Trevor Booker

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

JonathanJoseph
Bench Warmer
And1: 22

Re: Trevor Booker 

Post#21 » by JonathanJoseph » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:44 am

mohammed10 wrote:
nate33 wrote:Looks like a tweener. Too unskilled for SF, too small for PF. And given that he is already 22, it's hard to believe he'll ever develop the skill to be a SF. I figure his maximum upside is James Singleton. Yay.

Nate, I think this draft is GMEG's Waterloo. He needs to resign after this travishamockery of a draft.

Dude, what are you talking about? The dudes haven't even played a summer league game yet. Can you give them until maybe training camp before you start condemning the draft?
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,446

Post#22 » by mhd » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:48 am

TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#23 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:49 am

From ESPN

Jun 2 Update: Q: What player in this draft is getting less attention than he deserves?

David Thorpe: I'd lean heavily to Trevor Booker. NBA execs mention Paul Millsap and Carl Landry when they are discussing Booker. Um, hello? Those are two of the top 18 power forwards in the game! Booker has the "beast" mentality with long arms -- a perfect combination. If his neck was an inch longer, he'd be a lottery candidate. Who cares about neck length?

Q: What player outside of Chad Ford's top 30 could you plug into the rotation of one of the teams in the Finals?

Fran Fraschilla: Trevor Booker gets my vote too. I have always advocated for second-round selections who have what I call "winning skills." These are players that bring high energy on the court, a specific high-level skill and are low maintenance off the court. Booker fits this perfectly.

After four years as an ACC starter, he has competed against -- and in some cases dominated -- guys who are already in the NBA. His power, explosive jumping ability, nose for the ball and experience would make for a great rotation player early in his career on a team like the Celtics. Think of him as a Glen Davis or Leon Powe type, both of whom had knocks on them coming out of college, but helped the Celtics win a title in 2008.

May 31 Update: Booker is an undersized 4 but has a great motor, good athleticism and toughness. He needs to prove he can be an energy player in the mold of Jason Maxiell, Carl Landry and DeJuan Blair. How can he do that? The same way Landry did, by going into every workout and physically dominating. In the late first round, teams are looking for toughness and the ability to help right away. Booker could fit that bill.

Jan 26 Update: Over the course of the past month, Booker is playing like a man on a mission. He is the master of the angry slam -- devastating opponents with his rim-rocking dunks.

After getting off to a so-so start, he is putting together a monster January. He had 21 and 9 against UNC, went for 19 and 9 against Georgia Tech and had 22 and 6 against Duke on Saturday.

He reminds scouts of a player like Jason Maxiell. While he's not a mortal lock for the first round, he's been playing like he's one all month.

Nov 24 Update: We spent some time breaking down Booker's game in our most recent blog entry. Some scouts love him; others are wary of 6-foot-7 (or smaller) power forwards. But few can doubt that he plays with ferocity on both ends of the floor. And that style has been successful in the NBA.

Nov 20 Update: Booker is, in a word, a beast. He's a physical wrecking ball who has elite strength and athleticism. He is a terrific rebounder and shot blocker and has been an emerging force on the offensive end as well.

The problem is that Booker suffers from the same syndrome that DeJuan Blair, Paul Millsap and Carl Landry did -- he's short. While he's listed at 6-foot-7, a lot of scouts feel he'll come in closer to 6-6 and maybe even shorter. He makes up for some of his weaknesses with a long wingspan and explosive leaping ability, but it's a concern for some.

The range on Booker was also wide. Some teams have him as a potential late lottery pick, citing the success of players like Millsap and Landry. Others remain skeptical that players his size can be anything more than role players off the bench. A huge year at Clemson could change some minds and move him more solidly into the first round. If he doesn't progress, he could be a second-round pick.

April 15 Update: Booker flirted with the NBA Draft, but made a good decision by coming back to school. Teams love his toughness in the paint. If he continues to improve offensively, he's got a shot at the first round.
sfam
Assistant Coach
And1: 548

Post#24 » by sfam » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:59 am

Ji wrote:TED LEONSIS IS A FAILURE SO FAR AT NBA.....stick to hockey. We need a new owner

This gets my award for biggest overreaction of the week. Do you think most Caps fans said the same thing when Leonsis dumped half his team to rebuild? What are they saying now?

Ted is letting EG do his thing this year. If it ends up that they suck, he'll can EG's butt, and pick someone else. Really, do you think Ted should be directing the picks??? He really didn't have time to instill a new FO prior to the draft, so this sentiment really makes no sense to me.
cdouglas
Veteran
And1: 81

Post#25 » by cdouglas » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:06 am

Severn Hoos wrote:Fun fact for the night: We just added the two fastest sprint times from the combine.

Shocking fact: John Wall was #2.

Now, imagine Booker running the wings on the break with Wall. Even if someone could beat him down the court, you think they're going to take the charge?

Yeah, this might just work out after all.

You say Wall is #2 and who is the #1 sprinter?
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#26 » by Severn Hoos » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:11 am

Trevor Booker. Seriously. 3.10 seconds.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-dra ... ll&sort=16
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,524

Post#27 » by closg00 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:14 am

mohammed10 wrote:
nate33 wrote:Looks like a tweener. Too unskilled for SF, too small for PF. And given that he is already 22, it's hard to believe he'll ever develop the skill to be a SF. I figure his maximum upside is James Singleton. Yay.

Nate, I think this draft is GMEG's Waterloo. He needs to resign after this travishamockery of a draft.

I certainly hope that Ernie get's flamed on his draft grade in the media and that Ted's people tell him that Ernie MUST go.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,990

Post#28 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:18 am

yungal07 wrote:He's not a tweener. He's an undersized power forward. He's like a Kenny Thomas clone.

This is a great comparison.
JonathanJoseph
Bench Warmer
And1: 22

Post#29 » by JonathanJoseph » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:18 am

closg00 wrote:
mohammed10 wrote:

I certainly hope that Ernie get's flamed on his draft grade in the media and that Ted's people tell him that Ernie MUST go.
Maybe we let the players step on the floor before we declare the draft a bust and fire the GM because of it?
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#30 » by mohammed10 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:07 am

JonathanJoseph wrote:Maybe we let the players step on the floor before we declare the draft a bust and fire the GM because of it?

JJ- Nah, that's not how this board rolls...
wake20
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#31 » by wake20 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:25 am

As a Wake grad, I've watched Booker for a while now and while he's a fine player, there's no reason to trade up to get him at #23. We easily could have grabbed him at 30 or 35 while picking up a Hassan Whiteside or Solomon Alabi as well. Instead, we take N'diaye who's a poor man's Alabi/Whiteside.
leswizards
Pro Prospect
And1: 209

Post#32 » by leswizards » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:27 am

Some of the posters seem to think Booker is a decent player, but hate the fact that EG traded up to get him. I just want to offer the thought that maybe EG didn't trade up to get him. Instead it might be possible that Minnesota took him on their own with the plans of keeping him. EG and the Wizards then decided that Booker was the player they really wanted at 30, but since he was off the board and they didn't like any of their other options that were likely to be available, they would offer the 30th and 35th to Minnesota for Booker and the 56th.
RickRoll_inDC
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#33 » by RickRoll_inDC » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:31 am

Severn Hoos wrote:Fun fact for the night: We just added the two fastest sprint times from the combine.

Shocking fact: John Wall was #2.

Now, imagine Booker running the wings on the break with Wall. Even if someone could beat him down the court, you think they're going to take the charge?

Yeah, this might just work out after all.

That might have been the 2nd most exciting thing I heard all night (other than "with the 1st pick in the 2010 NBA Draft......)

And who the heck cares where we drafted him? I'm sure that he's the guy that EG wanted. He probably wouldn't have been there at 30 and Minny was the only one to take the deal or something. I'm not upset by this pick at all.

I mentioned it in another thread, be he reminds me of a bigger DMac
bej6789
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#34 » by bej6789 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:35 am

Booker's a great pick, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. The Wizards have a big who can't play man to man defense, his name is Javale Mcgee. Booker is the exact type of player the Wizards need to start drafting. Think Dejuan Blair vol. 2, maybe a bit worse. If you re-drafted the previous years draft, Blair would go a whole heck of a lot earlier. The Wizards weren't getting a franchise player at 30, or at 23 -- but they got a solid, reliable big man who finally adds attitude to the post.

GREAT pick, not a good pick, a GREAT one for EG.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#35 » by WallToWall » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:59 am

Booker's stats from the combine....
1. 2nd in bench press -22
2. 1st in the 3-quarter court sprint - 3.1 second run
3. tenth in lane agility - 11.15 seconds
4. tied for sixth in no-step veritcal jump - 31 inches
5. tied for eigth in max vertical jump - 36.0 inches

He showed range with his shots, making mid-range, and shots just inside the arc. I think he can play SF and PF, depending on matchups. If he can play SF, then we got a good pick. He can use his strength and weight (235 lbs), combined with his quickness, hops, and speed to create matchup problems for other teams.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#36 » by keynote » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:04 am

I also like the fact that Booker put up 22 reps on the bench - good for second highest at the combine. And, the other guys putting up 20+ reps certainly weren't also packing a 36" vertical. That combination of strength + quick + ups is great.

The flip side is that he's short - with an unimpressive wingspan. But, as a late 1st rounder, why not? With that lane agility, he might end up being quick enough to defend the 3.

Put me down as liking the pick, based on what I know now.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,330

Post#37 » by dobrojim » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:42 am

Booker seems like a solid pick.

I don't accept all these arm-chair GMs that know for a fact that
Booker would have been available later. Exactly how do they
know these things? Because they read it in someone's mock?
Maybe they're right but the thing is, we'll probably never
know for sure which makes it awfully easy to criticize.

GMs make mistakes all the time but you don't
know it for years in some cases.

How many teams passed on Stockton and Malone both?
(not saying Booker is a future HOFer) I just refuse to
pretend I know what no one can know for sure at this
point in time.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,345

Post#38 » by Kanyewest » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:55 am

leswizards wrote:Some of the posters seem to think Booker is a decent player, but hate the fact that EG traded up to get him. I just want to offer the thought that maybe EG didn't trade up to get him. Instead it might be possible that Minnesota took him on their own with the plans of keeping him. EG and the Wizards then decided that Booker was the player they really wanted at 30, but since he was off the board and they didn't like any of their other options that were likely to be available, they would offer the 30th and 35th to Minnesota for Booker and the 56th.

That's entirely possible.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#39 » by willbcocks » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:56 am

WallToWall wrote:Booker's stats from the combine....
1. 2nd in bench press -22
2. 1st in the 3-quarter court sprint - 3.1 second run
3. tenth in lane agility - 11.15 seconds
4. tied for sixth in no-step veritcal jump - 31 inches
5. tied for eigth in max vertical jump - 36.0 inches

He showed range with his shots, making mid-range, and shots just inside the arc. I think he can play SF and PF, depending on matchups. If he can play SF, then we got a good pick. He can use his strength and weight (235 lbs), combined with his quickness, hops, and speed to create matchup problems for other teams.

He sounds like he can play SF on the defensive end but not the offensive end. Man, we are going to be missing a lot of shots next year. But hopefully playing tough and aggresive D. Should be a blast too watch--my MO was always missing shots and playing D, so I'm liking it. Just dump Gil somehow so our restart is complete...
cdouglas
Veteran
And1: 81

Post#40 » by cdouglas » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:40 am

Severn Hoos wrote:Trevor Booker. Seriously. 3.10 seconds.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-dra ... ll&sort=16

Wow! I think I'll keep my mouth shut and do my research before I comment on anything this franchise does from now on. :oops:

Return to Washington Wizards