Radical idea. No inbounds after a shot is made.

Moderator: Doctor MJ

B_BallReasons
Junior
And1: 161

Radical idea. No inbounds after a shot is made. 

Post#1 » by B_BallReasons » Fri May 15, 2015 8:49 pm

What if the opposing team can just pick up after a shot is made without having to inbound the ball from the baseline. How much does this change the game of basketball. I would love to see a preseason game to test this.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,928

Re: Radical idea. No inbounds after a shot is made. 

Post#2 » by meekrab » Sat May 16, 2015 10:58 pm

So you can just pick up the ball and heave it down court to someone for a layup?

League would move even further towards small ball and sprinters.
basketballbeans
Pro Prospect
And1: 397

Post#3 » by basketballbeans » Mon May 18, 2015 4:47 pm

B_BallReasons wrote:What if the opposing team can just pick up after a shot is made without having to inbound the ball from the baseline. How much does this change the game of basketball. I would love to see a preseason game to test this.

Well... think about it like this - regardless of how fast the team inbounds the ball, it still leaves a decent amount of time for the defense to get back and set up. On missed shots, there is a much bigger chance for the now offensive team to go on a fast-break. Scoring on fast-breaks is much easier then scoring on a set-defense. If there was no inbounds... a made shot would be the same thing as a rebound. There would be so much fast-breaks, and having set-offenses and set-defenses would become obsolete... at least that's how I predict it would end up going now. They wouldn't be completely obsolete, but the percentage of possessions that are fast-breaks would be the large majority.

In it's essence - making teams inbound the ball after scored baskets gives the team on defense time to set up. Remove inbounding, and the whole dimension of defense in basketball is morphed. Inbounding creates an important balance.
SideSwipe
Analyst
And1: 660

Post#4 » by SideSwipe » Tue Jul 7, 2015 3:46 am

This is interesting. Lots of fast break ball for sure. Would tremendously raise the value of shot blockers, I would think too.
Egg Nog
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,373

Post#5 » by Egg Nog » Wed Jul 8, 2015 8:15 am

SideSwipe wrote:This is interesting. Lots of fast break ball for sure. Would tremendously raise the value of shot blockers, I would think too.

Except that shot-blockers will less frequently make it back to the other side of the court before the ball gets there, thus simultaneously diminishing part of their value.
SideSwipe
Analyst

Post#6 » by SideSwipe » Wed Jul 8, 2015 3:35 pm

Egg Nog wrote:
SideSwipe wrote:This is interesting. Lots of fast break ball for sure. Would tremendously raise the value of shot blockers, I would think too.

Except that shot-blockers will less frequently make it back to the other side of the court before the ball gets there, thus simultaneously diminishing part of their value.

I see what you're saying, but I think it depends on who's blocking the shots. Jahlil Okafor or Anthony Davis. I'm not sure Davis loses to anyone to the other side of the court (I'm being facetious, but you get my point). Also don't need a 5 man fast break. One man always under the basket, 4 on the break.
Egg Nog
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,373

Post#7 » by Egg Nog » Wed Jul 8, 2015 7:13 pm

SideSwipe wrote:
Egg Nog wrote:

I see what you're saying, but I think it depends on who's blocking the shots. Jahlil Okafor or Anthony Davis. I'm not sure Davis loses to anyone to the other side of the court (I'm being facetious, but you get my point). Also don't need a 5 man fast break. One man always under the basket, 4 on the break.

I suppose, yes. It seems to me like the two-way big would largely disappear from the game. There would be a greater risk to having a slower guy take shots near the rim since it would usually mean they're the last back on the other end.

It would also completely change the dynamic of rebounding. Every time a shot goes up, a player will have to weigh the gamble of following his own shot against the potential of his guy leaking out. Cherry picking is massively encouraged because it becomes a threat in virtually all circumstances.

The three is also hugely encouraged because (A) it already has better return value than most other shots, but also because (B) initial position for the following defensive possession is MUCH better. Even something like dunking the ball carries more risk with this system...we would probably see players trying to exploit the rule change by dunking it such that the ball goes out of bounds as much as possible after going through the rim.
SideSwipe
Analyst

Post#8 » by SideSwipe » Wed Jul 8, 2015 7:41 pm

Egg Nog wrote:
SideSwipe wrote:
Egg Nog wrote:

I suppose, yes. It seems to me like the two-way big would largely disappear from the game. There would be a greater risk to having a slower guy take shots near the rim since it would usually mean they're the last back on the other end.

It would also completely change the dynamic of rebounding. Every time a shot goes up, a player will have to weigh the gamble of following his own shot against the potential of his guy leaking out. Cherry picking is massively encouraged because it becomes a threat in virtually all circumstances.

The three is also hugely encouraged because (A) it already has better return value than most other shots, but also because (B) initial position for the following defensive possession is MUCH better. Even something like dunking the ball carries more risk with this system...we would probably see players trying to exploit the rule change by dunking it such that the ball goes out of bounds as much as possible after going through the rim.

Yes and imagine the conditioning needed... Probably need to sub guys more often and go a little deeper in the bench to keep freshowing legs. The scores would probably be crazy- though I suppose over time some teams would adjust their offenses to focus on transition D.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,804

Post#9 » by HotelVitale » Wed Oct 7, 2015 7:16 am

My first thought is that it would lead to all sorts of ugly manipulations of made shots (offensive rebounders 'accidentally' having made balls bounce off their shoulders, offensive guys around the hoop mysteriously getting tangled up with the D for 2 seconds afer a shot goes in, etc). It'd be exciting in some ways but if you think fans got pissed about flopping, this would take chincey little half-cheating moves to a new level.
EmperorLocky
Sixth Man
And1: 3,060

Post#10 » by EmperorLocky » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:44 pm

Would definitely stop show boating or at least punish someone for it.

Can I radicalise your radical idea? Ball goes through the hoop and rolls out of bounds...offensive team's ball again?
nrockwaychicago
Pro Prospect
And1: 719

Post#11 » by nrockwaychicago » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:38 am

EmperorLocky wrote:Would definitely stop show boating or at least punish someone for it.

Can I radicalise your radical idea? Ball goes through the hoop and rolls out of bounds...offensive team's ball again?

why stop there?

make it take it.

Return to Statistical Analysis