ImageImageImageImageImage

Official John Wall Appreciation Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

theboomking
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Re: Official John Wall Appreciation Thread 

Post#1381 » by theboomking » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:15 am

I know you guys love watching Wall play in summer league, so here is another video, courtesy of Ballislife. Sorry. Didn't know how to embed it. We all know it is meaningless, but I did think his shot was a little better. Less fade.
http://ballislife.com/john-wall-kills-t ... y-off-mix/
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#1382 » by Nivek » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:52 pm

That video was terrible -- the edits and angles made it tough to see what was happening on some of the shots. I liked that he "froze" the follow-through on at least some of the attempts. That's an improvement from the last video. Still don't like the guide hand being on top of the ball. Didn't like what I could see of the form on that 3pt shot at 0:44 was bad. Low release point had the ball basically in his face as he was shooting. He made it, but blocking his vision of the target isn't a recipe for long-term success.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#1383 » by DMVleGeND » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:50 pm

TheBigThree wrote:Wall needs a PR guy (either that or he just needs to mature). All these stupid mixtapes and games against garbage competition really is doing him no favors. At least last year there were lots of other big names playing in these games because of the lockout. Was hoping Wall would stay away and work on his craft, guess not.

Needless to say I don't have high hopes for the needed improvements to manifest themselves next season. Hope I'm wrong.

He's been training with a personal trainer 5x a week and weight training 3x a week. The players are allowed to have a little fun and play some pick-up ball. Plus, he needs to apply the thing he learned in game situations. It's just pick-up ball, but it's still better than practicing by yourself w/ a chair all day. Anybody could look like Jordan just practicing by themselves -- just ask the Bucks why they drafted Yi.
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#1384 » by hands11 » Sat Sep 1, 2012 4:30 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wiz ... _blog.html

This will be a break year for Wall. Everything is lining up for that to happen.

At the conclusion of their training sessions with the Olympic team, several members of the Select Team lauded Wall for his play. Indiana Pacers forward Paul George said the standouts from the week were Cleveland Cavaliers rookie of the year Kyrie Irving, Utah Jazz swingman Gordon Hayward and Wall.

“John showed everything — his playmaking ability, his open court speed and his shooting,” George said. “I really think he opened a lot of eyes on his shooting.”

Wall was able to hit pull-up jumpers from 18-feet and knock down open looks when defenders rolled under screens. After shooting just 29.7 percent on shots outside of the restricted area, Wall made improving his jumper a priority in the offseason. He even hired former Wizards shooting coach Dave Hopla to help him with his form and he could see the results in the later scrimmages.

“He basically told me to follow through and don’t fade away too much,” Wall said of Hopla. “I fade away like I’m Kobe or somebody that’s been working on it for years. If you’re not a good shooter, you’ve got to stick to those basic ways and then you can take those type of shots. I’m just trying to get back to the basics of just staying straight up and down and shoot the ball.”
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#1385 » by Higga » Thu Sep 6, 2012 5:52 pm

Happy Birthday to my boy, 2012-2013 all-star PG John "Master and Commander" Wall. :)
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
TheMailMan3232
Junior
And1: 7

Post#1386 » by TheMailMan3232 » Fri Sep 7, 2012 2:03 pm

TheBigThree wrote:Wall needs a PR guy (either that or he just needs to mature). All these stupid mixtapes and games against garbage competition really is doing him no favors. At least last year there were lots of other big names playing in these games because of the lockout. Was hoping Wall would stay away and work on his craft, guess not.

Needless to say I don't have high hopes for the needed improvements to manifest themselves next season. Hope I'm wrong.

:roll:
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#1387 » by dangermouse » Fri Sep 7, 2012 6:35 pm

Is Wall ambidextrous?

Been watching old games, he does seem to finish more (particularly on dunks) lefty, and I just noticed he jumps off his right foot... Now, most players I see that are right handed jump off their left foot. Im a righty and I jump off my left foot. It just feels natural.

Why does he shoot right handed? Does he write right handed etc. too?

Could the secret to unlocking his shooting be to change hands? Probably not. But it is strange right?
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
B-easy
Starter
And1: 506

Post#1388 » by B-easy » Sun Sep 9, 2012 3:55 am

He said he can write with his left hand really well.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#1389 » by closg00 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:17 pm

It's always interesting to read the opinions of outsiders.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1204757
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#1390 » by closg00 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:36 am

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#1391 » by hands11 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:47 am

closg00 wrote:http://www.bulletsforever.com/2012/9/21/3369790/john-calipari-john-wall-radio-interview

And two good posts from it.

Irving had a completely different skill set than Wall coming out of college.

I watched a lot of Irving tape over the off-season, and he plays like he’s a combo guard, which I think is the complete opposite of Wall. Guys with that kind of skill-set can excel anywhere, regardless of the situation. Wall just doesn’t have the range required to do that. He’ll eventually get there. Here’s to hoping Hopla’s training pays off.

Geting it done.

by Knowledge92 on Sep 21, 2012 5:14 PM EDT reply
Irving isn't a fair comparison

He had vets like Anthony Parker, Antawn Jamison, Ramon Sessions, Boobie Gibskn and Varejaeo in the locker room. Big difference between those seasoned pros who understand the game and the motley crew of low IQ players and equally clueless youngsters Wall as had. HUGE difference.

Not making excuses, but reverse the roles and I doubt Irving would have thrived in DC. Sorry that’s just the truth.

This doesn’t excuse john’s shooting or turnover issues but teammates matter. And for all the advantages Irving inherited, his team was still only marginally better.

--

I'll add. It was terrible situation for Wall. Being a PG/SG was not his game. He is more of a Rondo type. And even Rondo has eventually started to find a shot. If he can do it, anyone game. And Rondo went to a team with legit stars.

The Wiz just didn't have to players for Wall to play his real game so he was forced into trying to do it all himself and that isn't his game. He hadn't even learn to change speeds properly. So he just went crash dummy from and to end. Making him caption was terrible for him but there really wasn't many good choices. I suggested none. They put way to much on him to soon. For this year, captains should be Wall n Nene.

He slowed change of pass moves by the end of the year. I think he learned that. And now he has the supporting cast that will let him return more to he style of people a PG. And with the change of pace move and a better J, he will be better at it. He doesn't have to have a D Rose year to have a great year. I thinking it will be more of a high assist your, solid D, and quality pts.

10 + ast, 16 -18 pts on .440 shooting. Not bad for a 3rd year player who came to a crap team getting blown up and missed his year 2 summer camp because of lockout. He can do that.

He is already doing 8 ast, .423 and 16 pts He end March last year with 9.1 asts.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#1392 » by Knighthonor » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:15 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXZqNr8V6b4[/youtube]
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#1393 » by payitforward » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:18 pm

hands11 wrote:... (Wall) doesn't have to have a D Rose year to have a great year.

Actually, Wall's first two years were as good as -- perhaps even just slightly better than -- Rose's first two years.

Derrick Rose came to a team that had been .500 over the previous 3 years. They went .500 his first 2 years. Then he improved a fair amount, and they got some other better players (Boozer, Brewer...), and their record improved *a lot* his 3d year.

The Wizards were a sorry mess when John Wall arrived. Their roster contained essentially whoever they could get for the guys they wanted out of here, plus an over the hill Gilbert Arenas and a time-serving Hinrich, plus a few non-entities (Yi anyone?) and 4 rookies (once Hinrich went and Crawford came I mean). Not a "built" team in any sense.

Add a mediocre draft the following year, and what do you have? An environment where Cartier Martin can look pretty good. Not to ding the guy, but shouldn't that tell you something?

Of course the comparison w/ Rose doesn't imply anything about the future. It just tells you that, no, Wall hasn't been some kind of bust (tho it's undeniable that Kyrie Irving has been better so far).

Just as Rose improved his 3d year, so Wall has to improve in his 3d year. If he does, then he starts to justify where he was picked.

Looking back at the 2010 draft, right now you'd have to say that the two best players in the top 10 were Greg Monroe and Paul George. By a lot. I loved George, but I wasn't all that high on Monroe.

That may mean that I'm not an all-seeing genius. There have been other indications of that as well in my life, even more important ones. :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#1394 » by dobrojim » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:05 pm

payitforward wrote:[snip]

Looking back at the 2010 draft, right now you'd have to say that the two best players in the top 10 were Greg Monroe and Paul George. By a lot. I loved George, but I wasn't all that high on Monroe.

That may mean that I'm not an all-seeing genius. There have been other indications of that as well in my life, even more important ones. :)

Both those guys have been pretty good but if we re-did the draft right now, I bet
the VAST majority of NBA GMs would take Wall #1#1.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#1395 » by Nivek » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:07 pm

dobrojim wrote:
payitforward wrote:[snip]

Both those guys have been pretty good but if we re-did the draft right now, I bet
the VAST majority of NBA GMs would take Wall #1#1.

I think you're right, but that doesn't necessarily mean they'd be correct, though.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#1396 » by dobrojim » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:32 pm

true - but I would take my chances on their opinions more than
PIF's, not to necessarily single him out but just as an example of
a random RealGM poster.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#1397 » by fishercob » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:59 pm

Bump for John's return. It's nice to have him back on the floor; he's an exciting player.

Some observations from his first two games back:

His speed seems to be all there, if the lift/explosion isn't (note the missed dunk). He also seems stronger, and the speed and strength combo put a lot of pressure on the D. He's getting to the line and making them; no idea if this is any function of respect from refs or what.

Jumper still looks...iffy to be sure, and decision-making and turnovers remain a concern. I have liked a couple sets that have had Wall running off several screens and catching the ball on the move; giving him the ball with a running start and head of steam towards the basket is really tough on defenders.

What strikes me as odd about Wall's poor shooting is that he's so adept from the line. Can anyone think of other example of guys with such a big disparity? 78% from line for his career, but 42% from the field and 24% from 3. Just strikes me as bizarre, but maybe it's not and I'm just not thinking of a lot of other guys.

It's noteworthy that AJ Price has also been really good these past two games. I think that has less to do with him elevating his game due to Wall's return than it does matchups. It gets a little tougher after Sacramento.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#1398 » by miller31time » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:06 pm

His increased strength (or girth) has also led to some successful post-up opportunities.

I think that's an aspect of his game that could prove to be very effective if he continues it.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#1399 » by Illuminaire » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:19 pm

Wall actually hits a decent number of his "jumpshots" when it's a set shot. His problem seems to be with the actual jumping part; we've all seen how he tends to fire when he's coming down, which I suspect is the cause of his decreased accuracy. It's a timing thing, one he doesn't have to worry about with free throws.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#1400 » by GhostsOfGil » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:04 pm

Small sample size but after 2 games, 82games.com has Wall at +14 in on/off diff. His counterpart is averaging a PER of 7.4 per 48 minutes and he's shooting .385 eFG% on jumpers; about 7% better than last season.

His per 36 numbers are ridiculous; about 23 ppg and 9 assists. I'm not sure we could have asked for a better start from a player who missed 33 games.

Return to Washington Wizards