The Official Yi Jianlian Shrine

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Re: The Official Yi Jianlian Shrine 

Post#81 » by montestewart » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:47 pm

No high expectations for Yi, especially after the recent reports, but here in the shrine, I like to focus on the (increasingly distant) possibility that a better defined role, better strength conditining, and some targeted coaching might prod him forward a little. If he makes no progress, nothing much lost, and I'm qute happy they picked him up for nothing rather than resigning Oberto. My only objection to the Yi-Ross trade was thinking NJ might have given some incentive for helping them reduce salary to sign all those FAs they never signed. Water under the bridge now. Come on Yi. Show the doubters. The new Agent 0.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,356

Post#82 » by doclinkin » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:47 pm

For what it's worth, Yi was playing his 3rd game in 4 days, as his team's sole high-usage player. A role he's un-used to both in the pros and playing next to Yao. Went for 15 & 11 against Canada, in Canada, travel, then 13 against the US, then struggled against Goliath PJR. I didn't see the PR-China game but reports said Yi was able to get open for his shot, but didn't have his legs for the follow-through, missed short. Couldn't get much done on the interior against the 7'4" RJRamos.

Just so you know, repeating the adage 'bigs take a while to develop' PJRamos played in the Spanish ACB league, the 2nd best domestic league in the world, and won MVP of their All-star game in '08. (I know, why don't we hire that guy...)

Anyway, not making excuses for the guy, just saying since this is the Yi shrine, let not an uncharitable word be spoken 'gainst his name, and all.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,993

Post#83 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:04 pm

doclinkin wrote:For what it's worth, Yi was playing his 3rd game in 4 days, as his team's sole high-usage player. A role he's un-used to both in the pros and playing next to Yao. Went for 15 & 11 against Canada, in Canada, travel, then 13 against the US, then struggled against Goliath PJR. I didn't see the PR-China game but reports said Yi was able to get open for his shot, but didn't have his legs for the follow-through, missed short. Couldn't get much done on the interior against the 7'4" RJRamos.

Just so you know, repeating the adage 'bigs take a while to develop' PJRamos played in the Spanish ACB league, the 2nd best domestic league in the world, and won MVP of their All-star game in '08. (I know, why don't we hire that guy...)

Anyway, not making excuses for the guy, just saying since this is the Yi shrine, let not an uncharitable word be spoken 'gainst his name, and all.

+1
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#84 » by closg00 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:45 pm

Nice reading for a slow monday, it's been covered before but........ Thanks Mike Prada.
http://www.bulletsforever.com/2010/8/23 ... ake-a-step
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#85 » by Dat2U » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:45 pm

montestewart wrote:No high expectations for Yi, especially after the recent reports, but here in the shrine, I like to focus on the (increasingly distant) possibility that a better defined role, better strength conditining, and some targeted coaching might prod him forward a little. If he makes no progress, nothing much lost, and I'm qute happy they picked him up for nothing rather than resigning Oberto. My only objection to the Yi-Ross trade was thinking NJ might have given some incentive for helping them reduce salary to sign all those FAs they never signed. Water under the bridge now. Come on Yi. Show the doubters. The new Agent 0.

Yeah, unless NJ was willing send over Damion James, I would have passed.

Yi is the 7-0 version of Nick Young. Athletic, skilled and plays basketball like he's mentally challenged.
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#86 » by Ed Wood » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:38 am

Dat2U wrote:
montestewart wrote:No high expectations for Yi, especially after the recent reports, but here in the shrine, I like to focus on the (increasingly distant) possibility that a better defined role, better strength conditining, and some targeted coaching might prod him forward a little. If he makes no progress, nothing much lost, and I'm qute happy they picked him up for nothing rather than resigning Oberto. My only objection to the Yi-Ross trade was thinking NJ might have given some incentive for helping them reduce salary to sign all those FAs they never signed. Water under the bridge now. Come on Yi. Show the doubters. The new Agent 0.

Yi is the 7-0 version of Nick Young. Athletic, skilled and plays basketball like he's mentally challenged.

I don't even know if this is really in defense of Yi but if Nick ever kills anybody his lawyer would do well to show the jury his youtube mixes en route to an insanity plea. Yi's game isn't really inexplicable in the same way; he just happens to have had the misfortune to have caught the Basketball Gods on a particularly conservation-minded day and had Jarvis Hayes' hoop dream to shoot long twos in the face of anything, be it defender or the ride of the four horsemen, recycled in him.

Edit: Nick, if you can find it in yourself to both kill a man and to look past my lack of experience and qualification to serve as your defense here is a preview of what your millions might earn you:

*A montage of really bizarre shots and walking all wiggly*

Ed Wood, Attorney at Law: "You see, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, that my client must be found innocent by way of insanity because he did not understand what he did was wrong. I have provided ample evidence that Nick Young does not know when not to shoot."
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#87 » by verbal8 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:13 pm

You know John Wall might be just what Yi and Nick Young need. There are some improvements that they both need to make independent of how Wall can help their games. Yi needs to play at least passable defense and Young needs to rebound at a semi-respectable rate.

With Wall attacking the basket and distributing it gives them both a chance to become spot-up 3 point shooters rather than settling for so many long 2 pointers. I think both could also do well with the transition opportunities that Wall will create.
pennyliu123
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#88 » by pennyliu123 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:04 pm

Good game for Yi tonight, 26p 14r against Greece.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#89 » by montestewart » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:23 pm

pennyliu123 wrote:Good game for Yi tonight, 26p 24r against Greece.

Employing the audio-tell-yi-o-tally-o-count for the upcoming NBA season, we can project that Yi will have 8.7 PPG and 4.7 RBPG. Go Yi!
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#90 » by hands11 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:21 pm

301baller wrote:
azuresou1 wrote:Seriously? Do you really not see the difference?

Games >=20 points
Yi: 13
Oberto: 2

Games >= 10 rebounds
Yi: 22
Oberto: 13

Oberto: 35

Per 36 numbers:
Yi: 13.6 PPG, 8.1 RPG, 1.0APG, 0.8 STL, 1.1 BLK, 1.7 TO, 3.7 PF
Oberto: 4.6 PPG, 5.8 RPG, 2.8 APG, 0.6 STL, 0.5 BLK, 2.0 TO, 6.7 PF

If you really don't see the difference, you probably should just give up on life.

dude i don't give a f about those stats. that's meaningless. this team needs defense more than another soft punk ass 7 footer. Yi looked like trash against a bum who got ran outta the league. why do u think the Nets were so ecstatic to get rid of him??

so now you think becuz Yi's sorry ass had a couple good games that his BUM ass is worth $4 million/yr when OBERTO plays for the minimum and plays defense???? you're (Please Use More Appropriate Word)

Chill with the (Please Use More Appropriate Word) comments. There is no need for that here.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#91 » by hands11 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:24 pm

Dat2U wrote:

Hold on a sec. McGee is our 7-1 Nick Young. Yi is going to have to get in line behind McGee.
pennyliu123
Freshman

Post#92 » by pennyliu123 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:29 pm

26p 9r in the back to back game against Cote d'ivoire, another good game.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#93 » by willbcocks » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:53 pm

Do offense to the Ivory Coast, but they made the World Championships? Did Drogba switch sports?
pennyliu123
Freshman

Post#94 » by pennyliu123 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:57 am

I've no idea about that, maybe the African don't play basketball a lot, so every country have the chance if they are lucky enough.
NOODLESTYLE
Lead Assistant
And1: 828

Post#95 » by NOODLESTYLE » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:35 am

Yi still likes to hang on the rim after his 2 hand dunks, just like back in the day :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPSgUj1l8RA[/youtube]
NOODLESTYLE
Lead Assistant

Post#96 » by NOODLESTYLE » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:43 am

Yi put up promising numbers in his first 2 games thus far, but this is what I expected of Yi when he's the #1 option on the team. If Yao was not hurt and actually playing in the WC's, we might very well see a totally different Yi. Greece also was without their big guy Sofo, the same guy Krstic ran away from, that was able to dominate team USA in the last WC's. Ivory Coast, well is Ivory Coast.

The big test now for Yi is against Puerto Rico, which includes Ramos, and all the teams after this. He has already struggled to hold his own against bigger and more physical players. If Yi can show that he can hold his own and put numbers that are close to what he's averaging after 2 games, then there's even more hope for him.

At the end of the day though, the question still remains is if can Yi put up a consistent performance in the majority of the NBA games he plays in.
NOODLESTYLE
Lead Assistant

Post#97 » by NOODLESTYLE » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:54 am

dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#98 » by dangermouse » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:55 am

The Crab Dribble has met its match:

The Crab Defense.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#99 » by BigA » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:21 pm

It's been 7 or 8 hours since we've had any news about Yi, and I'm Jonesing.
tkunit
Head Coach
And1: 7

Post#100 » by tkunit » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:08 pm

dangermouse wrote:The Crab Dribble has met its match:

The Crab Defense.

must have finished watching kung fu hustle

Return to Washington Wizards