howt to find win probability at certain points

Moderator: Doctor MJ

RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

howt to find win probability at certain points 

Post#1 » by RSCD3_ » Sat Dec 6, 2014 4:06 am

So ive seen a lot of things off of ESPN's twitter where they talk about what the probability was of a team that pulled off a a great comeback and I was wondering what type of formula you would use to figure out odds in any situation
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Re: howt to find win probability at certain points 

Post#2 » by andyhop » Tue Dec 9, 2014 2:04 pm

If you have the score of lots of games broken down by time (however finely you want ,so by minute or second or whatever) you can work out how many teams came back from down X at the Y minute point of the game and calculate the odds from that and the total of teams down X at the Y minute mark.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#3 » by RSCD3_ » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:50 pm

andyhop wrote:If you have the score of lots of games broken down by time (however finely you want ,so by minute or second or whatever) you can work out how many teams came back from down X at the Y minute point of the game and calculate the odds from that and the total of teams down X at the Y minute mark.

How could I acquire this information with next to no technology or programming background. Would it cost?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
TigerInYourTank
Senior
And1: 198

Post#4 » by TigerInYourTank » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:14 pm

RSCD3_ wrote:
andyhop wrote:If you have the score of lots of games broken down by time (however finely you want ,so by minute or second or whatever) you can work out how many teams came back from down X at the Y minute point of the game and calculate the odds from that and the total of teams down X at the Y minute mark.

How could I acquire this information with next to no technology or programming background. Would it cost?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

As a developer, I see it as non-trivial.I see it from the standpoint of parsing data from websites automatically, putting it in a database, setting up a UI, and using R to do the processing/math. It would cost about a half a week to a week, which is roughly $2000. This would probably he a very quick-and-dirty setup (half-assed). However, some guys will do it for free out of interest. I'm sure I will do this groundwork, eventually.

Return to Statistical Analysis