ImageImageImageImageImage

Media Day/Training camp thread 2016

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Media Day/Training camp thread 2016 

Post#1 » by nuposse04 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:08 pm

If mods feel like this can be merged into another thread, then plz feel free to do so. Otherwise a few take aways,

-The Wall/Beal stuff seems madly overblown
-Everyone, especially Gortat seems to appreciate a more communicative coach
-I don't quite get why the SF is "up for grabs" yet the SG spot isn't....
-Porter has added 7-8 lbs of muscle this year. Said he is trying to focus on lateral quickness to. I think he might be in store for a very good year. Which means we will probably trade him stupidly.
-I find it amusing Trey thinks he didn't get a shot in Utah... they were injured as hell... he absolutely had a shot. :crazy:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Here is to futility everybody! :beer:
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Re: Media Day/Training camp thread 2016 

Post#2 » by keynote » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:01 pm

Wall went from a flagship signature shoe at Reebok, to a mid-level signature shoe at Adidas, to a sneaker FA wearing Jordans, to...

Read on Twitter

...generic role-player Nikes. I guess it's better than wearing Kyrie's shoe. Still: things aren't trending in the right direction for him.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#3 » by montestewart » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:08 pm

nuposse04 wrote:I don't quite get why the SF is "up for grabs" yet the SG spot isn't....

Politics. Think how silly they'd look giving Beal a max contract while admitting he hadn't won the starters position. I guess the "SF up for grabs" is supposed to come off as motivation for KO (or Sato?) but it seems pretty minor league.

Wall looks pretty beefy.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#4 » by nate33 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:23 pm

Read on Twitter

That's a lofty goal indeed, given his defense last year. I hope this is more than just lip-service.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#5 » by queridiculo » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:46 pm

Porter looks like he's put a few pounds on his frame. Him and Satoransky are probably the two players I'm looking forward to watching the most.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#6 » by nate33 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:02 pm

queridiculo wrote:Porter looks like he's put a few pounds on his frame. Him and Satoransky are probably the two players I'm looking forward to watching the most.

It's hard to tell. Otto has always had some decent bulk in his arms and shoulders (for someone with such a long wingspan). He just has sticks for legs. Hopefully, most of that extra 8 pounds is in his lower body.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#7 » by payitforward » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:14 pm

nate33 wrote:
queridiculo wrote:Porter looks like he's put a few pounds on his frame. Him and Satoransky are probably the two players I'm looking forward to watching the most.

It's hard to tell. Otto has always had some decent bulk in his arms and shoulders (for someone with such a long wingspan). He just has sticks for legs. Hopefully, most of that extra 8 pounds is in his lower body.

The 8 lbs may simply be sponge rehydration. Or, he may have meant that he'd put a few pounds onto Wall's frame -- treat him to dinner, etc.

But, we have lost weight at the Coach position -- this cannot be denied!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#8 » by payitforward » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:17 pm

nuposse04 wrote:...-I find it amusing Trey thinks he didn't get a shot in Utah... they were injured as hell... he absolutely had a shot.

Kid's played nearly 6000 minutes in 3 seasons. What's he talking about?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#9 » by nuposse04 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:27 pm

payitforward wrote:
nate33 wrote:

The 8 lbs may simply be sponge rehydration. Or, he may have meant that he'd put a few pounds onto Wall's frame -- treat him to dinner, etc.

But, we have lost weight at the Coach position -- this cannot be denied!

Read on Twitter

His arms definitely look bigger.

I also saw a tweet from BF that cited he gained said 7-8 lbs. So it seems visually apparent to me, and I wouldn't really peg porter for much hyperbole.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#10 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:25 am

What was Gortat supposed to say? "This coach doesn't seem like a crusty SOB?
Bye bye Beal.
Da ThRONe
Veteran
And1: 1,886

Post#11 » by Da ThRONe » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:18 pm

payitforward wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:...-I find it amusing Trey thinks he didn't get a shot in Utah... they were injured as hell... he absolutely had a shot.

I think what Burke was trying to say is that he wasn't able to be in a system that allows him to play to his strengths. Especially last year he got into Snyder's dog house and couldn't get out once the team traded for Mack. Trey is a more traditional PG and that's what made him special in college. In Utah there was no need for that type of player at the point. They need more of a 3 and D guy two things Trey struggled with and so he was a bad fit for the starters. So the Jazz brought a guy off the bench struggling with his shot most his young career to be the scorer off the bench half way through 14-15 and all of 15-16. Which he had plenty success early 15-16 until the only other bench scoring threat went down in Alec Burks. Burks and Burke was a top 3 scoring bench back court when healthy and Burke was averaging around 50/40/90 at the time. But when Burks went down all the bench scoring pressure feel on Burke and his percentages went down significantly.

I know just looking at the number and Burke flaws it easy to be turned off but if he can find some consistency I think this is going to be a home run for the Wizards especially with Wall coming off of those two knee procedures. I think coach Brooks will allow Burke to be more of a traditional PG. I'm predicting a big season for Burke potential MIP of the year or even 6th man of the year type of season for Trey.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#12 » by FAH1223 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:52 pm

Otto's gained weight... how that will translate, we'll see. He should have a good year, he's playing for his 2nd contract which he'll probably get by the Wizards next summer since Brooks loves him some Otto.

Trey Burke is going to be terrible.

I don't anticipate any jump with Beal's production.

Really interested to see Sato's transition to the NBA game. He played well in Spain and that's grown man ball there... plus Sato has also gained good weight on his frame since 2012.

Mahinmi will be good off the bench or finishing games for defense and rebounding. Him and Gortat playing 24 minutes each or one playing 28 and the other 20? I guess it'll be played by ear...

I don't anticipate this team going to the playoffs. It'll be a high end lottery team. The 2017 draft will be better than this past year's, at least.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#13 » by Dark Faze » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:57 pm

Yeah I'll give Otto credit he looks bigger.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,161

Post#14 » by AFM » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:14 pm

payitforward wrote:

He didn't have a shot. As in, he doesn't have a jump shot. Seems pretty accurate.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#15 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:05 pm

Dark Faze wrote:Yeah I'll give Otto credit he looks bigger.

He definitely looks bigger in the arms/shoulders - good to see. But we'll see if it stays. Players (basketball and football) typically add muscle mass in the offseason but don't keep it on because it's much harder to do weight work during the season - when you're worn out.

I'm going to give Burke a shot (making me the Wizard of Oz? See what I did there?) at least before writing him off. He was an outstanding college player, and point guards can take several years to adjust to the NBA. I'm convinced he does have the talent and skills needed to make it, and he is better physically than given credit for. All I am saying... is give Burke a chance.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#16 » by Dat2U » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:11 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:Yeah I'll give Otto credit he looks bigger.

He definitely looks bigger in the arms/shoulders - good to see. But we'll see if it stays. Players (basketball and football) typically add muscle mass in the offseason but don't keep it on because it's much harder to do weight work during the season - when you're worn out.

I'm going to give Burke a shot (making me the Wizard of Oz? See what I did there?) at least before writing him off. He was an outstanding college player, and point guards can take several years to adjust to the NBA. I'm convinced he does have the talent and skills needed to make it, and he is better physically than given credit for. All I am saying... is give Burke a chance.

Well considering Burke is basically being handed the backup PG job we really have no choice but to hope for the best. I don't share your optimism however because the limited physical profile & streaky-at-best jumper is a bad combo to have in today's NBA at the PG position.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#17 » by Wizardspride » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:20 pm

Read on Twitter
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#18 » by Wizardspride » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:21 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#19 » by 80sballboy » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:08 am

If Gortat didn''t like Witt, wait until Brooks starts playing Mahinmi in crunch time due to his defense. Either step up on the defensive end and play tougher, or STFU. :D
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#20 » by Dark Faze » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:03 pm

I'm still not that sure about how good Mahinmi is/isn't defensively. I know he's at least okay, but honestly I was never impressed watching him with the eye test. Advanced stats look good but I don't think he's a lock to be some great defender for us.

Return to Washington Wizards