ImageImageImageImageImage

Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

IS IT TIME TO FIRE ERNIE GRUNFELD?

1) Yes, I believe it is time for EG to go now.
69%
2) Ted should let him go at the end of the season.
21%
3) No, Ted needs to give him more time..(DESPITE THE FACT ERNIE HAS BEEN GM SINCE 2003)
10%

Total votes: 42

montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,722

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#691 » by montestewart » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:43 am

Benjammin wrote:I look forward to a day when someone's children won't have the need for this thread.

A time when Grunfeld is nothing more than a tale parents tell to make their children behave.

"Eat your spinach or the Grunfeld will make another trade."
TGW
RealGM
And1: 6,023

Post#692 » by TGW » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:33 am

montestewart wrote:
Benjammin wrote:I look forward to a day when someone's children won't have the need for this thread.

A time when Grunfeld is nothing more than a tale parents tell to make their children behave.

:lol:
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,594

Post#693 » by closg00 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:41 am

montestewart wrote:

:rofl:
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 8,040

Post#694 » by payitforward » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:28 pm

montestewart wrote:

HOF post!!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,529

Post#695 » by doclinkin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:58 am

FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 7,011

Post#696 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:42 pm

So is the only way Ernie gets canned is if this team gets in the lottery?

A 4-0 sweep at the hands of Miami in the 1st round makes him get another 2 year contract, right?
closg00
RealGM

Post#697 » by closg00 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:49 pm

FAH1223 wrote:So is the only way Ernie gets canned is if this team gets in the lottery?

A 4-0 sweep at the hands of Miami in the 1st round makes him get another 2 year contract, right?

Sometime between Wall's new contract and the start of the season, Ted will declare that the Wizards are heading in the right direction and Easy Ernie himself will have a new contract.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 7,011

Post#698 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:09 pm

closg00 wrote:
Sometime between Wall's new contract and the start of the season, Ted will declare that the Wizards are heading in the right direction and Easy Ernie himself will have a new contract.

:x
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,722

Post#699 » by montestewart » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:12 pm

FAH1223 wrote:So is the only way Ernie gets canned is if this team gets in the lottery?

I think a gutsy run for 9th seed says "You don't switch horses on the Titanic."
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 8,040

Post#700 » by payitforward » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:48 pm

montestewart wrote:

I think a gutsy run for 9th seed says "You don't switch horses on the Titanic."

Some people don't understand how important continuity is.

Once you finally achieve continuity, all you have left to do is flip the switch from continually bad to continually good.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,377

Post#701 » by Kanyewest » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:03 am

A John Wall injury could give EG a "second chance". Or 3rd or 4th?
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#702 » by hands11 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:10 am

Wow.

I hadn't given much thought to EG getting extended or not and what it would take this year.

I think in part, Ted is judging him based on how he is executing his plan. If Ted thinks he is executing well, then I think that would count for a lot. I don't think injuries would affect that. There is lots Ted can see that we can't regarding how things are organized and how they are executed.

Webster seems to really like the franchise. Beal seems happy. Blair said he was interested in coming here, right ? While Webster and Blair aren't the biggest names out there, its a sign things are getting better.

Now what would an extension look like ? Another two years ? Hard to see him getting one year or more then two.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#703 » by hands11 » Thu Aug 1, 2013 2:26 am

@daldridgetnt

No early outs in Wall deal--straight five years, $80M. Owner Ted Leonsis pushed to get deal done, just as he extended Caps' Ovechkin early..

Words can't explain how blessed and happy I am! I want to thank my owner Mr Ted Leonsis, GM Ernie Grunfeld and the whole @WashWizards staff!
5:27 PM - 31 Jul 2013
closg00
RealGM

Post#704 » by closg00 » Thu Aug 1, 2013 12:08 pm

Ernie will need another year or two to see what he can do with the Okariza expirings and cap space. One year as a playoff team, then a reset. Can't wait for the resigning presser.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 786

Post#705 » by LyricalRico » Thu Aug 1, 2013 12:17 pm

closg00 wrote:Ernie will need another year or two to see what he can do with the Okariza expirings and cap space. One year as a playoff team, then a reset. Can't wait for the resigning presser.

:nod:

Yep, if we make the playoffs he's sticking around for a while, as any GM in that position probably would.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,253

Post#706 » by Dat2U » Thu Aug 1, 2013 2:09 pm

Only one question remains, does Ernie get extended before the season starts or does he enter the final year of his deal under lame duck status?

Does Teddy reward Ernie for all of his work without seeing the results or does he leave Ernie & the entire front office spinning in the wind until we actually see what this team can do? I hope it's at least the latter but I'm afraid Ted may be ready to claim victory and reward Ernie before the Wizards ever step on the court next season.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 4,020

Post#707 » by tontoz » Thu Aug 1, 2013 3:58 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
closg00 wrote:Ernie will need another year or two to see what he can do with the Okariza expirings and cap space. One year as a playoff team, then a reset. Can't wait for the resigning presser.

:nod:

Yep, if we make the playoffs he's sticking around for a while, as any GM in that position probably would.

No GM with EG's record would still have a job, nor should they.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#708 » by Ruzious » Thu Aug 1, 2013 4:23 pm

Dat2U wrote:Only one question remains, does Ernie get extended before the season starts or does he enter the final year of his deal under lame duck status?

Does Teddy reward Ernie for all of his work without seeing the results or does he leave Ernie & the entire front office spinning in the wind until we actually see what this team can do? I hope it's at least the latter but I'm afraid Ted may be ready to claim victory and reward Ernie before the Wizards ever step on the court next season.

Ernie certainly worked hard the last 2 weeks negotiating Wall's contract. That was some serious negotiating - back and forth and such. Yessireebob. And he didn't just settle on the first PG he could think of and over-pay before going on his semi-monthly 2 week vacation. The man is a workaholic and a master strateegerist - and has been an inspiration to the entire organization - leading it to untold sucksess.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,232

Post#709 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Aug 1, 2013 4:28 pm

Dat2U wrote:Only one question remains, does Ernie get extended before the season starts or does he enter the final year of his deal under lame duck status?

Other organizations that should reward their GM:

--GS for example, fired Keith Smart, dipped down to 23 wins under Jackson in year one but with a very young lineup, but they doubled their wins the next season. Seth Curry had a pretty nice run in the playoffs.

--Houston gutted their team and emerged with James Harden and now Dwight Howard. They rebuilt brilliantly.

--Brooklyn managed to snag a couple HOFers to go along with Lopez and Deron Williams.

--Atlanta added Millsap at a bargain, after drafting a couple of studs, Nogueira and Schroeder. Their team payroll is much less than the Wizards. (Cap guys, you know better than I).

And, there's the Wizards ....

Last year was a year where Webster exceeded expectations greatly. Beal found his shot. Wall had a tremendous March, where he hit 10-22 threes. (Check the other months' three point shooting for Wall). He played with confidence. Okafor bounced back and played better than he has in years. Ariza's a solid player. The Wizards added length and rangy perimeter players who defend the three and who hit the three. Washington went years without having any players defend like Temple is capable of doing. Wall got a lot better defensively (even though some guys still gave him fits). LAST SEASON EG's moves generally worked out well. Wittman has been a better coach than Flip Saunders. Last year the Wizards got much better defensively, and Wall matured under Randy Wittman. Health seemed to be the only drawback.

Oh, but I have a sick feeling about last year's positive moves. I can't stand this GM. I think if he stays this team will peak at the 45-48 win mark the could achieve this season. The young backcourt is solid but the front court needs shaking up. Okafor is in a contract year, as is Ariza. Nene's health is tenuous. It's hard to feel great about the long term, even if the wins should have a sharp up turn this season. One injury to Wall changes things. Same with Okafor and Nene.

We shall see what happens. I expect an EG contract just like Wall just got his fat contract -- before the wins.

Ted Leonsis rewarded Wall before the fact and I think he won't even wait for the playoff run that foreseeably should occur.
Bye bye Beal.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#710 » by Nivek » Thu Aug 1, 2013 5:12 pm

Ruzious wrote:

Ernie certainly worked hard the last 2 weeks negotiating Wall's contract. That was some serious negotiating - back and forth and such. Yessireebob. And he didn't just settle on the first PG he could think of and over-pay before going on his semi-monthly 2 week vacation. The man is a workaholic and a master strateegerist - and has been an inspiration to the entire organization - leading it to untold sucksess.

The negotiations went something like this:

ERNIE: John, we'd like to offer you the maximum salary on a 5-year contract.

WALL: I don't know. I deserve it...

LEONSIS: You've certainly earned it!

DAN FEGAN: Don't interrupt.

LEONSIS AND ERNIE (in unison): Yes sir.

WALL: As I was saying... Obviously I deserve a maximum deal, but to stay with the Wizards? (looks at Fegan) Can't you do any better?

FEGAN: John, this is the most they can pay you. It's the most anyone can pay you.

WALL (sighing): I should have hired Falk.

ERNIE: Please sign the contract.

LEONSIS: PLEASE! We'll market you as the leader of our next big three. That worked so well last time.

WALL glances out the window as Ernie checks his watch.

ERNIE (whispers to LEONSIS): This is taking longer than I thought. I have a massage...

LEONSIS drops to his knees. ERNIE joins him on the floor. They shower Wall's feet with kisses.

ERNIE and LEONSIS: Please sign. Please oh please oh please oh please...

WALL kicks them away and stands.

WALL: Fine. I'll sign.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.

Return to Washington Wizards