Hassan Whiteside Per 36 Minute Figures

Moderator: Doctor MJ

jmilkes
Ballboy
And1: 4

Hassan Whiteside Per 36 Minute Figures 

Post#1 » by jmilkes » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:43 am

Has anyone else seen Whiteside's per 36 minute numbers? He's averaging an absurd 18.2 pts, 15.6 rebs, and 4.6 blks per 36 on .649 shooting. He also has a block percentage of 11%, which would be the highest of all time if the season ended today. I was also surprised to see that in 2011-2012 he put up a blk% of 10% for the Kings. He didn't qualify as a statistical leader that year because of his extremely limited play time (6.1 mpg), but if he had qualified, his 2011-2012 season would have ranked 4th all time in blk%. The only other player to hit break 10% was Manute Bol, who did it three times. Whiteside also put up 5 blks per 36 in 2011-2012, and .8 blks per game. I don't think I've ever seen someone average almost an entire block while only playing 6.1 mpg.

All things considered, the numbers he is putting up are pretty absurd. I was a little skeptical of him at first, but after seeing these figures, I'm really intrigued. It should be interesting to see what he does in the coming months with starter minutes. What are your guys' thoughts on his numbers and his ceiling, especially considering that he's already 25?
DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,554

Re: Hassan Whiteside Per 36 Minute Figures 

Post#2 » by DefenseWins » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:11 am

I don't know about ceiling but the past week or so he's on a bad ankle but still gets his stats up, but his blocks has been down.

When he is back healthy I think he'll go on a tear, with Wade finally feeding him.

What most people don't know is he gets like 80% of his points from put backs. Only 1 game they play called for him to get jump shots (vs Boston, you can check the highlights), and here and there he gets some jumpshots now in game. But before all either lobs (and then lessened SIGNIFICANTLY without Wade, our guards suck) or offensive rebounds.

Whiteside has great blocking instincts, this was something known when he was drafted, and he has a 7-7 wingspan. Plus he is athletic and he gets some insane blocks and has a good touch.

The next few weeks keep an eye on him. Hopefully he doesn't get another ankle injury... he got two ankle injures in like a 3 week span. He's limited him yet he still racked up his numbers, BUT he wasn't as effective sometimes as he usually is. I'm somewhat glad the attention has lowered since we aren't winning. But he is not some stat padder, he really can effect the game when his head is in the game.

Return to Statistical Analysis