A New Look For Gil?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

A New Look For Gil? 

Post#1 » by dlts20 » Sat May 15, 2010 5:11 pm

IDK if this is true all the way but I got this from another Wiz site:

After serving his half way house sentnece, gil is happily back at home. Rumor has it that he is sporting a bald head and facial hair, and will were a headband when the season starts in the fall of 2010. Of course everybody knows he's wearing number 6 as well.
He also is planning something with under armour real soon. Should be interesting.

It was on a hoop web site, but was leaked and taken down. Cant remember the site though.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Re: A New Look For Gil? 

Post#2 » by dlts20 » Sat May 15, 2010 5:12 pm

I can see it now. He's coming back with a brand new attitude. No more playing games. He knows that not only is this his defining moment but he also knows that his career is in the 2nd phase and its almost over. He's starting to understand that when its all said and done and he looks back, he's going to have to ask himself did he do everything possible to be the best he can be. Right now the answer is NO. Some people will say for other reasons but for me is for not being serious enough & not trying on defense. I think he will be serious and try to be the team leader for the 1st time while also playing better defense, "atleast in key situations" like the 4th quarter & taking the challange of the best perimiter guy
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#3 » by MJG » Sat May 15, 2010 11:16 pm

Because it's worked so well for Baron Davis!
sfam
Assistant Coach
And1: 548

Post#4 » by sfam » Sun May 16, 2010 12:40 am

I'm not seeing team leader from Gil. Truly, I'd just be happy for a seemingly professional-like basketball player. No more shoes as toilets, guns as pranks, etc...
AceDegenerate
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#5 » by AceDegenerate » Sun May 16, 2010 2:26 am

Gilbert can still score 30PPG in this league.
sfam
Assistant Coach

Post#6 » by sfam » Sun May 16, 2010 2:46 am

Krizko Zero wrote:Gilbert can still score 30PPG in this league.

I agree that this is still a possibility. GIl could do this previously. I just don't think that makes him a leader.
P'Oed
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#7 » by P'Oed » Sun May 16, 2010 3:41 am

Gilbert Muhammad Hakeem Arenas
MJG
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by MJG » Sun May 16, 2010 4:06 am

Arenas has never scored 30 PPG in this league, and it's been four years since he's even been close. And even if he can score 30 PPG, would we want him to? That makes me think the team isn't going in the right direction.
AceDegenerate
Banned User

Post#9 » by AceDegenerate » Sun May 16, 2010 4:56 am

MJG wrote:

Arenas has never scored 30 PPG in this league, and it's been four years since he's even been close. And even if he can score 30 PPG, would we want him to? That makes me think the team isn't going in the right direction.

Come again?

Arenas had a career year during the 2005–06 season in which he averaged 29.3 points, which ranked fourth among the scoring leaders

Arenas was voted as a first-time starter for the 2007 NBA All-Star game for the Eastern Conference, edging out Vince Carter by a slight margin, with 1,454,166 votes to Carter's 1,451,156.[10] At the time he was averaging 29.7 points per game, second in the league.[10]

Gilbert Arenas can still score 30PPG in this league. Like he did in 2005-06. I don't care how many years removed he is from this feat, how many games removed is he? He's missed 3 seasons. Gilbert is a natural scorer and the only way any team is going in the right direction with him is to allow him to be one. Gil get can you 22/8 as well, however the team would be much better served with someone else making it they're primary concern to distribute and involve others, while Gilbert can do what he does best.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#10 » by Hoopalotta » Sun May 16, 2010 5:36 am

Krizko Zero wrote:Gilbert is a natural scorer and the only way any team is going in the right direction with him is to allow him to be one. Gil get can you 22/8 as well, however the team would be much better served with someone else making it they're primary concern to distribute and involve others, while Gilbert can do what he does best.

I do agree with the theory there, but it seems that the main point of Gil scoring 30 would be just to show that he can. I'm hoping that we do run him primarily as a scorer, but still rely on him 'a bit' sparingly as far as game in-game out, quarter-to-quarter in an 82 game season. I'm seeing is as more being a matter of timing as anything.

I'm seeing best case for team success being more like Gil as the first option, but for around 36 minutes and something more like 24-ish PPG. We typically just execute the offense and we're generally going to more iso scoring in the last ten seconds of the shot clock or in the fourth quarter. Obviously if we're talking about taking someone off the dribble and getting into the lane for a layup for a foul, that's always great, but if it doesn't work out, better to just pass out and trust the offense than pop a 20 foot pull up with 15 seconds left. I mention the iso scoring and the pull ups simply because 30ppg is going to demand a fair bit of that. With Gil, Shaun and Dray being patient we should be able to move the ball pretty well and get nice shots in rhythm pretty consistently.

Anyway, then you've got Gil expending his efforts as the bailout guy (shot clock) and the closer and hopefully he'd be fresh come the end of the season (playoffs?). That seems the best use to me.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#11 » by dangermouse » Sun May 16, 2010 9:29 am

if only there was a photo...

all i can picture is a thinner baron davis with a cheeky grin.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
MJG
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by MJG » Sun May 16, 2010 2:04 pm

Krizko Zero wrote:
MJG wrote:

Come again?

Arenas had a career year during the 2005–06 season in which he averaged 29.3 points, which ranked fourth among the scoring leaders

Arenas was voted as a first-time starter for the 2007 NBA All-Star game for the Eastern Conference, edging out Vince Carter by a slight margin, with 1,454,166 votes to Carter's 1,451,156.[10] At the time he was averaging 29.7 points per game, second in the league.[10]

Gilbert Arenas can still score 30PPG in this league. Like he did in 2005-06. I don't care how many years removed he is from this feat, how many games removed is he? He's missed 3 seasons. Gilbert is a natural scorer and the only way any team is going in the right direction with him is to allow him to be one. Gil get can you 22/8 as well, however the team would be much better served with someone else making it they're primary concern to distribute and involve others, while Gilbert can do what he does best.

I'm not sure what the "Come again?" is for, since your quotes say exactly what I said, that he his career best was < 30 PPG, and that it's been years since he hit that mark.

I don't think Arenas has to go down to 22 per game, but I'd be a lot more comfortable with 24-25 than 29-30. The latter makes me think that either [a] he's forcing things, whether because he doesn't trust his teammates, or is trying to prove he's still an elite player, or so on, or [b] the rest of the team is so offensively challenged that they are leaning on him too heavily. Either of those options means that the team has a fundamental problem that stunts the final potential of our rebuild. I suppose the disagreement here is that you believe there is a [c], that he will simply come back ready to play 40-42 MPG at his absolute prime level, when he was able to effortlessly hit 28-29 points with solid efficiency and his teammates still getting theirs as well. I personally feel that's about an 11 out of 10 on the optimism scale, but hey, if it happens then the team is well ahead of the curve on the rebuild, so I won't be complaining. Me, I'd be ecstatic if he could give us say 24/7 with a good three point and free throw percentage in 36 MPG. I'd throw in a modicum of defensive discipline as well, but then I'd be the one at 11 out of 10 on the optimism scale.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#13 » by hands11 » Sun May 16, 2010 2:10 pm

sfam wrote:I'm not seeing team leader from Gil. Truly, I'd just be happy for a seemingly professional-like basketball player. No more shoes as toilets, guns as pranks, etc...

Oh, if we could have just gotten a bandwagon going earlier like we did with EFJ.

It is interesting to read comments like this now as the standard. There was a day you would get jumped for pointing out that Gilertology was a foolish road to no where. All the predicting 50 in a playoff game, blogging, etc. In a way, Gil was a victim of press build up the same as James. But like James, in the end, you have to get something done on the court in the playoffs or your not the best.

For me, I don't really care about the physical make over stuff. Nick has been trying different hair styles for years. So what. I kind of figured he would change his number like Dray which he did.

I just want the mental makeover. But if he wants to go shaved head, bring it on. Just make sure you realize it's an inside job.
AceDegenerate
Banned User

Post#14 » by AceDegenerate » Sun May 16, 2010 2:17 pm

I don't recall a single time from 2005 until Gilbert's injury in 2007 where it felt like Gilbert was forcing anything. The team was riding high in 1st place @ the All Star break like we all remember. Gilbert was scoring 29.7ppg, sorry that doesn't equate to 30PPG is some people's book. We also had 2 other 20PPG scorers on the same team. How was Gilbert forcing anything? When was the last time a team had someone score on the cusp on 30PPG and also had 2 other players score 20PPG?

I don't see why anybody wants to scale back Gilbert's scoring. He is a SCORER, and he can do it with the BEST in this league. Nobody wants Kevin Durant to score 25PPG, Kobe or LeBron the same. I agree that Gilbert shouldn't carry the entire scoring burden on himself, and nobody said he should. 30PPG is doable within the confines of an offense, just like Durant does it and just like Kobe does it. Gil was an incredibly efficient scorer when you factored his 3PT shooting in.

Nevertheless, Gilbert was scoring 25.5PPG the year we went to the 2nd Round, I gather this is more along the lines of the Gilbert most people want to see then? I don't care if he wins the scoring title, I don't care if he scores 27ppg or 29.7ppg, it's all 30 to me. I just believe in his scoring ability and think he should be set free to do what he does best.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#15 » by hands11 » Sun May 16, 2010 2:19 pm

MJG wrote:

Your right. No we don't.

Build up team play during the year. Help develop players you will need at the end of the year.
Focus on closing out quarter, halves, and games.
Then when the playoffs hit, bring it up to 30 when needed.

Gil at his best is going to be like a mix of Wade, Kidd and Nash.

He has a lot of weapons. He just needs to mature enough mentally to know when to do what.
If he is focusing more on D, he will be using up some of that offensive energy.

I'd be very happy with 18-20pts, 7-8 assists, 3 rebounds, 1 steal and getting to the line 4-6 times a game.

This leaves room for Dray to continue to develop. And others.

We should play it like SA and Boston, not Cleveland. The regular season is for getting a top 4 seed and developing chemistry while staying healthy for the playoffs. Something EFJ never understood.
go'stags
Sixth Man
And1: 29

Post#16 » by go'stags » Sun May 16, 2010 6:04 pm

Krizko Zero wrote:I don't recall a single time from 2005 until Gilbert's injury in 2007 where it felt like Gilbert was forcing anything. The team was riding high in 1st place @ the All Star break like we all remember. Gilbert was scoring 29.7ppg, sorry that doesn't equate to 30PPG is some people's book. We also had 2 other 20PPG scorers on the same team. How was Gilbert forcing anything? When was the last time a team had someone score on the cusp on 30PPG and also had 2 other players score 20PPG?

I don't see why anybody wants to scale back Gilbert's scoring. He is a SCORER, and he can do it with the BEST in this league. Nobody wants Kevin Durant to score 25PPG, Kobe or LeBron the same. I agree that Gilbert shouldn't carry the entire scoring burden on himself, and nobody said he should. 30PPG is doable within the confines of an offense, just like Durant does it and just like Kobe does it. Gil was an incredibly efficient scorer when you factored his 3PT shooting in.

Nevertheless, Gilbert was scoring 25.5PPG the year we went to the 2nd Round, I gather this is more along the lines of the Gilbert most people want to see then? I don't care if he wins the scoring title, I don't care if he scores 27ppg or 29.7ppg, it's all 30 to me. I just believe in his scoring ability and think he should be set free to do what he does best.

Great post.

I also believe that we are at our best when Gil is in attack mode. That best "wildcard" we have is Gilbert feeling confident and constantly being in attack mode. Thats the thing that makes us special. He might not average 30 ppg, but he is capable. I think we will have better offensive depth than in the past, but even still, Gil needs to be attacking.

It will help if Livingston is starting, too. I was never really in the camp that says Gil should play SG, but I'm confident him and Gil could work, especially in the new offense towards the end of the year (which was made with Gilbert in mind).

It's just a bad philosophy to make players try and fit into a certain mold, rather than put them in a position to succeed, and especially with your best players IMO. Gil is a natural scorer, let him attack.
LyricalRico wrote:
Speaking of giant penises, what's up with Bobby Simmons?.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#17 » by miller31time » Sun May 16, 2010 7:02 pm

Add another supporter of "attack-mode Gil".

I said it a while ago back when Gilbert was talking about being more of a passer. I just didn't understand it and thought it'd be disastrous. Arenas is one of the best scorers in the league and he does it efficiently. He is NOT one of the best passers in the league and commits a lot of turnovers when he's in "pass-mode". Logically, having an efficient offense is a good thing and we seem to have one when Gil does what he does best - score. His problem has never been offense and has always been defense which is why I was particularly annoyed when he announced his focus was to be a better passer and not a better defender. I don't know if he just doesn't realize he's a horrendous defender but if that's the case, there's a whole 'nother problem.

But back to the point, a passive Gilbert is like a 6-cylinder Mustang....
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by Hoopalotta » Mon May 17, 2010 2:37 am

I guess I just see 24-25 PPG as being, well, rather a lot.

Seems to me like that's what attack mode would look like in 36 minutes on a team that runs the offense as there were only seven guys in the entire league who hit that level, one of whom was Monta Ellis and his 300 shot attempts. I mean, the 11th highest scorer in the whole league was Joe Johnson at 21 PPG (taking into account guys who played enough games to qualify). And then Bosh, Granger, Ellis and Melo each missed at least 12 games each, so I'm just saying I'd rather that we paced things from a 'load' standpoint as there's no need to get too caught up in second quarter scoring binges against the Kings in November.

But anyway, I agree about attack mode and not bogging down strengths by forcing a heavy facilitator role onto a scorer. The best thing is to start Gil and Shaun together and run a good bit of the O' through 'Dray as well. I'd expect the passing would just work itself out so long as the chemistry works out likewe'd hope.
sfam
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by sfam » Mon May 17, 2010 4:28 am

hands11 wrote:
sfam wrote:I'm not seeing team leader from Gil. Truly, I'd just be happy for a seemingly professional-like basketball player. No more shoes as toilets, guns as pranks, etc...

Oh, if we could have just gotten a bandwagon going earlier like we did with EFJ.

It is interesting to read comments like this now as the standard. There was a day you would get jumped for pointing out that Gilertology was a foolish road to no where. All the predicting 50 in a playoff game, blogging, etc. In a way, Gil was a victim of press build up the same as James. But like James, in the end, you have to get something done on the court in the playoffs or your not the best.

For me, I don't really care about the physical make over stuff. Nick has been trying different hair styles for years. So what. I kind of figured he would change his number like Dray which he did.

I just want the mental makeover. But if he wants to go shaved head, bring it on. Just make sure you realize it's an inside job.

I agree with this, and was certainly one of those quite happy with Gil being his quirky self. Like many, I liked his extra character, and just naturally assumed he would grow up into a more responsible Gil in a few years. Little did we know...
Bickerstaff
Senior

Post#20 » by Bickerstaff » Mon May 17, 2010 8:39 am

hands11 wrote:I'd be very happy with 18-20pts, 7-8 assists, 3 rebounds, 1 steal and getting to the line 4-6 times a game.

I wouldn't.

Return to Washington Wizards