ImageImageImageImageImage

Kevin Seraphin

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

veji1
Starter
And1: 488

Re: Kevin Seraphin 

Post#1381 » by veji1 » Mon Nov 5, 2012 3:51 pm

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy a lot and I do hope he can be more aggressive. it would be a shame if he stayed soft...

It would be a bit like Boris Diaw who is super talented but had his whole carreer people saying "if only he wanted to score a bit more" but just couldn't, and is just a player that likes to do everything to get the others to score.

Obviously it is different but it would be a shame if Seraphin were to become a 15/7 type of guy who never quite could get above that because of his softness.

Again I am not saying it will happen, but just wanted to point that on what was deemed a good night for him, he still displayerd overwhelming softness/Soft touch on offense.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#1382 » by dobrojim » Mon Nov 5, 2012 4:00 pm

seems silly to me to worry about KS being 'soft'. One of his biggest
weaknesses early in his career was that he would pick up fouls
in many cases because he lacked finesse and because he is so
solidly built that he looks guilty as often as not when there is
contact.

Him being too soft is pretty low on my list of worries.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
veji1
Starter
And1: 488

Post#1383 » by veji1 » Mon Nov 5, 2012 4:12 pm

Just to make sure i make myself clear. I am talking of the specific situation of him having the ball on offense. He is physical in defense, physical when setting screens. It just seems that when he gets the ball, he suddenly shies away from contact and goes for very very soft moves, ie the hook and the spot up shot. These are good moves in the sense that he executes them well, but even when well done they will never be as high percentage shots as a dunk; lay-in or FT. Again it is important for him to know his spots and not overdo the aggressivity, but eventuality if he keeps plawing as well as he did at the end of last season, he is going to get scouted and this will get noticed and exploited.

He has time and I am not pessimistic per se, but I just wanted to share that impression while people were saying he is a beast. On offense he is everything but a beast, rather a finesse big man with a wide strong core.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#1384 » by nuposse04 » Mon Nov 5, 2012 4:20 pm

I think by "soft" he means not looking for his shot. I want Seraphin to find the perfect balance for himself. He was hot against Boston and knew he should be taking almost every look he gets. There will be nights he is off, but if he knows to make the extra pass when it ain't falling will be more telling for me. Okafor shot almost every time he got the ball in the post, the only FG i can recall for him was a goaltend. Seraphin needs to make sure he doesn't become a blackhole, i'm not saying he is one, but I just don't want his offensive abilities to go to his head. He has the makings of Z-bo's game with some more post moves plus better effort on D.

Also lets give Jan some credit too, I think he made two touch passes to kevin in the post to give him an easy score. Those two work pretty damn well together.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#1385 » by GhostsOfGil » Mon Nov 5, 2012 4:21 pm

Wittman said it was crucial for the bigs to take the high post shot when it was available. Veen is still a banger. After seeing how fast he's developed, I'm sure he'll learn to draw contact as he gains experience.

nuposse04 wrote:I think by "soft" he means not looking for his shot. I want Seraphin to find the perfect balance for himself. He was hot against Boston and knew he should be taking almost every look he gets. There will be nights he is off, but if he knows to make the extra pass when it ain't falling will be more telling for me. Okafor shot almost every time he got the ball in the post, the only FG i can recall for him was a goaltend. Seraphin needs to make sure he doesn't become a blackhole, i'm not saying he is one, but I just don't want his offensive abilities to go to his head. He has the makings of Z-bo's game with some more post moves plus better effort on D.

From watching other bigs develop, passing out of the post is something that takes some time to develop. I remember Tim Duncan was terrible at this early in his career, and now he's one of the best. As the defense learns to close in on Kevin, I'm sure he will learn eventually.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#1386 » by dobrojim » Mon Nov 5, 2012 5:54 pm

I think he'll draw more fouls in the future because defenses will
recognize that he's a threat and guard him more aggressively.

No one complained (much) about Dream (one of Veen's role models)
not drawing enough fouls. Clearly Veen is not now a Dream and is
pretty unlikely to become one. But that's not the point. He tends to
score efficiently. That's something of particularly high value on a team
where that trait is in low abundance.

GhostsOfGil
General Manager

Post#1387 » by GhostsOfGil » Mon Nov 5, 2012 7:12 pm

dobrojim wrote:I think he'll draw more fouls in the future because defenses will

Agree with you 100% but just wanted to throw it out there: Dream averaged 6.2 FTA per 36 over his career. Kevin's carrer numbers are only 2.1 attempts per 36. Drawing fouls is definitely one area he needs to improve on.
SunKing
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,509

Post#1388 » by SunKing » Mon Nov 5, 2012 8:31 pm

What I like so much about Kevin, he has this good vibe around him. I don't know how to explain it but you know the guy want to learn, he loves the game, he doesn't mind learn it the hard way etc... In a franchise like CCJ described I guess it's very valuable.

An interview I translated of him a week ago to "Ouest France" (a regional newspaper from the area of Cholet where Kevin started and learnt playing basketball). Sorry for the broken english (I tried to translate so you can understand what he wanted to say) I highlighted the best parts.

Have you been able to work with Sébastien Morin, your trainer since your Cholet years ?

I had to go to French National team first. Then when I came back Sébastien was working with Rodrigue (Beaubois), so I let him work with him. I went to Murano, in Italy, I got back in form by myself. I also did tournaments in France. I offered a trip to Washington to my first coach (Jean-François Martin, Cholet's U20 coach) and his family, and he told me to see him in France to have a lunch at his home to thanks me, so I went ! We trained in La Meilleraie (Cholet's arena), it remembered me so many memories. He's the one who takes time with me and was driving me from the school to the gym, he was patient with, made me work and it payed. We have a good relationship, I own him for ever to make me start playing and having the chance to play in Cholet before the NBA.

Did you also see Rodrigue Beaubois ?

Yes, he came this summer in Washington with me right before the Olympics. He's my best friend. We doesn't have much the occasion to meet in the NBA. In Cholet we used to live in the same house. We used to be trippin together… When he left for NBA, it was a motivation. I always told him : « I'm going to meet you over there, give me one year ! ».

Individually, you want to win the MIP this season…

I always had this idea, I won in Pro A (French league). Now, if I can score more than ten points and be a better rebounder… I know I can do it. It's really important for me. I'm not motivated by money. I want to be a player that people will remember especially since there's many players who were good but forgotten. I want to make a deep impression on people in France. I'm in search of titles, even if people says Wizards aren't the good for, we're building something.

Do you think about being an All Star ?

It's a goal, but it goes with the team, we had to work hard. I need experience too. I don't have enough. I'm a fast learner but there's some stuff I can't get it right now because it comes with time. I listen a lot to Jim Bilba (french national team captain and Cholet legend) for example. Right now I'm looking at Nene.

Is it a crucial year for you ?

The next two. I showed to the team that I was a player in the end of last season. Now, I've got to show that I can do it on a whole season.

You got to love this kid !
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#1389 » by dobrojim » Mon Nov 5, 2012 8:54 pm

GhostsOfGil wrote:
dobrojim wrote:I think he'll draw more fouls in the future because defenses will

Agree with you 100% but just wanted to throw it out there: Dream averaged 6.2 FTA per 36 over his career. Kevin's carrer numbers are only 2.1 attempts per 36. Drawing fouls is definitely one area he needs to improve on.

Not disagreeing at all but would raise the question of usage rates.
Dream had great moves/footwork that made him un-guardable sometimes.
It wasn't long before the league realized he had to be defended as aggressively
as possible.

Certain players, like Nick Young, are great at creating space for themselves.
I think Veen is like that in the sense that he can take good shots that
defenses can't contest that well. Veen is strong enough as well that one
might be careful not to foul since he could well make the shot anyway.
Plus he's looking like an above avg FT shooter for a big. Not a guy you
want to try hack-a-veen on.

Would I like to see him draw fouls, get to the stripe, create foul trouble
for opp bigs? You bet. I think that will come, but it may never be a particular
strength of his and he could still be an excellent player without that.

A bigger hole in his game is rebounding. I'd really like to see him
increase his rebounding rate.

tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#1390 » by tontoz » Mon Nov 5, 2012 8:56 pm

^^ Yeah he is an easy guy to root for, certainly my favorite player on the team.

Thanks for posting that Sunking.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1391 » by FAH1223 » Mon Nov 5, 2012 8:56 pm

Kevin has also only been playing basketball for a few years. The fact that he's this good speaks volumes to how much he works.

He really might be the best pick Ernie has made or will make in his tenure here in Washington.

The good sign was that the Spurs wanted to draft him in 2010... and the Spurs needed and still need a defensive bruiser next to Duncan. I'm glad we snatched him where we did. He's going to get better and I think he'll really take off.

The best thing about Wittman is he has given this guy a shot.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#1392 » by Knighthonor » Mon Nov 5, 2012 10:19 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I get frustrated thinking Kevin Seraphin could have been taking that jump hook as a PF and Javale could have been the one dunking. What they needed was a Nene/Okafor teammate.

With all his flaws I thought Javale could play with Seraphin in time, because Kevin is a good low post defender and he can score in the post (if not with dunks, with hooks and face up jumpers). Seraphin was just the opposite of Javale. Stout and not easily moved. Javale is long and above the rim, pretty much all the time. They just seemed to be made to play together to me. ...

I said that a while ago but was ignored. KS should have been the PF with McGee at C.

Man this team would have been great!!!
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,993

Post#1393 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Nov 5, 2012 11:04 pm

SunKing, I wanted a couple other players when Kevin Seraphin was drafted. I didn't know much about Kevin and I thought a buyout from Cholet might be expensive. However, it didn't take me long to change my opinion about Kevin.

From this very first press conference I have liked him a lot. :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfwopgf5Itk[/youtube]

Big dude looked ready to go. He's not soft. He's very enthusiastic. I can tell having watched his game evolve that Kevin Seraphin is a thinker and he is rapidly evolving on the court. I believe he should rebound better, but his offense is much better than what he's shown so far IMO.

The one thing I do like about the Nene trade is that it brought the right veteran to help Kevin. I think Okafor won't be in front of Kevin for long in the rotation, or if he is Seraphin will be the one finishing games.
Bye bye Beal.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,184

Post#1394 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Nov 5, 2012 11:06 pm

He reminds me of a slim Kevin Duckworth...
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#1395 » by closg00 » Mon Nov 5, 2012 11:28 pm

Look at all of the Euros who are playing in the NBA, they generally have better fundamentals and work habits relative to their US counterparts. Kudos to Kevin.
fugop
Veteran
And1: 9

Post#1396 » by fugop » Tue Nov 6, 2012 12:02 pm

I would call Cuban and see if he'd be interested in a Beaubois trade. It'd keep Kevin happy, and Beaubois could fit well in our back court. I'd start with a Jordan Crawford offer, and probably go up to a Vesely offer.
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#1397 » by Upper Decker » Tue Nov 6, 2012 12:28 pm

closg00 wrote:Look at all of the Euros who are playing in the NBA, they generally have better fundamentals and work habits relative to their US counterparts. Kudos to Kevin.

It's amazing to compare the progress of Keveen to seemingly the regression of John Wall. Two years ago Veen literally looked like he had no place in the NBA. Honestly he was awful. Now he's amazingly efficient and probably the best player on the team. Wall has regressed and currently owns the worst shot in the league and is the league leader in TOs. The difference? Hard work and only Keveen's doing it.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager

Post#1398 » by GhostsOfGil » Tue Nov 6, 2012 3:31 pm

fugop wrote:I would call Cuban and see if he'd be interested in a Beaubois trade. It'd keep Kevin happy, and Beaubois could fit well in our back court. I'd start with a Jordan Crawford offer, and probably go up to a Vesely offer.

I remember a few years back we tried and it was reported Rodney was untouchable. I'm sure Cuban's stance has softened a bit but I have a feeling it would take more than Vesley and Crawford.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#1399 » by Nivek » Tue Nov 6, 2012 3:39 pm

Upper Decker wrote:
closg00 wrote:Look at all of the Euros who are playing in the NBA, they generally have better fundamentals and work habits relative to their US counterparts. Kudos to Kevin.

It's amazing to compare the progress of Keveen to seemingly the regression of John Wall. Two years ago Veen literally looked like he had no place in the NBA. Honestly he was awful. Now he's amazingly efficient and probably the best player on the team. Wall has regressed and currently owns the worst shot in the league and is the league leader in TOs. The difference? Hard work and only Keveen's doing it.

"Amazingly efficient" might be overstating things. Seraphin had a great game that was indeed amazingly efficient, but his streak of good play at the end of last season was actually about average in terms of efficiency. An amazing improvement considering how bad he was as a rookie, but not amazingly efficient. He could get there, of course. His offensive game looks really good, and he was going against Garnett, who's one of the best defenders in league history. Seraphin's improvement is one of the reasons I didn't like the Okariza deal.

I'm willing to wait and see before proclaiming Wall "regressed". He was about the same from rookie year to year two. We'll see what kind of work he put in when he's healthy enough to get back on the floor.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager

Post#1400 » by GhostsOfGil » Tue Nov 6, 2012 3:44 pm

Kev, It's easy to get mixed up. In Wizards terms: Average efficiency = Amazingly efficient. :wink:

Return to Washington Wizards