's a tendency to look at '80s era Lakers & Celtics as super-teams compared to modern teams despite the fact that SRS doesn't give us that same indication. I think you're quite right that SRS basically tells us that people were misguided in their "Golden Era"-tinted glasses.

-If other universes exist where things ran slightly differently it seems pretty clear cut that the Spurs would 3-peat from '05 to '07 in a fair amount of them. Take Shaq out of the equation due to him becoming a superhero in other universes and you have a Spur team that is typically the best team in the league from '99 to '07 as opposed to being a borderline case at best in many years. In this sense, people probably do underrate the Spurs.

-I'll admit though that on my informal team ranking list such that it is, I'd have the best of the '80s Lakers and Celtics ahead of the best of the '00s Spurs. It's possible that I shouldn't. I'd have to really analyze it to make a formal ranking that I'd feel comfortable standing behind.

Finally to the broad point about RAPM being essentially an SRS for players (at best), and hence if you use one you have strong confidence in the former you should have it in the latter: Not necessarily.

You've certainly got a point, and I would question anyone who sees things totally differently, but a player coasting when he plays is not necessarily the same mechanism by which a team coasts. To wit: When a team blows its opponent out it coasts most effectively by taking the stars out. In doing so, if we can assume that the back ups are doing their best to keep their jobs in this chance to shine, then this would make RAPM all the more effective of a metric even as SRS is being corrupted.

In the end though I do try to consider the possibility of such coasting in both my use of RAPM and SRS on a case-by-case basis.

lorak
Head Coach
And1: 2,231

Post#70 » by lorak » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:54 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
-I always considered it a given that the Houston title teams were weak and lucky.

True. I really wonder who are people sp6r=underrated mentioned as "many posters who strongly advocate for RAPM downplay team point differential"? It seems like he is rather fighting with his own believes than actual opinions. But hey, maybe I'm wrong and he would name such posters and will give examples when they used RAPM and ignored SRS?
mysticbb
Banned User
And1: 713

Post#71 » by mysticbb » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:26 am

blabla wrote:Well, first of all the standard errors in RAPM aren't so small that we can say Garnett was better than Duncan with absolute certainty. I would say that Garnett was probably the better player, on average, since 2000 but there's a good chance Duncan was better than Garnett in some (~33%?) of those years. So to me, it's almost a wash

What exactly do you mean with "standard errors in RAPM"?
ElGee
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,202

Post#72 » by ElGee » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:54 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:I think I've mentioned before in this thread but I want to be clear about my view of RAPM. The plus/minus tree of stats has a lot of value and you should incorporate it in your analysis. You would be foolish not to.

The strong RAPM premise goes beyond incorporating +/- stats into your analysis. The strong RAPM hypothesis is the belief that given a sufficient sample size you can eliminate or reduce the box score to a near footnote. That RAPM is an excellent player ranking tool that can serve as almost the entirety of your statistical analysis. I believe many posters hold it without either understanding that they hold it or being explicit about their view.

My main intention in this thread has been to describe what I believe are the logical conclusions of the strong hypothesis. This includes among other things ranking teams primarily by point differential, re-evaluating figures such as Robinson and Hakeem and elevating KG to the GOAT conversation. I do think that all of those things are the logical endpoints once you accept the strong RAPM hypothesis.

Nonetheless, I do not accept what I would call the strong RAPM hypothesis. This post may be a waste but sometimes it is necessary to be explicit in your views and in your intentions.

Great post. I like your line of thinking in this thread regarding RAPM and SRS. I'm more in the "strong SRS" camp, if anything, but I want to elaborate on how I see these stats in relation to something I said to Doc earlier about the RAPM numbers, and echo something I've said before.

SRS is dependent upon the opponent. It is an average output of performance against a distribution of opponents. It is not perfectly stable. Furthermore, we can really think of SRS as MOV (points), with a simple adjustment for schedule strength. This mean that a 7 SRS team, when playing a 0 SRS team, doesn't truly have a +7 expected point value, because that team may not be 7 points better when playing only that team. If Dallas and Golden State existed a 2-team league in 2007, the results of their 8 games would be:

GSW +11
Dal - 11

But for that season, against the entire distributions of their schedules, Dallas was +7 and GSW 0. This simply means that not all 7 SRS teams will perform the same against the same SRS-quality opponents. Another team that went +7 against the league may be +10 against GSW...the generated advantage in basketball is matchup dependent. The more consistent a team is in their application of their strengths, the less matchup-specific variability we will see in their performance.

The ramifications of this at a team level lead us to the cousin of individual player portability (scaling? resilience? I haven't named this yet...)Teams like Hakeem's Rockets as very resilient. They don't do enough good stuff to blast weak teams, but good teams can't stop their stuff (offensively and defensively). This is how they end up with an distribution in 1994 like the following:

vs. < 0 SRS teams: (34g) 2 SRS
vs. > 0 SRS teams: (48g) 6 SRS

This trend continued in the playoffs, where they met "good" teams and posted a 6.8 SRS.

Now take the 88 Lakers. They look like this:

vs. < 0 SRS teams: (46g) 5.3 SRS
vs. > 0 SRS teams: (36g) 4.2 SRS

And if you make the split 1 SRS, they were +4.8 against both teams above and below the line (39/43 games, respectively). Right on cue, they were +5 SRS against 3 positive SRS playoff opponents. They would be an example of a team that scales almost perfectly (linearly); If the opponent has weaknesses, LA exploits them, but when those weaknesses go away, LA can't exploit them as much. It's the complete opposite opponent interaction that Houston has. Put another way:

LA's MOV vs. bad teams = +9.7
Hou's MOV vs. bad teams = +7.8

LA's MOV vs. good teams = +1.6 (3.1 SOS)
Hou' MOV vs. good teams = +2.2 (4.2 SOS)

So the Lakers are better by SRS, but a lot of that is a result of the presence of non-playoff teams. I've had similar posts about league-total SRS figures by removing the expansions teams from everyone's schedule -- usually those teams are so inept that many of the top teams will pick up a point or 2 in SRS (not MOV, SRS), by running a practice line against them.

What does this all mean ITO SRS/RAPM? It means that I do subscribe to points being the primary reflector of quality in basketball (i.e. games end at pseudo-random times, but possession-efficiency tells you everything), and that belief holds true for both individuals and teams. But when you look at a scoreboard, you have to be careful with treating the numbers as apples to apples, when that isn't always the case.

So while I hold SRS as a ball parking metric (it's giving me a range, it's up to me to curve the quality of the team), I look at the +/- family the same way. That's why I said when I look at Doc's points numbers, I wouldn't create a tier based on a 1.3 ppt differential necessarily, without looking at other factors. Now, whether that's correct or not...well, I'm open to feedback. I'm not just concerned about a little "error" in the stat, but more of what I mentioned above with SRS/the scoreboard accurately reflecting what I think of as quality. My classic concern with this has always been the difference between adding 10 points to a -10 SRS team and a 0 SRS team...these things aren't the same for some the very reasons that LA and Hou aren't the "same" in the previous example.
Check out and discuss my book, now on Kindle! http://www.backpicks.com/thinking-basketball/
mysticbb
Banned User
And1: 713

Post#73 » by mysticbb » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:50 pm

ElGee wrote:SRS is dependent upon the opponent. It is an average output of performance against a distribution of opponents. It is not perfectly stable. Furthermore, we can really think of SRS as MOV (points), with a simple adjustment for schedule strength. This mean that a 7 SRS team, when playing a 0 SRS team, doesn't truly have a +7 expected point value, because that team may not be 7 points better when playing only that team. If Dallas and Golden State existed a 2-team league in 2007, the results of their 8 games would be:

GSW +11
Dal - 11

But for that season, against the entire distributions of their schedules, Dallas was +7 and GSW 0. This simply means that not all 7 SRS teams will perform the same against the same SRS-quality opponents. Another team that went +7 against the league may be +10 against GSW...the generated advantage in basketball is matchup dependent. The more consistent a team is in their application of their strengths, the less matchup-specific variability we will see in their performance.

While there is such an effect for matchups, it is hardly as big as you illustrate that here. In fact, different minute distributions to players has a bigger effect than matchups. Your Mavericks vs. Warriors example does not take that into account at all. If we just look at the playoffs and the 20 of the last 21 games of the season for the Warriors in which they had Davis+Harrington+Jackson+Richardson available, we see that those Warriors were +6 against all other teams, while being +11 against the Mavericks. If we include the two games they played against the Mavericks (indeed, the Mavericks had to play the Warriors at full strength in 8 of their 9 games), the Warriors played like a +9.8 team during those 20 of the last 21 games (Baron Davis missed the road game against the Blazers). In those 62 other games the Warriors played like a -3.2 team. So, the difference between "not healthy and before trade Warriors" vs. "full strength Warriors" was about 9 points in all games against non-Mavericks teams, more than those 5 points difference between playing the Mavericks at full strength vs. playing other teams at full strength.

The best way to predict the outcome of a game is to use a reliable player metric as well as the expected minute distribution. That comes much closer to the reality in playoff games than the SRS of the RS.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#74 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:31 am

A note on terminology since ElGee brought stuff up.

I think 'resiliency' is a great term for the ability to withstand disruption from an opponent in general, but may or may not be well suited to describe how well consistent a team is in the face of disruption. After all a team equally mediocre at handling many situation might not be one we want to describe as resilient. I'll have to think on it more.

I think it's also a bit misleading to see a close analogy to portability because whether we talk about a player or a team, this resiliency/consistency concept applies in relation to the opponent. By contrast portability is an emergent property of team sports as it is defined in terms of teammates.

I'll also note the distinction between fault tolerance and fault resistance. With the former you have a Plan B in place, with the latter Plan A just keeps working.

I would say the term we already use that represents fault tolerance is versatility.
I would say the term we already use that represents fault resistance is dominance.

A player therefore may be termed resilient if there combination of versatility and dominance makes them very tough to stop.

One last point: 'versatility' is a bit of an ambiguous term because it may represent in the mines of some the sheer diversity of a player's arsenal, while others would include in the term the ability to adapt and choose the right weapon in the arsenal as part of versatility. We could codify the definition if we wanted of course, but I think it would be hopeless trying to get people in general to always get the distinction.

P.S. I just got in a conversation with D Nice where he insisted that Kobe was extremely portable, and that he had been using the term portable longer than anyone in this particular conversation so I didn't get to tell him what the term meant. Crazy.

sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#75 » by sp6r=underrated » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:49 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:sp6r I think you're doing great work in this thread.

Thank you.

You've also made clear that you yourself are not part of the "strong RAPM" contingent, but haven't elaborated as to why presumably because you weren't asked. So, why u no strong RAPM?

If my lady and I are discussing where we should go for dinner it really isn’t a big deal. Neither party has to work hard to persuade the other because we eat out enough together that if we end up at a restaurant we don’t like it isn’t a big deal. We suffer through a meal and don’t go back. By contrast a good deal of persuasion is necessary if you’re debating whether you should get married or where you should buy a home. Those are decisions that require a lot of thought because the ramifications of getting it wrong are severe.

The decision to discard the box score from your analysis is one with heavy ramifications that require a good deal of persuasion. The supporters of the strong RAPM hypothesis have never persuaded me that their premise is correct

It would be helpful to begin by describing what the box score. The box score is simply an attempt to count events that occur on the court. The original box score was extremely small. It did not include any of the following:

Offensive Rebounds
Defensive Rebounds
Turnovers
Steals
Blocks

Gradually, over a period of years those stats were incorporated into the traditional box score. The traditional box score was also expanded to include three points made and attempted after the three-point shot was added to basketball. In short, the box score is part of the counting category of stats.

This point was heavily disputed in another recent thread but I am correct and will repeat it: the expansion of the box score is not finished. As an aside, the idea behind Elgee’s Opportunities Created is that by recording what he defines as opportunities created you can improve your individual player evaluation. In that sense he is quite similar to the creators of the original box score who also felt recording individual events could improve your player evaluation.

The video tracking stats that have been created in recent years are all attempts to count individual events that occur on the court. Here are some stats that are included in the video tracking stats category:

Shot charts
Amount of time a ball handler holds the ball
Defensive challenges, etc.

Look at that list and compare it to the list of things that were added to the box score in the 70s. It should be obvious that they are attempting to do the same things: count event that occur on the court. That is why I predict in a very short time video tracking stats will be recognized as belonging to the same category of stats as the box score.

The only important difference between the two stats is in how the statistics are recorded. The new video tracking stats are generally automated while the traditional box score stats are recorded by human beings.

To incorporate the video tracking stats in your analysis but to discard the traditional box score means either (i) the original box score categories have no value but the video tracking stats categories do or (ii) the human error is so substantial that it cannot be trusted. The former hits me as so bizarre that I’m not sure how to respond. I will attempt a response if someone holding that view comes forward. That leaves us with the human error factor.

There is human error in the box score but that in and of itself is not justification alone for discarding the box score. The view that anything that contains human error must be discarded has massive and obvious implications for rethinking everything. By everything I mean literally everything.

The human error justification for discarding the traditional box score is only justified if the human error is so severe to make the box score an essentially unreliable document. Now, the professionalism of early box score keepers is quite questionable but in recent decades the box score recorders have improved dramatically. Corrections are made to the box score after games.

Overall the individual box score as it is recorded now is a reasonable measurement of each individual’s performance in the counting categories. If someone disputes this I invite them to conduct a study of recent NBA games. Due to league pass and youtube, full NBA games are readily available.

That means the only reason to discard the data is if you feel it has no value.

What follows got heavily criticized as simply committing the Appeal to Authority fallacy. It isn’t and I think it would be helpful to describe the Appeal to Authority fallacy. The Appeal to Authority fallacy is as follows

An Appeal to Authority is a fallacy with the following form:

Person A is (claimed to be) an authority on subject S.
Person A makes claim C about subject S.
Therefore, C is true.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacie ... ority.html

It is only a fallacy if the expert in question is not an expert on the subject. By contrast it is completely legitimate to use the opinion of experts as evidence for a position.

I really shouldn’t choose such a hot-button topic to make a point like this, but it’s such a good example that I can’t resist. Take climate change. The majority of the climate science community has concluded that the evidence supports the hypothesis that human activity has and will lead to substantial, detrimental changes to our planet’s climate.

Does that prove that climate change is real? No. Proving is something that mathematicians do. It does, however, set the standard for those who believe that climate change is not real. The scientific consensus is prima facie evidence of the truth of climate change. Jo(e) Public is justified, in the absence of the time and skills to investigate for themselves, in believing that climate change is more likely to be true than false. Those who wish to believe that climate change is probably not real have the burden of showing that the scientists are wrong.

http://letterstonature.wordpress.com/20 ... ers-guide/

In the U.S. climate change debates people who are concerned about climate change frequently cite the statistic that 97% of peer reviewed articles on the subject support the view that human activity is causing changes to the climate. The users of the statistic are citing it as evidence that human activity plays a role in climate change. That is valid evidence and is not the appeal to authority fallacy

To return to the topic at hand, as best I can tell the people running the NBA still incorporate the box score into their analysis. Admittedly, the internal workings of NBA teams are often a black box but in interviews with coaches and general managers, the box score often comes up. The grizzlies recently hired a general manager who is best known for his work with the box score. Looking at players contracts and the box score it seems fairly obvious that NBA teams still use the box score as a big factor in roster development.

Does that prove the box score has value? No. Is it evidence for the value of the box score? Yes.

The leading figures in the plus/minus revolution often incorporate box score stats in their analysis. It pisses off people a good deal that Englemann removed RAPM and replaced it with XRAPM but that did occur. Mysticcb who probably has the best understanding of plus/minus stats still uses the box score in his all in one stat.

Does that prove the box score has value? No. Is it evidence for the value of the box score? Yes.

From my perspective, the fact that box score still has a lot of value to the people who control the sport is a major factor for why I place a heavy persuasion burden squarely on the strong RAPM crowd. I don’t feel that burden has ever been adequately met.

Finally, here are some stray points. I do not feel the sample size issue is ever fully resolved. NBA careers are extremely short. Very few NBA players reach 50,000 minutes played. The average office worker reaches that point in 6 months. Obviously 50,000 minutes of game-time in the NBA is a lot more valuable for evaluation than office time but the point stands we are dealing with a small sample size.

Coaching decisions play a big role. We discussed it with AI, but 76ers management repeatedly tried to pair him with a secondary scorer and neglected the 3 point line. From a plus/minus perspective it appears he failed with many different players. In reality he failed with one type of player.

I meandered a good deal but I think that describes a lot of the reasons I reject the strong RAPM premise. I do value +/- stats and hope to respond to the team portion sometime this weekend.
drza
Analyst
And1: 1,852

Post#76 » by drza » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:26 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:You've also made clear that you yourself are not part of the "strong RAPM" contingent, but haven't elaborated as to why presumably because you weren't asked. So, why u no strong RAPM?

(a lot of interesting stuff that you should scroll up to read)

That was an interesting take, but I don't think that it necessarily answers the question as I'd understand it. I understood the question as:

"Why aren't you a strong supporter of utilizing RAPM?"

What you seemed to answer was:

"Why don't you advocate getting rid of the box scores entirely and only using RAPM?"

Those are two different questions. I can only speak for myself, but I have no desire to completely disregard the box scores. I also don't think that RAPM should be used to the exclusion of all other data sources (including the box scores).

What I've said before, and would say again, is that RAPM (and the +/- stats in general) are extremely useful sources of information that run orthogonal to the box scores. In other words, it's an additional source of information that doesn't have to rely on the boxes. And that it thus allows us to address and (in some cases answer) questions that the box scores aren't equipped to answer.

The box scores contain useful information. And if it expands to include video tracking the way you describe, it will contain even more useful info. However, as long as the box scores are intended to be a record of the counting stats of the individual, it will never be built to estimate a player's impact outside of secondary analysis. As such, there will always be room for the +/- stats to address these different questions.

I don't mind the XRAPM approach or Mystic's approach that incorporates both +/- and box score info. What bothers me, and what may have bothered DocMJ (but I'll let him answer for sure) is the idea that the XRAPM data is the ONLY data that might be publicly available and that it is portrayed in a way that could lead people to think it's a pure +/- stat. With the black box mystery of some of the more advanced calculations, I would rather that there be a clear separation between +/- stats and those that combine the two...and that both be available.

In summary, based on what you wrote, our positions aren't mutually exclusive. You can make good use of the +/- stats without feeling like they should be the only thing considered ever. In fact...if ALL you're using is RAPM for your analysis, then frankly you're doing it wrong.
Creator of the Hoops Lab: tinyurl.com/mpo2brj
Contributor to NylonCalculusDOTcom
Contributor to TYTSports: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTbFEVCpx9shKEsZl7FcRHzpGO1dPoimk
Follow on Twitter: @ProfessorDrz
MacGill
Veteran
And1: 464

Post#77 » by MacGill » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:48 pm

I'll continue to be an outsider looking in here but I want to compliment you all on some fantastic informal discussions. It refreshing to see idea's and opinions being shared and welcomed and given the poster's involved here, it's not hard to understand why.

Great job and please continue :)
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#78 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:02 am

drza wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:You've also made clear that you yourself are not part of the "strong RAPM" contingent, but haven't elaborated as to why presumably because you weren't asked. So, why u no strong RAPM?

(a lot of interesting stuff that you should scroll up to read)

That was an interesting take, but I don't think that it necessarily answers the question as I'd understand it. I understood the question as:

"Why aren't you a strong supporter of utilizing RAPM?"

What you seemed to answer was:

"Why don't you advocate getting rid of the box scores entirely and only using RAPM?"

Those are two different questions. I can only speak for myself, but I have no desire to completely disregard the box scores. I also don't think that RAPM should be used to the exclusion of all other data sources (including the box scores).

What I've said before, and would say again, is that RAPM (and the +/- stats in general) are extremely useful sources of information that run orthogonal to the box scores. In other words, it's an additional source of information that doesn't have to rely on the boxes. And that it thus allows us to address and (in some cases answer) questions that the box scores aren't equipped to answer.

The box scores contain useful information. And if it expands to include video tracking the way you describe, it will contain even more useful info. However, as long as the box scores are intended to be a record of the counting stats of the individual, it will never be built to estimate a player's impact outside of secondary analysis. As such, there will always be room for the +/- stats to address these different questions.

I don't mind the XRAPM approach or Mystic's approach that incorporates both +/- and box score info. What bothers me, and what may have bothered DocMJ (but I'll let him answer for sure) is the idea that the XRAPM data is the ONLY data that might be publicly available and that it is portrayed in a way that could lead people to think it's a pure +/- stat. With the black box mystery of some of the more advanced calculations, I would rather that there be a clear separation between +/- stats and those that combine the two...and that both be available.

In summary, based on what you wrote, our positions aren't mutually exclusive. You can make good use of the +/- stats without feeling like they should be the only thing considered ever. In fact...if ALL you're using is RAPM for your analysis, then frankly you're doing it wrong.

Yeah, I think sp6r's post has a ton of insight, but also that you do a good job saying much of what I'd say.

When we're talking about a "strong RAPM" mindset, to me it goes without saying that only means that if you have enough data RAPM will give you the best analysis of a player's value in a given role within a given context.

Obviously, we don't have enough data to do this, and even if we did, simply quantifying value is not the entirety of what we'd like to do when analyzing a player.

But sp6r put his finger on something when he calls it somewhat disingenuous when I or someone else like me makes a "weak RAPM" case to others when I actually feel considerably stronger than that.

There's an passage in a book called Zodiac by Neal Stephenson where the protagonist is an ecology expert. At one point while doing an investigation in how contaminated a company's site is he's working with a security officer of some sort. The exchange goes something like this:

-Protagonist does a reading, it's 1,000,000 times over the legal limits.
-Security guard asks him what the reading is.
-Protagonist says it's bad news, more than twice the legal limits.

Why does he do this? Because he believes that the security guard will think he's crazy if he actually tells the entire truth to a layman, at which point the guard will stop listening and quite possibly work against him.

It's ethos/pathos/logos stuff, and in particular with basketball analysis I feel the need to greatly vary how I talk depending on who I speak to. The tricky part here is that unlike areas of expertise in my day job where people expect there to be experts - and thus the only adjustment one must make is to properly gauge the existing schema in a person's head- in basketball most people who are passionate about it already think they ARE the expert.

So how do you influence people like this to bring them closer to what you believe is greater knowledge when they don't acknowledge your expertise, when you're a pseudo-anonymous avatar for example?

Well, y'all have seen what I do. My apologies if it means I appear two-faced or if through my own limited memory I talk "below" you sometimes.

mopper8
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,868

Post#79 » by mopper8 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:20 am

Doctor MJ wrote:So how do you influence people like this to bring them closer to what you believe is greater knowledge when they don't acknowledge your expertise, when you're a pseudo-anonymous avatar for example?

I know this is rhetorical but nonetheless, allow me to recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Influence-Psychol ... gy_b_img_y

I cannot recommend it highly enough, it's a well-written easy read, really insightful, scientifically rigorous, and is useful both in everyday life and in a host of professions. And of course the whole book is about directly answering your question, broadly speaking: how do you influence people?
DragicTime85 wrote:[Ric Bucher] has a tiny wiener and I can prove it.
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,879

Post#80 » by ronnymac2 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:18 pm

mopper8 wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:So how do you influence people like this to bring them closer to what you believe is greater knowledge when they don't acknowledge your expertise, when you're a pseudo-anonymous avatar for example?

I know this is rhetorical but nonetheless, allow me to recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Influence-Psychol ... gy_b_img_y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I cannot recommend it highly enough, it's a well-written easy read, really insightful, scientifically rigorous, and is useful both in everyday life and in a host of professions. And of course the whole book is about directly answering your question, broadly speaking: how do you influence people?

Thanks for the recommendation man. Very informative read.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river

Return to Statistical Analysis