ImageImageImageImageImage

Kevin Seraphin

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Kevin Seraphin 

Post#541 » by hands11 » Mon Jul 4, 2011 2:20 am

nate33 wrote:Somebody mentioned it somewhere, but it bears repeating. Seraphin might pan out to be very similar to Kendrick Perkins.

Seraphin is 6-9 with a 7-3 wingspan and a 9-1 standing reach. He weighs about 275.
Perkins is 6-10 with a 7-4 wingspan and weighs 280.

Seraphin is more athletic than Perkins. I've read conflicting reports about Perkins' wingspan. Some way it's 7-6.5, which is longer than even Haywood's. I find that a little hard to believe.

I can see that. Perkins but more athletic.

I want to see him get some PF minutes along the way.

I know people love to be all about the rookies, but as we just saw with Booker and Seraphin, rookies develop over the year and dont just come out gang busters.

For me, that makes Booker and Seraphin the ones to watch next year, if we have games. And of course Wall and Craw. Our new rookies will be used for spot minutes for 20-30 games. There isnt a Wall who will come in an start or log major minutes right off the bat.

Hell, I even would want to see what Hamady may have added. This team is was so young last year with plenty of first year players. Those are the ones most likely to have improved.

Bring on Seraphin. Lets not overlook this guy so fast.
7-Day Dray
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#542 » by 7-Day Dray » Mon Jul 4, 2011 2:32 am

hands11 wrote:
nate33 wrote:Somebody mentioned it somewhere, but it bears repeating. Seraphin might pan out to be very similar to Kendrick Perkins.

Seraphin is 6-9 with a 7-3 wingspan and a 9-1 standing reach. He weighs about 275.
Perkins is 6-10 with a 7-4 wingspan and weighs 280.

Seraphin is more athletic than Perkins. I've read conflicting reports about Perkins' wingspan. Some way it's 7-6.5, which is longer than even Haywood's. I find that a little hard to believe.

I can see that. Perkins but more athletic.

I want to see him get some PF minutes along the way.

I know people love to be all about the rookies, but as we just saw with Booker and Seraphin, rookies develop over the year and dont just come out gang busters.

For me, that makes Booker and Seraphin the ones to watch next year, if we have games. And of course Wall and Craw. Our new rookies will be used for spot minutes for 20-30 games. There isnt a Wall who will come in an start or log major minutes right off the bat.

Hell, I even would want to see what Hamady may have added. This team is was so young last year with plenty of first year players. Those are the ones most likely to have improved.

Bring on Seraphin. Lets not overlook this guy so fast.

Agree. If Seraphin can keep his body fat down, he can become a game-changer. He has a mean streak that all our other bigs lack.

And I know most people on this board don't care for Hamady, in his last interview, he said he's gained 20 lbs. I think H can become a solid 3rd-string defensive C.

I expect improvement from all our rookies. To bad we might not see it because there might not be a season. :(
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#543 » by hands11 » Mon Jul 4, 2011 7:05 am

Zonkerbl wrote:Wow you guys are reading a lot into this. I read "I'm roiding up like crazy but I'm not going to tell you guys all the frickin details, sheesh are you crazy?"

LOL Here. Over react ?
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,524

Post#544 » by closg00 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:23 am

Kevin is on the French national team FIBA roster as a replacement player. Not mentioned on any Wiz blog... pity.
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/12/oly ... ofile.html

These comments from his former coach Vincent Collet won't surprise anyone here.
http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_4Q97TXMs ... de_on.html
Collet recently spoke about Mahinmi and Seraphin to Basketball World News.
He said: "I think they are not far from the team but I am disappointed that Kevin didn't stay in Cholet this year.
"I really think playing one year in the Euroleague under Erman Kunter would have been great for Kevin to develop.
"But it's the NBA and there are many things to consider, the contract - that's big money.
"And I think that pushed him go to Washington."
Seraphin did average almost 11 minutes per game this season but Collet says it's not enough.
"Even if he plays a little, it's difficult for a young guy to develop," the coach said.
"Still, he's interesting. He has an incredible body.
"His body frame is huge and he's really impressed me, physically speaking. I'm sure he has potential."
The EuroBasket tips off on August 31.
rockymac52
Sixth Man
And1: 73

Post#545 » by rockymac52 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:57 am

I still like the Seraphin draft pick, and I like his potential. If he develops into what many believe he can, a Perkins type player for example, then that'd be great!

But the pessimist in me thinks Seraphin will never amount to anything. I'm skeptical of several of our young prospects, but most skeptical of Seraphin. Just don't see him getting it all together any time soon.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#546 » by Ruzious » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:42 am

closg00 wrote:Kevin is on the French national team FIBA roster as a replacement player. Not mentioned on any Wiz blog... pity.
http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/12/oly ... ofile.html

These comments from his former coach Vincent Collet won't surprise anyone here.
http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_4Q97TXMs ... de_on.html
Collet recently spoke about Mahinmi and Seraphin to Basketball World News.
He said: "I think they are not far from the team but I am disappointed that Kevin didn't stay in Cholet this year.
"I really think playing one year in the Euroleague under Erman Kunter would have been great for Kevin to develop.
"But it's the NBA and there are many things to consider, the contract - that's big money.
"And I think that pushed him go to Washington."
Seraphin did average almost 11 minutes per game this season but Collet says it's not enough.
"Even if he plays a little, it's difficult for a young guy to develop," the coach said.
"Still, he's interesting. He has an incredible body.
"His body frame is huge and he's really impressed me, physically speaking. I'm sure he has potential."
The EuroBasket tips off on August 31.

I'd point out to the French coach that Seraphin played only 15.6 minutes a game for them and in much fewer games than an NBA schedule, so I'm not sure he'd have gotten more minutes there. He still might be right that it would have been better for his development to have stayed there last season, but at least that gave him an opportunity to see what he needed to work on for the NBA. And hopefully, he's lost some weight and gotten quicker.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#547 » by verbal8 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:01 pm

rockymac52 wrote:I still like the Seraphin draft pick, and I like his potential. If he develops into what many believe he can, a Perkins type player for example, then that'd be great!

But the pessimist in me thinks Seraphin will never amount to anything. I'm skeptical of several of our young prospects, but most skeptical of Seraphin. Just don't see him getting it all together any time soon.

I think Seraphin is doing ok for a raw rookie. I think Wall and even Booker to some degree created unrealistic expectations for how much production you should expect from an NBA rookie.

He has severe issues with fouling excessively, but if he can cut down on that and continue progressing in other areas he should be a productive player.
closg00
RealGM

Post#548 » by closg00 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:18 pm

verbal8 wrote:
rockymac52 wrote:I still like the Seraphin draft pick, and I like his potential. If he develops into what many believe he can, a Perkins type player for example, then that'd be great!

I think Seraphin is doing ok for a raw rookie. I think Wall and even Booker to some degree created unrealistic expectations for how much production you should expect from an NBA rookie.

He has severe issues with fouling excessively, but if he can cut down on that and continue progressing in other areas he should be a productive player.

KS is showing what you would expect from a raw big guy who's only been playing basketball for 5-6 years? Like his former coach said, Kevin needed more time to properly develop basketball skills. If he wasn't ready for full-time minutes playing in the French league (B or C- Class compared to the Euro power houses) Playing spot minutes as an NBA back is setting-up Seraphin to fail.

BJ Mullens has been pretty-much been playing full-time in the Thunder's D-league team since he was drafted in 2009, Cole Aldrich the same and he was a 3-year college player.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#549 » by fishercob » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:49 pm

closg00 wrote:
verbal8 wrote:

KS is showing what you would expect from a raw big guy who's only been playing basketball for 5-6 years? Like his former coach said, Kevin needed more time to properly develop basketball skills. If he wasn't ready for full-time minutes playing in the French league (B or C- Class compared to the Euro power houses) Playing spot minutes as an NBA back is setting-up Seraphin to fail.

BJ Mullens has been pretty-much been playing full-time in the Thunder's D-league team since he was drafted in 2009, Cole Aldrich the same and he was a 3-year college player.

Correct, and to date neither have done anything at the NBA level. I know it's sacrilege, but the Wizards decided to take a different approach than OKC in developing Seraphin. Perhaps given the Caps' experiences with acclimating foreign players to American life, the Wizards brass thought their options through (Cholet, D-League) and decided bringing Seraphin to DC was best for his long term development. We shall see. I hope he makes the French roster, but he has a lot of competition.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,300

Post#550 » by nate33 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:08 pm

This subject came up before with respect to McGee. I'm not a big fan of utilizing the D-League to develop big men. There are only so many physically coordinated, strong 7-footers in the world, and most of them play in the NBA. The big men that play in the D League are hot garbage. An athletic big man like Seraphin should be able to dominate them based on sheer physical superiority. It won't really help him contend with real bigs on the NBA level. It'll probably just reinforce bad habits.

The D-League is useful for developing guards and swing men. That's because the physical difference between D-League swing men and NBA swing men is miniscule. Every once in a while, you see swing men or guards rise out of the D-Leagues to become a starting-caliber NBA players - guys like Mario Elie, Bruce Bowen, and Darrell Armstrong. You never see starting caliber big men who rose from the D-Leagues
rockymac52
Sixth Man
And1: 73

Post#551 » by rockymac52 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:00 pm

Agreed. Think about McGee in summer league. He was an absolute superstar there. Because he didn't have any real 7 footers with NBA talent to go up against, so he could ride the JaValevator all day. Then he gets to the NBA and is weak compared to everybody else. He would have tore up the D League for years, reinforcing his bad habits, and he'd be shell shocked when he got to the NBA.
fugop
Veteran
And1: 9

Post#552 » by fugop » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:59 pm

Marc Jackson, Francisco Elson, and Joel Anthony are probably the "best" late entry, non-Euroleague, bigs.

Ben Wallace and Brad Miller probably would have played in the d-league had such a thing existed a decade ago.
7-Day Dray
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#553 » by 7-Day Dray » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:17 pm

I think we would've sent Serpahin to the D-League eventually if we didn't have so many injuries. We needed him for depth.
closg00
RealGM

Post#554 » by closg00 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:27 pm

nate33 wrote:This subject came up before with respect to McGee. I'm not a big fan of utilizing the D-League to develop big men. There are only so many physically coordinated, strong 7-footers in the world, and most of them play in the NBA. The big men that play in the D League are hot garbage. An athletic big man like Seraphin should be able to dominate them based on sheer physical superiority. It won't really help him contend with real bigs on the NBA level. It'll probably just reinforce bad habits.

The D-League is useful for developing guards and swing men. That's because the physical difference between D-League swing men and NBA swing men is miniscule. Every once in a while, you see swing men or guards rise out of the D-Leagues to become a starting-caliber NBA players - guys like Mario Elie, Bruce Bowen, and Darrell Armstrong. You never see starting caliber big men who rose from the D-Leagues

I don't agree, wouldn't it depend on how-much playing-team Kevin is going to get at back-up? There is only so-much a raw player like Kevin is going to learn by playing practice basketball. Teams that drafted bigs but didn't have "learners minutes" available, all sent their players to the NBDL, Serpahin was the sole exception. Alabi, Whiteside, Pittman, Orton, Caracter, all were sent. Jerome Jordan was sent overseas for playing-time.

OTOH, next season should be different, Kevin is JaVale's back-up unless we sign a vet big, or Hamady beats him out for those scant minutes. Kevin should be able to play 10 mins a game, that might be enough.
closg00
RealGM

Post#555 » by closg00 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:08 pm

Mike Prada's breakdown of Kevin Seraphin's season, it's a good read.
http://www.bulletsforever.com/2011/7/21 ... n-seraphin

Hollingers Player Efficiency Rating link from the article.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinge ... ition%3dpf
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#556 » by Ruzious » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:41 pm

closg00 wrote:Mike Prada's breakdown of Kevin Seraphin's season, it's a good read.
http://www.bulletsforever.com/2011/7/21 ... n-seraphin

Hollingers Player Efficiency Rating link from the article.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinge ... ition%3dpf

Ouch, the truth hurts. Only Jared Jeffries ranked worse. Toughness is a great quality, but being tough and being really bad aren't mutually exclusive - as Seraphin showed. If he doesn't come in to next season (whenever that is) in much better shape, we've likely got a bust.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,300

Post#557 » by nate33 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:57 pm

I went and looked up the numbers in the hopes that Seraphin showed improvement throughout the course of the season. Unfortunately, he didn't. His PER in the first half of the season was 10.0. His PER in the 2nd half was just 8.0. The only stat where he showed improvement was in foul rate, which dropped from 8.7 per 36 to 6.7 per 36.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#558 » by montestewart » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:04 pm

nate33 wrote:I went and looked up the numbers in the hopes that Seraphin showed improvement throughout the course of the season. Unfortunately, he didn't. His PER in the first half of the season was 10.0. His PER in the 2nd half was just 8.0. The only stat where he showed improvement was in foul rate, which dropped from 8.7 per 36 to 6.7 per 36.

sooooooo . . . he can stay on the floor longer?
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Post#559 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:25 pm

nate33 wrote:I went and looked up the numbers in the hopes that Seraphin showed improvement throughout the course of the season. Unfortunately, he didn't. His PER in the first half of the season was 10.0. His PER in the 2nd half was just 8.0. The only stat where he showed improvement was in foul rate, which dropped from 8.7 per 36 to 6.7 per 36.

Ouch.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
JonathanJoseph
Bench Warmer
And1: 22

Post#560 » by JonathanJoseph » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:27 pm

It wasn't a terribly impressive year at all, but I'm also not at all concerned yet. Whether it's BJ Mullens or Brendan Haywood or Tyson Chandler, big men need at least a few years to figure out the NBA game.

Can you imagine what Brendan Haywood would have looked like at 20 years old?
Twitter: @jonathanjoseph

Return to Washington Wizards