ImageImageImageImageImage

Trevor Booker

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Re: Trevor Booker 

Post#561 » by closg00 » Thu Mar 1, 2012 10:24 pm

We do still lack one solid rebounder on this team.
The Consiglieri
Starter
And1: 510

Post#562 » by The Consiglieri » Fri Mar 2, 2012 5:29 pm

DCZards wrote:
Severn Hoos wrote:Oh, and it sure is fun to go back to the first few pages of this thread and see the handwringing - if not the pick itself, then definitely for the trade that brought us Booker. How have we managed without Solomon Alabi or Hassan Whiteside these past two years? ;-)

Yeah, I've thought recently about all the naysayers when the Zards moved up to draft Booker. Not to boast, but this is what I wrote the day after the Zards drafted Trevor.

We already know about Booker's toughness and motor...combine that with his maturity (4 years in a tough conference) and athleticism and methinks EG knew exactly what he was doing when he moved up to draft Booker. In the final analysis, picking 30 and 35 were crapshoots anyway (as another poster pointed out) so why not move up to make sure you get the guy you REALLY want...someone you also brought in for a workout.

Good call. I remember being bummed out, and wondering and doubting if it was the right move or not, just seemed like we could have waited longer to get him and still had toys to play with with other picks.

I'm very happy with him now. Turning 2 second rounders into a borderline starter/great role/bench player is very nice value. About 80% of guys where those two picks were slotted are flat out busts. Booker clearly isn't.

He won't make any difference in terms of turning us into a winner, but he's exactly the kind of piece that can help you when you're trying to move from being a 41 win team to a 45-50 win team. A couple of Bookers and you're over that hump. Very nice piece, and very nice call by you.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#563 » by Dat2U » Fri Mar 2, 2012 5:39 pm

He's becoming a very solid backup. A bit slow to react & rotate on D and can get manhandled by bigger and longer PFs but he's been a positive presence in many instances. Not a starter IMO and not untouchable but I could see him being a reliable rotation piece on a contender. He's arguably the second best player on the roster right now which tells you how talent deprived we really are.
The Consiglieri
Starter
And1: 510

Post#564 » by The Consiglieri » Fri Mar 2, 2012 5:40 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Not me. I can envision a lot of the Wizard players playing key roles on a 50-win team. Wall and Booker. Also, Blatche, Young, and McGee with the right veteran cast. Remember DeShawn Stevenson playing significant minutes in the NBA Finals? A lot of current Wizards can play in the right situation.

Right now, the losing has left a real bad impression. The mistakes by Javale McGee have people really thinking he's a worthless player, and Booker is better. I don't think so. Booker IS a scrapper and one feisty guy, but Javale can do things Trevor cannot dream of doing. McGee on the right team can contribute mightily.

Andray Blatche is a bum for the Wizards. Andray Blatche next to Kevin Garnett would not be a bum. Andray Blatche at C for the Heat would be better than what they have IMO. Blatche could also help a team like Portland, with Camby really slipping. How much better is Kendrick Perkins than Blatche, if at all? Andray could be a decent sixth man for a lot of teams.

Nick Young off the bench for the Lakers could help them. He's not a world-beater but he could contribute. He's not as good as James Harden. He's not as talented physically as Jr Smith. However, could you see Nick Young on the Bulls next to Derrick Rose? I sure could.

Washington's problem is they're too young all over and players just aren't a good fit with each other. Wall doesn't need slashers and streaky players who have no range around him. He needs shooters. Javale doesn't need an undersized PF or a soft slothful PF next to him, he needs a banger with size next to him.

As to who the Wizards could trade, I still say anybody can be traded. Wall won't be, but I suggested trading him for Irving in the past. Wall is great now, but anybody can be traded. I don't think I would be too upset if any Wizard were traded at this point. I think the thing the Wizards SHOULD DO is just move Blatche and Lewis off the roster. They should not move forward with Nick. It is time to part ways with Javale because of too many bad vibes, perhaps. Still, they might be better off getting Joerger as coach and getting a true PF next to McGee.

I think the talent on the Wizards is mainly just young and not a great fit. This team with a power player and some good three-point shooters would be much better. There are players on the Wizards who WILL BE CONTRIBUTORS on good teams for a long time IMO.

Im instinctively in severe disagreement with you, but then as I read into what you're saying it, I get it a little better.

The worst case scenario for these 3 clowns is what happened to their careers, to end up on the same team without legit veteran leadership. They needed to be sprinkled around the league with teams that had strong veteran leadership with great coaching. They ended up getting dumped into a sewer, together.

I think Blatche is basically a lost cause. IF the guy could get freaking shot, and not clean up his act? He's never going to get it period.

Young is Young, no need to bring him back, just let him be a chucker that contributes nothing else for a quality team that needs a shooter. I dont think he's worthless, I cheered his drafting as I felt he was the best value on the board at the time (and it appears he was for the most part). Get rid of him though, he doesnt carry value for us when we're trying to rebuild chemistry and create a good locker room.

McGee: Keep him. Never gonna get fair value, the guy has a huge ceiling, already is a good, if foolish, player, and with better veteran leadership and quality on the team, will produce better. As has already been noted at roto, he's set to be hit with a 10+ mill a year offer from the warriors this summer. He's at least a 10 mill per player. We need to keep him or trade him now or sign and trade him. I'd keep him because finding quality centers is murder, and he is one even if he has a 10 cent head.

Him minus the other two clowns can only help us. More bookers mixed in with another 1-2 elite franchise types, and a signing or two of legit starting FA's youngs, then were set. THat would be my 2 year plan. Booker's a nice piece of it. But sure, I dont think he's of more value than McGee and it isn't close. But we need to surround McGee with Booker mentality players if we hope to get the most out of him. An interesting conundrum.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,970

Post#565 » by DCZards » Fri Mar 2, 2012 6:52 pm

The Consiglieri wrote:The worst case scenario for these 3 clowns is what happened to their careers, to end up on the same team without legit veteran leadership. They needed to be sprinkled around the league with teams that had strong veteran leadership with great coaching. They ended up getting dumped into a sewer, together.

I don't know how many times I've read on this board that the Zards would be a different team if it had 1 or 2 veteran leaders. I totally agree. A guy like Mo Evans fits that mold in many respects but when you're not a starter or an impact player you often get discounted by the young knuckleheads who are getting the PT.

The player who has suffered most from this sorry situation has been Wall, who is really not ready to be a "leader" but has had that role dropped in his lap.

What the Zards need is an Antwan Jamison, who, despite his shortcomings, is a highly-respected vet and real pro. I watch a lot of Cavs games and it's obvious that Antwan's on-court presence and leadership is having a significant and positive impact on Irving's play/development.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#566 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Mar 2, 2012 8:20 pm

The Consiglieri wrote:

Im instinctively in severe disagreement with you, but then as I read into what you're saying it, I get it a little better.

The worst case scenario for these 3 clowns is what happened to their careers, to end up on the same team without legit veteran leadership. They needed to be sprinkled around the league with teams that had strong veteran leadership with great coaching. They ended up getting dumped into a sewer, together.

I think Blatche is basically a lost cause. IF the guy could get freaking shot, and not clean up his act? He's never going to get it period.

When did Andray get shot or arrested again? :lol:

Celebrating "Lap Dance Tuesday" and getting his drink on, notwithstanding, Andray's problem is he's been overweight and/or injured. His performance doesn't matched his contract. Never will, most likely. Still, he's far from the most overpaid NBA player. (See Rashard Lewis).

If Juwan Howard at $20Mil bones per can be moved, so can Andray. As P. T. Barnum once said, "There's a sucker born every minute."

Young is Young, no need to bring him back, just let him be a chucker that contributes nothing else for a quality team that needs a shooter. I dont think he's worthless, I cheered his drafting as I felt he was the best value on the board at the time (and it appears he was for the most part). Get rid of him though, he doesnt carry value for us when we're trying to rebuild chemistry and create a good locker room.

McGee: Keep him. Never gonna get fair value, the guy has a huge ceiling, already is a good, if foolish, player, and with better veteran leadership and quality on the team, will produce better. As has already been noted at roto, he's set to be hit with a 10+ mill a year offer from the warriors this summer. He's at least a 10 mill per player. We need to keep him or trade him now or sign and trade him. I'd keep him because finding quality centers is murder, and he is one even if he has a 10 cent head.

Him minus the other two clowns can only help us. More bookers mixed in with another 1-2 elite franchise types, and a signing or two of legit starting FA's youngs, then were set. THat would be my 2 year plan. Booker's a nice piece of it. But sure, I dont think he's of more value than McGee and it isn't close. But we need to surround McGee with Booker mentality players if we hope to get the most out of him. An interesting conundrum.

I have no problem keeping Javale at around 8.5 Mil, max, per year for no more than 4 years. But I don't know if that is the prudent thing to do at this point.

I believe the Wizards and the McGees (Javale and Pam are a package deal) have too much animus between them to move forward successfully, barring some miracle hire at head coach. if the Wizards tender a one-year, and they get Dave Joerger, that would be the best thing IMO. Barring either of those two things happening, I think it makes a ton of sense to field all offers for McGee. Anything that returns a 1st round pick is a win, so long as they don't take back a terrible contract. (Haywood is a mildly bad contract, but not terrible, if a 1st comes in return for Javale's bird rights, IMO).

Consiglieri, I think the worst thing wrong with all three young guys, Blatche, Young, and McGee; are they are Wizards. DeShawn talked stuff and was on the winning side in the NBA finals. Lebron didn't come outside (per him) for something like three weeks. DeShawn had his moment in the sun, after all. Nick could do that, too, if he played on a talented team. Blatche has enough size with some game that he could have a Robert Horry moment here and there. He could be a winner. Same with Javale, who you like.

Those guys need a change of venue.
Bye bye Beal.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#567 » by Dat2U » Fri Mar 2, 2012 9:00 pm

DCZards wrote:I don't know how many times I've read on this board that the Zards would be a different team if it had 1 or 2 veteran leaders. I totally agree. A guy like Mo Evans fits that mold in many respects but when you're not a starter or an impact player you often get discounted by the young knuckleheads who are getting the PT.

The player who has suffered most from this sorry situation has been Wall, who is really not ready to be a "leader" but has had that role dropped in his lap.

What the Zards need is an Antwan Jamison, who, despite his shortcomings, is a highly-respected vet and real pro. I watch a lot of Cavs games and it's obvious that Antwan's on-court presence and leadership is having a significant and positive impact on Irving's play/development.

I agree with you. A vet's influence is based on the on-court impact he has on his team. Evans & Mason are good guys for sure, but their impact is muted because their on court role is a very limited one.

These young guys need vets that will hold them accountable DURING the game, not just in the locker room or huddle.

But Jamison was not the right type of vet. His aversion to defense was just too pronounced. And his effort was too much in question on that side of the ball. The culture during the Arenas/EJ/Jamison area was one were defense was considered an afterthought and Jamison had a key role in establishing that culture.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#568 » by nate33 » Fri Mar 2, 2012 9:43 pm

Dat2U wrote:
DCZards wrote:I don't know how many times I've read on this board that the Zards would be a different team if it had 1 or 2 veteran leaders. I totally agree. A guy like Mo Evans fits that mold in many respects but when you're not a starter or an impact player you often get discounted by the young knuckleheads who are getting the PT.

I agree with you. A vet's influence is based on the on-court impact he has on his team. Evans & Mason are good guys for sure, but their impact is muted because their on court role is a very limited one.

These young guys need vets that will hold them accountable DURING the game, not just in the locker room or huddle.

But Jamison was not the right type of vet. His aversion to defense was just too pronounced. And his effort was too much in question on that side of the ball. The culture during the Arenas/EJ/Jamison area was one were defense was considered an afterthought and Jamison had a key role in establishing that culture.

Agree that Jamison isn't the right kind of vet. A guy we should target is Emeka Okafor. He's a hard working vet who will actually play significant minutes at a position of need. If we can turn Blatche + Young + cap relief into Okafor, that would be a great move for us.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,970

Post#569 » by DCZards » Fri Mar 2, 2012 9:43 pm

Dat2U wrote:But Jamison was not the right type of vet. His aversion to defense was just too pronounced. And his effort was too much in question on that side of the ball. The culture during the Arenas/EJ/Jamison area was one were defense was considered an afterthought and Jamison had a key role in establishing that culture.

Jamsion's defense is indeed a liability...but I think he's been a positive influence on Irving's oncourt poise and patience, and would have done the same for Wall. Sometimes you just have to take the good ('Twan's maturity) with the bad ('Twan's defense).
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#570 » by tontoz » Thu Mar 8, 2012 2:41 am

Monster game against the Lakers, 18/17. :bowdown:
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#571 » by nate33 » Thu Mar 8, 2012 2:47 am

I absolutely love Booker. I haven't loved a Wizard player this much since Caron Butler during the peak of his "Tough Juice" days.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#572 » by GhostsOfGil » Thu Mar 8, 2012 3:01 am

tontoz wrote:I like Booker but his current rebound rate of 14 doesn't compare well with Milsap's rookie mark of 17.4. With his athleticism there is no reason for him not to be a strong rebounder. His effort on the boards just doesn't seem to be there a lot of nights.

I definitely like what i see from him on offense and defense, but the rebounding needs some attention. Milsap is currently 12th among 4s in rebound rate. Booker is 34th.

17 rebounds. Maybe he read this post :lol:
tontoz
RealGM

Post#573 » by tontoz » Thu Mar 8, 2012 3:44 am

I am on his Twitter. I send him positive tweets consistently but a couple of times i mentioned that his rebounding needs to improve. The first time i did it he got 15 rebounds the next game. After the GS game i mentioned that he was ranked 36th in rebounding among power forwards.

I am dead serious. :lol:

I like what i have seen from you on offense but right now you rank 36th among power forwards in rebounding rate. @35_Fitz

9:47 PM - 5 Mar 12via web · Embed this TweetReply
Delete
Favorite
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#574 » by hands11 » Thu Mar 8, 2012 4:21 am

nate33 wrote:I absolutely love Booker. I haven't loved a Wizard player this much since Caron Butler during the peak of his "Tough Juice" days.

I just watched his interview and come on the say the same thing.

I have never had a man crush before. I dont know what to do. Hold me. :lol:
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#575 » by Nivek » Thu Mar 8, 2012 2:59 pm

Games like this are why I wanted Booker in the starting lineup. It's hard not to love a guy who plays that frigging hard.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#576 » by fishercob » Thu Mar 8, 2012 3:04 pm

That three pointer at the end of the first half proved huge.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#577 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 8, 2012 3:13 pm

tontoz wrote:I am on his Twitter. I send him positive tweets consistently but a couple of times i mentioned that his rebounding needs to improve. The first time i did it he got 15 rebounds the next game. After the GS game i mentioned that he was ranked 36th in rebounding among power forwards.

I am dead serious. :lol:

I like what i have seen from you on offense but right now you rank 36th among power forwards in rebounding rate. @35_Fitz

9:47 PM - 5 Mar 12via web · Embed this TweetReply
Delete
Favorite

Good job! While Booker has already exceeded my expectations, I never understood why he wasn't a better rebounder - even at Clemson - since he's so physical and aggressive. Theoretically, that should be his best attribute. Maybe you got through to him.

If only his physicality would rub off on Javale. And if only Booker and Seraphin were each 2 inches taller...
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#578 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 8, 2012 3:16 pm

Nivek wrote:Games like this are why I wanted Booker in the starting lineup. It's hard not to love a guy who plays that frigging hard.

What impressed me is that he did it playing 38 minutes. If he was just an energy guy (like I used to say), he'd tap out after 25 or so.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
tontoz
RealGM

Post#579 » by tontoz » Thu Mar 8, 2012 3:21 pm

^Rebounding takes a certain mindset. Love says he assumes every shot will miss and tries to get every rebound. That is why he gets so many.

Reggie Evans is gravity bound and on the short side but is a beast on the boards because he knows rebounding is the only reason he is in the NBA.

Booker just doesn't focus on rebounding consistently.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,332

Post#580 » by dobrojim » Thu Mar 8, 2012 4:14 pm

fishercob wrote:That three pointer at the end of the first half proved huge.

positive vibes

there you go

kinda strange that Wall gave it up almost too late to
allow Book to get the shot off.

I don't think he's made many 3s in his career at least
partly because he never takes any.

Huge shot and morale booster.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities

Return to Washington Wizards