Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Re: Trevor Booker 

Post#41 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:15 pm

JonathanJoseph wrote:
closg00 wrote:
mohammed10 wrote:Nate, I think this draft is GMEG's Waterloo. He needs to resign after this travishamockery of a draft.

I certainly hope that Ernie get's flamed on his draft grade in the media and that Ted's people tell him that Ernie MUST go.
Maybe we let the players step on the floor before we declare the draft a bust and fire the GM because of it?

It's not so much that he's a bust or not a bust. I don't dislike the pick. I dislike the fact we gave up so much when we probably could have gotten him at 30. Ernie buys high again.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,154

Post#42 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:24 pm

I think Minny picked him and then EG traded for him. Be interesting to ask EG about it.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,072

Post#43 » by nate33 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:42 pm

leswizards wrote:Some of the posters seem to think Booker is a decent player, but hate the fact that EG traded up to get him. I just want to offer the thought that maybe EG didn't trade up to get him. Instead it might be possible that Minnesota took him on their own with the plans of keeping him. EG and the Wizards then decided that Booker was the player they really wanted at 30, but since he was off the board and they didn't like any of their other options that were likely to be available, they would offer the 30th and 35th to Minnesota for Booker and the 56th.

Good point. I hadn't considered that. If this is indeed the case, then I take back my complaints about the move. I have no idea if Booker is going to be a good pick so I'm not going to complain on that front yet. My gripe was that I thought he'd be available at #30. Maybe I was wrong..
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#44 » by WizStorm » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:09 pm

I seriously doubt that Minnesota actually drafted Booker on their own. If Minnesota was so enamored with Booker to draft him at #23, I find it hard to believe they would've been so quick to jump on an offer that basically just swapped picks in the "crap shoot" portion of the draft. I find it 100% more plausible that EG and Wizards got so enamored with the kid that they simply did whatever they could to ensure that they traded up high enough to secure Booker without sacrificing picks in the draft.

Not sure if anyone noticed, but the picks in the late 1st and 2nd round were all over the map if you compare them to the actual mocks. I don't think you can say with any certainty that who would've gone where just because a mock draft said so. I find it humorous that at pick #17, many posters were calling for Whiteside or Alabi to be the pick and were bitching and moaning about Seraphin and Booker being huge reaches because they could've have been with later picks. Yet it was actually Alibi and Whiteside that would've been the huge reaches as they weren't actually (not mocked) picked until late 2nd round.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#45 » by nate33 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:17 pm

WizStorm wrote:I seriously doubt that Minnesota actually drafted Booker on their own. If Minnesota was so enamored with Booker to draft him at #23, I find it hard to believe they would've been so quick to jump on an offer that basically just swapped picks in the "crap shoot" portion of the draft. I find it 100% more plausible that EG and Wizards got so enamored with the kid that they simply did whatever they could to ensure that they traded up high enough to secure Booker without sacrificing picks in the draft.

I don't know what to think. It may not have been that MInnesota was "enamored" with Booker. Booker may simply have been the best guy left on their draft board so they went ahead and drafted him. Then EG gives them a call and says he'll give them the #30 and the #35 for Booker and Minny agreed because they weren't all that high on Booker anyhow.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#46 » by Ruzious » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:25 pm

nate33 wrote:
WizStorm wrote:I seriously doubt that Minnesota actually drafted Booker on their own. If Minnesota was so enamored with Booker to draft him at #23, I find it hard to believe they would've been so quick to jump on an offer that basically just swapped picks in the "crap shoot" portion of the draft. I find it 100% more plausible that EG and Wizards got so enamored with the kid that they simply did whatever they could to ensure that they traded up high enough to secure Booker without sacrificing picks in the draft.

I don't know what to think. It may not have been that MInnesota was "enamored" with Booker. Booker may simply have been the best guy left on their draft board so they went ahead and drafted him. Then EG gives them a call and says he'll give them the #30 and the #35 for Booker and Minny agreed because they weren't all that high on Booker anyhow.

From EG's comments, I don't think Minnesota picked Booker for Washington. It sounded like EG was going close to the wire hoping players would drop to him at 30 and 35. It was only when he realized they wouldn't fall that he made the trade. I suspect that if Minny had picked for Washington, the pick would have been Pondexter. He just makes more sense.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#47 » by WizStorm » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:27 pm

nate33 wrote:

If they weren't enamored with anyone left on their draft board at #23, then why is there all the fuss about where the guy was picked? Again, at that point in the draft it's a complete "crap shoot" anyways and if some team is enamored with guy, and obviously the Wizards were, might as well secure him when you have the chance.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#48 » by closg00 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:29 pm

^^^^
This appears to be the case, I'm cool with it since that is who we wanted, but I do wonder if Booker is THAT much better than re-signing Singleton.
Wizards team President Ernie Grunfeld said among the team's top priorities in this draft was to add toughness, and thus it made a deal with Minnesota for the No. 23 and 56 picks in exchange for the 30th and 35th selections.

"There were two or three guys we were looking at, and we were hoping to get two players that we were really looking at at 30 and 35, but it didn't look like it was going to happen," Grunfeld said, "and we wanted to make sure that we got the player we were looking at, and that's the reason we moved up, because if we stayed at 30 and 35, we could have lost both those players."
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man

Post#49 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:45 pm

Booker should make Blatche's life hell in practice (Hollinger pointed this out in an article today). Me likey.

Hopefully he lives up to these Millsap comparisons I keep reading from "experts".
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,917

Post#50 » by DCZards » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:08 pm

I'm liking the Booker pick more and more...especially given what I read here about his speed, weight reps., agility, leaping ability. etc. I had read (but forgoten) some of the comments from the experts about him being someone who wasn't getting enough love before the draft.

We already know about Booker's toughness and motor...combine that with what his maturity (4 years in a tough conference) and athleticism and methinks EG knew exactly what he was doing when he moved up to draft Booker. In the final analysis, picking 30 and 35 were crapshoots anyway (as another poster pointed out) so why not move up to make sure you get the guy you REALLY want...someone you also brought in for a workout.
B-easy
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#51 » by B-easy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:14 pm

anyone see a little of Beasley in Booker?
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,302

Post#52 » by dobrojim » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:22 pm

WallToWall wrote:Booker's stats from the combine....
1. 2nd in bench press -22
2. 1st in the 3-quarter court sprint - 3.1 second run
3. tenth in lane agility - 11.15 seconds
4. tied for sixth in no-step veritcal jump - 31 inches
5. tied for eigth in max vertical jump - 36.0 inches

He showed range with his shots, making mid-range, and shots just inside the arc. I think he can play SF and PF, depending on matchups. If he can play SF, then we got a good pick. He can use his strength and weight (235 lbs), combined with his quickness, hops, and speed to create matchup problems for other teams.

just for the fun of it I wonder how those ^ numbers compare
to the guy we all coveted last year, Blake Griffin?
Yes I understand Booker is not Griffin. Could be a poor mans Griffin
though and that might not turn out to be that bad.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#53 » by nate33 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:29 pm

dobrojim wrote:just for the fun of it I wonder how those ^ numbers compare
to the guy we all coveted last year, Blake Griffin?
Yes I understand Booker is not Griffin. Could be a poor mans Griffin
though and that might not turn out to be that bad.

Code: Select all

Name            Hgt      Wgt   Wingspa   Reach   Mx Vrt   Agility
Blake Griffin   6' 10    248   6' 11.2   8' 9    35.5     10.95 
Trevor Booker   6' 7.5   236   6' 9.75   8' 10   36       11.15 
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#54 » by nate33 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:32 pm

Pretty good comparison physically. Booker has no neck so his height is lacking, but his standing reach is comparable and his agility, jumping ability and sprint are similar. (Booker is .18 seconds faster on the sprint.)

One small issue is that Griffin managed his athletic feats while carrying an extra 12 pounds. How much athleticism will Booker lose if he gets up to an NBA playing weight of 245.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,302

Post#55 » by dobrojim » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:38 pm

I thought Griffin actually measured shorter but thanks for
putting that up.

Good catch by whoever it was (Sev?) that originally posted the speed number.
That's intriguing given we have Wall plus Gil as a 2 probably ranks pretty high.

I think this will be a fun and interesting, hard working team to watch
next year.
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man

Post#56 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:51 pm

B-easy wrote:anyone see a little of Beasley in Booker?

A lil Millsap is what the experts say. Some around these parts Carl Landry. I could see him playing a Jason Maxiell role. Maxiell is only 6'7 but his athleticism makes him seem a lot bigger. Booker uses every bit of his 36" vertical, thats for sure.

I'm warming up to him more and more. IF he lives up to any of those comparisons, I can't really knock EG for trading up to make sure we got him either (but you could put those kind of "if"s with any rookie right now).

And add me to the list of guys who are excited about the young, scrappy, FAST team we'll have next year. John Wall is faster than Chris Paul. Booker is faster than John Wall. :o
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#57 » by LyricalRico » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:15 pm

NbdyBeatsTheWiz wrote:And add me to the list of guys who are excited about the young, scrappy, FAST team we'll have next year. John Wall is faster than Chris Paul. Booker is faster than John Wall. :o

+1
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#58 » by Ruzious » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:58 pm

NbdyBeatsTheWiz wrote:
B-easy wrote:anyone see a little of Beasley in Booker?

A lil Millsap is what the experts say. Some around these parts Carl Landry. I could see him playing a Jason Maxiell role. Maxiell is only 6'7 but his athleticism makes him seem a lot bigger. Booker uses every bit of his 36" vertical, thats for sure.

I'm warming up to him more and more. IF he lives up to any of those comparisons, I can't really knock EG for trading up to make sure we got him either (but you could put those kind of "if"s with any rookie right now).

And add me to the list of guys who are excited about the young, scrappy, FAST team we'll have next year. John Wall is faster than Chris Paul. Booker is faster than John Wall. :o

Maxiel is shorter but has the most freaky long arms in the NBA, so no. I don't think Booker can match up in the half court against NBA 4's.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 936

Post#59 » by WallToWall » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:09 pm

For folks who have actually seen Booker and his game...
Does he have 10-15 lbs that he can loose? If so, will that enable him to play SF? Does he have enough of a shot from the outside?
I only saw him at the combine, and well, they arent exactly playing very hard at that time. He seemed to have a decent shot. Any ACC or Clemson fan out there who can answer?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#60 » by nate33 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:12 pm

Code: Select all

Name            Year   Ht.       Wt.   Span      Reach    Fat
Carl Landry     2007   6' 8.5    248   6' 11     8' 6.5   7.5
Jason Maxiell   2005   6' 6.25   258   7' 3.25   8' 11    - 
Paul Millsap    2006   6' 7.25   258   7' 1.5    8' 9.5   9.7
Trevor Booker   2010   6' 7.5    236   6' 9.75   8' 10    7.3

Name            NS Vrt   Mx Vrt   Bnch   Agility   Sprint   Drafted
Carl Landry     31.5     36.5     21     11.35     3.29     31     
Jason Maxiell   -        -        -      -         -        26     
Paul Millsap    28.5     32.5     15     11.67     3.3      47     
Trevor Booker   31       36       22     11.15     3.1      17   

The big difference between Booker and other successful undersized PF's is the wingspan. Maxiell and Millsap in particular have freakish wingspans relative to their heights. (I'm not even sure if Maxiell is human.) Booker has a comparable standing reach though. And he compares favorably on the athletic skills.

Return to Washington Wizards