Need help finding my jumpshot?

DAtdot
Banned User
And1: 71

Need help finding my jumpshot?  

Post#1 » by DAtdot » Mon Feb 3, 2014 1:49 am

How Can I have a consistent what are the steps to follow to build one. Give me tips on developing a jumpshot.
How to build a jumpshot like KGs patrick patterson or Chris bosh I like theirs

Sent from my Rise using RealGM Forums mobile app
ybnd
Senior
And1: 20

Re: Need help finding my jumpshot? 

Post#2 » by ybnd » Tue Feb 4, 2014 1:52 am

You want a consistent jump shot...Shoot A thousand shots a day...The same exact way every single time...You want your shot to start up high at your face or above your head...The less movement you have when going into your shot the less chance you have of throwing off your mechanics...So if your starting at your hip and bringing it above your head there is a million more movements before your release that can go wrong, which is why you wanna start as high as you can...Before you shoot your one thousand shots you should shoot 100 one handed shots starting 5 feet from the basket and moving your way back...

Make sure you arent flat...stay on your toes
You want to release your JUMP shot at the last second right before you start to descend back down
Keep the ball on the tips of your fingers...not in your palm
Keep your shooting arm tucked in and straight
Practice your shooting rhythm with out a basketball...
Do not aim the shot shoot the shot...If your shot is going long look at the front of the rim...if your shot is short look at the back of the rim
Strengthen your legs...All good shooters need legs
And remember it is always best to miss long not short...a shot that misses short doesnt have a chance to go in...you gotta give your self a chance...its better to break the back board down then to front rim it
And picture the ball going in the basket...all the time...whenever you can...while your shooting and right before you go to sleep
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#3 » by Johnlac1 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:38 pm

ybnd wrote:You want a consistent jump shot...Shoot A thousand shots a day...The same exact way every single time...You want your shot to start up high at your face or above your head...The less movement you have when going into your shot the less chance you have of throwing off your mechanics...So if your starting at your hip and bringing it above your head there is a million more movements before your release that can go wrong, which is why you wanna start as high as you can...Before you shoot your one thousand shots you should shoot 100 one handed shots starting 5 feet from the basket and moving your way back...

You want to release your JUMP shot at the last second right before you start to descend back down
Do not aim the shot shoot the shot...If your shot is going long look at the front of the rim...if your shot is short look at the back of the rim
And remember it is always best to miss long not short...a shot that misses short doesnt have a chance to go in...you gotta give your self a chance...its better to break the back board down then to front rim it
And picture the ball going in the basket...all the time...whenever you can...while your shooting and right before you go to sleep

Wrong on some aspects. Every great shooter (and basically every shooter) has the ball in the palm of their shooting hand before it progresses to the fingertips. And for many people (like me), it's impossible to keep the elbow "straight." Look at photos of great NBA shooters. It will show ALL OF THEM!!! with the ball in the palm of their hands and many with their elbow out to about five degrees. I was a great shooter, but you would have had to break my arm to get my elbow completely under the ball. Your wrist is a flexible joint. The important thing is your shooting hand fingers up and the wrist bending towards the basket. Another thing, the shot is a continuous motion and the idea is to release the ball as you reach the apex of your jump.
ybnd
Senior
And1: 20

Post#4 » by ybnd » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:10 pm

Johnlac1 wrote:
ybnd wrote:You want a consistent jump shot...Shoot A thousand shots a day...The same exact way every single time...You want your shot to start up high at your face or above your head...The less movement you have when going into your shot the less chance you have of throwing off your mechanics...So if your starting at your hip and bringing it above your head there is a million more movements before your release that can go wrong, which is why you wanna start as high as you can...Before you shoot your one thousand shots you should shoot 100 one handed shots starting 5 feet from the basket and moving your way back...

Wrong on some aspects. Every great shooter (and basically every shooter) has the ball in the palm of their shooting hand before it progresses to the fingertips. And for many people (like me), it's impossible to keep the elbow "straight." Look at photos of great NBA shooters. It will show ALL OF THEM!!! with the ball in the palm of their hands and many with their elbow out to about five degrees. I was a great shooter, but you would have had to break my arm to get my elbow completely under the ball. Your wrist is a flexible joint. The important thing is your shooting hand fingers up and the wrist bending towards the basket. Another thing, the shot is a continuous motion and the idea is to release the ball as you reach the apex of your jump.

Fingertips make for smoother release
th4d
Junior
And1: 101

Post#5 » by th4d » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:08 pm

most important thing i had to learn. took me 5 years to realise a flat fooded shot doesnt produce consistent or enough energy. staying on the palms of your feet lets your legs work like a spring.

Return to High School Basketball