ImageImageImageImageImage

Trevor Booker

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Re: Trevor Booker 

Post#681 » by Nivek » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:53 pm

I'd take the guy who's actually produced something or a third option altogether. It'd be nuts to give Vesely a spot in the rotation unless he's radically improved.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#682 » by jivelikenice » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:01 pm

Nivek wrote:I'd take the guy who's actually produced something or a third option altogether. It'd be nuts to give Vesely a spot in the rotation unless he's radically improved.

Third option would have been fine. I don't know what it is that Booker has produced in the last year and a half that makes you think its a given he can get back to productive levels. Either way, it would be "nuts" to give either a spot in the rotation w/o earning it in TC. Time to see who can actually back up these offseason reports of renewed commitment/ health/ improvement.....
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#683 » by tontoz » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:24 pm

It is bad enough that we have a thread devoted to a complete bum like Vesely. Do we really need to discuss him in other players' threads? He doesn't belong in the NBA and isnt worth the bandwidth.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#684 » by jivelikenice » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:52 pm

tontoz wrote:It is bad enough that we have a thread devoted to a complete bum like Vesely. Do we really need to discuss him in other players' threads? He doesn't belong in the NBA and isnt worth the bandwidth.

VESELY VESELY VESELY :evil:
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#685 » by Nivek » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:36 pm

jivelikenice wrote:
Nivek wrote:I'd take the guy who's actually produced something or a third option altogether. It'd be nuts to give Vesely a spot in the rotation unless he's radically improved.

Third option would have been fine. I don't know what it is that Booker has produced in the last year and a half that makes you think its a given he can get back to productive levels. Either way, it would be "nuts" to give either a spot in the rotation w/o earning it in TC. Time to see who can actually back up these offseason reports of renewed commitment/ health/ improvement.....

He was below average but productive at an acceptable level for a role player off the bench last season. His first two years, he was slightly better than average. That said, I agree completely that playing time should be decided through competition.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#686 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:34 pm

Nivek wrote:
jivelikenice wrote:He was productive in season 2 before the injuries. But he wasn't producitve at all last season. He should be a deep reserve on a good team, who comes in for the occasional shot of energy. His left hand dominance, lack of range, and long shooting motion just make him a spacing nightmare on offense. At least Jan keeps moving and runs away from the basket as quickly as possible!

Last season was Booker's worst as a pro, and it was still MILES better than what Vesely did last year. Not even close. A healthy Booker is a solid NBA player. Vesely could one day be as good as Booker -- if he gets better at basically everything.

Booker is almost 26 years old. He has been pretty good when healthy. He's also been unhealthy at times all three seasons, and he is undersized at PF or C.

Vesely is 23. I may be the only person who feels this way, but Jan was better than Otto Porter by a lot in summer league. He played far better as a rookie than he did last season. I think he's a serviceably decent NBA player except for his FT shooting. He moves off the ball and sets screens well. He defends pick and roll better than Booker.

JV is a guy who lacks confidence and mental toughness. I think in Europe he'd be better than Booker. I think he's potentially a decent NBA player, and a more unique player than Trevor Booker.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#687 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:37 pm

tontoz wrote:It is bad enough that we have a thread devoted to a complete bum like Vesely. Do we really need to discuss him in other players' threads? He doesn't belong in the NBA and isnt worth the bandwidth.

We must discuss Vesely. It's all about Jan Vesely.:smile:
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#688 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:42 pm

jivelikenice wrote:He was productive in season 2 before the injuries. But he wasn't producitve at all last season. He should be a deep reserve on a good team, who comes in for the occasional shot of energy. His left hand dominance, lack of range, and long shooting motion just make him a spacing nightmare on offense. At least Jan keeps moving and runs away from the basket as quickly as possible!

I will say Booker played well with Seraphin two seasons ago. Physicality and athleticism worked for him that season. He's a decent player but his contract ends this season, and I think he's a good player to trade to a team like the Lakers.
Bye bye Beal.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#689 » by Dat2U » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:56 pm

Booker is okay as a backup PF. He's fairly productive and doesn't hurt the team too much when he's out there. Of course the injury concerns have been a big issue and beyond that, he's not a guy that can consistently step out and hit jumpers so defenses can sag off of him and he still struggles mightily in defending the P&R. Those are two pretty big traits you'd want your ideal PF to have.

So bottom line, a healthy Booker is passable. But when you factor in health & fit, there's certainly some desire to see an upgrade at his position. I don't see that upgrade on this roster however. Al Harrington may be a better fit but at this stage of his career, I question whether he's still a playable option.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#690 » by tontoz » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:33 pm

Bookers inability to make foul shots is also pretty big problem for a guy who scores mainly going to the basket.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Brenice
Banned User
And1: 464

Post#691 » by Brenice » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:45 pm

Vesely is a bad player on bad teams. On good teams, he's cut during training camp.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#692 » by Nivek » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:03 pm

This discussion would be non-existent if the Wizards front office had acquired a decent big man in the offseason. I'm not talking about a Dwight Howard, but rather someone like DeJuan Blair, who would have been adequate as a stop-gap starter until Okafor returns, and then would have been a solid reserve. Then nobody would be thinking about Booker starting, which I think most of us agree we'd prefer not to see. I think Booker's role is as an energy PF off the bench.

All this said, I still think the Wizards best option at PF may turn out to be Ariza. At least until Okafor gets back and Nene can slide back to PF.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#693 » by payitforward » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:04 pm

jivelikenice wrote:I'm willing to be slightly optimistic about young/raw players like Seraphin, but I have no faith in Booker. He's undersized, is terrible defensively, is a bad fit spacing wise on offense, and can't shoot. He can say his shot has improved but the issue is the long motion.....I hope Pops beats him out.

I couldn't disagree more. His size is not a problem, he's a strong defensive player, he contributes offensively via opportunities, and his TS% is high (nor is he being asked to shoot jumpers except as a last resort).

Booker has contributed every time he's had minutes. Seraphin has never contributed much. Pops is not an NBA player; he's a camp invite -- bodies are needed. He's not competing to be on the roster; he's making some money helping out for a few weeks.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#694 » by payitforward » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:13 pm

Nivek wrote:Last season was Booker's worst as a pro....

Agree, but not by much. He's been consistently productive -- "a solid pro" as you say. Just needs to stay healthy.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#695 » by payitforward » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:23 pm

Nivek wrote:
jivelikenice wrote:

He was below average but productive at an acceptable level for a role player off the bench last season. His first two years, he was slightly better than average. That said, I agree completely that playing time should be decided through competition.

Oh, I don't think so! What he was was injured, and that to be sure is a negative. But on the court last year? Compare him to two subs people seem to like a lot who played similar minutes per game, Taj Gibson and Nick Collison:

http://www.draftexpress.com/stats.php?y ... 64%5D=1164

He is a much better rebounder than either of those guys, especially offensively (where it is the larger contribution). In fact, in all he's the most productive of the 3.

If you look at WS40 of all guys who played any minutes at the 4 last year, Booker is in the top 30%.
RealGM

Post#696 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:33 pm

Nivek wrote:This discussion would be non-existent if the Wizards front office had acquired a decent big man in the offseason. I'm not talking about a Dwight Howard, but rather someone like DeJuan Blair, who would have been adequate as a stop-gap starter until Okafor returns, and then would have been a solid reserve. Then nobody would be thinking about Booker starting, which I think most of us agree we'd prefer not to see. I think Booker's role is as an energy PF off the bench.

All this said, I still think the Wizards best option at PF may turn out to be Ariza. At least until Okafor gets back and Nene can slide back to PF.

Had the Wizards drafted Olynyk or Zeller instead of Porter, and if they signed Blair, they'd be a balanced, deep, playoff -bound team.
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#697 » by closg00 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:40 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Nivek wrote:This discussion would be non-existent if the Wizards front office had acquired a decent big man in the offseason. I'm not talking about a Dwight Howard, but rather someone like DeJuan Blair, who would have been adequate as a stop-gap starter until Okafor returns, and then would have been a solid reserve. Then nobody would be thinking about Booker starting, which I think most of us agree we'd prefer not to see. I think Booker's role is as an energy PF off the bench.

Had the Wizards drafted Olynyk or Zeller instead of Porter, and if they signed Blair, they'd be a balanced, deep, playoff -bound team.

Agreed, but Ted doesn't know enough about Basketball to realize that this was possible unfortunately.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#698 » by Nivek » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:18 pm

payitforward wrote:
Nivek wrote:
jivelikenice wrote:

Oh, I don't think so! What he was was injured, and that to be sure is a negative. But on the court last year? Compare him to two subs people seem to like a lot who played similar minutes per game, Taj Gibson and Nick Collison:

http://www.draftexpress.com/stats.php?y ... 64%5D=1164

He is a much better rebounder than either of those guys, especially offensively (where it is the larger contribution). In fact, in all he's the most productive of the 3.

If you look at WS40 of all guys who played any minutes at the 4 last year, Booker is in the top 30%.

See, this is why I should look things up instead of relying on memory. For some reason, I recollected Booker finishing the season with a PPA in the 80s -- it was actually 96, which is basically average. Collison and Gibson both rated in the 80s.

Booker is the best offensive rebounder of the three, and gets defensive boards about as well as Gibson (both better than Collison. Collison is the best passer of the bunch and makes a high percentage of the few shots he takes. Booker and Collison get a fairly high number of steals for a PF; Gibson is the best shot-blocker of the bunch.

I'd like to see Booker get his FT% back to the 67% range (where he was as a rookie).
-- Malcolm Gladwell

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#699 » by hands11 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:01 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

But I thought you were upset they block them from playing time last year by bringing in players who would play ahead of them. Now they are a year older and seem to have put in good summers. Why not be excited knowing you will get to see what they can do this year, when they should be better prepared then last year and the team more seasoned to integrate them?

I thought Zeller was viable as an option along with other players, but its not hard to follow their logic regarding the direction they went. If Kevin can back up Nene at center with a S4 on the court with him, the direction they went will work out. I don't think its a stretch to things Kevin is ready to man up and fill that role. And remember, he is actually an effective scorer when is big behind is posted in the paint.

The bigger issue will boil down to, what kind of player is Otto. We have seen so little of him, there is no telling at this point.

Keep them long term or not, I am excited to see what Kevin, Ves and Booker can contribute this year. It will also be fun to see what all those other draft pick can do. Right across the board. VO, Bennett, Len, Burke, CJM, Kelly, Noel, McClemore, Pierre, etc. And of course... Otto. I followed this class closer then classes in the past so it should be fun to watch since I know who the player are better and I know their games better.

Looking forward to it.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#700 » by closg00 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:04 pm

Otto Porter Jr. and Trevor Booker were both limited because of injuries for the second day of training camp at George Mason’s Patriot Center, but Coach Randy Wittman is optimistic that both will soon return to action.

Booker is looking to bounce back from an injury-plagued season. He said that he had shock wave therapy three weeks ago on the same knee that caused him to miss 24 games. But Booker began experiencing some discomfort a few days before camp began.

“I think I may have starting playing pick up too early,” Booker said. “My knee got a little sore but it’s feeling pretty good right now and I talked to the doctor today. He said it’s looking good. He said to take it day by day'.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wiz ... turn-soon/

ENOUGH!!! I want Booker and Singleton waived yesterday. This organization would rather carry injured players with no future with the team because they have guaranteed deals. So tired of this.

Return to Washington Wizards