How many games will be on TV?

singh_shady
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,142

How many games will be on TV? 

Post#1 » by singh_shady » Sun Jun 5, 2011 6:32 am

So I ask this as an NHL noob and I'm aware that the TV schedule for next season obviously hasn't been made yet but an estimation will do. I don't have the NHL network or anything but I have TSN, TSN2, SN etc. Will any games be shown on local CTV?
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Re: How many games will be on TV? 

Post#2 » by LittleOzzy » Sun Jun 5, 2011 2:44 pm

My guess is that CBC will take about 15/20 games including the home opener, and Sportsnets will air the rest on one of their regional channels.

TSN will have a handful of games too, but I'm still thinking Sportsnet will air the most.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,753

Post#3 » by spykelee » Mon Jun 6, 2011 2:00 am

This is still TBD. Things need to be worked out by the NHL yet.

Sportsnet has regional broadcasting rights for the NHL. That means that they can air teams games only within a certain geographical radius of that city. This is imposed by the NHL. So even if Snet is airing the games, the liklehood that anyone outside of the Winnipeg area would see the games, would be slim... depending on where the "boarders" that I mentioned, actually fall.

TSN has the national license, which obviously allows them to broadcast whatever games nationally. So unless you live in Winnpeg (Which I see you do slim) your best bet would be TSN or CBC. if Sportsnet get's the majority of games, it's still to be determined whether it would be on Sportsnet West or Sportsnet Ontario, or possibly even a Winnipeg companion channel... but if you live in Winnipeg you'd be fine either way. if you live in Southern Ontario... my guess is Center Ice or nothing, as the games would be blacked out in the T.O. area.
WpgPage
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#4 » by WpgPage » Mon Jun 6, 2011 4:58 am

Was at the Suite meeting last week talking to TNSE VP of marketing all 82 games will be on TV CBC and TSN will pick up 5-10 games each depending on the date and mach up rest will be aired on SNET-west on a Manitoba feed similar to how the Edmonton only feed works when they show both Flames and Oilers games.
chazeemodo
Junior
And1: 52

Post#5 » by chazeemodo » Mon Jun 6, 2011 5:07 am

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/06/05/peg-stations-battle-for-hockey-broadcast-rights

I tried for tix but it looks like there will be decent coverage and access to view the games. I'm in Dryden and used to sit out in the car listening to the games on cjob, came in clear down by the lake. Looking forward to seeing a schedule, team name and following along here...I see a couple raptor mods too...thanks yogi and oz
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by spykelee » Mon Jun 6, 2011 5:51 am

WpgPage wrote:Was at the Suite meeting last week talking to TNSE VP of marketing all 82 games will be on TV CBC and TSN will pick up 5-10 games each depending on the date and mach up rest will be aired on SNET-west on a Manitoba feed similar to how the Edmonton only feed works when they show both Flames and Oilers games.

Yea the way that worked last year is that if both those teams are playing, one of the games would be shifted to a flames or oilers companion channel and the other would be on Sportsnet West. The companion channels are offered by Sportsnet, and where free if you subscribed to Sportsnet 1. There basically a blank channel that only "fired up" and had programming on it, in scenario's like the one you mentioned. I suspected it would be something similar for Winnipeg, as honestly, trying to figure out if Winnipeg falls into Ontario (Leafs and Sens) or west (Flames and Oilers) is tough. And trying to determine who would get to see what, as per each region's regional license would be awfully tough...

But even still, having the games on a Winnipeg companion channel, will still only allow certain people within a specific radius of Winnipeg to see the games. My guess would be, all of Manitoba, all of Saskatchewan, and some of northern Ontario would get Winnipeg... everyone else is likely blacked out.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#7 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Mon Jun 6, 2011 1:40 pm

Good to hear. Now let's just hope that MTS picks up the Sportsnet-1 channel. I can't tell you how many NBA games I missed last year. If I start missing Jets' games, I'm making the jump back to Shaw.

EDIT: Nevermind. Looks like MTS picked up Sportsnet-One on June 1st. Unfortunately, it's only an SD feed. I'd love an HD feed though. 8-)
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,400

Post#8 » by YogiStewart » Mon Jun 6, 2011 11:29 pm

hoping i can sign up for a Jets hockey package in Toronto. i assume that one will be available.
WpgPage
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#9 » by WpgPage » Thu Jun 9, 2011 5:27 am

MTS pick up SN-1 finally can see the Jays games they blank out.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by spykelee » Thu Jun 9, 2011 7:19 am

YogiStewart wrote:hoping i can sign up for a Jets hockey package in Toronto. i assume that one will be available.

Well in a worst case scenario, 1 will most assuredly be available VIA NHL Center Ice. But depending on where you reside, and how the territory get's divided, that may or may not be your only option.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,100

Post#11 » by C Court » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:43 pm

Jets are starting the search for broadcast partners according to the Globe & Mail:

J-E-T-S

Now that the Winnipeg Jets have a name, a general manager and a head coach, the club can get about the job of selling regional TV and radio rights. NHL sources indicate that the Jets will receive a territorial exemption that includes Manitoba along with parts of northern Ontario and eastern Saskatchewan. It’s believed that the reborn franchise will have a chance to choose from among TSN, Rogers Sportsnet and possibly the new Global/Shaw entity as a partner.

TSN and Sportsnet would likely have to create alternate channels to handle the Jets games – much as TSN did with Montreal Canadiens and Sportsnet has done with the three western NHL clubs. But Global could offer primetime exposure on its stations in the protected territory. What is certain is that, with the telecommunications companies conducting a costly war, the Jets could not have chosen a better time to be selling their TV package.

On radio, it’s expected that the rights will go to either CJOB, former home of the Manitoba Moose, or Sports Radio 1290, which broadcasts minor-league baseball’s Winnipeg Goldeyes. While CJOB would promise the stability of an established station, Radio 1290 could devote almost 24 hours a day to promoting the Jets. Bell Inc., the owner of Radio 1290, recently helped Montreal’s Team 990 wrest the Canadiens’ rights from long-time home CJAD.

NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by spykelee » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:02 am

Centre Court wrote:Jets are starting the search for broadcast partners according to the Globe & Mail:

J-E-T-S

Now that the Winnipeg Jets have a name, a general manager and a head coach, the club can get about the job of selling regional TV and radio rights. NHL sources indicate that the Jets will receive a territorial exemption that includes Manitoba along with parts of northern Ontario and eastern Saskatchewan. It’s believed that the reborn franchise will have a chance to choose from among TSN, Rogers Sportsnet and possibly the new Global/Shaw entity as a partner.

TSN and Sportsnet would likely have to create alternate channels to handle the Jets games – much as TSN did with Montreal Canadiens and Sportsnet has done with the three western NHL clubs. But Global could offer primetime exposure on its stations in the protected territory. What is certain is that, with the telecommunications companies conducting a costly war, the Jets could not have chosen a better time to be selling their TV package.

On radio, it’s expected that the rights will go to either CJOB, former home of the Manitoba Moose, or Sports Radio 1290, which broadcasts minor-league baseball’s Winnipeg Goldeyes. While CJOB would promise the stability of an established station, Radio 1290 could devote almost 24 hours a day to promoting the Jets. Bell Inc., the owner of Radio 1290, recently helped Montreal’s Team 990 wrest the Canadiens’ rights from long-time home CJAD.

that's actually pretty interesting speculation about global and shaw teaming up. Shaw is huge on the west coast, and would be a great partner should they choose to go that route. Whatever way you slice it though, outside of games airing nationally on TSN, whoever else get's the regional rights is irrelevant, as only people in the specific territory are going to get the games. I suspect there's going to be a lot of dissapointed fans outside of that territory who are eager to see what the NHL looks like in the peg but aren't going to get that chance. Unless they subscribe to Center Ice of course.
C Court
RealGM

Post#13 » by C Court » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:27 pm

As an ex-Winnipeger who used to be a Jets season ticket holder, I will be interested to watch the reincarnated Jets again. That said, I won't ante up an extra dime to watch any games that are not available in the Toronto market.

The Habs @ Winnipeg home opener will be a must-watch game.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by spykelee » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:03 am

Centre Court wrote:As an ex-Winnipeger who used to be a Jets season ticket holder, I will be interested to watch the reincarnated Jets again. That said, I won't ante up an extra dime to watch any games that are not available in the Toronto market.

I really think it would be wise for the NHL to NOT put regional restrictions onto the Jets television package, if at least for the first year. All there games should be available nationally this season. There's going to be such a demand to watch games, shutting out 85% of the country (outside of purchasing center ice) from watching it is a poor decision imo...
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:15 pm

spykelee wrote:
Centre Court wrote:As an ex-Winnipeger who used to be a Jets season ticket holder, I will be interested to watch the reincarnated Jets again. That said, I won't ante up an extra dime to watch any games that are not available in the Toronto market.

I really think it would be wise for the NHL to NOT put regional restrictions onto the Jets television package, if at least for the first year. All there games should be available nationally this season. There's going to be such a demand to watch games, shutting out 85% of the country (outside of purchasing center ice) from watching it is a poor decision imo...

The regions have already been set sadly.
C Court
RealGM

Post#16 » by C Court » Sun Jul 3, 2011 1:32 pm

The Jets region includes Manitoba, NW Ontario and E Saskatchewan. I hope to watch 20 or so games live in Toronto.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by spykelee » Mon Jul 4, 2011 3:08 am

That's basically how I thought it would play out if we where going the regional route. Though I thought they may give all of Saskatchewan, as oppose to cutting it in half. Being the one responsible for enforcing those blackouts, and making sure the right people are seeing the appropriate things, I can tell you I'm not terribly ecstatic about having Ontario divided into 3 parts, and Alberta and Saskatchewan both into two... That's a huge, huge pain in the ass for me.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by LittleOzzy » Mon Jul 4, 2011 2:14 pm

Spikelee you work at Sportsnet?

I hate the Ontario regional border right in Belleville, I hate the Sens but that's all I get.

I would love for regional broadcasts to be a thing of the past, I think all Canadian hockey games should be available nationally, they would all still get good numbers.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by spykelee » Tue Jul 5, 2011 3:33 am

LittleOzzy wrote:Spikelee you work at Sportsnet?

I hate the Ontario regional border right in Belleville, I hate the Sens but that's all I get.

I would love for regional broadcasts to be a thing of the past, I think all Canadian hockey games should be available nationally, they would all still get good numbers.

I do. When hockey season starts I always get a number of phone calls from a bunch of regional cable providers saying they should be seeing this or that... It's a big pain in the ass. And it's funny, as I always hated the blackouts prior to getting my job, and now it's my job to enforce them... The Ontario one is a huge pain in the ass, as the Senators are probably the most dilligent club in terms of enforcing them. Makes sense when your competiting against Toronto though.

The regional broadcasts have nothing to do with numbers. It has everything to do with profit, surprise surprise, I know. But like I've mentioned before, the regional restrictions are in place so that anyone who wants to watch all the games, is forced to buy NHL Center Ice. The NHL is the only professional league I can think of that punishes the very fans who support the league, as oppose to reward them.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by LittleOzzy » Tue Jul 5, 2011 12:44 pm

I know several guys that work at Sportsnet in the hockey department, cool to know you work there too.

Return to Winnipeg Jets