ImageImageImageImageImage

Playoffs? Ya Kiddin me? Wizards vs. Bulls Game 1 Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Re: Playoffs? Ya Kiddin me? Wizards vs. Bulls Game 1 Thread 

Post#301 » by dlts20 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:05 pm

doclinkin wrote:I like Gortat's assessment that this team this year commonly prepped hard for the Big Games and was unfocussed for the lesser opponents. He said now they are all big games, and he has a feeling the team will come in focussed to play at that higher bar they have set.

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos ... go-4-18-14

Speaking of coming in focussed, interesting that the wiz are among thetops in the league in 1st quarter offense, and among the bottom in 4th quarter offense. Fortunately Chicago is near the bottom in both, though they are tops in the league in 1st quarter defense, so the fear is that this team can't weather a slow start since they need all their points early to stay in the game late. That said we are top 4 in the league in 4th quarter defense as well, so that' works in our favor.

One thing Chicago does really well is guard the corner three, and prevent PG drives off the P&R. Though John Wall has played well against them despite that. Hopefully If that's an emphasis, it opens up more opportunities for this to happen instead:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGeU_6IEjMw[/youtube]

the funny thing is when we were locking down the Magic a few games ago, their commentators said that we were the #1 rated 4th quarter defense in the NBA
Brenice
Banned User
And1: 464

Post#302 » by Brenice » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:06 pm

payitforward wrote:
My bad -- apologies. Whatever any of us thinks of the Wizards FO or whatever... it's just absolutely great to be in the run-up to a playoff series.

And we have a real chance to win too. I'm going to clear my head and concentrate on that.

GO WIZARDS!!

That has been my stance since the Gortat acquisition. That and my opinion that Beal and especially Wall don't need to wait until 2015 to cut their playoff "teeth".

I also like the opponent. I hope the scrappiness of the Bulls rubs off on the Wizards.

Next step, 50 wins as they learn to finish without giving up leads like was done too much this season.
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#303 » by pineappleheadindc » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:14 pm

JMichael tweets that Nene will get the start tomorrow. If he plays a physical burly game, that will help the Wizards 3 point shooters, as he's one guy who can demand a double team.

Go Wizards!

:nod:
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
dlts20
RealGM

Post#304 » by dlts20 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:25 pm

I actually dont know if I like this. Im definitely not against it but if he were going to start then I wouldve liked to see our guys get atleast 1 game with that lineup before throwing it in on the run in the playoffs, especially with Nene playing his best ball. With that being said, Nene is definetely a starter.

This is the great part in all of this. This playoff game will be the 1st game all year where we have our best roster. Even when we struggled early to mid part of the season or played average, it was strictly due to the bench. I remember seeing the stats saying that the Wall-Beal-Ariza-Nene-Gortat lineup was the #4 rated starting lineup in the league. In the whole league. Thats when the big 2 in the East were dominanting and the West was still the West. It was offset by us having by far the worst bench in the league.

Now we have Dre-Web-Porter-Book-Gooden-Al. and you can basically add Beal to that group. I think Witt watched the tape of Nene helping us so much against the Bulls. I think he also feels that its much easier to manage Nene's minutes as a starter because he can play the 1st & 3rd and then you bring him back in whenever you want in the 4th. The best thing about this move is that I think it really helps beal. He'll get a ton more of good looks with Nene on the floor. Might neturalize Wall some or take his aggressiveness away but we can always change later if so needed. For now this is great. It also lets Dre run the show on the 2nd unit. I want him to post DJ up all day instead of worrying abut giving Nene touches.

Its go time, boys. Lets get it. BTW, if we win this series, its the perfect tuneup in the world for the Pacers who are very similar to the Bulls
dlts20
RealGM

Post#305 » by dlts20 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:49 pm

pineappleheadindc wrote:JMichael tweets that Nene will get the start tomorrow. If he plays a physical burly game, that will help the Wizards 3 point shooters, as he's one guy who can demand a double team.

Go Wizards!

:nod:

now that I read it, is he sure or assuming? Usually I would trust reports but jmichael is just enough of an annoying idiot to get things wrong
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#306 » by nuposse04 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:52 pm

Nene starting is ok, I actually think it'll be ok for the subs given CHI's bench personnel. Booker/AL is an undersized backup combo but I think they'd provide the energy we need from our 2nd unit. Booker would finally have room to operate 1 on 1 playing with a floor spacer like Harrington. Booker could also do what he needs to do on the offensive glass.

Probably sub out Nene early with Beal.

Bah, why can't the game be today!!!
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 896

Post#307 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:06 pm

Brenice wrote:
payitforward wrote:
My bad -- apologies. Whatever any of us thinks of the Wizards FO or whatever... it's just absolutely great to be in the run-up to a playoff series.

And we have a real chance to win too. I'm going to clear my head and concentrate on that.

GO WIZARDS!!

That has been my stance since the Gortat acquisition. That and my opinion that Beal and especially Wall don't need to wait until 2015 to cut their playoff "teeth".

I also like the opponent. I hope the scrappiness of the Bulls rubs off on the Wizards.

Next step, 50 wins as they learn to finish without giving up leads like was done too much this season.

Agree, I like the Bulls as their 1st opponent to really set the tone and physicality of the playoffs. I think it will help the team focus and play the right way, truly battle every possession, step up, have each other's back, and really come together as a team. As long as they avoid injuries in the process, I think the Bulls as a team and Chicago as a city are a great introduction to the playoffs for our young players. It will be a good educational experience for this team moving forward.

Wizards in 5 very hard fought and close games.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,152

Post#308 » by AFM » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:10 pm

Wiz in 4!!! Let's get it!!!!

We all gonna dougie in the streets!!!!!! Let's get it!!!!! Ayy!!!!
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#309 » by JWizmentality » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:03 pm

Nene starting...God yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Meanwhile, Raps getting punked. Couldn't happen to a more deserving fan base.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#310 » by DCZards » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:12 pm

payitforward wrote:
1.You, Zards, think he'd like to play in his hometown? But he's said, explicitly and repeatedly, that he doesn't want to play in his hometown.

2. High profile city? Meh. LA, NY, Chicago, SF, Paris > those are high profile cities. Maybe KD will start an NBA franchise in Paris?

3. Concern about family and hangers on -- that is something KD himself brought up; I don't find it hard to understand at all. It's easier to manage that hubbub, people from the past whom you like but all of whom you can't be busy pleasing, when you fly in every once in a while.

PIF, I wouldn't put too much stock in what KD says at this point. I'd expect him to downplay leaving OKC. I'm sure he doesn't want to stir up any controversy regarding his future plans.

Of the three US cities you named, I'll give you LA, NY and Chicago as higher profile cities. SF...beautiful city but not nearly as high profile as the Nation's Capitol, imo. And none of these other cities have the benefit of being KD's hometown.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#311 » by WallToWall » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:17 pm

Been too long since we've been in the playoffs. Looking forward to this. Go Wiz!
Youheardme90
Sophomore
And1: 25

Post#312 » by Youheardme90 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:23 pm

JWizmentality wrote:Nene starting...God yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Meanwhile, Raps getting punked. Couldn't happen to a more deserving fan base.

Toronto is going crazy right now! You would have thought they made the finals. There are also so many people active on their forum, jesus christ!
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#313 » by Illmatic12 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:24 pm

JWizmentality wrote:Nene starting...God yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Meanwhile, Raps getting punked. Couldn't happen to a more deserving fan base.

They don't match up well with Brooklyn at ALL

We know the Bulls will play D, but at least we can assume they won't score on us much. But the Nets actually have the offensive talent to run away from the Raps
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#314 » by Illmatic12 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:25 pm

Youheardme90 wrote:

Toronto is going crazy right now! You would have thought they made the finals. There are also so many people active on their forum, jesus christ!

Their crowd is pretty damn awesome. I'm afraid to hear Verizon Center's playoff crowd compared to them
dlts20
RealGM

Post#315 » by dlts20 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:35 pm

hope Wall doesnt go into one of those modes where he gets tight and starts missing easy layups Then hanging his head afteward. Then after that he will get right to the rim and still not shoot it. If Chi is going to stay home on the shooters then Nene & Gortat have to show a lil range on the J and Wall has to take advantage of there bigs in one on one situations which doesnt always mean pulling up for the J
dlts20
RealGM

Post#316 » by dlts20 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:35 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
Youheardme90 wrote:

Their crowd is pretty damn awesome. I'm afraid to hear Verizon Center's playoff crowd compared to them

Nah, I think we will show out for the playoffs
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#317 » by barelyawake » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:57 pm

DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:
1.You, Zards, think he'd like to play in his hometown? But he's said, explicitly and repeatedly, that he doesn't want to play in his hometown.

2. High profile city? Meh. LA, NY, Chicago, SF, Paris > those are high profile cities. Maybe KD will start an NBA franchise in Paris?

3. Concern about family and hangers on -- that is something KD himself brought up; I don't find it hard to understand at all. It's easier to manage that hubbub, people from the past whom you like but all of whom you can't be busy pleasing, when you fly in every once in a while.

PIF, I wouldn't put too much stock in what KD says at this point. I'd expect him to downplay leaving OKC. I'm sure he doesn't want to stir up any controversy regarding his future plans.

Of the three US cities you named, I'll give you LA, NY and Chicago as higher profile cities. SF...beautiful city but not nearly as high profile as the Nation's Capitol, imo. And none of these other cities have the benefit of being KD's hometown.

Hometown and home to his close friend Wall who has publically stated will actively petition him to come home.

San Fransicso doesn't have that.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#318 » by Illmatic12 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:28 pm

I am so glad we're not playing Pierce and the Nets.. they clearly have another gear for the playoffs, the Bulls don't
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#319 » by closg00 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:20 pm

Trench warfare, the team that wins the half-court battle will win the series.
Hypnotizer
Rookie
And1: 265

Post#320 » by Hypnotizer » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:39 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:I am so glad we're not playing Pierce and the Nets.. they clearly have another gear for the playoffs, the Bulls don't

Raps don't have good frontcourt. We could destroy Nets again.

Return to Washington Wizards