ImageImageImageImageImage

Trevor Booker

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, WizStorm, miller31time, pineappleheadindc

User avatar
hands11
RealGM
Posts: 30,903
And1: 2,427
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Trevor Booker 

Post#616 » by hands11 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:51 am

Booker Take

http://www.nba.com/wizards/trevors-take-part-1

Hmmm. Fitzgerald.

Trevor Fitzgerald Booker

This cat is to cool. I hope he is on the team next year. Year 3 of Trevor should be a good year.
Step by Step - viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1269473&start=45&p=36843686&view=show#p36843686" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paul Pierce is not only THE TRUTH.. HE IS FREAKN YODA
User avatar
FAH1223
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,734
And1: 738
Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
       

Re: Trevor Booker 

Post#617 » by FAH1223 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:04 am

i like trevor but he isn't anything more than a spark off the bench

he will never be a starting caliber 4
Image
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 41,219
And1: 2,142
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Trevor Booker 

Post#618 » by nate33 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:38 pm

FAH1223 wrote:i like trevor but he isn't anything more than a spark off the bench

he will never be a starting caliber 4

I don't know about that.

I thought the same thing by the end of last year but I wasn't anticipating Booker's dramatic improvement in shooting. His shooting percentage from 16-23 feet has improved from 18% last year to 34% this year (on triple the number of attempts per game). 34% is still somewhat mediocre, but if he continues to improve to the point where he's a deadly knock-down shooter from that range and gets to, say, 43%, then he will be a respectable starting caliber player.

I don't think it's possible for him to become an above average starter, but he can be a serviceable starter, better than merely a spark off the bench. It's not out of the realm of possibility that he can be roughly as good as Udonis Haslem or Paul Millsap.
User avatar
closg00
RealGM
Posts: 16,056
And1: 377
Joined: Nov 21, 2004

Re: Trevor Booker 

Post#619 » by closg00 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:52 pm

What's the deal with Bookers injury?
Guys on a message board could do a better job managing the Wizards than Ernie Grunfeld.
dobrojim
RealGM
Posts: 11,930
And1: 347
Joined: Sep 16, 2004

Re: Trevor Booker 

Post#620 » by dobrojim » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:31 pm

what he said^

prognosis?

expected return?

edit - so I went back a few days on Wiz Insider and rfreshed my mem on
what his injury even was

hamstring

My thought - it's almost a 2 edge sword when a guy is a gym/work-out rat
and plays as hard as Book does. Hard to know when enough is enough.

edit 2 - Book's injuries seem to be more of the overuse variety. His physique
is high strung. That's part of what makes him a stud athlete in the realm of
professional athletes. But it's hard for people with that mindset, extremely hard worker,
to moderate enough to not be susceptible to nagging and sometimes chronic injuries.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity
dobrojim
RealGM
Posts: 11,930
And1: 347
Joined: Sep 16, 2004

Re: Trevor Booker 

Post#621 » by dobrojim » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:22 pm

encouraged that Book is reportedly going to play tonight
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity
User avatar
hands11
RealGM
Posts: 30,903
And1: 2,427
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Trevor Booker 

Post#622 » by hands11 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:59 am

dobrojim wrote:encouraged that Book is reportedly going to play tonight


Welcome back Mr Booker 6-8 from the floor in in 17 minutes.
Step by Step - viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1269473&start=45&p=36843686&view=show#p36843686" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paul Pierce is not only THE TRUTH.. HE IS FREAKN YODA
Brenice
Banned User
Posts: 4,071
And1: 464
Joined: Dec 27, 2004
Location: DC

Re: Trevor Booker 

Post#623 » by Brenice » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:12 pm

I'd rather have a short overachiever with a high motor than a tall athletic, underachiever. Booker sets a tone with his take-no-prisoners style. He, along with Seraphin, play physically tough, and that has been absent while we played with softies, Antawn, Brendan, Blatche, and JaVale.
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 41,219
And1: 2,142
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Trevor Booker 

Post#624 » by nate33 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:59 pm

So far this pre-season, Trevor Booker has played 39 minutes. During those 39 minutes, he has tabulated 34 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals and just 1 turnover while shooting 64% from the field.
payitforward
Analyst
Posts: 3,661
And1: 566
Joined: May 02, 2012

Re: Trevor Booker 

Post#625 » by payitforward » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:05 pm

nate33 wrote:So far this pre-season, Trevor Booker has played 39 minutes. During those 39 minutes, he has tabulated 34 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals and just 1 turnover while shooting 64% from the field.

I liked Booker when we drafted him -- thought it was a good trade up to get him -- although I might have picked Damion James to tell the truth.

Booker had an outstanding rookie season and a slightly better year 2. Injuries are the issue for him. If he can play 1500-2000 minutes this year, I expect it'll be his best. He's 24; should be ready to hit his stride.

Don't sleep on Damion James, btw -- I still think he'll be an effective starter in the league and expect a strong season from him this year, now that he's back from nagging injuries. I would have worked to get him this Summer.
People say I'm mellowing with age. Nah.

It is still not possible to formulate a counter-argument -- even if I say... Is so!
REDardWIZskin
Senior
Posts: 715
And1: 2
Joined: Jul 21, 2009
Location: DC

Re: Trevor Booker 

Post#626 » by REDardWIZskin » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:11 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing Booker in his match up against Bosh next week. Many speculate that the reason we may end up parting ways with Book is because of his height or lack there of, which possibly limits his upside. Bosh could be a good test. If he plays serviceable D it will be a good sign IMO.
Sit back and watch WALL WORK!! >:-)
User avatar
closg00
RealGM
Posts: 16,056
And1: 377
Joined: Nov 21, 2004

Re: Trevor Booker 

Post#627 » by closg00 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:47 pm

REDardWIZskin wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing Booker in his match up against Bosh next week. Many speculate that the reason we may end up parting ways with Book is because of his height or lack there of, which possibly limits his upside. Bosh could be a good test. If he plays serviceable D it will be a good sign IMO.


That's a horrible match-up, Book doesn't have the length to guard taller/lanky players.
Guys on a message board could do a better job managing the Wizards than Ernie Grunfeld.
nuposse04
General Manager
Posts: 8,661
And1: 1,591
Joined: Jul 20, 2004
Location: on a rock
   

Re: Trevor Booker 

Post#628 » by nuposse04 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:50 pm

I'd rather have booker on LeBron, he's the only guy on our squad who could match LBJ's physicality in the post without giving up too much on speed and athleticism. Offensively he'd probably be shut down by LBJ, but if we have one guy who has any hope of slowing LBJ at all, it is probably Booker.
payitforward
Analyst
Posts: 3,661
And1: 566
Joined: May 02, 2012

Re: Trevor Booker 

Post#629 » by payitforward » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:39 pm

REDardWIZskin wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing Booker in his match up against Bosh next week. Many speculate that the reason we may end up parting ways with Book is because of his height or lack there of, which possibly limits his upside. Bosh could be a good test. If he plays serviceable D it will be a good sign IMO.

Of course it would be good if Booker -- with all his other qualities -- were an inch taller. Duh. Even better 2 inches taller. Hey, how about if he were 7'2".

Other than the above, there is nothing whatever to issue of his height. If you list the 4s in the league from tallest to shortest, your list will have no statistically meaningful correlation with another list of 4s, this time from best to worst.
People say I'm mellowing with age. Nah.

It is still not possible to formulate a counter-argument -- even if I say... Is so!
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
Posts: 16,269
And1: 391
Joined: Jul 12, 2003
Location: Game: Blouses.

Re: Trevor Booker 

Post#630 » by I_Like_Dirt » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:10 pm

closg00 wrote:That's a horrible match-up, Book doesn't have the length to guard taller/lanky players.


I'm not really sure who a good match up against Bosh is. You need a collection of solid defensive players working in unison to stop him or the Heat in general, or you just hope they fall asleep because they're tired of winning.
Prepare to be RASHOWNED!
fishercob
RealGM
Posts: 12,916
And1: 1,049
Joined: Apr 25, 2002
Location: Tenleytown, DC

Re: Trevor Booker 

Post#631 » by fishercob » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:15 pm

The one thing that keeps Booker at just "good" as opposed to "indispensable" is his defensive rebounding.

Look at him last year versus newly-minted $12M man Kris Humphries:

http://bkref.com/tiny/FH2nQ
http://bkref.com/tiny/At9k9

Not to say that Hump deserves all of that $12M, but the one area where he's markedly better is on the defensive boards.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
User avatar
tontoz
RealGM
Posts: 14,219
And1: 886
Joined: Apr 11, 2005

Re: Trevor Booker 

Post#632 » by tontoz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:38 pm

fishercob wrote:The one thing that keeps Booker at just "good" as opposed to "indispensable" is his defensive rebounding.

Look at him last year versus newly-minted $12M man Kris Humphries:

http://bkref.com/tiny/FH2nQ
http://bkref.com/tiny/At9k9

Not to say that Hump deserves all of that $12M, but the one area where he's markedly better is on the defensive boards.



Yeah there is no reason for Booker not to be a strong rebounder. He is never going to be a big scorer so if he wants a long, successful career he needs to really step it up on the boards.

Booker's standing reach is only .5" less than Humphries.
payitforward
Analyst
Posts: 3,661
And1: 566
Joined: May 02, 2012

Re: Trevor Booker 

Post#633 » by payitforward » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:05 am

tontoz wrote:
fishercob wrote:The one thing that keeps Booker at just "good" as opposed to "indispensable" is his defensive rebounding.

Look at him last year versus newly-minted $12M man Kris Humphries:

http://bkref.com/tiny/FH2nQ
http://bkref.com/tiny/At9k9

Not to say that Hump deserves all of that $12M, but the one area where he's markedly better is on the defensive boards.

Yeah there is no reason for Booker not to be a strong rebounder. He is never going to be a big scorer so if he wants a long, successful career he needs to really step it up on the boards.

Booker's standing reach is only .5" less than Humphries.

It'd be great if Book was a better rebounder, but he can have a long successful career in the NBA doing just what he's doing right now. He's pretty clearly in the top 30% of 4s in the league. His only problem is staying on the court. Injuries.
People say I'm mellowing with age. Nah.

It is still not possible to formulate a counter-argument -- even if I say... Is so!
fishercob
RealGM
Posts: 12,916
And1: 1,049
Joined: Apr 25, 2002
Location: Tenleytown, DC

Re: Trevor Booker 

Post#634 » by fishercob » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:28 am

payitforward wrote:
tontoz wrote:
fishercob wrote:The one thing that keeps Booker at just "good" as opposed to "indispensable" is his defensive rebounding.

Look at him last year versus newly-minted $12M man Kris Humphries:

http://bkref.com/tiny/FH2nQ
http://bkref.com/tiny/At9k9

Not to say that Hump deserves all of that $12M, but the one area where he's markedly better is on the defensive boards.

Yeah there is no reason for Booker not to be a strong rebounder. He is never going to be a big scorer so if he wants a long, successful career he needs to really step it up on the boards.

Booker's standing reach is only .5" less than Humphries.

It'd be great if Book was a better rebounder, but he can have a long successful career in the NBA doing just what he's doing right now. He's pretty clearly in the top 30% of 4s in the league. His only problem is staying on the court. Injuries.


PIF, it seems as if much of your analysis of players is based on how they compare to others at their position. I am curious as to what informs this -- I.e. a particular book or study -- particularly in light of the Heat's attempt to move to "positionless" basketball.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
payitforward
Analyst
Posts: 3,661
And1: 566
Joined: May 02, 2012

Re: Trevor Booker 

Post#635 » by payitforward » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:17 pm

fishercob wrote:
payitforward wrote:It'd be great if Book was a better rebounder, but he can have a long successful career in the NBA doing just what he's doing right now. He's pretty clearly in the top 30% of 4s in the league. His only problem is staying on the court. Injuries.


PIF, it seems as if much of your analysis of players is based on how they compare to others at their position. I am curious as to what informs this -- I.e. a particular book or study -- particularly in light of the Heat's attempt to move to "positionless" basketball.

I don't know how else you would know a player was good except in relation to other players.

Nothing complicated at all in how I think about it -- look at their numbers for what I think are the key stats: TS%, rebounding rate, steals and turnovers. Then compare to others at their position. If I'm comparing at a single position, I can use an overall measure like WS40, but obviously you want to look at the component numbers as well.

"Positionless basketball" is a concept. Somebody's bringing the ball up, and they ain't counting on that guy to lead them in rebounds. LeBron is a superstar. mega superstar. Add Wade, etc. -- that's why they're good.
People say I'm mellowing with age. Nah.

It is still not possible to formulate a counter-argument -- even if I say... Is so!

Return to Washington Wizards