Almost....and not quite.

Moderator: jman3134

User avatar
old rem
RealGM
Posts: 50,551
And1: 1,048
Joined: Jun 14, 2005
Location: Witness Protection

Almost....and not quite. 

Post#1 » by old rem » Sun Jun 9, 2013 7:25 pm

Cincinnati Moeller was...until recently the State Champs in Football, Baseball and Volleyball (boys) and was in the mix to win a state title in Hoops too. That...would have been VERY rare.

The Basketball team...was damn good on D...got through 3 rounds of playoffs with the opponent usually not topping 30 pt...then...they ran into Springboro with an all state 6-11 center ( Maverick Morgan) a 24 ppg guy. Close but they lost. Moeller got to the finals in Volleyball a couple weeks ago...lost to the team they beat last year. Today...they go for repeat titles in baseball. Their last 190 games...they scored 10+ and gave up 3 or less and they played 2 of the best Div 2 teams in the state...and the others were mainly Div 1 playoff teams.

The Football team..not only won Ohio...but beat teams that won State in Michigan,NJ,Kentucky.

Has ANY HS team ever been "big school champs in each of Football,Basketball, Baseball? I doubt it.
CENSORED... No comment.
User avatar
old rem
RealGM
Posts: 50,551
And1: 1,048
Joined: Jun 14, 2005
Location: Witness Protection

Re: Almost....and not quite. 

Post#2 » by old rem » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:10 am

Moeller DID win the State title in Baseball yesterday....in the playoffs...outscored the opposition 82-8.....for an average 10-1 win. In Football...besides being State Champs of Ohio...in the season they played and BEAT teams that ended up State Champs in Michigan, Kentucky,New Jersey.

Louisville Trinity...otherwise...was unbeaten for 4 years. Moeller DID lose, regular season...to Indianapolis Cathedral (close game) and they ended up Indiana's State Champs.

Moeller usually is a Top 10 team in Ohio Basketball...won a few championships...but winning THIS year...would have been a RARE sweep.
CENSORED... No comment.
User avatar
Talent Chaser
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,665
And1: 773
Joined: May 27, 2013
Location: Ohio
 

Re: Almost....and not quite. 

Post#3 » by Talent Chaser » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:43 pm

SJJ would have won the basketball title without Gardner's ankle sprain.
Wolves_Nation
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,414
And1: 403
Joined: Feb 15, 2013
       

Re: Almost....and not quite. 

Post#4 » by Wolves_Nation » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:51 am

old rem wrote:Cincinnati Moeller was...until recently the State Champs in Football, Baseball and Volleyball (boys) and was in the mix to win a state title in Hoops too. That...would have been VERY rare.

The Basketball team...was damn good on D...got through 3 rounds of playoffs with the opponent usually not topping 30 pt...then...they ran into Springboro with an all state 6-11 center ( Maverick Morgan) a 24 ppg guy. Close but they lost. Moeller got to the finals in Volleyball a couple weeks ago...lost to the team they beat last year. Today...they go for repeat titles in baseball. Their last 190 games...they scored 10+ and gave up 3 or less and they played 2 of the best Div 2 teams in the state...and the others were mainly Div 1 playoff teams.

The Football team..not only won Ohio...but beat teams that won State in Michigan,NJ,Kentucky.

Has ANY HS team ever been "big school champs in each of Football,Basketball, Baseball? I doubt it.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eden_Prair ... #Athletics
This school was pretty close. Baseball the year before, but replace basketball with hockey. Just as big of a deal here. I think they were runner ups in basketball in 2011.
User avatar
old rem
RealGM
Posts: 50,551
And1: 1,048
Joined: Jun 14, 2005
Location: Witness Protection

Re: Almost....and not quite. 

Post#5 » by old rem » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:43 am

Moeller repeated as State Baseball Champs...is playing a tough playoff game tommorrow trying to repeat in Football. The Basketball team is ranked #1 in the Cincinnati area...I'm not thinking they can win a title....but they will be in the Mix. Moeller usually is in the finals in Volleyball...and will go for a Three-peat in Baseball. Not sure ANY team ever held State Champ in EACH of Football, Basketball, Baseball simutaneously.

They also have 2 wrestlers who won their weight last year at States...so maybe a team title in that? Worth note...those guys were Starters on last year's Football State Champs Moe's QB was a WR on last years State Champs, pitched on the Baseball State Champs. You don't get a lot of players who ever were "State Champ" in anything...so I find it rather unique when some guys are State champ in multiple sports and may get a REPEAT in something. Last year's QB was on TWO champs in Baseball, one in Football.
CENSORED... No comment.
User avatar
old rem
RealGM
Posts: 50,551
And1: 1,048
Joined: Jun 14, 2005
Location: Witness Protection

Re: Almost....and not quite. 

Post#6 » by old rem » Sun Dec 1, 2013 11:00 pm

Moeller is in the State finals for Div I footbal, are top ranked Cinci area in basketball...have 2 guys who won their class in State Wrestling + another who took 3rd. They ALWAYS are among the best in Volleyball...lost in the finals last year. They won 2 in a row in Baseball. Being #1 in Ohio in HS football 2 yr in a row...is HARD. It's ...however..do-able. Moeller will be among a few teams who can be state champs in Baseball, Wrestling, Volleyball. So...Basketball is the tough one. They can do well in the playoffs but...probably need luck to go all the way. It's RARE as hell to be State Champs among big schools in more than one sport. It would be pretty unique to be champs in 4-5 sports.

Update.....Moeller's Wrestlers are in the State Semifinals. The basketball team looks good,but not unbeatable. Preseason- the baseball team is ranked #1 in the State...though being champs 2 yr straight..that's expected.

The big challenge really would be to win State in Basketball (they rank #4) as a Football-Basketball-Baseball sweep is pretty much unheard of. Winning in a lesser sport (Wrestling,Volleyball) would be way cool but less unique.
CENSORED... No comment.
User avatar
old rem
RealGM
Posts: 50,551
And1: 1,048
Joined: Jun 14, 2005
Location: Witness Protection

Re: Almost....and not quite. 

Post#7 » by old rem » Sat Feb 8, 2014 9:39 pm

Wolves_Nation wrote:
old rem wrote:Cincinnati Moeller was...until recently the State Champs in Football, Baseball and Volleyball (boys) and was in the mix to win a state title in Hoops too. That...would have been VERY rare.

The Basketball team...was damn good on D...got through 3 rounds of playoffs with the opponent usually not topping 30 pt...then...they ran into Springboro with an all state 6-11 center ( Maverick Morgan) a 24 ppg guy. Close but they lost. Moeller got to the finals in Volleyball a couple weeks ago...lost to the team they beat last year. Today...they go for repeat titles in baseball. Their last 190 games...they scored 10+ and gave up 3 or less and they played 2 of the best Div 2 teams in the state...and the others were mainly Div 1 playoff teams.

The Football team..not only won Ohio...but beat teams that won State in Michigan,NJ,Kentucky.

Has ANY HS team ever been "big school champs in each of Football,Basketball, Baseball? I doubt it.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eden_Prair ... #Athletics
This school was pretty close. Baseball the year before, but replace basketball with hockey. Just as big of a deal here. I think they were runner ups in basketball in 2011.


Pretty good. Moeller however has something like 8 State titles in football, 7 in Baseball, 6 in volleyball. 2 in Basketball plus several in LaCrosse, Rugby.

Moeller won their regional in swimming but in the District...will face arch rival St X...who has won state 6 yr in a row. With 2 in a row in both Football and Baseball...winning in Basketball would be HUGE. Current rank...#2 in the State. A title in volleyball or Wrestling would be great, but sweeping Football-Basketball-Baseball... that's major.
CENSORED... No comment.
Wolves_Nation
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,414
And1: 403
Joined: Feb 15, 2013
       

Re: Almost....and not quite. 

Post#8 » by Wolves_Nation » Sat Feb 8, 2014 10:49 pm

old rem wrote:
Wolves_Nation wrote:
old rem wrote:Cincinnati Moeller was...until recently the State Champs in Football, Baseball and Volleyball (boys) and was in the mix to win a state title in Hoops too. That...would have been VERY rare.

The Basketball team...was damn good on D...got through 3 rounds of playoffs with the opponent usually not topping 30 pt...then...they ran into Springboro with an all state 6-11 center ( Maverick Morgan) a 24 ppg guy. Close but they lost. Moeller got to the finals in Volleyball a couple weeks ago...lost to the team they beat last year. Today...they go for repeat titles in baseball. Their last 190 games...they scored 10+ and gave up 3 or less and they played 2 of the best Div 2 teams in the state...and the others were mainly Div 1 playoff teams.

The Football team..not only won Ohio...but beat teams that won State in Michigan,NJ,Kentucky.

Has ANY HS team ever been "big school champs in each of Football,Basketball, Baseball? I doubt it.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eden_Prair ... #Athletics
This school was pretty close. Baseball the year before, but replace basketball with hockey. Just as big of a deal here. I think they were runner ups in basketball in 2011.


Pretty good. Moeller however has something like 8 State titles in football, 7 in Baseball, 6 in volleyball. 2 in Basketball plus several in LaCrosse, Rugby.

Moeller won their regional in swimming but in the District...will face arch rival St X...who has won state 6 yr in a row. With 2 in a row in both Football and Baseball...winning in Basketball would be HUGE. Current rank...#2 in the State. A title in volleyball or Wrestling would be great, but sweeping Football-Basketball-Baseball... that's major.


I'm not sure you understand how big hockey is in Minnesota. It's like football in Texas...
User avatar
old rem
RealGM
Posts: 50,551
And1: 1,048
Joined: Jun 14, 2005
Location: Witness Protection

Re: Almost....and not quite. 

Post#9 » by old rem » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:46 pm

Sure. There's a handful of States where Hockey is a HS sport. Moeller has had pretty good teams, but no state titles. We have won state in Lacrosse....and I'm sure not many states have a State Championshp in HS LaCrosse. In Ohio...Girls Volleyball is MAJOR...boys volleyball..is not. About half the schools have boys volleyball. Odds are Moeller and Hilliard Darby will AGAIN play in the finals after beating anyone else rather easy.

Moeller won't be State Champs in Wrestling. They lost in the Semi-finals. They probably have a couple guys who repeat as best in their weight. Well before the season, Moeller is ranked #1 in Baseball. However... I am focused on the Basketball team They don't score big...but are NASTY good on D, hold good teams to low points and %.. That's kind of typical. In recent State tournaments... opponents seldom managed to score 40.
The top rank team... St Edward (near Cleveland) is a team we know well. they ALSO are always a top team is whatever sport. They are , in Football...one of the other regioal powers so good.. they can't get a lot of local teams to play them. Moeller, St Ed's, Lousville Trinity, Indianapolis Cathedral... are hundreds of miles apart, have usually been as good as it gets in football in their sttes... and They often play each other because the "locals" do not want to get blown out. If your REGULAR.....sceduale includes defending State Champs in 3 States plus a league that's VERY tough... when you get in the playoffs... you can't be intimidated.
CENSORED... No comment.
User avatar
old rem
RealGM
Posts: 50,551
And1: 1,048
Joined: Jun 14, 2005
Location: Witness Protection

Re: Almost....and not quite. 

Post#10 » by old rem » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:06 pm

Moeller moved up, is ranked #1 in Ohio to start the playoffs. In rd 1 of the playoffs...they had a 44-9 lead at the half, played no starters in the second half and won 74-24. Pretty good defense
CENSORED... No comment.
User avatar
Arda K
RealGM
Posts: 47,956
And1: 18,741
Joined: Apr 11, 2007
Location: Frisco
     

Re: Almost....and not quite. 

Post#11 » by Arda K » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:15 pm

moeller is a subpar academic institution and should be ashamed of themselves for the lack integrity from administration.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!


Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
User avatar
old rem
RealGM
Posts: 50,551
And1: 1,048
Joined: Jun 14, 2005
Location: Witness Protection

Re: Almost....and not quite. 

Post#12 » by old rem » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:24 pm

El Turco wrote:moeller is a subpar academic institution and should be ashamed of themselves for the lack integrity from administration.


Since they began, Moeller has had over 80 % of grads go on to college, has had DOZENS per class get academic scholarships. Of High Schools in the area... academically, they rank in the very top group year after year. I don't know what you THINK you know but Your claims are FAR from true. They are fussy about integrity and academics WAY beyone most schools. You might think it's like some ' Basketball acadamy" that brings in super athletes from all over...gives free room and board to guys who need enough schooling to survive a year at a college before going pro. NOT so. If your kid is not willing to be a STUDENT... he's not gonna play. They only get recruits from the NE area of Greater Cincinnati. There's no room + board. Even a guy like Ken Griffey Jr...had to follow the rules. I know cause my mom worked there and put his ass on detention for showing up late.
He had to wash windows.

Mom told me about a kid and his parents wanting to transfer to Moller because they usually are a top football team in Ohio. At a public school with lower standards in academics and behavior...the kid was a screw up, they got told, bluntly...Moeller had plenty of Football talent that were willing to be good students. He fell short of the standards.
CENSORED... No comment.
User avatar
old rem
RealGM
Posts: 50,551
And1: 1,048
Joined: Jun 14, 2005
Location: Witness Protection

Re: Almost....and not quite. 

Post#13 » by old rem » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:51 pm

Moeller did lose to Trotwood. Trotwood made a 3 with 2 sec left to win by 1 and go to the State Semis. Moeller held them under 40% FG, outrebounded them by 10..but Trotwood had a BIG + in ternovers as the Refs allowed a lot of bump aand band Moeller rarely made many ternovers. Tough luck.

Moeller IS ranked #1 preseason in Baseball..aiming to win 3 in a row, has a national rank. Baseball is such a game of inches...it's hard to have 3 years straight where you go unbeaten iin the playoffs. However.. they logically are the #1 for now. Moeller is one of TWO teams in Ohio apt to win State in Boys volleyball. Moeller and Hillard Darby tend to meet in the finals. Volleyball...however..is not the Big 3 sports.

League and crosstown Rival, St X is State champ in Swimming (as usual) and in Cross Country...but they'd MUCH rather beat us in football. While Moeller has tough standards to get in (academically) and costs
parents...St X is even tougher..
CENSORED... No comment.
User avatar
old rem
RealGM
Posts: 50,551
And1: 1,048
Joined: Jun 14, 2005
Location: Witness Protection

Re: Almost....and not quite. 

Post#14 » by old rem » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:00 pm

A local (not Moeller) not..... Luke Kennard of Franklin HS (between here and Columbus) a 6-6 Jr F...was named Ohio Mr Basketball. He averaged 41 pt,10 boards and is recruited by all the usual top schools. Kennard also did well as a QB, threw for 24 tds, good yards (Div 2) But may skip football, focus on hoops as a SR.

In Girls Basketball... a local school, Princeton, won State. Kelsey Mitchell...had a 50 pt game in the playoffs. She's a McDonalds All America, ranked TOP PG this year, will go to Ohio St with her twin sister...who's good but not a star.

Gus Ragland of Moeller has been on 4 State champ teams, 2 each in football + Baseball. He is likely the top pitcher as Moeller goes for a baseball 3-peat. He did play basketball too..but as a bench guy. In Football...as QB...he was Ohio Co-Player of the year.. Had Moeller won State in hoops... Ragland would have had a role on FIVE state Div 1 champs...with another possible. As is... he was on 4...and 2 more were at least ranked #1.

That's pretty rare.
CENSORED... No comment.

Return to High School Basketball