Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,184

Re: Trevor Booker 

Post#81 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:06 pm

WallToWall wrote:
WizKit wrote:You guys forget that one of the greatest PF (Charles Barkley) with strength and hops was only 6'6 and some say he wasn't even really that tall. I am not trying to compare Sir Charles to Sir Booker and saying he will be the next Hall of famer, but give the kid a chance to play before everyone judges him. I bet everyone on this board thought Kwame Brown will be the next David Robinson the day after we drafted him. Let's all chill and judge his play on the court.

If Booker > 3/4 of Round Mound of Rebound then we made a good pick. Cant wait to see the dude play now.
:-)

That's weird, while I was watching the draft, even before the trade I thought "man that guy looks like a skinny Barkley"
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#82 » by Ruzious » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:08 pm

keynote wrote:Sounds like he could turn into a Corliss Williamson-type: an undersized but athletic banger who dominated in college, but who was force to develop a jumper and become a decent backup 3/4 at the next level.

Similar but different - in that Corliss was strictly a half court offensive player. Booker's not going to be the scorer Corliss was, but theoretically will be much more effective in transition.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#83 » by keynote » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:23 pm

That jumper of his ain't exactly a lost cause, form-wise.

FFWD to the 1m18s mark.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5JQbNFDj80#t=1m17s[/youtube]
BruceO
Sixth Man
And1: 311

Post#84 » by BruceO » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:53 pm

I hear he is super athletic, infact apparently he used to wrestle on WWF and went by his last name and first initial. Booker T ( for trevor). But he gave it up to start pimping. 8-)

Mr. Grundle
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#85 » by Mr. Grundle » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:04 pm

nate33 wrote:Did anybody around here watch many Clemson games? Any explanation as to why Booker dropped off so much in shooting this year.

In his junior year, Booker shot 41% from three and 71% from the line. In his senior year, he shot 26% from three and 59% from the line. Yuck. His rebounds, steals and blocks also dropped in his senior year.

I went to Clemson so I try to watch any games I can catch. Can't explain the drop in FT%. But he did attempt almost double the amount of 3's in 9-10 as he did in 08-09, and shooting from range is not his strong suit. I think he might have been just trying to show scouts he had outside range by shooting more and ended up hurting himself in the process, kind of like Stanley Robinson. I'm sure coming into his senior year people were telling him he'd have to develop an outside shot to make it in the pro's.

Another thing to consider is Booker has literally ZERO talent around him at Clemson. He had help from Terrance Oglesby and K.C. Rivers in 08-09, but after they graduated he was literally the only talent left on that team. He got double-teamed a ton in the post which might have something to do with him taking more outside shots as well.

He's gonna be a fan fav because of his athleticism and rebounding and toughness. I remember him playing either his sophomore or junior year with a cast on one arm because he broke his hand, and he still brought it strong. This is the type of energy bench guy we need.

His shot isn't bad either. I think he'll develop that Udonis Haslem midrange jumper quite nicely.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#86 » by DCZards » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:45 am

keynote wrote:Sounds like he could turn into a Corliss Williamson-type: an undersized but athletic banger who dominated in college, but who was force to develop a jumper and become a decent backup 3/4 at the next level.

Nah, he's much more athletic than williamson...and different body type.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#87 » by DCZards » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:50 am

He's athletic and hardworking. He excelled in one of the top conferences in the land. He had the best assist/turnover rank among all the PFs in the draft. He was also tops in steals. And he has 4 years of college hoops under his belt. I like it.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#88 » by Kanyewest » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:02 am

NbdyBeatsTheWiz wrote:
And add me to the list of guys who are excited about the young, scrappy, FAST team we'll have next year. John Wall is faster than Chris Paul. Booker is faster than John Wall. :o

BTW, is John Wall faster than athletic guys like Westbrook, Rose, and Rondo?
B-easy
Starter
And1: 509

Post#89 » by B-easy » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:11 am

^ with the ball he looks faster.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#90 » by MJG » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:17 am

WallToWall wrote:
WizKit wrote:You guys forget that one of the greatest PF (Charles Barkley) with strength and hops was only 6'6 and some say he wasn't even really that tall. I am not trying to compare Sir Charles to Sir Booker and saying he will be the next Hall of famer, but give the kid a chance to play before everyone judges him. I bet everyone on this board thought Kwame Brown will be the next David Robinson the day after we drafted him. Let's all chill and judge his play on the court.

If Booker > 3/4 of Round Mound of Rebound then we made a good pick. Cant wait to see the dude play now.
:-)

Ha if Booker > 1/4 of Barkley then we made a stellar move. If he's > 3/4 of Barkley then we have an all-time level steal on our hand.
BruceO
Sixth Man
And1: 311

Post#91 » by BruceO » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:47 am

I hope with his speed plus strength, size and athleticism we can play him in a Dennis Rodman role at the SF position. Offensively he can do damage in a non SF traditional way, defensively and on the boards for us I'd be comfortable with him in that role. Imagine this, if those speed numbers are correct and consistent, he likely is Lebron james size yet faster! Lebron has a semi PF body and his speed aids him alot to play SF. I hope we can play him for stretches next to Blatche. This team will be a really tough team. Infact there's a chance we might become the team with the most fight in the NBA, which is what I'm looking for. Been a while since I've seen tough teams.

BTW there's no well in Hell I will stop calling him Booker T. It fits too perfectly with the wrestlers name.
JRYCRL
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#92 » by JRYCRL » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:36 pm

I LOVE Trevor Booker. I love that we traded up for him giving up the 30th and 35th. I'd have been furious had we stayed at 30/35 and taken the two guys Minnesota took. Booker > both combined.

Gary Williams thinks he's a beast and knows he's a tremendously hard worker. He was the first senior taken and he's going to be on a mission to prove at least 10-15 teams who chose before the Wiz were wrong.

Love these things:

Not a long neck or head which is why his reach is 8'10" up in the air.
Low body fat. 7% is rediculous for a kid almost 6'8" and 238lbs.
Blazing fast up and down the court for a kid his size evidenced by sprint speeds in combines.
Outside shot is underated but you're not going to rely on him to be a clutch game changing jump shooter but he can shoot if left alone.
Brings toughness to a franchise that sorely needs it.

Go Trevor!
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,447

Post#93 » by mhd » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:05 pm

You know what I like? That Booker didn't have a press conference. He's no nonsense and just wants to play. Obviously Wall needed one because he's the 1st overall pick.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#94 » by WallToWall » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:06 pm

I watched a few YouTube moments of Booker, and have come to the conclusion that necks are overrated. He don' need no stinkin' neck. :-) This guy can jump. He will get a bunch of blocks, dunks, and be a force in the paint. His shot from the outside is not a lost cause. Looks like a solid pickup for the bench.
popper
Veteran
And1: 366

Post#95 » by popper » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:11 pm

Don't forget that the Wizards needed someone with the strength, size and speed to defend the Paul Pierce's and Labron James' of the league. He is a first team ACC defender. He will bloody his opponent up because he savors violent basketball.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#96 » by Krapinsky » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:19 pm

You guys will be pleasantly surprised with Booker. He'll be a 15-20 minute per game off the bench guy that comes in and mucks up the games. He's a spark player in that he'll give a lot of energy and will be able to get the fans in the seats enthused. Guys like that can change the outcome of a game. He'll be one of those guys that seems so solid in a role position that you'll want to give him more playing time.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
eltacoman
Junior
And1: 0

Post#97 » by eltacoman » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:48 am

i think he is Flips new Jason Maxiell they have alot of similarity soo im not soo down on this pick as i was on draft night ... hope the kid turns into a bigger Maxiell type of explosive player for us
did Flip Draft Maxiell also
Mizerooskie
Junior
And1: 36

Post#98 » by Mizerooskie » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:27 am

nate33 wrote:Did anybody around here watch many Clemson games? Any explanation as to why Booker dropped off so much in shooting this year.

In his junior year, Booker shot 41% from three and 71% from the line. In his senior year, he shot 26% from three and 59% from the line. Yuck. His rebounds, steals and blocks also dropped in his senior year.

He was the only offensive threat his senior year. Another poster mentinoed it earlier, but in his junior year, Terrance Oglesby and KC Rivers were legitimate outside shooting threats that kept the defense honest. When they left, defensive focused on either collapsing on Booker in the post, or denying any kind of post entry. Booker just generally had to take more difficult shots.

On the free-throw shooting, I think its just a case of him having a good junior year. I'm betting he'll improve in the NBA with increased repetitions, but I don't really see him being much better than a 65% FT shooter. It's easily the weakest part of his game.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,362

Post#99 » by doclinkin » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:39 am

Krapinsky wrote:You guys will be pleasantly surprised with Booker. He'll be a 15-20 minute per game off the bench guy that comes in and mucks up the games. He's a spark player in that he'll give a lot of energy and will be able to get the fans in the seats enthused. Guys like that can change the outcome of a game.

That's my impression too. The first hard foul and flex against LeBron and Wiz fans will be out of their seats the rest of the game. T Booker is a No Back Down kind of player. The size of the fight in his dog is mighty. As far as All Game energy and a clear enjoyment of the game he reminds me of Grandma Ma LJ Larry Johnson. Only without the sense of humor.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#100 » by keynote » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:58 am

BruceO wrote:I hear he is super athletic, infact apparently he used to wrestle on WWF and went by his last name and first initial. Booker T ( for trevor). But he gave it up to start pimping. 8-)

You know, the Booker T comparison is probably better, but I can't help but think of this guy:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg93R-kDJaY[/youtube]

If that song weren't so soft, the title would make it a nice song for the PA to play whenever Booker blocks a shot.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.

Return to Washington Wizards