Free Throw Rate in 1991 Eastern Conference Finals

Moderator: Doctor MJ

thasloth
Ballboy
And1: 3

Free Throw Rate in 1991 Eastern Conference Finals 

Post#1 » by thasloth » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:21 pm

One of my hobbies is trying to find statistics that might change peoples perspectives on things. My latest project involves free throw rate in series that are considered historically important:

2006 NBA finals:
Miami Heat: 0.286 Ft/FGA
Dallas Mavericks: 0.260 Ft/FGA

This is interesting because this series is considered an all time rigged series, but their free throw rates are very similar. However, a closer look shows that the data is skewed by the first few games, where Dallas had the advantage, and as the series progressed, Miami became heavily favored. However, this serves as a good baseline, because Miami's highest single game was .464, which was also their only game above 0.400.
In the end, in what is usually called the most rigged series of all time, the winning team had one game above 0.400. and two total above 0.300

1991 Eastern Conference Finals:
Chicago Bulls: 0.403 Ft/FGA
Detroit Pistons: 0.256 Ft/FGA

In this series Chicago was above 0.300 in all four games, and above 0.400 in two of them, while Detroit was above 0.300 in one of them. What is really interesting is that, outside of this series, Chicago did not draw a large amount of free throws, and Detroit did not give a large number up. For example, in their series the year before, Chicago's rate was 0.286 and Detroit's was 0.328.

Does anyone know where I can find complete footage of the 1991 series to do further research? No free throws are shown in highlights.
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Re: Free Throw Rate in 1991 Eastern Conference Finals 

Post#2 » by NashtyNas » Fri Sep 5, 2014 9:21 am

Good thing you admitted to not having watched the games...

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas

Return to Statistical Analysis