ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards medical staff issues

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Re: Wizards medical staff issues 

Post#421 » by Higga » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:21 pm

I don't get how/why Ted hasn't completely revamped the medical staff. That should have been priority #1 when taking over.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
JonathanJoseph
Bench Warmer
And1: 22

Post#422 » by JonathanJoseph » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:31 pm

Higga wrote:I don't get how/why Ted hasn't completely revamped the medical staff. That should have been priority #1 when taking over.

Yup. Moreso than EG. It's time for a complete housecleaning of everything left in place from the Pollin era.
Twitter: @jonathanjoseph
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Post#423 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:40 pm

JonathanJoseph wrote: Yes it was a massive organizational failure not to have the medical staff on top of the recovery of the player you've spent $170M on.

Well, that about sums it up. That's what makes the whole episode so weird. You just mortgaged your franchise on this guy. You hear reports that he's out running on cement courts, dragging a parachute around the streets of dc. How do you allow that to happen? You either don't know that it's a bad idea, and are therefore incompetent, or you know it's a bad idea but don't do anything about it, which means you are incompetent AND INSANE.

Whoever is responsible for Arenas' rehab plan -- I hope they got FIRED FIRED FIRED. I wish I knew who it was so I could egg their house on halloween.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Post#424 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:42 pm

Higga wrote:I don't get how/why Ted hasn't completely revamped the medical staff. That should have been priority #1 when taking over.

As far as we know, that's what happened. Ted's blog post on the subject is pretty vague -- something like "it's not like we have just one guy. We have a team of guys whose composition changes over the years."

As far as we know that's Ted speak for "Yes I fired everyone but I'm not going to say it in public, that's bad PR."
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,348

Post#425 » by Kanyewest » Fri May 8, 2015 6:56 pm

Add this one to the list

Wall refused to accept the initial diagnosis of a “real, real bad sprain” after X-rays immediately following the game were negative. According to a person with knowledge of the situation, Wall clashed with team medical staffers before sitting out Tuesday because he felt something more serious had caused his hand to explode. After a few days of confusion and concern, Wall got the confirmation of bone fractures that he never really wanted, leaving fans of the team with broken hearts.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wi ... orts_pop_b
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#426 » by fishercob » Fri May 8, 2015 6:59 pm

Kanyewest wrote:Add this one to the list

Wall refused to accept the initial diagnosis of a “real, real bad sprain” after X-rays immediately following the game were negative. According to a person with knowledge of the situation, Wall clashed with team medical staffers before sitting out Tuesday because he felt something more serious had caused his hand to explode. After a few days of confusion and concern, Wall got the confirmation of bone fractures that he never really wanted, leaving fans of the team with broken hearts.

Firstly, it was an "initial" diagnosis based on an X-ray done at Phillips Arena, not a final diagnosis.

Secondly, non-displaced fractures are supposedly difficult to detect on an x-ray. But medicine is trial and error -- always. Doctors use the information that they have to make their best guesses based on data, history, etc., but good doctors miss diagnoses all the time.

I know emotions are running high right now, but to somehow lay blame for John's misfortune at the feet of ownership and the medical staff is misguided IMO.

Also, Randy is vehemently refuting Lee's assertion that Wall clashed with the med staff in a way I have never seen before. One has to wonder why he'd be compelled to do so other than to set the record straight.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#427 » by Ruzious » Fri May 8, 2015 7:00 pm

So we're discussing this on 3 or 4 different threads now - something that's likely a non-issue.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#428 » by FAH1223 » Fri May 8, 2015 7:21 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-u-k6G4QzA[/youtube]
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#429 » by Dat2U » Fri May 8, 2015 7:53 pm

The medical staff they have now is different from the staff they had been using for years. I think a change was made in 2013?
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#430 » by Kanyewest » Fri May 8, 2015 8:14 pm

FAH1223 wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-u-k6G4QzA[/youtube]

Is Michael Lee the one who said "you brought it up"?
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#431 » by Kanyewest » Fri May 8, 2015 8:18 pm

fishercob wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:Add this one to the list

Firstly, it was an "initial" diagnosis based on an X-ray done at Phillips Arena, not a final diagnosis.

Secondly, non-displaced fractures are supposedly difficult to detect on an x-ray. But medicine is trial and error -- always. Doctors use the information that they have to make their best guesses based on data, history, etc., but good doctors miss diagnoses all the time.

I know emotions are running high right now, but to somehow lay blame for John's misfortune at the feet of ownership and the medical staff is misguided IMO.

Also, Randy is vehemently refuting Lee's assertion that Wall clashed with the med staff in a way I have never seen before. One has to wonder why he'd be compelled to do so other than to set the record straight.

I posted the quote from the Post and wasn't sure what to make from it. But it seems like you are right that Wall didn't really "clash" with the doctors. It just seems like the doctors couldn't observe the injury at first but did ask questions along the way to make sure that Wall was OK. While the x-rays didn't diagnose the injury, Wall still felt the pain and essentially did the opposite of an RG3 and IMO Wall's not playing through injury should be commended rather than ignoring the injury and risking his future.

I will say that Wittman may be compelled to defend the medical staff because a bad reputation on the medical staff gives a bad reputation to the organization from everyone in it.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#432 » by FAH1223 » Fri May 8, 2015 8:23 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-u-k6G4QzA[/youtube]

Is Michael Lee the one who said "you brought it up"?

yup
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 10,999

Post#433 » by exculpatory » Fri May 8, 2015 9:14 pm

I am frustrated.

I am a VERY smart doc, but my expertise stops after endocrinology & a well rounded knowledge of Internal Medicine per se. My Ortho knowledge is limited to the athletic injuries I have personally endured - which does not include serious hand/wrist injuries.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#434 » by tontoz » Fri May 8, 2015 9:39 pm

I went to the ER once with a ruptured appendix. The doctor there thought i had a virus and just gave me some painkillers which was like putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound.

Stuff happens
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
trast66
Rookie
And1: 614

Post#435 » by trast66 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:50 pm

How does John's IV for a virus result in fluid on the knee? Not a Doctor, but that seems weird.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#436 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:12 pm

trast66 wrote:How does John's IV for a virus result in fluid on the knee? Not a Doctor, but that seems weird.

My sense is he can cure this particularly malady with orange juice, worchester sauce and a raw egg.
In Rizzo we trust
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#437 » by FAH1223 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:19 pm

trast66 wrote:How does John's IV for a virus result in fluid on the knee? Not a Doctor, but that seems weird.

Side effect

https://www.livestrong.com/article/253608-side-effects-of-iv-fluid-over-infusion/
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#438 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:18 pm

FAH1223 wrote:

Side effect

https://www.livestrong.com/article/253608-side-effects-of-iv-fluid-over-infusion/

Still don’t understand how the fluid ends up pooling in the knee. Why wouldn’t it make its way to the lower extremities— feet and ankles?
In Rizzo we trust
trast66
Rookie
And1: 614

Post#439 » by trast66 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:34 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:

Side effect

Still don’t understand how the fluid ends up pooling in the knee. Why wouldn’t it make its way to the lower extremities— feet and ankles?

Either they are incompetent or untruthful.

Return to Washington Wizards