Proposal For Changing Tournament

Old School
Senior
And1: 0

Proposal For Changing Tournament 

Post#1 » by Old School » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:09 pm

Instead of adding more teams, I like to see the Final Four become a round-robin tournament.
Great people talk about ideas, average people talk about things, and small people talk about people.
Fran Lebowitz
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,162

Re: Proposal For Changing Tournament 

Post#2 » by ElectricMayhem » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:48 am

A round robin to decide the champion, or a round robin to decide who places in the championship game?

If it's a round robin to decide who places in the championship game, that's a lot of ado for just replacing a round.

If it's to decide the champion, that will lead to a lot of anti-climatic final fours. Let's say you've got a 2-0 team, 2 1-1 teams, and an 0-2 team. You've got an uninspired 0-2 team that's forced to trot out against the 2-0 team playing for a championship. Aside from that situation being unfair to the 0-2 team that's already lost out on the championship but has to play anyway, chances they will get drilled by the 2-0 team. Also, tiebreakers would likely decide the championship, and that's not right.

Would this system lead to more worthy champions? Sure, a little more than now. I don't think it's worth what would be sacrificed, though.

Edit: I just noticed the OP was from 2011. Good god this forum is dead.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!

Return to NCAA Tournaments