Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Kevin Seraphin 

Post#1461 » by hands11 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:10 am

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:
hands11 wrote:
leswizards wrote:What is up with Randy Whitman and Kevin Seraphin. It seems that Randy is yelling at Kevin everytime Kevin comes to the sideline.

He is giving him instructions on what to do.

AWIZ
I agree. He is a PF. I thought that from the start. He can play some center but right now he is more of a PF. But until he learns to box out, rebound and get fouled when he is shooting, he is a back up. Right now he is a very offensive minded player. What he needs to do is become a force in the post. He did more of that last game against ATL. Having Nene out there really helps him because Nene does those things and draws attention. That does two things. Nene leads by example and motivates Kevin and he opens the floor to make it easier for him.

If Nene was out healthy and out there, Kevin would develop faster. Both from practice and games.

I would develop him at PF and got get FA, draft or trade for a 7-0 strong center to replace Okafor longer term.

And the team needs to add back a Mason type next year. Just go get one of the UFA like Mason or Kyle Korver.[/
quote]

I'm with you on the Wizards needing to bring in another center. You don't feel Martin or Webster fills the role of spot-up shooter?

We will see this year. I think they can get better but they really need to set the plate at center. Wall and Nene are good for the main focus of the offense for now. They need to get that center worked out for the next 3-4 years, then they can work on finding that stud SF.
hands11
Banned User

Post#1462 » by hands11 » Wed Dec 5, 2012 4:33 am

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/4289/kevin-seraphin

3 games in a row of 10 rebounds.

and 4 games in double digit scoring.

I think he is fully recovered from that leg injury. Real happy to see him getting double digit rebounds.

Now take it to the rack more. 9 out of 14 games he has had zero FTAs and only 12 FTAs total.

If he can keep the rebound rate up and shoot like he shoots only take it to the rack more and learn how to get fouled, this kid could be a real force.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,184

Post#1463 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Dec 5, 2012 6:05 pm

His problem is he can get that soft hook shot off whenever he wants. No one has successfully stopped him. He's got no reason to develop a countermove to the basket when someone tries to take it away.

He's kind of a victim of his own success.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#1464 » by Halcyon » Wed Dec 5, 2012 8:45 pm

It might be selective memory, but it seems like he's been passing better out of the post in recent games. Still looks awkward at times, but I think he's getting more aware of the other players on the court.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#1465 » by nuposse04 » Wed Dec 5, 2012 9:34 pm

Halcyon wrote:It might be selective memory, but it seems like he's been passing better out of the post in recent games. Still looks awkward at times, but I think he's getting more aware of the other players on the court.

I think he's been making a better effort since Boston collapsed on him in the 2nd game. I think he's finally aware he can't be black hole...His passes haven't been great...but they're there. They need to be a bit more deliberate, but his offensive moves had the same issue IMO as well, most of the time he knows how he intends to try to score now. I do hope he does develop more moves then his hook shot and mid range jumper though. He has the power to drive it in and absorb contact. He should be watching some zach randolph tape if u ask me.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#1466 » by tontoz » Wed Dec 5, 2012 10:15 pm

It doesn't take much contact from a defender to throw off a jump hook. Now that the book is out on him it is going to be harder to get off that shot cleanly which is why his scoring efficiency has taken a dive.

He is going to have to learn how to attack the basket to be an efficient scorer. Given how far he has come since his rookie year i am hopeful he can continue to improve.

3 straight 10 rebound games is a very positive sign.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
hands11
Banned User

Post#1467 » by hands11 » Thu Dec 6, 2012 5:18 am

POWER MOVE

Ok, finally we get to hear something about the power move to the basket. They are working on it.

Randy is telling him to start getting to the line.

http://www.nba.com/wizards/video/2012/1 ... mv-2316220

If you own a fantasy team, you might want to pick this kid up soon.

I expect it wont go completely smooth. It will require more thinking. Right now when he gets the ball, he has very little to think about. He either works into a hook or he takes a mid range. Well, or he pass sometimes. But once he start moving to the basket more like Nene does, Kevin could be a dominate force to stop.

Pts, Rebounds, and FTA while causing other bigs to get in foul trouble :o

Kev is looking to be the best player development example for this team in a long time. Three years ago he could hardly stay on the court. People said he was a bust. People said it was silly that I wanted him to be a PF. Now, he is on the verge of a break out dominate game. At PF.

Nice to hear him talking again about he wants to copy Nene and learn everything from him. Hadnt heard that in a while. But then again, Nene hadnt been out there. Just another reason the Nene injury not getting healed over the summer hurt this team. Not only didnt they have Nene, but Kevin didnt have him either.
Hawaii
Pro Prospect
And1: 21

Post#1468 » by Hawaii » Thu Dec 6, 2012 12:39 pm

The development of Seraphin is integral to the Wizards' future success. I hope he is our PF option for a long time, and I do like him learning from Nene.
veji1
Starter
And1: 488

Post#1469 » by veji1 » Thu Dec 6, 2012 2:20 pm

That Power move talk is great.. It is what could separate him from being a good 14/7 type of PF that will always be a useful players for a team but never quite become a star from becoming a dominant player.

Then again you don't want to get overoptimistic. learning is one aspect, mindset is the other.. Boris Diaw is the most talented french player ever, far more than Tony Parker, and really had the tools to be a perennial 20/8/6 PF on any team... But he never managed to alter his mindset, stayed offensively shy (and got fat).

If Seraphin can watch Zbo and old Brand tape and learn from that, he could be a great 4.

As an aside bein french It salivate more and more thinking about how complementary (sp?) Noah and Seraphin could be as a 4/5 combo..
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#1470 » by GhostsOfGil » Thu Dec 6, 2012 2:58 pm

hands11 wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/4289/kevin-seraphin

I learn from Nene: everything he do. If he drink. I look how he drinks.

8-) Talk about a role model
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#1471 » by closg00 » Thu Dec 6, 2012 3:33 pm

This article discusses the coaches attempts to get Kevin to the FT line more and to try and score at the rim more. Kevin acknowledges that this is an area of his game that he needs to work-on.

http://m.washingtonexaminer.com/wizards ... le/2515175
nuposse04
RealGM

Post#1472 » by nuposse04 » Thu Dec 6, 2012 6:58 pm

If he doesn't intimidate anyone in the lowpost with his shear strength and size, they will certainly frightened when they see his new hair, oh my lawd:

http://instagram.com/p/S59DwtBILV/
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1473 » by FAH1223 » Thu Dec 6, 2012 8:04 pm

closg00 wrote:This article discusses the coaches attempts to get Kevin to the FT line more and to try and score at the rim more. Kevin acknowledges that this is an area of his game that he needs to work-on.

http://m.washingtonexaminer.com/wizards ... le/2515175

"I have to go more on my guy when I play because right now I just play with my hook, my shot," Seraphin said. "Like Nene did, I need more power move, go on my guy and try to get a foul."

Since his return from injury, Nene hasn't showed much of the midrange jumper that he used so effectively late last season. But maybe that's to the benefit of Seraphin, who looks up to his frontcourt teammate.

"I look at everything he do," Seraphin said. "Even if he drink something, I will look at how he drink. I just look at him every time."

Cute.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,161

Post#1474 » by AFM » Thu Dec 6, 2012 9:29 pm

You guys think they're hooking up after practice?
nuposse04
RealGM

Post#1475 » by nuposse04 » Thu Dec 6, 2012 9:48 pm

AFM wrote:You guys think they're hooking up after practice?

I'd hope not. That'd be a large international circle jerk. :/
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1476 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Dec 6, 2012 9:50 pm

hands11 wrote:POWER MOVE

Ok, finally we get to hear something about the power move to the basket. They are working on it.

Randy is telling him to start getting to the line.

http://www.nba.com/wizards/video/2012/1 ... mv-2316220

If you own a fantasy team, you might want to pick this kid up soon.

I expect it wont go completely smooth. It will require more thinking. Right now when he gets the ball, he has very little to think about. He either works into a hook or he takes a mid range. Well, or he pass sometimes. But once he start moving to the basket more like Nene does, Kevin could be a dominate force to stop.

Pts, Rebounds, and FTA while causing other bigs to get in foul trouble :o

Kev is looking to be the best player development example for this team in a long time. Three years ago he could hardly stay on the court. People said he was a bust. People said it was silly that I wanted him to be a PF. Now, he is on the verge of a break out dominate game. At PF.

Nice to hear him talking again about he wants to copy Nene and learn everything from him. Hadnt heard that in a while. But then again, Nene hadnt been out there. Just another reason the Nene injury not getting healed over the summer hurt this team. Not only didnt they have Nene, but Kevin didnt have him either.

I was very against the trade for Nene. I had no idea he would be a terrific role model for Seraphin. Nene is a very good player who makes such a big difference when he is healthy. Seraphin smiles when he speaks of Nene. I did not understand why the Wizards added Okafor, because his rebounding and defense would come at Kevin's expense of minutes. Also, Kevin already had a mentor in Nene before Okafor was added.

It is good to see Seraphin readily acknowledge that a power move will get him to the line more.

When Seraphin scores well I believe officials will show him a lot more respect on foul calls. That should allow him to play more physically without worrying about fouls. His rebounding and defense should improve, and less charges will be called with refs giving Seraphin respect.

Nene is helping Seraphin. Also, props to Wittman for not being afraid to sit Okafor even though Seraphin regressed some early this season. With Nene playing, Seraphin plays better. Seraphin with Okafor didn't work as well.
Bye bye Beal.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1477 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Dec 6, 2012 9:52 pm

Props to Randy on wanting more FTs and rebounds for Kevin, and giving him minutes; even if Vesely or Okafor sit.

Seraphin seems to be able to play when he's not forcing things. If he knows he will get minutes he will play a lot better IMO.
Bye bye Beal.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#1478 » by Knighthonor » Fri Dec 7, 2012 7:53 am

Should build the team around this guy.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#1479 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Sat Dec 8, 2012 10:37 pm

KS-13.

When he's on he looks downright special.
hands11
Banned User

Post#1480 » by hands11 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:57 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Props to Randy on wanting more FTs and rebounds for Kevin, and giving him minutes; even if Vesely or Okafor sit.

Seraphin seems to be able to play when he's not forcing things. If he knows he will get minutes he will play a lot better IMO.

He needs to ask Crawford where to get a set of big balls. 6-9 275 and athletic yet he doesn't power his way to the basket with half the heart the Crawford does at 6-4 195.

He could be a truly dominate player if he had the right mind set. He should be grabbing 12 rebounds a game min in his 30 minutes and getting to the line at least 4 times.

But instead, he plays so French. Lots of talent. But he has no Balls. Even when he takes it toward the basket, its finesse stuff. Taking it to the reverse side. The kid has the foot work to get the angle on players. He needs to do that and then go strong to the hoop. Be a man already. Realize how to be a power player.

This kid have the talent to take over a game and post 25 and 12 but he doesn't bring it.

They need to pair him up with Crawford. He will feed him the ball moving toward the basket so he has no choice but to finish it.

I like the kids upside and he is 23. That causes the admiration and frustration. He has come a long way. But he has so much more he could do and the team needs him to do it. So do it. A starting spot is there for the taking. The team needs a dominate big. He has it with in him to be one of the better PFs in the game.

Return to Washington Wizards