ImageImageImageImageImage

The NBA Finals

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

The NBA Finals 

Post#1 » by fishercob » Tue Jun 1, 2010 2:34 am

Very excited for this series, as there's an unbelievable collection of talent between these two teams. You have the two past champions with a generations-old rivalry as well as some recent dislike from the '08 Finals.

I don't know who I'm rooting for. I have developed a strong distaste for KG and have always found Pierce to be joyless and un-fun. However, I like Ray Allen and Rondo.

I cannot help but be awed when Kobe's at his best, but I've never been able to really root for the guy since I read that police report. Gasol's skills are a joy to watch, but he looks like the neck-bearded descendant of Admiral Ackbar (and I can't help but think "Antawn Jamison's expiring contract" and "what might have been.").

The matchups are really intriguing. Boston would seem to have a huge PG advantage, but the Lakers have have managed to overcome Westbrook, Deron Williams and Nash just fine. Fisher has watermelon-sized testicles and seems to live to rip people's hearts out.

It's an interesting series to watch as a Wiz fan. Blatche is really the offspring of a poor man's Gasol and a poor man's KG. These are the two dudes he should be studying most -- develop more of Gasol's skill, and KG's jumper Rondo seems to be the clearest comparison to what Wall may be like, so it will be interesting to see him as a primary creator on such a huge stage.

Not sure who I'm picking yet, but am leaning to LA. KG hasn't had to deal with any defender with Odom's length, let alone Gasol. Pierce is going to have to expend a ton of energy on Kobe and will then have to likely contend with Artest on the other end. Boston doesn't have a great interior scorer to bother Bynum. So yeah, I'm thinking LA right now.

Go Wiz.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Re: The NBA Finals 

Post#2 » by mohammed10 » Tue Jun 1, 2010 2:44 am

fish-

LA in 6...maybe 5
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#3 » by verbal8 » Tue Jun 1, 2010 3:13 am

fishercob wrote:It's an interesting series to watch as a Wiz fan. Blatche is really the offspring of a poor man's Gasol and a poor man's KG. These are the two dudes he should be studying most -- develop more of Gasol's skill, and KG's jumper Rondo seems to be the clearest comparison to what Wall may be like, so it will be interesting to see him as a primary creator on such a huge stage.

Following your analogy with Blatche, I would say Wall is the offspring of a rich man's Rondo and a poor man's Wade.

fishercob wrote:Not sure who I'm picking yet, but am leaning to LA. KG hasn't had to deal with any defender with Odom's length, let alone Gasol. Pierce is going to have to expend a ton of energy on Kobe and will then have to likely contend with Artest on the other end. Boston doesn't have a great interior scorer to bother Bynum. So yeah, I'm thinking LA right now.

Go Wiz.

I think the Lakers will win, but I have a slight preference for the Celtics.
bulletproof_32
Sixth Man
And1: 40

Post#4 » by bulletproof_32 » Tue Jun 1, 2010 3:23 am

Raps in 4.

Seriously, I actually don't really care who wins but I think the Lakers will take it in 6 games. I just hope it's an exciting and competitive series, with a bunch of close games. And I won't complain one bit if goes the full 7.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#5 » by dangermouse » Tue Jun 1, 2010 3:46 am

why do you dislike KG, fish? dude is intense.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#6 » by fishercob » Tue Jun 1, 2010 11:17 am

dangermouse wrote:why do you dislike KG, fish? dude is intense.

Isn't he? So's Tim Duncan, but without the Ultimate Warrior shtick. KG is widely known in NBA circles to be both a huge a-hole and a cheap shot artist. His act has worn thin with me. I was just discussing this over email with a college buddy from Boston who wouldn't buy that KG was a dirty prick , but couldn't believe the NBA had yet to suspend Dwight Howard for all eternity. KG also happens to get into it, more often than not, with guys who are a foot shorter than him. Classic bully.

I dug up some "evidence" that I still have handy:

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/04/18/joak ... ty-player/
http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/ ... 35a4ab.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAfp6ZCsvGc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0tiQ01BhGM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pTiEkfQ6pk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ_elDSdoow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnFsXfnMxao
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbcRx9_X92c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvCyZB1n ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_VfOisw ... re=related
my favorite:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pgmkkr_E_o&feature=related[/youtube]

Yeah, anyone would love to have (or have had) him on their team, but I don't like the guy and if he loses I'll enjoy it.
— Steve Martin
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#7 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 1, 2010 12:19 pm

I LOVE the way KG plays, and I would have killed to have him on the Wiz in his prime. I still want him on my team - if he's not limping - especially on defense. Dude has been one of the best competitors and defenders and rebounders in the game throughout his career - not to mention a very skilled offensive player - though not an ideal 1st option. I still love to watch him play and hope he wins another championship. It's kinda like watching Elway at the end of his career. He didn't win any SB's until he was near the end, as well.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
fishercob
RealGM

Post#8 » by fishercob » Tue Jun 1, 2010 1:06 pm

Except Elway wasn't an unabashed prick and a cheap shot artist. He did have crazy horse teeth though.
— Steve Martin
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#9 » by Benjammin » Tue Jun 1, 2010 1:10 pm

I'm with Fish on KG, Pierce, Rondo, and Allen. You can't argue with KG"s impact on the court but he is a major douche bag. He does like to cheap shot people, including apparently teammates in practice if they show him up by doing something good against him. His Ultimate Warrior act is crap and barking is tiresome. I wish a Maurice Lucas or Charles Oakley or Artis Gilmore would come out of retirement and give KG what he deserves. As for Pierce, joyless is a good description of him, but I do like Rondo and Allen.

I don't care to see the Lakers get any more glory, but given the alternative I think they're the lesser of two evils.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#10 » by MJG » Tue Jun 1, 2010 3:15 pm

A combination of my personal ties to the LA area and Boston having the only player I actively dislike in the series in Garnett (100% with fisher on that one) means I'm definitely rooting for the Lakers here. I think they take it 4-2. Though really, that said, my interest level in these games is like a 1.5 out of 10, so if Boston wins, goody for them.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#11 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Tue Jun 1, 2010 3:29 pm

Boston in 6.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#12 » by nate33 » Tue Jun 1, 2010 3:35 pm

I hate Garnett, Rasheed and Artest. I have no great love for Pierce or Kobe but I have nothing against them. Actually, I kinda like Pierce ever since he remade himself into a two-way player after the acquisition of Garnett and Allen. I like Allen, Rondo and Gasol. I'm indifferent about Bynum, Odom, Perkins and Fisher.

On paper, it's a wash. My allegiance to the East is the deciding factor. I'll root for Boston.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#13 » by Benjammin » Tue Jun 1, 2010 3:52 pm

I don't hate Rasheed and Artest because at least they don't pretend to be something they aren't. Garnett does that all the time.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#14 » by GhostsOfGil » Tue Jun 1, 2010 3:56 pm

boston in 7
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#15 » by montestewart » Tue Jun 1, 2010 4:22 pm

zaRdsAndZeRos wrote:boston in 7

Yep. Garnett's a DB, but he still plays hard and still has some skills. Rondo's in charge though, and I like his game. Both teams are good. Should be fun-to-watch series.
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#16 » by Severn Hoos » Tue Jun 1, 2010 4:40 pm

I'm rooting for whoever's playing Cleveland. What? LeBron's not in the Finals? How is that possible?

Actually, my interest in any of these players for the past few years is all about who can take down the Cavs. I've grown to appreciate Kobe because he actually backs up the hype, unlike a certain denizen of the metropolis called Cleveland. I was glad the Lakers signed Artest so that he could harass LeBron in the Finals. (Oops, there I go again...). I loved watching Rondo slice up the Cavs defense and Allen drop rainbow threes on them. I even enjoyed KG's intensity, specifically because it was directed at the fraudulent pre-ordained champions ("A ring for the King" - way to deliver, Shaq.)

On their own, I'd feel something between lukewarm admiration to downright antipathy toward most of the players in this series (Rondo excepted, he's incredible to watch). Against LeBron, I love those guys as much as any chowderheaded moron from Boston or fake-tan (and whatever else) wannabe from LA. But with the Cavs out, I just can't seem to care.

For a prediction, I'll say Lakers in 6 (they are doning the 2-3-2 format, right?) Not that I care - I'm just looking forward to the draft!
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#17 » by LyricalRico » Tue Jun 1, 2010 4:51 pm

Severn Hoos wrote:For a prediction, I'll say Lakers in 6 (they are doning the 2-3-2 format, right?) Not that I care - I'm just looking forward to the draft!

I feel the same, both prediction-wise and also the general disinterest. The way these playoffs have gone, with the long breaks in action due to the sweeps and the NBA wanting prime TV slots, I feel completely detached from the season. It's almost like the season is over and this is just some sort of encore exhitibion. I can't remember feeling this way before. It's really weird.

As for the series itself, the Celtic's just don't have enough offense to beat the Lakers IMO. The Magic were a jumpshooting team that you could easily get off their game because they are such whiners. But LA has guys who can actually score in the post and the midrange, plus they've been there before so they aren't going to get rattled if Garnett throws an elbow. I do expect Boston to put up a fight and I wouldn't be surprised to see it go the full 7 games (this is their last stand and I think they know it, which is why Doc hasn't signed an extension yet) but in the end it won't be enough.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#18 » by Ruzious » Tue Jun 1, 2010 5:34 pm

It is amazingly stupid how the NBA/tv has shown no flexibility in starting series - causing the problem that Rico mentioned. Even so, I'm really looking forward to the finals. I had the Celtics beating Orlando in 6 - and the Lakers was a no-brainer, so I'm on a roll. The Celts' frontcourt health is a huge questionmark, but then again Bynum isn't 100%. If KG is healthy enough to keep up with Gasol, Boston wins, but I don't think he will be. Pierce will even up with Kobe. I think the Lakers win it in 6 - with Gasol as the MVP.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#19 » by FreeBalling » Tue Jun 1, 2010 5:45 pm

Cavs in 5. :D
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#20 » by pancakes3 » Tue Jun 1, 2010 6:25 pm

kobe's playing out of his mind right now. pretty close to what MJ was doing in 97-98 imo. if gasol can avoid a stray elbow from KG and play to his potential, lakers in 6. if not? lakers in 7.

i too, also hate KG, mostly because he doesn't walk the walk of a badass. zippy credability.
Bullets -> Wizards

Return to Washington Wizards